Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm absolutely fine with Apple, but I've never owned a legitimate Mac since the original Mac Mini.

I'm the total reverse of this thread on mobile equipment. So long as Android allows open hardware profiles supported by driver blobs provided by the manufacturer, I'm out. I used it for five years (technically six) and every Android device I owned had at LEAST a year where I ran Cyanogen or something on it to use an OS on a device that the manufacturer ended support for. It often came down to nothing more complicated than wanting to sell you a new phone, though other reasons included carriers and "Google can't get Samsung to update the Exynos blobs" (hi, Nexus 10).

I owned one carrier branded device (GS2 i777 AT&T) and four Nexus devices (Nexus 1/4/5/10) and while the N1 had critical hardware nearsightedness, everything else was discarded on the trash heap of progress before it's time. And along the way I experienced batteries that drained super fast, a phone I had to reboot every time I turned on the camera because the camera wouldn't turn off and would devour the battery in an hour, a tablet that would randomly BRRRRRZT and reboot when playing YouTube, encryption so bad that users revolted when it was enabled, etc.

Apple doesn't have enough hardware engineers to keep all of the products up to date, and I wish there was a modular Mac with state of the art components, or a MacBook with a touch screen, as much as anyone else does. But I can't kiss the iPhone's rear end enough.

Tablets will be a more interesting story. Android tablets are hindered by the lovely Chrome for Android, and a world of software that is either dodgy or designed entire for phones. Google's tablets will get much more interesting when they're running Chrome OS with an Android app engine that's actually stable. If I can run a desktop class browser with uBlock Origin and occasionally open Android-based utilities and games as I want, that's a much bigger deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread