Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bob Morales posted:

Windows is still full of driver weirdness, scaling oddities, hardware functions that don't work after upgrading...

I use 7 every day at work and have personal laptops running 10, installing the latest Mac OS on a 3-5 year old Mac Laptop isn't really any different than on a brand new one. Windows hardware that old can be a lottery even with the well-supported common stuff.

I'd argue that (anecdotally, of course). I've been testing 10 on a bunch of 6-7 year old PC's at work, and even ones that Dell says "no promise it'll work on 10" are working fine. I've honestly never had issues with anything other than cheapo-as-poo poo stuff, which is the entirety of what people ever really have issues with. But if you bought a $200 Walmart special in 2010, it's probably a PC from 2005, so in 2016 its over 10 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Comatoast posted:

The Awful app keeps me on iOS. The android version doesn't compare.

Really? I use both and the Android version is so much better, at least for me.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

GargleBlaster posted:

Didn't say "never" as that would be bonkers. There's always an exception somewhere. But I've had an original, a 3GS, a 4, a 6 and a 5S (secondary) and despite all of Apple's faults (including antenna shenanigans on the 4), my experience matched the common claim of them "Just Working". And despite all the great things about Android, I've had more bugs and random glitches and reasons to Factory Reset Yet Again then I can count.

Android since Galaxy S2. Aside from when I've side-loaded sketchy poo poo, I've needed to factory reset a phone all of once. My work iPhone 5 that I've had for a year has needed 3 because its a flaming piece of poo poo.

Oh, wait, something about anecdotes and all that. But, yeah, they both loving suck, except when they don't.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

GargleBlaster posted:

I'm having an affair with my ex...

Almost tempted to go back, at least in terms of the phone. I'm sick of micromanaging everything so that they don't hammer the battery, and doing factory resets when "Google Play Services" and the like decide to guzzle it for no apparent reason. My mate would say "but I got an Android phone for £100 and it does everything I need and the battery is always fine? And you want to spend £700 on an iPhone?" - but that's just it, a £100 Android phone does not do everything I want. And once you start loading those things up, budget phones don't quite cut it and the battery life becomes less predictable.

And man, I read this and I go "what the hell?" I've got an iPhone 6S from work, and an S7 Edge as my personal phone. I install way less apps with the iPhone, but I've had to factory reset it twice in the last 6 months. The Edge is over a year and I've put all kinds of poo poo on it and zero issues. I mean, use what you like, but every time I read about "polish" and whatnot...I just don't see it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

GargleBlaster posted:

I... guess everyone's experiences are different? I've never had to factory reset an iPhone. Not once. I did however have to go through "try clearing your cache" and "try a full re-flash" a few times when things like Android System and Google Play Services started randomly guzzling the battery on various Androids and the fun a month or two ago when my 3T froze solid then rebooted itself to a message saying your phone cannot be decrypted please factory reset. Luckily the backup/restore process is less terrible than it used to be :)

Yeah no 100% agreeing. I just always read about Android's making GBS threads the bed, and I've had one issue ever with my old S2 where I had to reset it a few times over the course of a couple of weeks because of a bad OS update (or something, I can't really remember). Otherwise they've been solid, but the iPhone has been a pain. And my big one is people going on about the "polish" on Apple products, as I beat my head against the wall trying to do basic poo poo with them - I have to google how to do so much stuff on my iPhone because its not intuitive to me.

• Locked thread