Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«27 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

E: Make a simulacrum of him out of random garbage floating around in the sewers. Do it slowly so that he sees every rotten shoelace turning into arteries etc. Turn an ancient, crippled rat into the simulacrums heart to really drive the point home. When it is finished, send it up the way he came down.

Then give him the choice of freely surrendering his stolen power, upon which we send him back up after draining him, or joining our cool gang. If he refuses, turn him into a sentient hat or something that the simulacrum will use forevermore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




Well we could always talk to him and pick up the lay of-

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

E: Make a simulacrum of him out of random garbage floating around in the sewers. Do it slowly so that he sees every rotten shoelace turning into arteries etc. Turn an ancient, crippled rat into the simulacrums heart to really drive the point home. When it is finished, send it up the way he came down.

Then give him the choice of freely surrendering his stolen power, upon which we send him back up after draining him, or joining our cool gang. If he refuses, turn him into a sentient hat or something that the simulacrum will use forevermore.


Nevermind, nothing's topping this.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


It would be uncouth of me as your host to call you weird and gross, so instead I'll ask what my wife thinks: "you guys are weird and gross!"

But yes, it looks like garbage simulacra is the name of the game, followed by talking to him. Good luck! That's not meant to be ominous, just a general hope!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Dog Kisser posted:

We'll just have a side story of not!Ulanov going about his daily business like Mr Magoo, making the world a better place by his bumbling

Yes. Please do this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005




Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

E: Make a simulacrum of him out of random garbage floating around in the sewers. Do it slowly so that he sees every rotten shoelace turning into arteries etc. Turn an ancient, crippled rat into the simulacrums heart to really drive the point home. When it is finished, send it up the way he came down.

Then give him the choice of freely surrendering his stolen power, upon which we send him back up after draining him, or joining our cool gang. If he refuses, turn him into a sentient hat or something that the simulacrum will use forevermore.


(that's a yes vote, too shocked to voice)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Toilet Rascal

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

E: Make a simulacrum of him out of random garbage floating around in the sewers. Do it slowly so that he sees every rotten shoelace turning into arteries etc. Turn an ancient, crippled rat into the simulacrums heart to really drive the point home. When it is finished, send it up the way he came down.

Then give him the choice of freely surrendering his stolen power, upon which we send him back up after draining him, or joining our cool gang. If he refuses, turn him into a sentient hat or something that the simulacrum will use forevermore.


It's beautiful. Throwing my support behind this masterpiece of squickery.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.



“Good evening, Ulanov Rastochka Artemovich. You have something of mine.” He didn't look like much, pants around his ankles, waist deep in slime - some of it of his own making. By contrast, you were a goddess; eyes glowing amber, skin reflecting the light like mahogany, filth fleeing from you like oil from soapy water. And yet… something in his eyes made you feel flatter. Lesser. Your eyes narrowed.

He drew himself up, pulling on his pants and shouting as he sought to recover his dignity. “I demand to know the meaning of this! Aren't I paying you crooks enough!? You send a… a black sewer witch after me instead of coming to my office like regular drat people? gently caress you!”

You flicked a finger, and a gobbet of sludge spattered across his tongue. Really now, the causal racism was a little much. Here was a man used to getting his own way, even in unfavorable situations. You hadn't pushed him far enough.

Yet.

While he retched, the current swirled around him. A crumpled bit of newspaper seized suddenly, then began to expand and contract. More wrappers slid towards our, clicking into place as though they were meant to, and all the while growing more defined, looking more and more like-

“A lung? What the gently caress is that? Listen, lady, one call from me and you're dead. I have connections in the… what's happening!?”

Another lung joined the first, coughing out sewer water and writhing as they were joined by banana peel kidneys and earthworm veins. Broken glass bottles rose from the more and clicked together into a hollow, fragile skeleton that filled with water and froze into solidity. The body clawed at the surface of the water, seeming to fight off the rotten leaves that crawled across it like leeches. These too knitted together, forming a boggy layer of skin. It was starting to look like-

“Is that me? IS THAT ME!? HEL-”
“Almost.”

It took a lurching step towards him and…

5d6+3 = 13 vs. 4d6 = 18 [Lady of Luck Triggered! 1 Momentum Lost!]

Fell face first into the water. Ulanov gasped and you wrestled silently for control, picking through the tangled stands of probability for the moment where

5d6+2 = 21 vs. 4d6 = 18 [No Momentum Gained!]

It rose again, its gasp mirroring the genuine article. Its back gaped open, waiting for the piece de resistance. “It's you, Ulanov. A pile of garbage with brittle bones… and a rat's heart!” You drew a rat from the sewer wall and plunged it into the cavity, feeling it stiffen and soften and warp as you released it. When you drew your hand away, the golem was him - and he screamed. Both of them.

And then - with another casual flick, he was gone, sent up the pipe the real one had come down, to emerge spotless and clueless up above. He certainty wouldn't have any more of those power bars, he thought. You know he thought that because you told him to.

The real Ulanov was sweating now, though it was tough to tell with how sodden he was. “I say again. You've taken something from me. I want it back.” He met your gaze with an unexpected fierceness, and you braced yourself.

5d4+2 = 13 vs. 3d6 = 7 [Under Suppression!]

The struggle was brief and very strange. You felt his pressure against your will, but it was less a wall of iron and more of… molasses? Your power dragged through his, held back and down by a sort of metaphysical depression. Against defenseless humans, he would be impossible to resist - a grinding slug of a power that would make speaking against him an affair of mind-numbing boredom and confusion. Unluckily for him, you were all but defenseless.

He knew it, too. His gaze drifted off yours and he slumped against the wall, too filthy to care. “Go on then - what have I taken from you, you golden eyed bitch? I was given my gift freely, so go find those bastards instead.”
“Too bad. I've got your here right now, so they'll have to wait their turn. So: will you give unto me what is mine freely, or do I have to be more... persuasive?”
“gently caress you. They'll find me first, they need me. They're probably coming right now - because otherwise I'm blowing this whole story up in their faces.”

Well. You gave him a chance.

    1A. Turn Him Into A Hat Or Something! [Difficulty 4?, Momentum +0]
    You could care less about whatever piddly hold Manos seemed to have on him. Wave your hand and turn him into something trivial that his doppelganger could wear. Keep him conscious and all that, naturally, but out of your way. Drain his powers while you're at it.
    1B. Talk To Him!
    He was cowed, if not totally beaten. He might be more amenable to chatting now. (Question time! Questions only get answered if this one wins, mind you)
    1C. Kill Him. [Difficulty 2?, Momentum -2]
    Even with his power, he won't be able to prevent you from just braining him with a pipe. You can probably just drain him afterwards, you think.
    1D. Let Him Go! [Difficulty 1?, Momentum -3]
    It made your teeth itchy to think of letting him leave, but it made a strange sort of sense. Two bank managers, running around up there? Manos would have to act to nip that in the bud. And then you could strike - or watch and laugh as they wasted resources.
    1E. Drain Him, Leave Him. [Difficulty 4?, Momentum +0]
    Take his powers and leave him down here. That may… not be so good for his health? He'll be exhausted, if not unconscious, and it's pretty gross down here. On the other hand, who gave a poo poo about this guy?
    1F. Something Else!
    You had a better idea in mind...

---
ABILITIES
    Nisa
    Never Ever Give Up: Do anything - as long as the dice are with you. [PASSIVE]
    Lady Of Luck: When active and Momentum is >0, reroll a failed roll and consume one Momentum. [ACTIVE]
    Chance
    Never Ever Give Up: Do anything - as long as the dice are with you. [PASSIVE]
    Dealer’s Choice: Chance gains +1 to roll when he uses his powers to grant support to you or Kelly. [PASSIVE]
    Kelly-Anne
    KARN’s Wrath: In melee combat, KARN rolls 4d6o6! against physical attacks - on both attack and defense. [PASSIVE]

nothing to seehere
Nov 11, 2010


Given his power is turning our d6's into d4s, we have a 84% of succeeding in another diffculty 4 check with lady of luck. So, given that, 1E

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005




1A gently caress this guy.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug


E then C

He was a terrible garbage person before. Now he can at least be a pleasant garbage person for the rest of his garbage life. Strip the power, drain his knowledge and then kill him for the rats. The fake version can suddenly have a "stroke" and wake up with no knowledge, a sudden positive change i personality and a desire to make amends to his family.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.



Harsh!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Toilet Rascal

1B

"It is tempting just to take it from you and to slowly dissolve you into the garbage with a rat for a heart you just saw us make you out of. But I am feeling generous, magnanimous and forgiving. For now, provided you mind your tongue from here on in. Tell me your story, how you got mired in with Them, and given a blessing which was not theirs to give. I can let you live and be happy, Ulanov Astemovich, if you give me truthful incentive to do so. What they gave you was but the merest fraction of my power, all of which is gathered here to be reunited. So, talk, or be silent. I will react accordingly."

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

"A grudge over food is deeper than the ocean."

1E be done with this guy.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014


A, but somehting his doubleganger can eat. He'll stay concious untill he's poo poo out.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




Arkanomen posted:

E then C

He was a terrible garbage person before. Now he can at least be a pleasant garbage person for the rest of his garbage life. Strip the power, drain his knowledge and then kill him for the rats. The fake version can suddenly have a "stroke" and wake up with no knowledge, a sudden positive change i personality and a desire to make amends to his family.

You're all right.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Yeah Ark sounds good. He's a garbage person and you can't fix broken.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Toilet Rascal

How about Alter Causality so that he was only ever a succession of garbage puppets loyal only to us?

Simply killing him has no style and serves no purpose. Rendering it so he was never truly alive in the first place? That's something we haven't done yet.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

AJ_Impy posted:

How about Alter Causality so that he was only ever a succession of garbage puppets loyal only to us?

Simply killing him has no style and serves no purpose. Rendering it so he was never truly alive in the first place? That's something we haven't done yet.

Our last foray into time travel ended so well I can't see how this could possibly go wrong. I like the overall Keikakuness of this idea. Supported.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


AJ_Impy posted:

How about Alter Causality so that he was only ever a succession of garbage puppets loyal only to us?

Simply killing him has no style and serves no purpose. Rendering it so he was never truly alive in the first place? That's something we haven't done yet.

That's entering Difficulty 6-7 territory, and you'll still be hitting his Suppression. It's still possible to do, though! Go for it! It'll work this time!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Then you remember. You have a message to send.

Something everyone must know.

You have the power. You have the means.

Let it be known.




1A

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.



You stepped towards him, feet striking the surface of the water and banishing the floating muck of humanity with your flawless pedicure. He panicked, turning to run but unable to power his stubby legs through the water. He wasn't going anywhere, and the world would never miss him. Couldn't, in fact, because as far as they knew he would still be in it. You walked at a constant pace, but every step halved the distance between you. He stumbled and you caught him by the shoulder, lifting him out as though he were a wooden doll. He writhed in your grip, but you ignored him. You peered through him, sighting the half tangible pearl of your power nestled in his chakras. You slapped him to shut him up, then plucked at it.

5d4+2 = 12 vs. 4d6 = 15 [Lady of Luck Triggered! 1 Momentum Lost!]

Your vision blurred for a moment, a faulty causality cast away, but then you saw it again - the bright silver shape of power at once shrinking from you and longing for you. You held him tighter, ignoring his jerking motions, and drew your hand back for a precise strike-

5d4+1 = 10 vs. 4d6 = 15 [Momentum Lost!]

Only to find yourself reeling in pain (pain!?) at the shard of glass jammed into your ribs. He hit you another few times and then you were both falling, splashing into the gunk. His damned talent had held you back enough that he'd pulled a fast one on you. You roared, the force of it pushing the water up and around the curvature of the tunnel, where invisible fields held it away from you. Too late. You'd been sullied. Touched the filth of this world because this tiny worm had dared to resist you.

Speaking of which… where was he? You bit back your rage and listened. There! He was making a run for it, probably hoping he'd be able to call out for help. Any hidden communication devices would probably have been spotted earlier - or at least shorted out by the water - but then who knew how insidious his damned talent was? You needed to find him and catch him - fast.
    1A. Hunt Him! [Difficulty 1?, Momentum -3]
    The fancier you get, the more he slips through the cracks. Fine. You'd just find him and beat him the old fashioned way.
    1B. Electrocute The Water! [Difficulty 3?, Momentum -1]
    Reach out into the ever-so-helpful ions of hydrogen and oxygen and assorted other elements and pump a big enough charge through em’ to fry the bastard. This might have some effects up above, but it'll get the job done!
    1C. Hidden Strike. [Difficulty 4, Momentum +0]
    It seems like he can only suppress what he sees coming. Track him and execute him when he calms down enough to lower his guard.
    1D. Bring The City Down On Him! [Difficulty 6?, Momentum +2]
    You could feel the weight of the city pushing against the concrete, vectors cancelled out through careful engineering. Scramble them, pushing here and pulling there, and drop the city on him. It'll make draining your power from the pile of mush that was Ulanov slightly tougher, and you're liable to draw attention, but it'll solve this little problem pretty quickly.
    1E. Call For Backup!
    Chance and Kelly are standing by on the surface, and Kelly in particular is chomping at the bit to have something to do. Let them at 'im.
    1F. Something Else!
    You had a better idea in mind...

---
ABILITIES
    Nisa
    Never Ever Give Up: Do anything - as long as the dice are with you. [PASSIVE]
    Lady Of Luck: When active and Momentum is >0, reroll a failed roll and consume one Momentum. [ACTIVE]
    Chance
    Never Ever Give Up: Do anything - as long as the dice are with you. [PASSIVE]
    Dealer’s Choice: Chance gains +1 to roll when he uses his powers to grant support to you or Kelly. [PASSIVE]
    Kelly-Anne
    KARN’s Wrath: In melee combat, KARN rolls 4d6o6! against physical attacks - on both attack and defense. [PASSIVE]

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


Long delay and short update, sorry! Friday is the deadline for the draft of my Master's, so I'm a little scattered. Hopefully by mid July I'll be updating significantly faster!

nothing to seehere
Nov 11, 2010


Typical, get the 16% failure. 1E Get Kelly to block his escape while we chase him from behind to keep the pressure up.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


His power is passive, not active. It won't work if he's not working against something. Maybe?

Turn the sewers into a gargantuan maze, every turn more bewildering than the last. Eventually he'll be begging us for help.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


Outrail posted:

His power is passive, not active. It won't work if he's not working against something. Maybe?

Turn the sewers into a gargantuan maze, every turn more bewildering than the last. Eventually he'll be begging us for help.

I mean, given that the majority vote was to squeeze him empty like a tube of toothpaste and leave him to rot down here, he'd probably avoid your 'help' anyhow. The suggestion itself is pretty easy at Difficulty 3-4, however.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Well yeah, but then when he accepts our help out of desperation we take back the power... then treacherously betray that trust and squeeze the now mortal like a tube of toothpaste.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Toilet Rascal

Subvert his free will, have him come crawling back to us, grovelling like a beaten puppy and offering up our power.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


AJ_Impy posted:

Subvert his free will, have him come crawling back to us, grovelling like a beaten puppy and offering up our power.

Likely to trip his Suppression, but only Difficulty 3-4.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005




C

Can't stop what you can't see. Go Predator on his rear end.

Anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Lets play the floor is Lava. Also, grow some more limbs and run after him on the ceiling.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«27 »