Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvlvqzsvKzE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIfEX7CA8X8

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2016/09/01/1120237683/1472703836935/asset_1200K.mp4

BRIAN MATUSZ GETS A RING

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The Cubs are undefeated in November

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

EAMUS CATULI

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The 30 for 30/Ken Burns documentary about this game is going to be spectacular

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Press F to pay respects

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Was Pat Hughes' call of the final out as amazing as I dreamed it would be? I'm still partying in Cleveland. :toot:

Yes it was very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqsTb5eWSQA

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Of all the midseason acquisitions who picked Mike Montgomery to close out a World Series title

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Watching the replay Rizzo was very clever pocketing that ball like he did in the NLCS

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Remember when

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_qNFjJn3No

Having spent the last couple hours in reality I'm gonna say the real version is a little better

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

New Concept Hole posted:

Eh... What's next?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R2IJFCUBFs&t=255s

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/_claremoser/status/794045277782974464

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

I think I need a new avatar too and I figure at this point what better than a gif of Rizzo or somebody from Cubshine and Lollipops

or maybe Pear Baby

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 3, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Theo says he is temporarily relinquishing his duties as President, that Jed Hoyer is in charge, he's going on a month long bender and to wake him up for the winter meetings.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/794128257717145600

https://twitter.com/MuneKawasakiWB/status/794059002430640128

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 3, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

A co-worker of mine's son works in the same company as Bartman. Apparently he works from home and gets groceries delivered because he STILL gets harassed horrendously to this day. Hopefully that changes, because Jesus Christ the 2003 Cubs lost for so many bigger reasons than Bartman.

I hope he gets sent first class to the victory parade but does not get mentioned or featured in any way. Just send him out to Chicago, maybe make sure he's not recognized in some way and just let him anonymously soak it all in.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Aw, I'm too late to suggest my idea:

This looks like Schwarber singing in front of a PS2 render of himself

Edit: Early ratings have Game 7 at a 25.2 rating - basically 1 out of every 4 TVs in America were tuned to FOX for the game.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 3, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also I cannot believe they didn't ever bench Rizzo!!!!!!!!

What happened to that terrible poster, anyway?

Looks like he took a ban and a 1 day probation.

So when do the mods put in for a Cub fan gang tag

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/ckamka/status/794055430108540928

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Interesting.... so when they score a lot of runs and not zero, they win? Theo, you magnificent bastard, youve done it again.........

Going 11-2 when you score any runs at all in the postseason is a pretty good record

If you extend it out to the NLDS their run differenial was +38 (68-30) in their 11 wins and -20 (7-27) runs in their 6 losses, they were absolutely a feast or famine team

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

I hope Vogelbach hits a ton of dingers for Seattle but you were one beefy lad too many and you were sacrificed so we could have the guy who closed out the World Series

No matter what happens after this the Cubs got value out of that trade

Virigoth posted:

I"m hoping the Professor gets paid handsomely this offseason since he was on a 1-yr contract.

Hendricks is under team control until 2020 and isn't even arb eligible until 2018 but I could absolutely see a pay raise for him

The only Cubs who are/could be FA after this year are:

Joe Smith
Dexter Fowler (5M mutual option that the Cubs agreed not to pick up as a condition of signing him for 8M)
Aroldis Chapman
Jason Hammel (10M team option/2M buyout)
Travis Wood
David Ross (Retiring)
Chris Coghlan
Trevor Cahill

I'm not sure any of them are getting QOs since they set the amount at 17.2 million/1 year, you can't QO Chapman and the FO told Dex they wouldn't QO him two years in a row.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 3, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Has anyone done "From Goat to G.O.A.T." yet because that's going to be a shirt you'll see around town very soon I think

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I keep seeing people say this did people not watch game 6 2011?

Both games deserve to be talked about in the same sentence and which one you think is better/more exciting is going to come down to who you're a fan of.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The Mets have renamed their AA affiliate the Binghamton Rumble Ponies.

TheChaosPath posted:

Both of them were sloppy as gently caress, so '91 game 7 still wins

Lonnie Smith

Yes I know the Pretty Good video

Yes I know he probably lost it and didn't get deked, either way that baserunning is enough slop in a 0-0 game to equal last night

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

With 114 wins this Cubs team slots into the 2nd slot for raw wins by a Cubs team behind the 118 won by the 1906 Cubs, and the highest win total by a Cubs champion (111, 1907.)

https://twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/794206439363330048

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Atomizer posted:

The Red Sox gave out like 500 rings; it wouldn't surprise me if the Cubs gave out a whole lot more. Aside from retired Cubs, I'm hoping that the guys who participated this season (but where traded) got them as well: Clayton Richard, Warren, and especially Joe Nathan, the latter of whom decided to rehab from his second TJS to try to pursue that elusive championship at the end of his career. :unsmith:

For 2004 at least, the Red Sox gave rings to everyone who was on the roster that year, including Brandon Puffer, a relief pitcher who was a one-game September callup who never actually appeared or threw a pitch for the team. He ended up spending a few years in jail for burglary and intent to commit sexual assault. Somebody tried to sell it on Pawn Stars a few years back but they wouldn't take it considering his reputation.

If I had to guess I would assume at least everyone who was called up to the team will get a ring, possibly everyone on the 40-man, and then a scaled-down version of the ring for front office staff, maybe Wrigley workers, people like that.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Parade set for Friday. Not many details, but a rough route will be Wrigley Field to Grant Park, with some of it probably on Lake Shore Drive.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I know it's a longshot, but do any Chicagoons have an extra copy of today's Tribune I could buy off them? I didn't get home until like 5am yesterday and by the time I woke up, they were completely sold out everywhere.

You can buy them from the Tribune directly for $10 but they're absolutely slammed right now and I think they've said the wait could be 2-3 weeks after you order. (EDIT: 15-20 business days.)

http://store.chicagotribune.com/chicago-tribune-11-3-2016-back-issue.html

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 3, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The Curse of the Billy Goat is dead

Long live the Curse of Ricky Vaughn

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

TMMadman posted:

Also, Henry Rowengartner should totally get a World Series ring for real now.

Send him 6 rings inscribed with Rullenverter, Rabinboozer, Rosinbagger, Gardenhoser, Rullengruder, and Runamucker

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

i own neither cable nor tv

You can watch the condensed game at baseball.theater and just keep searching youtube for the inevitable full game uploads that will be taken down every couple days via copyright strike

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

N: Dexter Fowler declines 2017 option.
V: I am very sad but we expected it.

Everyone knew that mutual option was put there to make sure Dex got 13 million for this year, it was never ever ever going to be picked up. As much as I think he likes Chicago I also think he likes to get large sums of money and I think a team on the fringe with a CF/leadoff need will probably overpay for a 4-6 year deal that the Cubs won't be willing to match. If everything rumored is true the Cubs will also not put a QO on him.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

quote:

Tomorrow's official downtown parade will start at approximately 11 a.m. CDT. The motorcade will depart Wrigley Field at approximately 10 a.m. CDT and head east on Addison Street and south on Lake Shore Drive in order to arrive at the official parade route on Michigan Avenue. The parade will travel along Michigan Avenue between Oak and Ohio streets then along Columbus Drive between Monroe Street and Balbo Avenue to Grant Park. A celebration rally will take place at Lower Hutchinson Field in Grant Park at approximately noon CDT. The rally is free and open to the public.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

What happened to Rondon, is he in witness protection?

His slider is

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Really seems backwards to me. Seems like they should END inside of Wrigley.

End in the large open air place that holds far more people

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The way Fowler has played (a full 1.4 WAR above any other year) you have to think he'll be demanding a contract that pays him through his age 35 or 36 season for I would assume an AAV above what he got this year so you're probably going to need a contract along the lines of 5/95 or 6/110 at minimum and that also assumes he doesn't try for Heyward or Cespedes money and look for 20M+ AAV.

As far as the 2017 rotation, I already assume Arrieta is gone. As long as he doesn't tryhard himself into some injury and is at least at ~4 WAR form with similar postseason success thanks to salary inflation we could be looking at the first 40M AAV contract going to Jake since I don't really see any other true aces on the market for the post-2017 offseason. That may be a reason to open the wallet for him since the TV money/new channel or whatever will be right around the corner and the plaza across the street should be finished by then for more revenue, but I forsee the 2018-2021 Cubs being a team that will lean a lot harder on their bats and their positional defense versus having multiple dominant starters.

I think if the Cubs pay for a closer this year it'll be either Chapman or Melancon since neither can get a QO. Give Hammel 10M for the year and see if he has anything left, ride Lackey into the sunset and maybe try to resign Cahill cheap again and see if you can stretch him and Zastryzny out into capable #4 and #5 starters for the future.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 4, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

You can't count all that money coming off this year because you have to assume that Grimm, Rondon, Strop and Jake will all get raises in arbitration and Szczur, Montgomery, Baez, Schwarber, Russell, La Stella, Hendricks and Bryant are all pre-arb and a few of those will probably also get a pay bump.

I suppose in an ideal world you give Fowler 5/100 or thereabouts and guarantee him through the end of the 2021 season when the team probably blows up since everyone on the 25-man not named Almora, Contreras or Heyward is entering free agency but I do think decisions need to be made about whether or not you start trading pieces because there is going to be a huge logjam in the dugout. Assuming the Cubs carry 12 pitchers, who gets left out?

Contreras (2 options)
Montero (Can refuse options)

Baez (2 options)
Bryant (3 options)
La Stella (2 options, but are you trying your luck with that again? Also he's essentially untradeable)
Rizzo (Can refuse options)
Russell (3 options)
Zobrist (Can refuse options)

Almora Jr (2 options)
Heyward (Can refuse options)
Soler (1 option)
Szczur (0 options)
Schwarber (2 options)

That's 13 position players so you're fine if you don't bring back Coghlan or Fowler - but if you do you've got to send 1 or 2 of the above to Iowa in their place. This also assumes other 40-man talents like Mune, Candelario, Villanueva and Federowicz don't edge out anyone currently on the 25-man. If Fowler's back I guess Almora heads to Iowa, but given how he was used in the postseason I have a feeling Soler is being looked at as winter meetings trade bait for some kind of cost controlled pitching or as part of a package deal.

As far as the pitching goes - assuming Hammel is bought out(but I think they take him for 10M) :

Lester (Can refuse options)
Hendricks (3 options)
Arrieta (Can refuse options)
Lackey (Can refuse options)

Montgomery (0 options)
Edwards (1 option)
Grimm (Can refuse options)
Rondon (0 options)
Strop (0 options)
------------------------WS 25-man ends here

Zastryzny (3 options)
Patton (1 option)
Pena (3 options)
Beeler (1 option)
Brooks (1 option)
Buchanan (1 option, can refuse an outright)
Concepcion (1 option)
Mullee (2 options)
Patton (1 option)
Pena (1 option)
Rosscup (1 option, must clear waivers)
Acevedo (3 options)
Johnson (2 options)

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 4, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Also why does it feel like Rich Hill is the best starter of this free agent class and how much is he going to get paid for an age 37 season where his 110 innings of work this year was his second largest workload in his 12 year career and I don't know if you would pencil him in for more than that.

Beyond Hill you maybe have Cashner as a reclamation project and Hellickson who is good but the Phils are almost guaranteed to slap a QO on him. Maybe Nova too?

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 4, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://np.reddit.com/r/HighQualityGifs/comments/5appou/been_a_long_time_fan_kent_long_time_fan/

The .gifv is over 100MB so I'm going to link where it came from instead of it potentially autoplaying

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 4, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Theo at this point could walk into Cooperstown and demand they build him his plaque and place it in the newly created Epstein wing while he sits on a lawn chair, downs tall boys and wings the empties at anyone nearby, he'll have a job as long as he wants one and even if he doesn't any desperate team would pay him handsomely to just be on the payroll as if his presence alone will influence World Series trophies to be attracted to their team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Remember when Schwarber narrated the Central Division Championship web video and he was in the weight room

And people said that was foreshadowing a return and we called them dumb

We were the dumb ones

• Locked thread