Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is extremely my poo poo, I'm liking it a lot more than I expected. I got a weird Kingdom Hearts vibe from the trailers, but honestly the game is pretty grounded, at least in the ways that are important. The localization team for this knocked it out of the park hard, I don't think I've laughed as much at tutorial screens in any other game. Tama manages to work well for me, cutsey and amusing without veering into grating and I the-like her vocal quirk.

The battle system has one demerit with me, albeit a small one, in that the battle SPEED seems by default exceedingly low. There's really no point in having the bar on the side indicate the passage of turns, because there does not appear to be any way to actually affect the enemy's position on the bar besides stopping it with a sleep status effect or something similar. Contrast this to something like Grandia, where that means of measuring turn order actually was integral to the combat system, with a balance of slow-charged hard-hitting attacks mixed with fast attacks used to keep enemies from performing their own moves or to displace them in the turn order. Here the battles seem quite slow, so the fast-forward command really becomes essential, and I feel like it could have been simplified to make a more compromised solution. If they just adopted a turn-order system like you see in Final Fantasy X, I actually think the whole combat aspect of the game would click into place even better.

All that being said I do feel like there's a lot of depth to the mechanics at play, so I'm pleased to see this isn't a paper-thin RPG. In fact, the whole game seems to be bursting with imagination and a surprising amount of original ideas. For a fanservice title, they actually seemed to really genuinely care about producing a sincerely quality product. The charm at work is important, the game's tone brings it all together. FF13 and the FF7 spin-offs all felt like they were written by space aliens, so I'm glad to see that the wit and humor present in something like FF14 isn't merely a fluke, and appears to be part of the new direction Square is trying to push its products.

For some reason this title gives me great optimism about the future of Final Fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Empress Brosephine posted:

this gmae looks awesome but is it hard

It's offered fairly shallow challenge so far, but the combat system is engaging because there's tons of things to level up and customize. Fighting is rarely a waste of time because you're always hungry for more exp to get more abilities and/or work your Mirages up to their evolution level. It's not boring, in other words, even though it is easy.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay, that makes me feel better about the game. The KH feel of the trailer I watched put me off the game. As long as it doesn't vanish up its own rear end (Why do you guys think KH3 is taking so long?), I think I may be good.

I can make no promises about how the game ultimately ends up, I can just go by the first five hours. It's super cute and funny though

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is great. The character bios are so good. Quistis' got a good laugh out of me.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

What's the average playtime for a 100% run?

I'm between this, Darkest Dungeon or DQ Builders for my vita.

ANd bear in mind this IS a monster-raiser game so you could very easily play this game for weeks and weeks if you're like me and spend an hour of your Saturday running in circles trying to capture a rare spawning Mirage.

Of due note, this game really does keep delivering. I love how they handle the cameos and the whole world in general, I really feel like I'm on a Final Fantasy theme park ride. I've gotten the second key and am now hanging out with Cloud and Celes in the Library of the Ancients and the coming dungeon looks great, the previous dungeon was cool, and so far I'm really liking how the game is structured in a lot of ways. The level design has...well there's actual level design, which is a huge step up from the FF13-era games, but more than that it is fun to wander around the various dungeons, and I'm constantly looking forward to what familiar location I'll be running into next.

This game really is a huge love letter to FF games but more than that it's a love letter to FF gamePLAY; I feel like in a lot of ways I'm playing the 3-D follow-up to 2-D Final Fantasy games that we never really got. The art style sprites really do look a lot like some of the 2-D games artwork. I could almost see a whole game done with this sprite design; tweak a few details, maybe make the heads smaller in favor of more detailed bodies, and you could make it work pretty well.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shoren posted:

Controversial opinion: I like Tama, I think she's adorable, and I don't mind her verbal tic.

She's the-adorable and I love her cute face.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Am I missing something or is the game really stingy with M and L monsters in the early game? The only one M one I've even seen was the medium golem guy, no Ls at all at this point. My guys are all level 7 and 8 so they don't have access to the evo boards or anything yet, unless I'm supposed to be grinding

The first L monster you can capture is the Right Hand enemy in Pyrefly Forest so if you aren't there yet, just wait. I had the Twins in L-form for the first few dungeons. L-forms tend to be what your monsters will transform into so by mid-game you'll be swimming in them.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey I am having intervention issues. I'm doing the one with Bartz and more specifically Behemonster. I'm trying to imprism him and he keeps breaking free and ultimately I end up dying to his counter attacks.I can't recall if I've ever actually imprismed an enemy from these battles before. Am I able to? Or should I focus on just killing him?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

IcePhoenix posted:

Just keep hitting it (I think physical attacks are the trigger?) until you get thesuper saiyan god prismtunity, shouldn't take more than a couple tosses to catch it after that. You can even unstack to get more attacks in if you can survive through it.

Well guess what I just discovered was a thing

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
In regards to stacking, I find myself constantly shuffling my stacks in order to try out new monsters, so I actually find it sort of frustrating that I can't shrink my main characters down even smaller--it forces me to use S-size monsters, which on one hand is tidy design but on the other prevents me from going like full death tank mode.

What's impressed/surprised me most about this game is the gradual complexity that dungeons start having. Even from the start there's a few hidden paths that require Mirage abilities or the oft-mentioned secret rooms, but later on as well you get some really cool stuff like the SunkenTemple.

Also Shantotto is legit terrifying.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

morallyobjected posted:

I don't mind the anime cutscenes, but they also don't feel like they add much. I'm guessing they were just cheaper to produce than making them in engine

They probably bought an anime studio to make that pointless five-episode anime tie-in for FFXV and now every game has to include an anime cutscene to justify the cost.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ciaphas posted:

I'm only just out of Corneria but haven't really figured out why or when to change up stacks yet either. Guess that'll change for elemental weaknesses or something, but when I tried that in the goblin camp by setting up both guys with fire (because some of the monsters in the area were vulnerable) the boss ended up taking a while because he wasn't :v:

You're going to hit pretty soon areas with fairly uniform elemental layouts--an ice area for example--that will make you want to swap out monsters to get the right attacks available. In general enemies can actually come with really solid defensive stats as you progress, and if you can't hit their elemental or status weakness, you'll be in for a long slog of a fight, so the game will keep you wanting to diversify your stacks throughout much of the playtime. In my experience, at least.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

more like dICK posted:

So are people typically doing one magic and one strength stack, or having better luck with more balanced stacks?

I've been optimizing for neat looking mirages, so my stacks are always kinda under powered, and I haven't unlocked many high level abilities.

I have tried to do this but I do find it kind of annoying at times because as I swap monsters out I end up with sometimes really big stat spikes and drops. Physical attacks aren't very useful by the endgame when everything seems to have a ton of health. Physical attacks also miss a lot, many of the skills have that as a penalty but even regular attacks have a surprisingly high potential to whiff.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm stuck for what I need to do now, about the end of the game. I just got Tama back and I've done all the available interventions except for this DLC one that is way too tough. The main mission icon is telling me to go to the Tearoom but there's nothing to do there but that specific intervention (Omega God) and the game won't let me access the final dungeon anymore either. What do I need to do to proceed?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, so this game's writing and scenes are all basically just fanfiction but y'know what I like it.

I guess there was more to do and the late-game intervention with Snow meeting, fighting, then teaming up with a male super sentai version of Shiva called Shivalry to kill a giant flan, then having Lightning showing up, having been inspired by her fight with Odin earlier to copy his super move is just the best thing. I don't even like FF13 or Snow and Lightning all that much, and yet I am nevertheless delighted... These are the kind of people I want writing Final Fantasy games.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Grozz Nuy posted:

If I just unchained Figaro and freed Bahamut how far through the game am I? I'm guessing about halfway from having two out of four keys and the apparent level progression?

You're not as far as you may think. Maybe around the 1/3 mark? There's a lot of sidequests and stuff later on.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having some final boss trouble. What's my best method for getting confuse immunity onto my stacks?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

There is a Seed that gives it and you can get at least one in the Colosseum.

However I mentioned it before but the move that applies confusion can be Reflected and you probably have a bunch of things that can trivially learn Reflect by this point.

...motherfuck I forgot about reflect

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Haha this game gets batshit crazy by the end, but it's honestly worth the headache of the final boss rush for these end credits. It's a cuteness overload. I like that they actually invested money into making a big ending cinemtic, although I don't think I ever thought I'd see the day the Final Fantasy series got to this level of anime.

Please give teh Crystal Chronicles team the reigns to do Final Fantasy 16.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The cosmology of this game is all kind of loving crazy.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Also, do take the time to go to the Twins' room and read the Who's Who. It's absolutely worth it. Do it after you meet your first Final Fantasy 8 cameo for a really great joke.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Baal posted:

I finished this game

I liked it a lot until I got to the last fourth of it where there were two insanely boring and long dungeons, five million interventions at once, and five bosses in a row with no healing in between for no reason. I still like it a lot, but I got pretty soured on playing the game more at the end of it.

The final boss rush is surprisingly challenging (I actually got killed by the team-up boss fight between the two) but the massive amount of interventions were fine 'cause those were by far my favorite parts of the game anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Baal posted:

The Dyad Demons were good, but everything else was a mixture of the same thing with the Cogna and the Superaltima Weapon gimmick was really bad. Like there are a lot of good interventions prior to the shittons that drop after the Cogna become things and even after those, but the ones that drop at that point are all really boring and uninteresting especially the Cloud and Squall ones where they have existential meltdowns and there are so many of them it becomes a grind to finish them.

Excuse me but the Cloud one is a fun adventure where he and Celes hang out and attempt to practice for an opera and then they enjoy some fried octopus afterwards.

• Locked thread