Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Voting is now open for the SAS Hall of Fame 2017 Ballot, check it out!

https://giant.gfycat.com/DistortedHospitableAmericanwirehair.webm

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh my god this is so adorable

https://giant.gfycat.com/DistortedHospitableAmericanwirehair.webm

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This one? I don't see the "oh my god" part, but it was in the 10th at 3rd base.

It definitely happened at some point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The only change they really need to make to the QO is to make it work like RFA does in the NBA: Once the team offers it, it has to always be out there for the player to accept if the team wants to retain the benefits they get from it, but the team can also rescind it if they want to (at which point they cannot offer it to that player again).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Should we move parade/rally talk to another thread?

I don't know that there's a whole lot of news to talk about but if you want to create a gameday thread for it I'm sure there will be plenty of activity.

e: I put an off-season schedule in the OP for anyone wondering about dates.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 4, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Because it's less than a month before I post the thread, and because there's an election tomorrow, got a quick poll for the people who vote on the SAS Hall of Fame Ballot. Should I do what I've been doing and just have the ballot open right away, or should I post the thread and wait a week or so to let people discuss the merits of everyone before opening up the ballot?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Explosionface posted:

gently caress me, how did little Sam Fuld get that old? He's perpetually 25 in my head.

He was 27 in his first full season (got a cup o' coffee at 25 then spent the entire next year in the minors again)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chexoid posted:

Man. I must have been not paying much attention but I guess Mark Trumbo's defence was especially vile this year. How do you hit 47 dingers and end up with less WAR than Darwin Barney.

The OBP below .320 didn't help

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Goodpancakes posted:

When do they announce the Cy Young so I can be mad it isn't Hendricks

If only there was an easy to find post that contained information like this. Maybe even the first one in the thread. Man, that would sure be handy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The original mannequin challenge

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

Best shape of his life has already started. It's officially the off season.

Slimmed-down Panda: Red Sox say Pablo Sandoval has lost weight

Did they double check the towel rack?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TMMadman posted:

How appropriate is it that the W flag I've had hanging on my sliding glass door had one side fall down overnight?

Depends, was it the left side?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TMMadman posted:

Let's all just agree that Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida suck rear end.

This is how I've been living my whole life, no reason to change now!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yes. Kevlar hasn't made any jokes like that. Read the last 3 pages for fucks sake, do I need to give you a god damned list?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm at the point now where I'd take 4 years of Trump for a Cubs World Series victory

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Whoops. My bad.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Right, but I'm talking about now, today. People started making those jokes again. Like. Just stop it. Talk about baseball, complain about Buster Posey's gold glove, whatever. But don't make light of a tragedy for a whole bunch of people.

Kevlar's second post I quoted is from today though :confused:

Well, late last night. Same thing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

New Concept Hole posted:

All I can think is that the Chicago Cubs will be honored at the White House next year by the President of the United States, which will be Donald Trump.

Obama said he wants to have them come before he's done.

I don't know how realistic that is but :shrug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Altuve gets another silver slugger award :toot: His third

You could've made a legit case for Cano probably

I will fight you

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/797129913799241728

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

This guy just led his league in both ERA and OPS? Has there been a prospect like this ...ever?

I assume he projects in MLB as a pitcher but goddamn would that be valuable if he could be a useful DH at the same time.....

I did this with a relief pitcher in an OOTP 16 online league, it was great.

e: Apparently the league page is still up, it's Pierre Roy

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 14, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Roster Resource has their projected lineups updated, which is kind of a fun time waster if you're looking to identify team needs. This is without any projected free agent signings. Site is kind of slow to load...

http://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-roster-grid/

Twins needs: SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, RP, RP, RP, RP, C

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

17.2 m for Hellickson then. What determines the salary of QOs because 17.2 seems like way too much?

Average of the top 125 salaries

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fulmer was one of the best pitchers in the AL for all of the year, not just two months

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Interesting trivia question:

Has an MVP ever recorded the final out of the world series before Bryant?

Rizzo recorded the final out

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Not according to the baseball almanac!

Then the baseball almanac is wrong!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Plouffe wasn't that bad the last few seasons. But this means that they're committing to either Sano or Polanco at third full time which is exactly what they should be doing.

I don't think I'd agree with something going "horribly wrong" if Dozier and Santana aren't traded, either.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

This team isn't competing in the next two years and they sure as poo poo are not going to resign either of them. You definitely trade them now 99/100 times.

I think they will resign, actually :v:

And no, you only trade them now if you get the right deal. Dozier especially. You can still trade them at the deadline if you don't, or the next offseason still since they both have two years (at least, Santana has an option for 2019).

Panic "OH MY GOD WE HAVE TO MAKE A TRADE NOW" deals get you Matt Capps for Wilson Ramos.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

Well, there's a problem with posting Otani. He's 22, and due to the combination of the posting system and the international signing rules, any team that wanted to sign him could only sign him to a minor league deal - and any signing bonus a team wanted to give him would count against their bonus pool. You can't sign an international player to an MLB contract if they're under 23. And since posting, afaik, only works in the offseason, there's literally no reason for him to come to MLB during this offseason - if he waits until next offseason and doesn't get injured/poo poo the bed next season, he'll be in line for a big, big contract.

I wonder if his team would do this as a sort of "gently caress you" to him then since they're going to get the same amount no matter when they post him?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tender Bender posted:

He doesn't have to sign a contract at all, they would just be hurting the team's reputation for no gain. I think if he and the mlb team don't agree on a contract he just goes back to his original team with no posting fee.

Yeah, but the team could just tell him that if he doesn't sign they won't post him again, or something like that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spite

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IMB posted:

lol im sure that would go over well with other players in the league.

Probably about as well as the other players who wanted to get posted before their contracts were up but didn't

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tender Bender posted:

I mean they could just not post him if they don't want to. Posting him early would just give up a year of having a great player on your team for no reason.

I haven't been following this closely, does he have a prima donna reputation or something? I don't really get where you're coming from.

Posting him early will give up like five years of having a great player on their team, actually. If he gets posted this year and signs with another team his team will get $20 million from the posting fee (the max) . The same will happen if they post him next year, or the year after, or the year after, etc, all the way until his contract in Japan is up (which I think is after his like age 27 season), unless he gets hurt. Teams have dicked around players that want to jump ship to the MLB in the past, so if they're going for maximum dickage then posting him now and threatening to hold him to his full contract if he doesn't sign this time is what they could do.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tender Bender posted:

Right, I'm talking about the distinction between posting him this year vs next year. There is no reason to force him to go this year except pure spite. They would be effectively giving away a season of a great player for nothing, since they would still be able to collect the $20 million at any subsequent year if they posted them. They could definitely just keep him the full length and post him before his last year which is more typical. But I don't get why you think an organization would go out of its way to gently caress a player over to the degree that they would make their own team worse?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why would I be? This whole thing started with an "I wonder if" statement and now people are taking it as something I expect to happen.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

I wonder if the Angels would trade Trout to the Yankees for Jacoby Ellsbury straight up.

(Also as somebody who drafted AP first round in their work league, I love/hate your new avatar.)

My avatar is Teddy!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Clearly I need to add Torres to the Hall of Fame ballot this year.

Speaking of, gonna have the topic up today or tomorrow to allow discussion on the players before making the ballot live

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I made the Hall of Fame thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799010

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Weird, I don't see a spot where I can vote for Gleyber Torres.

You have to at least play part of ten seasons in the major leagues to be eligible :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bravesword posted:

Castro to Minnesota, 3/24.5.

I'm pretty sure this isn't how rebuilding works.

Yeah, it would be way better for them to sign a terrible catcher that can't manage a staff or help young pitchers out at all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

I have a feeling he's going to be fine. He just barely crossed the threshold for losing rookie status and plenty of guys fail on the first trip up and are fine later.

.220/.281/.390

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Exactly. SAS people seem to get the absurd chaos that is the postseason. I get enough "but they didn't do what it takes to WIN!! $300M should guarantee a ring!" bullshit from other Dodgers fans.

I don't think SAS posters believe this, we just think it's funny when they spend all that money and can't even get to the WS.

• Locked thread