Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Given the Devastator fight in chaper 1 I have toi ask, does this game follow the Platinum Escalation Curve of "start out ludicrous, go up from there"?

You don't reach nearly Wonderful 101 levels of escalation, but poo poo will get much more extreme, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Kurui Reiten posted:

You don't reach nearly Wonderful 101 levels of escalation, but poo poo will get much more extreme, yes.

But at least you don't get the dumb chaff that came with W101:almost every member of the team besides Red, Blue, Yellow and WONDER SANTA being insufferably obnoxious. Black and White were pretty much non-entities. And most importantly, NO IRRITATING LITTLE SHITS WHO gently caress EVERYTHING UP and don't get any kind of punishment for it (I'm looking at you,Luka). Basically,if the gameplay wasn't so well done and there weren't any hype-rear end poo poo(MASH B TO SAVE THE EARTH :black101:) it'd be my least-favorite Platinum game. But Bayonetta 2,exists,so...

At least Quentin Flynn's character was AMAZING.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 10, 2016

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

least-favorite Platinum game... Bayonetta 2...

son, stop proving your avatar wrong

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kurui Reiten posted:

There isn't much way to top Wonderful 101 (until Wonderful 102 comes out), but it should get pretty absurd given what we have to work with here.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You guys don't need to worry about being old, I'm in the same bracket. I remember when the SNES was brand new and getting it with Super Mario World way back in 1990. Still have said SNES stored away at home.

Also, maybe it's just my memory showing its age, but I genuinely forget at times that Wheeljack is supposed to be the engineer/sciencey dude in G1. I'm more familiar with that role being played by other Autobots/Maximals like Ratchet, Perceptor and Rhinox.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

At least Quentin Flynn's character was AMAZING.

You mean the heir to the throne of the roaming Rhullo, leader of the space pirate band known across the universe as the Guyzoch, Prince Vorkken?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

You mean the heir to the throne of the roaming Rhullo, leader of the space pirate band known across the universe as the Guyzoch, Prince Vorkken?

Indeed I do,Blunder Red.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

AradoBalanga posted:

You guys don't need to worry about being old, I'm in the same bracket. I remember when the SNES was brand new and getting it with Super Mario World way back in 1990. Still have said SNES stored away at home.

Also, maybe it's just my memory showing its age, but I genuinely forget at times that Wheeljack is supposed to be the engineer/sciencey dude in G1. I'm more familiar with that role being played by other Autobots/Maximals like Ratchet, Perceptor and Rhinox.

Ratchet's not really a science-y dude, he's just a really old, tired doctor. Perceptor is literally Wheeljack's replacement after the massacre that was the cartoon movie.

I love Wheeljack, he's so earnest and just loves building new Science Things so much.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Polaron posted:

Ratchet's not really a science-y dude, he's just a really old, tired doctor. Perceptor is literally Wheeljack's replacement after the massacre that was the cartoon movie.

I love Wheeljack, he's so earnest and just loves building new Science Things so much.

Ratchet's pretty science-y in Prime, but scientist/medic/engineer/weaponsmith all kind of blend together when your patients are Transformers, after all.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Polaron posted:

Like Geostomp said, Ratchet being the medic to a squad of giant transforming robots kind of blurs the line between engineer and doctor. So to me, it comes off as a case of overlapping disciplines, even if Ratchet is more Doctor McCoy than Scotty in the franchise.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Geostomp posted:

Ratchet's pretty science-y in Prime, but scientist/medic/engineer/weaponsmith all kind of blend together when your patients are Transformers, after all.

Despite this, on the show they were really careful to talk about how transformer parts were biology rather than technology and couldn't just be rebuilt, and unlike on previous shows they referred to body parts directly instead of with robots terms or machine puns (breakdowns eye on a stick is just an eye and not an optic)

The show had a lot of things like that that are not in rid.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The show had a lot of things like that that are not in rid.

Like good writing.

There,I'm done talking poo poo about RiD unless someone asks me about it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

VolticSurge posted:

There,I'm done talking poo poo about RiD unless someone asks me about it.

How dangerous were the Skunkticons, really?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
look just cuz sinistar came out 10 years before i was born doesn't mean i haven't heard of it

the "i hunger" is a meme!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

How dangerous were the Skunkticons, really?

They were pretty much just a band of idiot thugs,weren't they? I've forgotten a lot of things about the show.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Polaron posted:

It's kinda of weird as people have said in the old cartoon cause basically there wasn't much difference between doctors and engineers. Hell, even Perceptor does stuff involving specific repairs on Autobots in a few episodes. In the one where all the Decepticons get super drunk on Energon, Perceptor is spending a lot of time repairing damage on extremely small and fragile electronic components on the Autobots through a combination of identifying the damage while in microscope form, using a machine that temporarily changes the size of stuff to make it larger and I guess less fragile, fixing it, then shrinking it back down and putting it back in.

Wheeljack is the "mad inventor" of the group for certain. The guy that pushes the boundaries and tries out stuff that others might balk at. Stuff like creating to the Dinobots, and outright defying Optimus Prime when he tells them to stop working on the Dinobots project after initial tests sent them on a rampage. Stuff like a device that allowed Teletraan-1 to completely dominate the personality and control a Decepticon so they could deal with an anti-matter powered Megatron.

I don't actually dislike him but I kinda just like riffing on his history of questionable creations (he offered to build Spike an alt-mode once. I'm not entirely sure how he planned to do that to a human being). I think his car and robot forms are fuckin' sweeeeeeet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I don't actually dislike him but I kinda just like riffing on his history of questionable creations (he offered to build Spike an alt-mode once. I'm not entirely sure how he planned to do that to a human being). I think his car and robot forms are fuckin' sweeeeeeet.

He also turned Spike into a robot Frankenstein using autobot spare parts that one time.

Wheeljack's great, I have no idea why he wasn't a Decepticon.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

PoptartsNinja posted:

He also turned Spike into a robot Frankenstein using autobot spare parts that one time.

In fairness to Wheeljack that Frankenstein monster was made by Spike's dad, Sparkplug. Wheeljack just built the thing that transferred Spike's mind to the robot.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I used the DRILL HANDS basically nonstop forever on Prime once I got them :allears:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wheeljack's not a monster. He just loves science, and sometimes he gets a little carried away. Kind of a Professor Death thing.

The real wonder is Repugnus. He basically keeps getting dishonorable discharges, the Autobots wash their hands of him, then they need someone to do something incredibly sketchy, he just turns up and says "Hey."

Like, he's pretty much a model Decepticon, except that he's always either an Autobot or patiently cooling his heels waiting for the Autobots to go "Uh, much as I hate to say it, we really could use a murderous rat bastard right now."

It's kind of a shame he's barely in anything, since that's an amazing character pitch.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The Autobot you guys were talking about was Whirl not Swindle.

Also annoyed that they didn't finish Devestator's shoulder connectors.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Anora posted:

The Autobot you guys were talking about was Whirl not Swindle.

Also annoyed that they didn't finish Devestator's shoulder connectors.

Well. yeah. Swindle is a Decepticon. And one of the Combaticons no less.
Who maybe has sold the other Combaticons before. And possibly Megatron too now that I think of it.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
So when is the the Space Harrier section coming up?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Rubberduke posted:

So when is the the Space Harrier section coming up?

Chapter or two.

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015
Oh sweet, those Transformers look like the ones from my childhood. Well more or less. Wish I could remember some things from the cartoons back then. Wasn't Bumblebee a VW Beetle at one point? And man, Platinum really makes them nimble.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Delirare posted:

. Wasn't Bumblebee a VW Beetle at one point?

Yes,in G1. Later they went with the more Camaro-style vehicle because Michael Bay loves his product placements.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VolticSurge posted:

Yes,in G1. Later they went with the more Camaro-style vehicle because Michael Bay loves his product placements.

Part of it is also probably that Bay was obsessive about not playing tricks with the mass of the Transformers, and a Beetle would have meant a much smaller Bumblebee than a larger vehicle. Supposedly Bay at one point contemplated an aircraft carrier Cybertronian before realizing just how goddamn big that would make it in humanoid form.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Supposedly Bay at one point contemplated an aircraft carrier Cybertronian before realizing just how goddamn big that would make it in humanoid form.

Then he's never heard of Tidal Wave. Edit: his level in the 2004 Armada game was,and still is,one of my favorite moments of any TF game.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 11, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
it's really a licensing issue
volkswagon does not want transformers made because they don't want "war toys" made of their cars due to their storied past

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VolticSurge posted:

Then he's never heard of Tidal Wave. Edit: his level in the 2004 Armada game was,and still is,one of my favorite moments of any TF game.

No, he specifically contemplated Tidal Wave (he said he'd heard of an aircraft carrier Cybertronian and had strongly considered using it in one of the movies), but decided he was too huge in humanoid form to use in the movie.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

No, he specifically contemplated Tidal Wave (he said he'd heard of an aircraft carrier Cybertronian and had strongly considered using it in one of the movies), but decided he was too huge in humanoid form to use in the movie.

Aw,darn. That would've been cool. Which means that if he did show up he'd be in the movie for 5 seconds,get no lines,and get eclipsed by :downs:WACKY HUMAN ANTICS:downs:,because that's what Bay seems to think people wanna see in a Transformers movie.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Supposedly Bay at one point contemplated an aircraft carrier Cybertronian before realizing just how goddamn big that would make it in humanoid form.
I guess I should give Bay some credit for realizing that some things would just be too much. This also means that we're (thankfully) almost unlikely to see equally giant stuff like Metroplex, Omega Supreme, Trypticon or even Unicron in his films. Hell, Metroplex's transformation sequence would probably eat up at least half of Bay's explosions budget alone, judging by how Fall of Cybertron portrayed it.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

it's really a licensing issue
volkswagon does not want transformers made because they don't want "war toys" made of their cars due to their storied past

Yah. At least that was the story going around before the first one came out. Bay asked to use the Beetle, and they went "Nope, We are strictly non-violent nowadays"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AradoBalanga posted:

I guess I should give Bay some credit for realizing that some things would just be too much. This also means that we're (thankfully) almost unlikely to see equally giant stuff like Metroplex, Omega Supreme, Trypticon or even Unicron in his films. Hell, Metroplex's transformation sequence would probably eat up at least half of Bay's explosions budget alone, judging by how Fall of Cybertron portrayed it.

Reminder that Devastator melted one of ILM's computers used to animate it. :v:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

How much of the CGI budget went into its stupid robot testicles? I'm genuinely curious.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare:

That probably explains why we never saw any other Combiners after the second movie.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The mayfly-like life-cycle of Bayformers Devastator:

- Exists for 3 minutes to literally teabag the audience.
- Dies.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

VolticSurge posted:

quote:

In Japan, after becoming Mirage, Tidal Wave became straight-up Gay For Galvatron. The dub dodged the issue as best it could (although honestly, that was probably more due to the fact that the English writers didn't seem to know what was going on in the show at the best of times), with Mirage's love-struck remarks being replaced with simple cheering for his leader or something else entirely—but it couldn't do anything about his repeated coquetteish gestures, doe-eyed expressions, or that one time he pirouetted and struck a pose while surrounded by a glowing pink heart. Maybe Tidal Wave couldn't properly articulate his love in his Armada form?
:wtc:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Of course, half of the reason for all that is that Bayformers tend to look like random masses of scrap metal with a little paint and almost no loving armor. Seriously, it looks like if you jammed a stick into one of them somewhere, all their gears and poo poo would seize. No wonder they die so easily. If they were just designed to look simpler in robot form, a lot of rendering power could be shifted.

Optimus Prime's face does not need fifty thousand loving lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

What about Shockwave's weird skyscraper killing cyberworms then?

• Locked thread