Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

My experience with android was the "flagship" galaxy s, which had the worst gps ever, didn't get updated past i think 2 versions of android (the first of which was already old by the time the phone launched), and was then replaced by the next "flagship" in short time.
It also had samsung's utterly terrible "Robust File System" which slowed the entire phone to a halt if you installed something, or eventually after enough general use would just run like dogshit anyway

quote:

Before you go congratulating them on a great job, remember this is the second time they did this. The original attempt was called Robust File System. It was an abortion based on FAT16/32 with a duplicated file allocation table and some sort of journalling hacked on top.

It was claimed to be optimised for NAND devices and all that other good stuff, but the community quickly came to rename it Really loving Slow.

This file system was so slow that on the original Galaxy S the kernel would think software locked up while writing to the disk and prompt the user to force close the device. Search for "lagfix" if you're interested in what a disaster this was. There were users world wide trying to find fixes for the slow system performance, and the fix was often in the form of a kernel which supported ext4 or yaffs and a utility which converted the entire /system and /data partitions in the phone to the more common file systems.

I'm hopeful things aren't so bad now, haven't seen any phone with a feature point of "HAS A BAROMETER" lately, but that phone made me run to the iphone and never look back. Is android not a shitshow any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread