Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I'm gonna be banned soon (but I will be back to shitpost about the Giants) so this seems like a good time to stop being bitter about the nlds and say: congrats Cubs fans.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I feel like Brian McCann would be an upgrade for a lot of teams. Off the top of my head, the Astros, M's, Nats are contenders who could use him. Tigers, maybe? Are they still committed to their young guy? Or how about a bad team like the Braves who think they could contend by 2018.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I hope they get rid of the QO in the new CBA. It just screws over a handful of mid-tier free agents. If the owners really need free agent compensation there's gotta be a fairer way to do it.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Passan is reporting that free agent compensation might change in the new CBA.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/798242553124573184

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/798244640424071168

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

This has to be the worst bunch of free agent SPs like, ever, right? Jason Hammel, Charlie Morton, Ivan Nova, Rich "Blister" Hill and a couple of senior citizens. Jeez

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Astros making some moves today

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/799385323801194496

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/799385540323934208

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Reddick was good in Oakland. Something of a fan favorite too, I know a lot of A's fans wanted them to offer him an extension last season. I think he gets a pass for sucking in LA because he was coming back from a broken thumb.

Meanwhile, that's one less OF for the Giants to sign. But honestly I would be kind of OK with a Parker/Williamson platoon in left. Spend money on the bullpen first, IMO.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/roster-size-active-september-call-ups-relievers-pace-of-play-rob-manfred-cba-owners-ken-rosenthal-111716

The latest rumor to leak out of the CBA negotiations is that teams might get a 26th roster spot next year, something the union has been pushing for a while now - in exchange for drastically limiting September callups. Rosenthal says rosters might expand to only 28 in the final month, instead of letting everyone on the 40-man come up

So basically Bochy gets an extra reliever to play matchups with all year, but he can't really go nuts in September anymore :haw: Seriously though, September callups own, don't get rid of them please.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

So the White Sox are having a fire sale, and Detroit is looking to ship out some high-priced vets to cut payroll? AL Central is gonna be real bad next year. Tigers should get a nice haul for Kinsler and JD Martinez at least, if they really intend to trade them.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

TheChaosPath posted:

If your goal is to win 3-4 coin tosses in a row, your plan to achieve that goal should be centered around making it to the coin toss round as many times as possible, not gluing an extra milligram to one side of the coin for one season

I pretty much agree. But it should be noted that you're a Braves fan, and thus obligated to say that sustained regular season success > winning World Series :P

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

who?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Is it Spring Training yet?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Speaking of players the Pirates fleeced for Nate McLouth, whatever happened to Gorkys Hernandez?

Appeared out of nowhere in August and played a bunch for the Giants down the stretch. I mean he was in AAA obviously but I'd literally never heard of him until they called him up. He started a playoff game!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

ego symphonic posted:

The Nats need a centerfielder :(

You can have Denard Span back if you want him. I'm mostly kidding but that signing didn't work out as well as I'd hoped.

New rule: never sign a speed + defense guy with gray in his beard, it will only end in tears.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/804141668547051520

Whoa, turns out September callups are still a thing after all. Great news IMO, they give fans of losing teams something to get excited about late in the season. The extra roster spot would've been nice but not worth the tradeoff.

efb i guess

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Pretty surprised that the DBacks nontendered Welington Castillo, he was only due to make like $6 million in arb and power hitting catchers don't exactly grow on trees. I guess the writing was on the wall when they signed Jeff Mathis but that's a huge downgrade to save a couple million bucks.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I wonder if the Moncada signing freaked out some of the owners, and that's why they took such a hard line on signing bonuses for foreign ballplayers. I mean, $30+ million is a shitload to give a teenager who is years away from the majors. And when you factor in penalties, Moncada cost the Sox $63 million just to sign. That's more than some teams' payrolls. Honestly, some kind of cap on international signing bonuses is probably a good idea. But $5 million per team per year, that's a joke.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

There's like a 0.001% chance Mark McGwire gets elected to the Hall of Fame today, by the latest incarnation of the Veteran's Committee. That would own.

But realistically it'll be Bud Selig, or no one.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Man I dunno. Melancon is fine, but if you're gonna pay for a premium closer, why not give a 5th year and a few more $ to the super-elite, all-time great reliever?

BTW can we all agree that Chapman is at least a top 10 all-time RP? Or has he not pitched long enough to compare fairly to guys like Mo, Wagner, Hoffman, Eck, etc.? It's tricky to compare across eras, Chapman's insane K rate isn't quite as impressive nowadays when every team has a dude who throws high 90s and strikes out a million batters, but on a per inning basis I think Aroldis stacks up well against any of those guys.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

"A few more $"

I mean I know I've been bitching about how lackluster the Beltran/Reddick/McCann/Morton offseason has been, but you don't have to sign literally the best player at any position you fill

If Chapman gets that craaazy 5/$100M contract everyone's been lolling about, that would be $4.5M more AAV than Melancon got. And yeah a 5th year, but Chapman is 3 years younger. He was easily worth the extra money, IMO. Go big or go home.

Anyway. Melancon is fine and the Giants bullpen is gonna look a lot different next year. Casilla/Romo/Lopez were the core of that pen for like 7 years. I guess with MM as the closer, Derek Law becomes the setup guy and Strickland/Will Smith pitch the 7th based on matchups? And Okert is the LOOGY? I can live with that.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Could Edwin play first base every day for an NL team or does he need to DH.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Holy loving poo poo, now that's a trade

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

The Red Sox got Sale in a relative fleecing, it should have hurt way more to get him

Moncada is the #1 overall prospect. .294/ .407/ .511 in the minors last year. The Red Sox spent $63 million to sign him. He is a huge get for the White Sox.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bewbies posted:

I feel like Sale and that contract was one of the more valuable trade chips in MLB and that haul while impressive is nowhere near what he should have brought. What is the deal here

Moncada's value right now is approximately what Kris Bryant's would've been, if the Cubs traded him prior to 2015, if that helps. He is that level of prospect.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I'm still not sure what I think about the ChiSox blowing it up and starting over. They probably weren't competing in 2017 without adding several free agents, in a terrible market for FAs. But you could make the case that Sale/Quintana/Rodon/Abreu/Eaton/Frazier/Melky/Tim Anderson is a decent core to build around. Like we rag on teams for waiting to long to rebuild but this feels they're giving up too soon?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense financially but I am now daydreaming about the Melkman coming back to San Fran.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Anyone else a little underwhelmed by Giolito when they called him up? Saw a couple of his starts and that ~80 fastball~ was... meh. And yes I know he is 22 years old with a great track record in the minors.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Pretty messed up that Dexter Fowler's agents forced him at gunpoint to sign with the Cardinals

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Padres currently have ZERO players on guaranteed contracts. Their 25-man roster is made up of 19 guys who will make the minimum, five who are entering arbitration for the first time in 2017, and one (Carter Capps) in 2nd year arb. Projected 2017 payroll (not counting money still owed to James Shields and a couple others): $25.5 million. Makes the Astros tank job look tame in comparison.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Wow, the Monforts are spending on free agents for once? Wild. I guess if they were ever going to jack up payroll, now would be the time. Especially now that all your pitching prospects are called up to have their psyches crushed by pitching in Coors, haha.

Seriously, that lineup with Encarnacion would be lethal. They wouldn't even need to trade Charlie Blackmon; just use Desmond as a Zobrist type super-sub. Goddamn that team would score all of the runs.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Man is it rough rooting for a plucky small market team like the San Francisco Giants. Pretty unfair when these rich teams can just ignore the tax and spend infinity dollars. Can I get some revenue sharing please this is bullshit.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Also, this is a historically weak free agent class, especially for pitching, and teams have money burning a hole in their pockets

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Good Dog posted:

Angels traded catcher Jett Bandy to the Brewers for catcher Martin Maldonado and milb pitcher Drew Gagnon. Making some big moves this year.

It's cool that there's a big leaguer named Jett, and that's his real name, and he is a catcher named "Jett"

But anyway is Susac gonna start for the Brewers now? He was my team's Top Prospect for about a month and I want him to be good.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Just once I want to see a legit ace (Kershaw, Thor, Sale, etc - a pitcher with elite stuff and plus command) get traded to Colorado. Just to see how they would do. It would have to be a trade since no one like that is going to sign with the Rockies of their own free will. I want to know if Coors Field is defeatable.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/809836954317713408

Dozier owns but you gotta think De Leon plus a lesser prospect or two would be pretty tempting for the Twins

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I've been wondering where Sergio will end up. He's kind of a gimmicky pitcher. Without that magical slider, he would be throwing batting practice out there. Brad Ziegler, who is also a soft-tossing sidearmer, got a modest two-year deal, and most people would say that Ziegler is better, right?

But if you ignore how he does it and just look at the stats, Romo's been drat good for a long time.

And that slider is sexy, make no mistake: https://gfycat.com/CharmingOfficialBittern

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Jay Jaffe at Sports Illustrated is profiling all the Hall of Fame candidates again this year, they are worth a read if you have time to kill at work or something.

Billy Wagner: http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/12/19/jaws-2017-hall-of-fame-ballot-billy-wagner

quote:

While playing football at age seven, a friend fell on Wagner's right (throwing) arm and broke it; six weeks later, just after the cast was removed, it happened again. During this time, Wagner learned to throw lefthanded, turning his baseball glove inside out and channeling his anger at his instability and grim surroundings into throwing a ball at the side of his maternal grandparents' house, doing it so hard that pieces of aluminum siding fell off. Finally, just before he turned 15, he went to live with Jack and Sally Lamie, his uncle and aunt, in Tannersville, 19 miles away. By that point, Billy had fallen a year behind in school due to his unstable home situation, but once coaches and administrators at Tazewell High School (the closest high school, an hour away) agreed that his throwing was a danger to his middle-school peers, they "socially promoted" him into high school.

Gary Sheffield: http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/12/21/jaws-2017-hall-of-fame-ballot-gary-sheffield

quote:

"The Brewers brought out the hate in me ... I was a crazy man," Sheffield said. "I hated (Dalton) so much that I wanted to hurt the man. I hated everything about that place. I didn't even want to come to the ballpark. If I missed a ball or something, so what?

"If the official scorer gave me an error that I didn't think was an error, I'd say, 'OK, here's a real error,' and I'd throw the next ball into the stands on purpose. I did it all."

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

It's not so bad, y'all. Just think about that sweet, sweet draft pick the Jays get.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Assman22 confirms Cutch to the Yankees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Schilling should be in the Hall of Fame but I also understand why a baseball journalist might be reluctant to vote for the guy who supports lynching journalists.

• Locked thread