Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Oof, last-reply-on-the-page update. Dang.

1B - Stop loving up. Seriously. Nisa is too big of a deal to gently caress up gracefully anymore. ... I can understand the impulse to apologize, but seeing as how the dolphin seems to be more worried about us than itself, I'd rather use the knowledge of our mistake as a cautionary tale for ourselves than apologizing for it as a salve for our conscience.

2D - Figure out a way to let Zoni know that someone other than Manos knows she exists, and that Nisa is down for a summit meeting. Being the ocean and having access to what Oracle knows, we can figure out some way to add a mutation to some common life form that does nothing until it runs into where Zoni is or was, and then leaves a message that is recognized as little as possible by anyone else (certainly not enough that it's a tell for anyone else), but speaks volumes to her. Speaking of which.

3C - obviously Nisa will have to pull that information from Oracle, and she might as well request a whatever-scopes-are-relevant-to-her security briefing while she's at it. I see no reason this has to be mutually exclusive with talking to anyone else, though.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
1D - Follow the sympathetic link between the dolphin and his pod. Give both groups a subtle desire to travel in the directions that will lead to them reuniting.

2D - There exist a reality in which Nisa rapidly expands her sea life to scour the oceans for the target, no doubt at huge cost to the ocean's ecosystem. Look in on that reality, see where Nisa found the target.

3E - Disassociate from human concerns. The last human concern is vengeance, and even that is secondary to simple safety. God doesn't need friends.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1C Being this powerful means never having hosed up in the first place.
I ride Bikes' 1D. Skip the hard work and exploit the result.
3E Write the news. What I will shall have happened.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Okay Ms. NEGU, I've finally caught up to you.

Step 1: Attempt to Save.

Step 2: Feel shame, for keeping Kelly-Anne around this long as your fragile human "pet." She deserves better.

Step 3: 1A - Follow Follow that Dolphin to apologize! Seriously. Apologize to it because - even if you reverse time, you'll still have stolen its memories in a parallel universe, (which it will know about anyway).

Step 4: 2D - Convert Whales and Dolphins Do 2B except focus EXCLUSIVELY on tapping into the minds of cetacean life in order to call out. With their built in sonar you'll find your target a lot faster than with other forms of life. This is why 1A is necessary. Gotta be nice to the smart animals! :buddy:

Step 5: 3B - Kelly Kall Out to Kelly and ask if she wants to be reinKARNated as something greater, by officially incorporating her into the greater goddess. She can always be released as her own entity later. If she declines, offer her an augmentation that allows her to regenerate her wounds and to absorb defeated foes' powers for the benefit of the team.

E: Step 6: Lastly, if she's on the fence ask Kelly if she'd like to be a whale:

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 29, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
So! I haven't forgot about this, but my new CYOA blew up ridiculously. Posting to ensure this doesn't go to archives just yet, hoping to get an update out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Dog Kisser posted:

So! I haven't forgot about this, but my new CYOA blew up ridiculously. Posting to ensure this doesn't go to archives just yet, hoping to get an update out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!

Hello I'm still interested in this story if you were wondering if anyone cared.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Toughy posted:

Hello I'm still interested in this story if you were wondering if anyone cared.

Me too!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Same also here! But if the spark is gone that is OK it happens

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

DK is still around, but his writing and drawing time have been eaten up by his other project, Break Down That Gate, which is about a band of goblins fighting and dying in a war to avenge their queen. Come join us there, NEGU will resume when that winds down.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

(Alright, time to try again - I really don’t want to give up on this, but that other CYOA has become a total beast! I’ll keep pushing with this one, though updates might be… widespread. Also, there was nearly no consensus with this last update, so I’m just going to pick a course of action that’s roughly in the middle and go with that to keep things moving.)

The aggression with which you'd handled the dolphin situation had been… regrettable, but you hadn't been expecting enlightenment to come from such an unlikely source. You'd pushed it too hard in your pursuit of knowledge and frightened it, but you didn't think you'd actually hurt it. You centered yourself again, once more wearing your fishy guise. You unhooked a few fatty tuna to drift off towards the direction it fled by way of apology, but you didn't have the time or inclination to do more. You filed away the “dolphins are and always have been transdimensional beings” into the vast filing system of your dispersed mind and kept going. Time enough for that later. Time enough for everything later, once Manos was dust

You spun up lattices of crystal water around you, mirror glinting and razor sharp. You had a bit of a tricky idea, and it required a bit of set up. You partitioned off a section of personality to take care of that while your Prime mind spent some time in thought. On a whim, you pinged the Chance-fish hanging out with you. A near-perfect simulacra of your subordinate, you were more interested in what was happening with the 'real’ one. After a moment, you felt his engrams click into place and gave him a moment longer to sort through his clone's memories. He wasn't used to this whole distributed consciousness thing, so you cut him some slack.

“So. We're still fish.”
“Yep.”
“Still no sign of her?”
“Nope. On the upside, it turns out dolphins are way cooler than I thought.”
“What?”
“Nevermind. How are you two doing up there?”

You felt him light up in excitement. “We're in Madrid, taking down a drug syndicate. I'll confess, it's only tangentially related to Manos, but Kelly got a whiff of them while chasing up other leads. I think she takes issue with drugs and trafficking, and that only worse when they booby-trapped her car.”
“You have a car?”
“The Karnmobile, and had. They rigged it to blow when she turned the key. Burned off all her skin and broke her ribs. It took her days to put herself back together, and she was pissed. More pissed that she lost the car. But she's been taking them down piece by piece ever since - non-lethally mostly, thank God, but there was this one guy…”

You let him talk, but you got the jist of it from his surface thoughts. They’d been working methodically through the list of Actives that Oracle had given them. Methodically, but not in any order that you could suss out. You skimmed his thoughts deeper as you listened distractedly - Kelly had picked them with a dartboard. You snorted bubbles, but Chance kept going.

“...think we're just about done here. We've gutted their operation, and the news has picked up on it. They have a name for her, you know. The call her Assaultina - she got that name in Rio. She hates it, a lot, but we move around so much there's not much sense in correcting them. Assaultina, vraiment. Ouache!”

You agreed, that sucked. You drew a picture of her costume from his memory. Red and bone white, tight against her figure in brutal, organic angles. Her lower face was revealed, flashing a cocky grin. She looked like she was in her element. Well, good. As long as they were doing their job, she could handle it however they decided. With amental sigh, you told him to go back to it. Your preparations were almost complete.

---
Your lattices had grown in complexity, forming a mirrored web of fractal panels of ice. You glanced into them and saw yourself reflected. Your reflections followed your motions a second afterwards, the secondary reflections a second after that, and so on in a disjointed series of visual echoes. And then, with each passing second, the images grew further and further out of sync. Some of them were describing actions you hadn’t taken yet. Actions you knew you wouldn’t take. Because you weren't bound to this slow marching line of causality. You could step sideways. In fact, you already had. In some other place, you'd already found your quarry. It was only a thin skein that separated you from your victory. You stretched out a pectoral fin and, with a razored spine, you sliced through.

5d6+3 = 21 vs. 5d6 = 27 [1 Momentum Lost! Lady of Luck Rerolls!]

The skein resisted, sending a shockwave through the water that killed half your fish. A necessary sacrifice. You were so close. You pushed harder. The shadows flickering in the mirror showed a face - her face! A thin, drawn face, with eyes so big and blue you felt like you could sink into them. Her lips parted and her long, long white hair swirled around her face. Then she vanished and you bubbled in frustration. AGAIN!

5d6+2 = 25 vs. 5d6 = 27 [Momentum Lost!]

Nothing.

And then, her face loomed close, one eye wide and enormous, the eye of a great abyssal beast, not human at all. NOT HUMAN AT ALL!

---
Your illusions shattered, your glamours stripped away, you hung limp in the water for a few uncounted instants, a broken brown girl in a vast, vast blue. You shuddered and focused your eyes on the deep. She was coming for you. Well, you weren’t without powers of your own. You contracted on yourself, forming a thick layer of ice and hanging still, waiting for her. You built a pressure within your prison, ready to explode at a moment’s notice. And then you scanned the infinite horizon for… whatever you were looking for.

You felt it before you saw it. A whale, a humpback, rising out of the darkness. Your eyes narrowed, then widened. It was getting bigger. Easily double the size of a regular whale, then quadruple. Its surface was quicksilver and light, streaked by fine silver lines. Hair? Impossibly long hair, outlining the shape of a great beast made of water. Deep, deep within, a shadow with blazing blue eyes.

You flexed your powers and found yourself held in place. Held! The water around you may as well have been concrete, for all you could stretch. And yet, the beast - Zoni, it must be - passed through it like it was flying. It rumbled a deep whale call that shook your teeth and belly, leaving you slightly nauseous. It was, unequivocally, a simply question.

“WHAT - DO - YOU - WANT”
    1A. Talk To Her [Difficulty 1 (4), Momentum -3]!
    Ask her questions, stall her, whatever you need to do so she doesn’t crush you.
    1B. Break Her Hold! [Difficulty 4 (16), Momentum +0]
    Don’t attack just yet, but breach her grip on you. Rude!
    1C. Assault Her! [Difficulty 5 (23), Momentum +1]
    Crack that glittering shell and pull her out!
    1D. Data Dump [Difficulty 5 (23), Momentum +1]
    She wants to know why you're here? Fine. Take everything!
    1E. Monster Fight [Difficulty 6 (22), Momentum +2]
    Become something even greater than the form she takes and do battle. This will be extremely noticeable from the surface, but who cares? No one is going to be sending a submarine down there to check on you.
    1F. Something Else! [Difficulty ???, Momentum ???]
    You have a better idea...
---
ABILITIES
    Nisa
    Never Ever Give Up: Do anything - as long as the dice are with you. [PASSIVE]
    Lady Of Luck: When active and Momentum is >0, reroll a failed roll and consume one Momentum. [ACTIVE]
    Lady Of Domination: Consume +1 Momentum to force an opponent to roll d4s. [ACTIVE]
    Chance
    Dealer’s Choice: Chance gains +1 to roll when he uses his powers to grant support to you or Kelly. [PASSIVE]
    Mixed Martial Artisans: Chance gains +2 to rolls for melee combat, acrobatics, and escape artistry.
    [PASSIVE]
    Kelly-Anne
    KARN’s Wrath: In melee combat, KARN rolls 4d6o6! against physical attacks - on both attack and defense. [PASSIVE]
    Mixed Martial Artisans: KARN gains +2 to rolls for melee combat, acrobatics, and escape artistry. [PASSIVE]
    ORACLE
    Forecast: In addition to Difficulty, learn the precise roll of a given action. Always applies to options given in the list, occasionally applies to suggested options. [PASSIVE]

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Oracle's forecast has spoken:

1E Monster Fight will be an easier challenge than a Direct Assault or a Data Dump, with more momentum to gain.

:derp::krakken::cthulhu::derp:
Release them krakens!

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Prince of Space posted:

Oracle's forecast has spoken:

1E Monster Fight

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

1B. I'd do 1A if it's not mutually exclusive; not because it's a guaranteed win but because I'm a drat magpie still down for a summit meeting. (Yes, I noticed the penalty, but we have no momentum so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

(Note: 1E has a 15% success rate because of how dice work, and even if we had the momentum to reroll it would be only around 28%. And we don't have it. USE the tools you have.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 15, 2018

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
^^^ Fine, since we're using cold dice logic instead of affection for monster battles, let's try and get some successes under our belt.
1E
1B

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Excuse me did I hear somebody say giant Kaiju battle?

The only thing that beats monster whales are Krakens, so please be to relEase it!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1D. Let's not go all hyperaggressive when we can just hypertalk.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

:same:

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

AJ_Impy posted:

Yes, this

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
1 D

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You resisted the urge to clamp your hands over your ears. It wouldn’t help - the sound was pounding through the water in your body, what good would your hands do? - and it would make you look weak. You weren’t, and you were desperately aware you couldn’t look it in front of her. She was one of the most powerful Actives still extant, and you weren’t going to half-rear end your first meeting. “Zoni. Zoni Faife.” Your words pulsed through the water with equal force and a powerful bass tone, matching her note for note. The Whale-Who-Was-Zoni reeled even as the figure inside it stiffened with an all-too-human shock.

“WHO-ARE-YOU”

You gritted your teeth against the assault of her voice and continued. “I’m Nisa. I’m no friend of Manos and-” The world around you turned to churning bubbles.

“MANOS! MANOS! HATED-CORRUPTERS! WORLD-STIRRING-LIFE-TWISTERS!” The whale slid through the water, faster than ought to have been possible for its bulk. Your powerful eyes detected the reason - it wasn’t displacing the water, it was replacing it. Or rather, the water forming its body was exchanged with new water as the figure within willed the shell forwards. Her eyes never left yours, even as the great body thrashed.

“Yes, they’re awful, and they’ve done this thing to you. I just need to know wh- actually, this will take too long. Hold on one second.” You held up a finger and the great head crooked like a dog’s. Can whales even do that?, you wondered, while simultaneously parcelling up a great load of data. Everything she’d need to know in a single place. Much easier - and less prone to misunderstanding - than talking. You released it, a fist-sized bubble of light passing through your icy shell towards her.

5d6 = 13 vs. 5d6 = 23 [Momentum Lost!]

“NO!” A lash of that tail and the information scattered like light refracting through a pond. Your prison crushed in on you and you coughed involuntarily. Through a crack in the ice, water began to trickle in. You weren’t afraid of drowning, but that wasn’t a good sign. “Alright! Alright! Listen to me, I’m not going to hurt you.” Probably. You’d cross that bridge when you got to it. “Manos is my enemy, precisely because they are corrupting the world. They’re… they’ve taken something from me, and I cannot forgive them.”

Zoni watched you, releasing the pressure a little bit. She looked wary, but not agressive. Again, you couldn’t let that fool you - if she was as strong as they said a battle between you could go either way, and dying was a real pain in the rear end. You wondered if she was ‘dolphin’ enough to see things the way they did. Only one way to find out.

(She looks ready to bolt or attack if you try anything fishy (ha). Be careful.)
    1A. Talk To Her [Difficulty 1, Momentum -3]!
    Ask her questions, stall her, whatever you need to do so she doesn’t crush you. Pick your questions carefully - Manos seems to be a hot button.
    1B. Mirror Her Form And Speech! [Difficulty 5 (22), Momentum +1]
    She presents as a whale. The why, you don’t know, but maybe if you mirror her with a similar form she’ll be more reasonable. Gently prod for information while swimming with her.
    1C. Pierce Her Shell [Difficulty 4 (15), Momentum +0]
    Fire a dozen supercavitating bullets through her shell at the body inside. She might be more pliable without that battle form.
    1D. Turn A Cubic Kilometer Of Water Into Air! [Difficulty 7 (20), Momentum +3]
    Don’t bother with this song and dance. Strip her of her element and deal with her afterwards.
    1E. Call Manos Support! [Difficulty 5 (14), Momentum +1]
    Call all Manos vessels or personel nearby to deal with this. Make it seem to her like Manos found you. Bash your enemies against one another and see what happens.
    1F. Ignore Your Responsibilities And Hang Out For A While! [Difficulty 1, Momentum -3]
    Slow all the way down and swim with her. She doesn’t seem overly hostile, and you’re really not in any particular rush. Chance and Kelly seem like they’re doing okay, Oracle hasn’t been made yet. Would it be so bad to pause your vengeance for a little bit?
    1G. Call One Of Your Allies For Help
    Who? How?
    1H. Something Else! [Difficulty ???, Momentum ???]
---
ABILITIES
    Nisa
    Lady Of Luck: When active and Momentum is >0, reroll a failed roll and consume one Momentum. [ACTIVE]
    Lady Of Domination: Consume +1 Momentum to force an opponent to roll d4s. [ACTIVE]
    Chance
    Dealer’s Choice: Chance gains +1 to roll when he uses his powers to grant support to you or Kelly. [PASSIVE]
    Mixed Martial Artisans: Chance gains +2 to rolls for melee combat, acrobatics, and escape artistry.
    [PASSIVE]
    Kelly-Anne
    KARN’s Wrath: In melee combat, KARN rolls 4d6o6! against physical attacks - on both attack and defense. [PASSIVE]
    Mixed Martial Artisans: KARN gains +2 to rolls for melee combat, acrobatics, and escape artistry. [PASSIVE]
    ORACLE
    Forecast: In addition to Difficulty, learn the precise roll of a given action. Always applies to options given in the list, occasionally applies to suggested options. [PASSIVE]

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
We can even the playing field with an environmental shift. Let's take her out of her element and show her we mean business.

1D - 30% chance of success.

Let's bond over the destruction of our hated enemies! We can release TWO krakens this way!

1E - Call Manos support (and then blow them up) - 85% chance of success

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Prince of Space posted:

We can even the playing field with an environmental shift. Let's take her out of her element and show her we mean business.

1D - 30% chance of success.

Let's bond over the destruction of our hated enemies! We can release TWO krakens this way!

1E - Call Manos support (and then blow them up) - 85% chance of success

Don't forget that you can suggest stuff too!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Tell the whale we are not Manos, we are all life and then morph through all the aquatic animals we can think of.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
1H: Gather up our infoburst and project it holographically into the water around us (making sure to prevent external eyes from perceiving it) to release it to the whale in a non-intrusive, non-threatening, spectacular manner.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Arkanomen posted:

Tell the whale we are not Manos, we are all life and then morph through all the aquatic animals we can think of.

sure

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Dog Kisser posted:

Don't forget that you can suggest stuff too!

How hard would it be to

1H Go back in time and make things right with that dolphin friend, before all this happened?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Prince of Space posted:

How hard would it be to

1H Go back in time and make things right with that dolphin friend, before all this happened?

Currently something like Difficulty 7-8 due to her grip on you, ordinarily Difficulty 6 or so.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

“Listen, I'm not Manos. I'm not with Manos - those guys are bastards, and I'm basically trying to save the world from them!” The water rumbled ominously and you held up your hands. You kept her eyes while you pressed your feet against the ice for leverage. You needed space for your next trick, and being stuck in the ice like this was cramping your style. “I'm not Manos, Zoni.” You spread your arms wide, a friendly smile on your face - and your ice prison bloomed like a rose, paper-thin sheets of it peeling off to circle the water around you. The Whale charged, it's watery mouth open wide and foaming with rage or terror.

5d6 = 22 vs. 5d6 = 13 [Momentum Lost!]

Her form was disrupted by a pulse of displaced water as you shifted to take an aspect of a great obsidian whale of size equal to her own. “I AM NOT MANOS!” You burst, dissociating into a school of rainbow tuna that churned through the water around her. The figure inside the Whale turned this way and that, her eyes wide in fear or wonder. The petals of ice followed you like a whirl of leaves, flashing scenes from your previous trials against the company that had stolen from you. You interspersed the 'footage’ with vivid cartoons of you stomping on their logo. Now you were a massive squid, tentacles waving in the current of your passage. Now you were a pair of seals, dancing around her. Now you were a spray of seaweed, raining down on her from above like maple seeds. “I AM LIFE ITSELF! I fight against them for perverting my power into something darker, something base and cheap when it should rightfully be mine.” Appropriately dramatic, and true in the important places. You coalesced from a dozen different species of sea life, a food chain devouring itself until your human form was birthed, glittering, from the entrails. You brushed a stray curl from your face and smiled, waiting for a response.

The Whale inverted, its face becoming its tail and vice versa, and - with a powerful slam of its tail that sent currents whirling around you - it powered away into deeper waters. The figure inside keened a wordless song as it went, stunning you momentarily as she fled. What the heck, lady?

1A. Chase Her! [Difficulty 4 (15), Momentum +0]!

She's fast! Hunt her down!

1B. Follow Her! [Difficulty 4 (15) , Momentum +0]

Follow her, but don't engage. See where she's going.

1C. Cripple Her [Difficulty 4 (11), Momentum +0]

Well, not 'cripple’ cripple. Slice off her tail or disrupt her form non-lethally.

1D. Destroy Her! [Difficulty 6 (22), Momentum +2]

You got a good look at her body - explode her heart in her chest.

1E. Leave Her! [Difficulty 1 (6), Momentum -3]

She's clearly harmless. Let her remain a peaceful ocean demigoddess - you have bigger fish to fry. Pun absolutely intended.

1F. Something Else! [Difficulty ???, Momentum ???]

---

ABILITIES

Nisa

Chance

[PASSIVE]

Kelly-Anne

ORACLE

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Become sound to reverse-engineer what she is saying.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

1B, maybe make us undetectable so we can regain some momentum?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Be everywhere around her. We don't need to chase or harry. We are her locality,and we can wait for her to calm down.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AJ_Impy posted:

Be everywhere around her. We don't need to chase or harry. We are her locality,and we can wait for her to calm down.

I'll back this up. Let's give her space but stay on her.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

1C

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
1F Chase her and drain her slowly of her powers.

(I'm aiming for difficulty 5 here)

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 9, 2018

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
1F REDO IT BUT BETTER

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

1F Decide to have always been where she is going, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Magnusth posted:

1F Decide to have always been where she is going, anyway.

This is extremely in the spirit of the game.

• Locked thread