Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
That's because Soundwave and his minions are exceeding good at their jobs. Seriously, Megatron wouldn't have gotten far without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If Starscream were willing to settle for second banana for even five minutes, they'd have won this ages ago.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Surely there has been a Transfomers MOBA at this point so I can call Soundwave a hard carry.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
In fiarness the Autobots weren't much better. Remember the time the Decepticons robbed an oil rig while pretending to be Autobots and even Optimus thought it was him?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

wedgekree posted:

In fiarness the Autobots weren't much better. Remember the time the Decepticons robbed an oil rig while pretending to be Autobots and even Optimus thought it was him?

seaspray

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Orv posted:

Surely there has been a Transfomers MOBA at this point so I can call Soundwave a hard carry.

No but please don't give hasbro ideas

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah,he's the Butt Monkey of the Decepticons. Kinda feel sorry for him.

Not so much in the first comics. His first appearance there was coming to Earth after the Autobots won, then kicking all of their asses (except Ratchet's, who ran like a little baby) then telling Megatron he was a loser, and now Shockwave was in charge.

It went pretty well, until Ratchet found a bunch of robot dinosaurs.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Shockwave in the G1 show was a loser, but in the comics

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Yeah, that's not even counting the current IDW run, where... Holy poo poo, he's one hell of a character! Starts off as a good guy, then is sentenced to have his hands and head (And thus his personality) replaced, builds up new hands, starts all original Shockwave "I am Cold Logic and that is why I am evil, because it's Logical", experiments with different forms of Energon (Seeding Earth and many other worlds), and, when he's finally chased down by the Dinobots? Learns he still has an emotion in his library...

...RAGE. (EDIT: For those curious what happens next, Transformers Spotlight: Shockwave.)

IDW Shockwave is a badass, marred only by the fact he's a big part of one of the dumber storylines they did (Not on par with Galvatron's part in the Infection crossover (Because hey, Zombie Crossovers are such a good loving idea... sideyes Marvel and IDW), but p. close)

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 4, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Soundwave's back must hurt from carrying his poo poo team.

But seriously, this is a good game and this is the right crew to LP it.

wedgekree posted:

In Optimus's defense, his entire personality and memory fits on a single 8 by 11 floppy.

Of course, that was only necessary because Optimus killed a digital innocent in a video game and committed suicide because doing so broke the Autobot Code.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 4, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
Poptarts please take like a month and a half break from your BT LP so I can catch up.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

PoptartsNinja posted:

In Optimus's defense, his entire personality and memory fits on a single 8 by 11 floppy.

Of course, that was only necessary because Optimus killed a digital innocent in a video game and committed suicide because doing so broke the Autobot Code.

This is still not even in the top 10 of disturbing things that happen around or because of the Transformers.

I haven't actually compiled an ordered list of anything but I think Glass Gas Gun ends up being number one through ten.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Oh man, it's such a treat to hear the original G1 Megatron voice again. Don't get me wrong, Frank Welker's updated performance in Prime is gleeful and great, but his original G1 voice is a shot of pure nostalgia.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Yeah,I remember hearing about that. He was also pretty cool in Prime:first time he really does something (that's not in a flashback) he kicks the poo poo outta two of the toughest Autobots (Wheeljack and Bulkhead) like it's nothing.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
My favorite moment of him in IDW comics is where he beats up the Dinobots using Slag. As a flail.

Gotta love Shockwave. He who will calculate how badly he will whip your aft to ten decimal places.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

wedgekree posted:

My favorite moment of him in IDW comics is where he beats up the Dinobots using Slag. As a flail.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I remember Shockwave being rather threatening in Prime, if that helps. Also with regards to the better Wave, hasn't it been said that Soundwave would've taken over the Decepticons if he weren't so loyal to Megatron? I know he's a better fighter at least.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

The top three Decepticons, and this is count brains as well as strength, is Shockwave, Soundwave, and Megatron. That tends to be consistent through the different media they appear in.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The Decepticon 'Big Three' are sort of a rather surprisingly well balanced triumvirate. Shockwave is logic, Megatron is brutality, Starscream is treachery.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Also with regards to the better Wave, hasn't it been said that Soundwave would've taken over the Decepticons if he weren't so loyal to Megatron? I know he's a better fighter at least.

He does put his hand up as a candidate for leadership of the Decepticons in the movie, after Starscream sets Megatron out for a space-walk, but he doesn't win the ensuing fight that breaks out for leadership.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

A fun fact, Soundwave was considered to be the leader of the Decepticons in the development, that why their logo looks like his face. And about that movie fight, according to the writers, Soundwave's first order if he had won would be to turn around and get Megatron back.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

grandalt posted:

A fun fact, Soundwave was considered to be the leader of the Decepticons in the development, that why their logo looks like his face. And about that movie fight, according to the writers, Soundwave's first order if he had won would be to turn around and get Megatron back.

Of course,Starscream won due to cowering in the corner like a bitch his brilliant cunning. Then Galvatron happened. Right when he finally became the leader. Classic Starscream,gotta gently caress everything up somehow.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Ahhhh, this game rules. It's not the best Platinum game, but it's just a fantastic Transformers game. I can't wait to see Coolguy's reactions to the rest of this game :allears:

Since it was brought up, in the video, yeah, Megatron's not a gun in this game. He's a G1 Megatron without a doubt, but he's a tank instead. Specifically, his new design is basically cribbed from his Combiner Wars figure that was released the same year this game was:

And that figure was pretty loving awesome. There's a handful of other stuff that this game takes from Combiner Wars (though I'll bring them up later when they're relevant). Hell, the physical game came with a little ad insert for the latest official Devastator figure.

XavierGenisi fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 4, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Of course,Starscream won due to cowering in the corner like a bitch his brilliant cunning. Then Galvatron happened. Right when he finally became the leader. Classic Starscream,gotta gently caress everything up somehow.

In the IDW comics, Starscream managed to become the democratically elected absolute monarch of cybertron and the prophesied chosen one.

He still managed to gently caress it all up.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I don't remember the chosen one part of that, I do remember however the time when Starscream fought Primus and was actually a threat.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

grandalt posted:

I don't remember the chosen one part of that, I do remember however the time when Starscream fought Primus and was actually a threat.

Wasn't that in the Cybertron (AKA Galaxy Force) cartoon? Which was part of the Godawful Unicron Trilogy.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

Wasn't that in the Cybertron (AKA Galaxy Force) cartoon? Which was part of the Godawful Unicron Trilogy.

So it was, my memory of what events happened in what series are a bit off I see.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

In the IDW comics, Starscream managed to become the democratically elected absolute monarch of cybertron and the prophesied chosen one.

He still managed to gently caress it all up.

Classic Starscream. :allears:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I watched a few episodes of Beast Wars when I was a kid. That and these LPs are the extent of my experience with Transformers unless you count the Michael Bay movies.

Have any of these shows or games ever gone into the Golden Age and why their civilization declined?

Im not the biggest transformers fan so not sure if its ever gone into detail but the answers pretty obvious if youre aware what long term full scale war does to a society. A common mistake is to think that war produces innovation or new technology, which it doesent to a certain degree. Where the mistake comes from is people often notice nations putting new technology out to try and beat their opponent, but what they dont realise is that this technology is usually stuff a nation already has at the start of the war, just applied diffrently in hopes itll win the war. For example tanks and planes came out during ww1 but none of this was new technology created by the war, they were just applying them for war. What does create innovation and new technology is the fear of war since nations tend to put more budget into research at that point. But when war starts that funding is cut usually in favor of producing more tools to kill the enemy. Some research might be done still during war but it wont be as big as what you could be doing during peace.
Now why would a society decline just because of war? You should still have all this sweet technology that you had when you started this war. Well the longer the war goes on the more likely is that all the libraries and universities that contain all this knowledge get broken. These locations tend to not be critical to winning the war so the enemy figures breaking them is fine and dandy. They wont get protected either since they arent critical to winning the war. Sacrifices have to be made. Now repeat this a few thousand times for both sides youll probably lose all records what technology you had. The people who still understood this technology will eventually get shot too as the war goes on. Scientists arent that critical to winning the war compared to producing more soldiers after all. You can apply this logic to why warhammer 40k is so backwards. The imperium of man could come up with all the old tech again if they had time and peace. But they dont, they need more soldiers, more tanks, more space marines and so on to keep the ever growing tide of enemies at bay. Optimus and Megatron arent going to start creating society again either. Society can be rebuilt after one of them is dead. Before that they need more transformers, more trypticons, more mini-cons and so on.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Generally (in the Transformers series, at least) we see the war at a point of decline - Cybertron is a dead or dying world nearly out of resources fought to a near total stalemate and total starvation. Neither side can get a significant enough advnatage over the other due to lack fo resources or the planet literally dying - this is generally done as a handwave to explain how the war can last for millions of years at a general stalemate.

Also, while there is lots of lost tech (in a lot of the series - particularly Prime, lost WMD's and hypertech play a major role as attempts at utilizing to break the stalemate), it's also generally shown that any technological advantage is rapidly countered. The Decepticons build Devastator, the Autobots get Omega Supreme. Each side deploys Combiners, Titans, Minicons within short time periods. Neither side ever seems to be able to gain a large enough technological edge to use to break the stlaemate before the other side is able to come up wtih an equivalent.

Also most of the series tend to focus on small groups of characters - this si easier from a storytelling point of view to develop your world and your characters. Sure, there might be millions of Autobots fighting millions of Decepticons, but you can't show that on a tv budget, much less aimed at kids. So we tend to see small teams - Optimus and Megatron's going toe to toe on peripheral fronts - Earth, etc. Generally no side will have more than a dozen main characters with smaller groups of mooks/drones or filler characters to help flesh out the battles for scale (like the Vehicons).

For circumstances o fall out total war you can look at the comics (Marvel or IDW are great ones) or the 'Fall of Cybertron' games.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah I actually said in the first episode of our LP of Fall of Cybertron that my favorite element about the game is that it's intra-apocalyptic. Revelations, Gehenna, the Reckoning is happening in that moment and it's in those moments that both sides are finding out exactly how callous, brutal, and barbaric they can be. There's a very small set of stories that are told there. They all come after the end, instead.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I'll admit I'm mainly watching this for you guys' chemistry and dumb jokes. The Transformer games have only ever mildly interested me at best, but you guys are funny enough to make it worth it. Looking forward to y'all doing Dishonored 2 later though!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Well you needn't worry I'm an endless supply of stupid jokes

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Yeah I actually said in the first episode of our LP of Fall of Cybertron that my favorite element about the game is that it's intra-apocalyptic. Revelations, Gehenna, the Reckoning is happening in that moment and it's in those moments that both sides are finding out exactly how callous, brutal, and barbaric they can be. There's a very small set of stories that are told there. They all come after the end, instead.

In the end, there is not that much of a bridge between the two factions to keep them different. Each wants survival and domination in thier own way, even if it goes to extremes. The difference from reality to reality is whether Megatron sees the Decepticons as a means to an end (the end being himself) or something narcisistically warped and forged by him for a greater purpose. the Autobots.. Can be just as willing to do what it takes to survive and are just as messed up.

I'm rather fond, if you're looking for stories exploring the dynamic of the war, si things set after it - the current comics by IDW are an exploration of how fundamentally messed up thier society is and how damned alien peace is, and how messed up they are for having kept at it for so long that the lack of war is more confusing than it's presence and apocalypse.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Is this kind of discussion of more than thirty years of lore is why I like Transformers threads so much. The setting has developed into something surprisingly rich for mostly selling toys.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Soundwave is the best :colbert:

G1 was too early for me (I do remember some things about it) so most of my experience comes from Beast Wars and the more recent Games/Micheal Bays/Prime.

The setting is rich although I do wish the characters shook things up a bit (which is why I like Prime quite a bit.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I love this game so much I SS Ranked every side mission on Prime mode and had to physically be stopped from SS ranking the story mode.

Saurian, who did the official play guides for Bayonetta, has called it his favorite platinum game, and has done his own video guides for Devastation, as well as showcase videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVrX0MHBZ_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2U019sSL3I

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Blitzwing, Devastator, G1 Transformers Megatron voice... Where has this game been all my life?

I'll have to buy this to support Platinum and Co., but since I can't play Platinum games for poo poo I'll have to actually experience the game through you, and boy I'm glad it's you guys!

e: Bumblebee, he can talk! (he can talk, he can talk)

e2: A Kremzeek?! It's like they asked me what I'd want to see in a Transformers game, then threw amnesia dust at me so I'll forget

e3: You mentioned Xenoverse, now I'm imagining being able to make your own custom Transformer

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 4, 2016

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Thankfully as grim and dark as Transformers can get this is all high class action and punching and pithy one liners.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

A Kremzeek?! It's like they asked me what I'd want to see in a Transformers game, then threw amnesia dust at me so I'll forget

Okay so are Kremzeeks that popular? They get the hell referenced out of them in so many different Transformers things in spite of the fact they only really ever got one episode, which admittedly was a fantastic iteration of wacky Transformers nonsense.

Onmi posted:

I love this game so much I SS Ranked every side mission on Prime mode and had to physically be stopped from SS ranking the story mode.

Saurian, who did the official play guides for Bayonetta, has called it his favorite platinum game, and has done his own video guides for Devastation, as well as showcase videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVrX0MHBZ_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2U019sSL3I

The game has incredibly tight controls but also incredibly fantastic flexibility on the moves you can do, and Saurian's not kidding in his Bumblebee description about how you can car launch off of just about any move. If you stagger someone with shooting your weapon (typically through a non-fatal headshot I think) you can immediately go car mode to launch at them. This game has so many cool and distinct little mechanics in it and while I'm nowhere near that good I will be trying my hardest to show it all off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Okay so are Kremzeeks that popular? They get the hell referenced out of them in so many different Transformers things in spite of the fact they only really ever got one episode, which admittedly was a fantastic iteration of wacky Transformers nonsense.

I thought they weren't really popular which is why I theorized the amnesia dust theory. :v:

• Locked thread