Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Duke?
This poll is closed.
Gross 25 18.38%
Disgusting 30 22.06%
Vile 38 27.94%
Abhorrent 43 31.62%
Total: 51 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hello Towel posted:

Dead phone kept me from posting last night, but checking in to say it is a good day to be a Hoosier basketball fan. The freshmen + Blackmon really stepped up last night against a great Kansas team.

It felt like playing the Golden State Warriors honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

elentar posted:

I have no idea what State can do this year in a packed ACC but even just on exhibition evidence I'm pretty certain Dennis Smith Jr is going to do ridiculous things pretty much every night out.

Where has exhibition Dennis Smith gone? Dorn looks like the best player on the team, and Smith is just a guy.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

Big ten plus is the biggest load of bullshit

Actually a system where Michigan's game isn't on TV, but instead I can watch Illinois vs Southeast Missouri State or something on the Big 10 Network is real good and cool

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I've never bothered to actually pay for it but based on Iowa Twitter it's also apparently the buggiest and shittiest streaming service imaginable even though I can't imagine more than like 10 people trying to watch it at any given time.

For five dollars a month more than you would pay for Netflix/Hulu/Prime you too can watch a buffering pixelated version of Iowa battling the mighty Owls of Kennesaw St.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It is good to have Vic Law back. Northwestern's OOC schedule is insane though, they have to go to Butler, then play Texas in the Legends classic and also have Dayton, they're going to get slaughtered in non-con.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Well, this is bad
http://www.insidenu.com/2016/11/14/...ollins-transfer

quote:

The suit describes a variety of measures the program and athletic department used to free up Vassar’s scholarship, which was eventually transferred from athletic grant-in-aid to an academic scholarship. The University, the complaint alleges, went so far as to offer Vassar a cash payment in March of 2016 so he would “go away.”

The suit also alleges that Northwestern placed the three-star recruit in an “internship” so he could retain his athletic scholarship. The program, called the “Wildcat Internship Program” involved him working in a janitorial capacity. It also claims that Northwestern tried to falsify Vassar’s timesheets during the internship “in an effort to create grounds for revoking [Vassar’s] guaranteed athletic scholarship.”

jesus christ, it's loving just northwestern, maybe don't try to completely gently caress over some kid in your quest to qualify for the CBI

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Well, this is bad
http://www.insidenu.com/2016/11/14/...ollins-transfer

jesus christ, it's loving just northwestern, maybe don't try to completely gently caress over some kid in your quest to qualify for the CBI

:catstare:

This week, IU goes from playing KenPom #6 Kansas to #271 UMass-Lowell and #260 Liberty. Tom Crean's non-conference scheduling must be stopped.

At least the UMass game will be my first time inside the renovated Assembly Hall; the pictures make it look awesome.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Who's idea was it to ruin basketball?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

Who's idea was it to ruin basketball?

Bo Ryan

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Jay Bilas.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
eat poo poo duke

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Can't wait to see which team Baylor loses to in the first round again or Elite Eight baylor Bitch (football champs)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I suppose you can't argue with a quality loss like that.

https://twitter.com/CBTonNBC/status/798942049978306560

(I get the argument and it isn't all that bad but its still an awkward headline)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

gvibes posted:

Looks like Illinois is going to lose its only good 2017 recruit (rsci 25 Jeremiah Tilmon) to freaking SLU. Fire Groce already, jesus.
"5-star #Illini commit Jeremiah Tilmon SIGNED a NLI today, where he is going? You'll have to wait until tomorrow at 1 pm to find out..."

This is apparently a thing now.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Thoguh posted:

I suppose you can't argue with a quality loss like that.

https://twitter.com/CBTonNBC/status/798942049978306560

(I get the argument and it isn't all that bad but its still an awkward headline)

This argument really only works if you put Kansas at Number Two, which... they just lost to Indiana.

It's a really dumb argument even granting it leniency.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I came away from these games thinking UK should be #1.

Although they have problems, too. Monk shot 7/12 from 3, yes. But the rest of the team was 0/10 and their bigs aren't nearly as dominant as in the past. They're going to lose some games relying on such a young backcourt but will be very dangerous come tourney time.

I know Duke had a lot of talent sitting on that bench but you don't just plug and play and assume they're the best when we haven't seen their chemistry yet. It's just early I guess.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BUTLER IS WHAT WE THOUGHT THEY WERE. THEY'RE WHAT WE THOUGHT THEY WERE. WE PLAYED THEM IN THE NONCONFERENCE-- WHO THE HELL TAKES A THIRD GAME OF THE NONCONFERENCE LIKE IT'S BULLSHIT? BULLSHIT! WE PLAYED THEM IN THE THIRD GAME, THE BULLDOGS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE. THAT'S WHY WE TOOK THE drat COURT. NOW IF YOU WANT TO CROWN THEM, THEN CROWN THEIR rear end. BUT BUTLER IS WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE. AND WE LET 'EM OFF THE HOOK!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kiimo posted:

I came away from these games thinking UK should be #1.

Although they have problems, too. Monk shot 7/12 from 3, yes. But the rest of the team was 0/10 and their bigs aren't nearly as dominant as in the past. They're going to lose some games relying on such a young backcourt but will be very dangerous come tourney time.

I know Duke had a lot of talent sitting on that bench but you don't just plug and play and assume they're the best when we haven't seen their chemistry yet. It's just early I guess.

I really enjoy that with CBB we get to see these games early and often. Since the season is longer losing one rarely costs you anything long term but it's so much better for the fans.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

Looks like Illinois is going to lose its only good 2017 recruit (rsci 25 Jeremiah Tilmon) to freaking SLU. Fire Groce already, jesus.

Tilmon decided to join Illinois after all! Puts us with the #1 class in the Big Ten and a top 10 class overall. Happy with that. Hopefully he can find some success on the court this year. Not too hopeful when you've got the great Maverick Morgan as your starting center.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, Mizzou lost in OT to Xavier by 1 today. I watched none of it but...progress maybe?

That or Xavier must have played awfully, either one.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, Mizzou lost in OT to Xavier by 1 today. I watched none of it but...progress maybe?

They lost in the most Mizzou fashion too. Progress is feeling agony at your school's traditional last minute defeats and not indifference towards a DII-level team.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wake Forest has a date with #3 defending national champ Nova

And I could honestly see them winning :stare:

Watch these highlights, remember I suffered through four years of Jeff Bzdelik, and rejoice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snaXXmtyjoU

Gonna be a lot of Wake pros in the next 3-4 years :getin:

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 18, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I watched at least 3/4 of the UCF/Mississippi State game last night because I spent all of that time either staring in amazement at Tacko Fall or pleading with UCF to bring him back on the court.

How did he not score 50 points against those tiny Mississippi State defenders?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah... About that progress.... :(

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Austin Nichols has been dismissed from Virginia, apparently:

http://www.nbc29.com/story/33748411/austin-nichols-dismissed-from-uva-mens-basketball-team

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

americanzero4128 posted:

Tilmon decided to join Illinois after all! Puts us with the #1 class in the Big Ten and a top 10 class overall. Happy with that. Hopefully he can find some success on the court this year. Not too hopeful when you've got the great Maverick Morgan as your starting center.

he will renege. just watch

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Wake Forest has a date with #3 defending national champ Nova

And I could honestly see them winning :stare:

Lol

I want to say more, but

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Wish I could say I was surprised. Not finding anything about an arrest but he's picked up quite a reputation, hope he gets treatment or at least away from the particular scene he got into.

Think UVA is still top 15-20 material without him but not top 5-10.

elentar fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 19, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

b-minus1 posted:

Yeah... About that progress.... :(

I dunno, just being able to play with a top 25 team in any game still might count as progress. Today is much more what I expect out of this season in general of course.

e: Looked it up for the hell of it, previously under Kim their best result against a ranked team was a 9 point loss to #19 South Carolina last year. Most of those games are 20+ point losses and of course there was that 86-37 total embarrassment by Kentucky a couple of years ago.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 19, 2016

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!
Looks like Quade Green to Kentucky.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Penn St lost to Duke by only 10

Progress?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the Mighty Northwestern Wildcat just housed Texas basically without Vic Law who was in foul trouble the whole game. NIT or bust, chumps.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Grittybeard posted:

I'm an X fan... before the season I thought their high ranking was an absolute joke. They have some good/great players. They also lost alot of good/great players. If they would have returned everyone, then maybe a top ten ranking would have warranted in my opinion... but they didn't.

Now after seeing a couple of games, I'm pleasantly surprised with the new guys, and if they continue to play as they have and improve, a top 10 ranking is probably right where they belong.

I still think they need a go to guy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
fire Groce

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Josh Jackson is a dunk machine.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=18110920
http://es.pn/2gwZl9U

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I'm an X fan...

Now after seeing a couple of games, I'm pleasantly surprised with the new guys, and if they continue to play as they have and improve, a top 10 ranking is probably right where they belong.

Creighton looks great so far, throw Butler in the mix plus really everyone except the bottom 2 and Big East is shaping up strong this year. DePaul may get it worse than anyone besides BC this season.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
First off, gently caress Duke. Why isn't there an "all of the above" option on the poll?

Second, Butler rolled the Little Sisters of the Poor...I mean Norfolk State last night. I didn't get a chance to watch the game since my FS1 feed on SlingTV was all hosed up, but apparently a lot of 3s fell for Butler. Hope they don't rely on the 3 too much this season. Backup 5 Nate Fowler dropped 17 and looked pretty good in the highlights I watched.

Butler plays Vanderbilt next on Thanksgiving. I don't know too much about Vandy this year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Blue Mountain College, an NAIA school in Mississippi with an enrollment of maybe 500, beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff last night in 3OT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Illinois lost to a Winthrop last night in OT. Huh.

• Locked thread