Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I'll probably just buy in anyway but I've got two very important questions first

- Is that little ratfuck mascot's english VO as irritating as it reads it might be with all that the- prefixing and i'm gonna be on japanese VO
- Can you default the battle thing to traditional menus in the full game, 'cos you can't in the demo

Tama's tic is annoying but honestly I got used to it a couple hours into the game. It stands out less when it is happening during random dialogue instead of during the Big Exposition Scenes.

You absolutely can default to classic if you want, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
honestly, once you take a little time to set up your shortcuts, there's not a whole lot of reason to use classic, imo, except for items and summons, but to each their own, obviously. the simple menu is pretty fast, and how many times are you gonna want to use something you can't set with one of the 16 shortcut slots you're given?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Let me get this straight.

I can pick a champion's theme and random battle music will be from that person's games AND I can stack things, like I'm watching this streamer and Shiva is holding up the female character on her left hand while a moogle is perched on her head.

That alone makes me wanna buy this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

Yup, 50 hours should do it then.

I don't think I could physically get the platinum trophy because of the stupid loving Whack-A-Cactuar minigame.

Better keep practicing little Jiant girl!

Is there any rhythm or pattern to that minigame? Because holy god it was annoying to even get the 1 hit needed.

IcePhoenix posted:

Bummer. Oh well.

This is probably a dumb question, but if I transfigure a mirage into a different skin, does it keep the stat points it gains from those nodes? I had like 50 something SP to spend when I switched over with my mini-golem out of curiosity, and when I switched back I'm fairly certain his stats were higher than before, but it also might have just been a new sync level and I wasn't paying attention.

No stats carry over when completely changing mirage boards. If you just went mini golem -> next evolution on the same board, then yea he would keep whatever stats points you picked up on the mini golem board.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Controversial opinion: I like Tama, I think she's adorable, and I don't mind her verbal tic.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Am I missing something or is the game really stingy with M and L monsters in the early game? The only one M one I've even seen was the medium golem guy, no Ls at all at this point. My guys are all level 7 and 8 so they don't have access to the evo boards or anything yet, unless I'm supposed to be grinding

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shoren posted:

Controversial opinion: I like Tama, I think she's adorable, and I don't mind her verbal tic.

She's the-adorable and I love her cute face.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Am I missing something or is the game really stingy with M and L monsters in the early game? The only one M one I've even seen was the medium golem guy, no Ls at all at this point. My guys are all level 7 and 8 so they don't have access to the evo boards or anything yet, unless I'm supposed to be grinding

The first L monster you can capture is the Right Hand enemy in Pyrefly Forest so if you aren't there yet, just wait. I had the Twins in L-form for the first few dungeons. L-forms tend to be what your monsters will transform into so by mid-game you'll be swimming in them.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
yeah it's really only for like the first two or three dungeons, and you'll have an opportunity. plus a bit after that you'll probably start having some medium size ones level up enough to transfig into large ones, so you'll definitely have more to play around with

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I haven't had a chance to play in a few days due to real life poo poo, but I wanted to mention a couple of my current favorite Mirage combos I'm rolling out. I don't think this is really spoilers but I'll blank out the paragraphs in case.

For magic, people have already mentioned how good Flan Princess is. She has access to several different elements on her own, has several blank spaces set out across the three Flan boards that you can load down with other elements, and the Celestriad passive for a chance at negating the AP cost of actions. I was pairing her with a Baby Paleberry for Strategic AP Hike, but now I like having a Searcher as the S Mirage since they get the Battery Powered passive from their L sized transfiguration's board. Battery Powered causes the stack to start with the full 12 AP every battle and reduces all AP costs by 1, but also lowers the amount of AP regained per turn, which isn't much of a downside when you can hit weaknesses all the time for bonus AP regain and occasionally get spells free with Celestriad. Searchers can also get Charge from the Magitek Armor board, and a Syphon Mirajewel can also help in longer, more drawn out battles.

Physical damage is a weirder situation for me now, since it seems a lot harder to supplement with seeds or Mirajewels (at least as of Chapter 17), but I like Hyperion a lot just for Stretch Legs and being super fast already. Him being M sized is kinda rough though because then you have to use one of the kids as L sized instead of one of the big physical beatstick Mirages. For L sized use, I like the Malboro Menace a lot, less for its ability to hurt things and more for Putrid Breath and the combo tech Balancing Act being a guaranteed topple.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The story makes a lot, lot more sense after reading the entire Who's Who manual. Some of it is hysterical, some of it really clarifies a lot of the plot, namely that Enna Kros is Alexander. Sort of.

Ended up blowing through all but the level 90 coliseum fights after reading. I'm tempted to get Master Tonberry and Cactuar Conductor and farm AGI+++ seeds and make crazy multiplayer stacks, but my PS+ is out and I don't think its worth it just for this.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

The story makes a lot, lot more sense after reading the entire Who's Who manual. Some of it is hysterical, some of it really clarifies a lot of the plot, namely that Enna Kros is Alexander. Sort of.

Ended up blowing through all but the level 90 coliseum fights after reading. I'm tempted to get Master Tonberry and Cactuar Conductor and farm AGI+++ seeds and make crazy multiplayer stacks, but my PS+ is out and I don't think its worth it just for this.

what about Rocket League

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

what about Rocket League

Literally haven't played it before. Pokemon and FF15 are both coming out soon, so I'll probably just play nothing for two weeks rather than waste cash on PS+ to play this online.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No stats carry over when completely changing mirage boards. If you just went mini golem -> next evolution on the same board, then yea he would keep whatever stats points you picked up on the mini golem board.

Mini-golem doesn't have any evolutions :v: but point taken, I probably hit a synergy bonus.

e: does anyone else notice that stack abilities are hitting for less than individual abilities a level lower? I just noticed that my fira was doing 1600 damage while a stack firaga was doing 1400. No buffs were involved and it was on the same enemy.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 6, 2016

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Mini-golem doesn't have any evolutions :v: but point taken, I probably hit a synergy bonus.

e: does anyone else notice that stack abilities are hitting for less than individual abilities a level lower? I just noticed that my fira was doing 1600 damage while a stack firaga was doing 1400. No buffs were involved and it was on the same enemy.

sometimes stacks can lower certain stats like magic or defence depending on whether the mirages in them are low-level by comparison and are non-magic users

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, the -ga spells are meant for enemy groups not just one dude. -ja spells are what you're looking for.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I'm fairly early on, can someone explain mirage boards to me a little more. Are the transformations always just flat better? if you level up a different form do you still get the abilities in every form? what are the ones that just say "unlock board" without unlocking a transformation? What are the conditions other than level to unlock boards? Like what lets tama evolve?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

An hour in and they've already decided they're going to acknowledge the fourth wall in terms of how finely they can grind it

I like this game's silliness, and Tama is nowhere near as annoying in English as I thought she'd be

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm fairly early on, can someone explain mirage boards to me a little more. Are the transformations always just flat better? if you level up a different form do you still get the abilities in every form? what are the ones that just say "unlock board" without unlocking a transformation? What are the conditions other than level to unlock boards? Like what lets tama evolve?

There are two things:

One is a Transfiguration into another form. This usually changes the size but can also just change some stats around. Some abilities are shared between forms (usually generic skills) but some are tied to that specific form. All these size-changing forms share the same SP. All the different monster forms count as one Mirage Board

The other is a new Mirage Board which is usually a pallet swap (i.e: Chocobo to Black Chocobo.) This usually has a different stat lineup (i.e: fire based instead of ice based or something) and shares nothing with the other forms but has the same amount of SP as if you leveled it up to that point.

Different forms aren't necessarily better. L-sized usually have better stats but that doesn't mean they're better. Just different.

Unlocking boards is usually done by finding a Memento or item or by reaching a certain level.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

There are two things:

One is a Transfiguration into another form. This usually changes the size but can also just change some stats around. Some abilities are shared between forms (usually generic skills) but some are tied to that specific form. All these size-changing forms share the same SP. All the different monster forms count as one Mirage Board

The other is a new Mirage Board which is usually a pallet swap (i.e: Chocobo to Black Chocobo.) This usually has a different stat lineup (i.e: fire based instead of ice based or something) and shares nothing with the other forms but has the same amount of SP as if you leveled it up to that point.

Different forms aren't necessarily better. L-sized usually have better stats but that doesn't mean they're better. Just different.

Unlocking boards is usually done by finding a Memento or item or by reaching a certain level.

Different boards share Soulbond or whatever its called for the 25%-50%-75%-100% stat boosts. Also makes it much easier for "Master 100 Mirage Board" trophy completion.

Fritt/Afreet/Ifrit/Ifreeta are all p much the same stats, there isn't a size indicator necessarily. You basically select size based on what unique abilities that size has (L has the summon All attacks, M dragons have some good buffs, etc) not their stats.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, the -ga spells are meant for enemy groups not just one dude. -ja spells are what you're looking for.

Oh drat, I didn't even notice it was a target all spell.

Is there a good online resource that has a listing of all the mirages in each area? I've come across another zone where I'm missing one.

Also does anyone know if you have to currently have one of each mirage in your possession for the collect em all trophy or just had to have had them at some point (ie you had them and then transfiged them to something else)?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Nephzinho posted:

This is not true. The first DLC sheds some light on that one. Enna Kros beat the poo poo out of Alexander when she was a kid. Much later on, the Farna clan summoned him into the world of Grymoire, which is actually part of Enna Kros. He's IN her, but NOT her. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMU152Awl3Q

Varance fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 6, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey I am having intervention issues. I'm doing the one with Bartz and more specifically Behemonster. I'm trying to imprism him and he keeps breaking free and ultimately I end up dying to his counter attacks.I can't recall if I've ever actually imprismed an enemy from these battles before. Am I able to? Or should I focus on just killing him?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hey I am having intervention issues. I'm doing the one with Bartz and more specifically Behemonster. I'm trying to imprism him and he keeps breaking free and ultimately I end up dying to his counter attacks.I can't recall if I've ever actually imprismed an enemy from these battles before. Am I able to? Or should I focus on just killing him?

Just keep hitting it (I think physical attacks are the trigger?) until you get the super saiyan god prismtunity, shouldn't take more than a couple tosses to catch it after that. You can even unstack to get more attacks in if you can survive through it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You can, you just need to hit the criteria a few times to boost your odds. I forget if you can Sleep/Blind him, but on anything with a low capture rate it helps to deal with the counters by having either of those up. Hitting Capture criteria 3+ times also is yuuuuge.

Varance posted:

This is not true. The first DLC sheds some light on that one. Enna Kros beat the poo poo out of Alexander when she was a kid. Much later on, the Farna clan summoned him into the world of Grymoire, which is actually part of Enna Kros. He's IN her, but NOT her. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMU152Awl3Q

I did the DLC first before reading. Yeah I'm not sure how it works. Doing the DLC first made me wonder who the hell she was even more, followed by some weird many faced god thing of fighting amongst oneself - she can both be Alexander and have beaten the fragment of Alexander that is Big Bridge in a fight. Or something. I'm not going to lose sleep over trying to unravel it. It definitely does make sense after Lann's whole hulking out and going "hey, that arm looks like a rampart from Alexander" and then finding out that is exactly the case. I didn't realize that fight was DLC, though, and makes me hopeful that future DLC will be challenging and have interesting tidbits.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

IcePhoenix posted:

Just keep hitting it (I think physical attacks are the trigger?) until you get thesuper saiyan god prismtunity, shouldn't take more than a couple tosses to catch it after that. You can even unstack to get more attacks in if you can survive through it.

Well guess what I just discovered was a thing

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a good online resource that has a listing of all the mirages in each area? I've come across another zone where I'm missing one.

Also does anyone know if you have to currently have one of each mirage in your possession for the collect em all trophy or just had to have had them at some point (ie you had them and then transfiged them to something else)?

You have to transfig them, you can turn em right back but you can't just unlock the entire shiva line and have it count for whatever reason.

The Mirage Manual will show you who's grayed out. If they have a description despite being gray it just means that you can go fill it out whenever you want. If it's ???? then you have no way of making it quite yet.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
For those who play Record Keeper, we'll be getting a WoFF event sometime in the next few months as filler for skipped JP content.

Lann's Soul Breaks:
OSB Odin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRprcp5FR0A
BSB Ifrit Stack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzS1NABBm8
SSB Behemoth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lnnfvmAvE

Reynn's Soul Breaks:
BSB Shiva Stack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLx90JNtYas
SSB Ramuh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHbdnYCPkYQ

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 7, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I haven't had a chance to play in a few days due to real life poo poo, but I wanted to mention a couple of my current favorite Mirage combos I'm rolling out. I don't think this is really spoilers but I'll blank out the paragraphs in case.

For magic, people have already mentioned how good Flan Princess is. She has access to several different elements on her own, has several blank spaces set out across the three Flan boards that you can load down with other elements, and the Celestriad passive for a chance at negating the AP cost of actions. I was pairing her with a Baby Paleberry for Strategic AP Hike, but now I like having a Searcher as the S Mirage since they get the Battery Powered passive from their L sized transfiguration's board. Battery Powered causes the stack to start with the full 12 AP every battle and reduces all AP costs by 1, but also lowers the amount of AP regained per turn, which isn't much of a downside when you can hit weaknesses all the time for bonus AP regain and occasionally get spells free with Celestriad. Searchers can also get Charge from the Magitek Armor board, and a Syphon Mirajewel can also help in longer, more drawn out battles.

Physical damage is a weirder situation for me now, since it seems a lot harder to supplement with seeds or Mirajewels (at least as of Chapter 17), but I like Hyperion a lot just for Stretch Legs and being super fast already. Him being M sized is kinda rough though because then you have to use one of the kids as L sized instead of one of the big physical beatstick Mirages. For L sized use, I like the Malboro Menace a lot, less for its ability to hurt things and more for Putrid Breath and the combo tech Balancing Act being a guaranteed topple.

You should try out Valefor. She has strategic AP hike which is godly and Misdirection(very high topple strength) which can topple some stacks in 1 cast, but will definitely topple any stack in the game with 2 uses.

IcePhoenix posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YUmvb-Yne7FCcb7OFAxbXecH3BU5Y4cAuVZir0gOmFs/htmlview?sle=true#gid=1575252524

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What do these Interventions actually do for me, and is there any indicator of when I should do them? I just got done with the events in Cornelia, and that first intervention seemed kind of pointless, especially for how long it took to do.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

What do these Interventions actually do for me, and is there any indicator of when I should do them? I just got done with the events in Cornelia, and that first intervention seemed kind of pointless, especially for how long it took to do.

Do them as you unlock them, they reward interesting items, give the opportunity to get some new mirages, and give you some mementos. There are also some good scenes of past FF characters making jokes about themselves, like Squall's desire to become a gardener and fill the world with flowers!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You should try out Valefor. She has strategic AP hike which is godly and Misdirection(very high topple strength) which can topple some stacks in 1 cast, but will definitely topple any stack in the game with 2 uses.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YUmvb-Yne7FCcb7OFAxbXecH3BU5Y4cAuVZir0gOmFs/htmlview?sle=true#gid=1575252524

I actually used Valefor for a good portion of the middle of the game, but I can't use Valefor and Flan Princess in the same stack so the bird got the bench.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

Do them as you unlock them, they reward interesting items, give the opportunity to get some new mirages, and give you some mementos. There are also some good scenes of past FF characters making jokes about themselves, like Squall's desire to become a gardener and fill the world with flowers!

Wait could I have imprismed anything from that first intervention? poo poo. Wonder if I have an old save.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Wait could I have imprismed anything from that first intervention? poo poo. Wonder if I have an old save.

You can replay them, use Libra to see what the criteria for capture is. Go buy a few of every elemental stone and debuff item. Also can go L1 > Attack > view the target window to see which monsters have prisms next to their names.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is awesome, thank you.

Another question: when you master a mirage board, is the bonus locked to the current pallet that mirage is on? Or even transfiguration, if that matters I guess.

vvv Awesome, thanks again :) vvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 7, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

IcePhoenix posted:

This is awesome, thank you.

Another question: when you master a mirage board, is the bonus locked to the current pallet that mirage is on? Or even transfiguration, if that matters I guess.

To the current board. If you transfig another board, you can pick another bonus. They don't stack obviously. ie your Tonberry board can have one bonus and your Palebarry board can pick another.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 7, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i played the demo and loved this and it wasnt too hard for my dumb brain although it seemed overwhleming with the stacks and unstacks and chibi and normal; is it totally possible to play the game just using everything stacked and just the large non anime characters?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

i played the demo and loved this and it wasnt too hard for my dumb brain although it seemed overwhleming with the stacks and unstacks and chibi and normal; is it totally possible to play the game just using everything stacked and just the large non anime characters?

I don't think there was a situation outside of "making myself weaker to avoid one hitting something I wanted to catch" where I unstacked on purpose. Outside of occasionally unstacking and then immediately restacking to restore balance when I didn't have Balance.

You can play with the main characters in chibi or anime form, you just lock yourself out of using a mirage of that size.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Empress Brosephine posted:

The only time you're really unstacking is for very very specific criteria. Some people (and the game) will recommend unstacking and then restacking if you start wobbling really hard since it resets your stability, but I just use a wobblestopper (which I have like 20 of still even though I've never bought one) to save time on actions if I feel like falling over would be a problem. And yes to the second question, though it means you won't be able to use any large mirages. I don't think I've ever used Lann as a non-Jiant, and I could have done the same with Reynn but I wanted to use the magitek armor.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
awesome thanks guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is it me, or does the (Chapter 17 area) Train graveyard go on forever?

also this game gets a lot harder when you switch out mirages and forget to make sure all your stacks are set up afterwards.

• Locked thread