Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

I understand the significance of Clark County in NV, but isn't it a fact that Republicans tend to wait until election day to vote? So isn't having a lead in early voters kind of expected for Hillary? I'm just trying to understand the correlation of how her lead means she is going to win the state.
That blogger explained it, but basically Trump would have to bring out more than 90% of GOP voters to vote for him as well as capture something like 30% of undecideds among remaining voters. It's basically an impossible hill to climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

ZeeToo posted:

This election has been so fun to watch. I remember back in 2012, when Romney was so confident and making his last-minute stumps in places like Pennsylvania and some (including me, though not vocally) were Arzying about it. Does he know something we don't?

Trump throws a rally in Minnesota and I just laugh. Here I'm pretty confident that, no, Trump does not have some insider data or masterplan I just don't get.

Wait Trump came to MN for a rally?

EDIT: Weird it's announced but not on his website.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Voted this morning in Indiana - took about an hour and the crowd looked pretty Trumpy. +1 for HRC and Evan Bayh, not that it matters.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

That blogger explained it, but basically Trump would have to bring out more than 90% of GOP voters to vote for him as well as capture something like 30% of undecideds among remaining voters. It's basically an impossible hill to climb.

Not capture 30% of undecided. Win the undecided vote by 30%. Ie he needs to win the vote 65-35.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

I'm not even sure we'll be seeing much of Rudy for the next couple days. He really hosed up in admitting that, uh, the FBI leaked investigation details to him and the campaign.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Deified Data posted:

Voted this morning in Indiana - took about an hour and the crowd looked pretty Trumpy. +1 for HRC and Evan Bayh, not that it matters.

Evan Bayh's still got a shot! I'm signed up to canvass for him Monday and Tuesday. Don't lose hope -- bring any Dem friends you have down to the polls!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Antti posted:

Ralston is the #1 expert on NV early voting and he's declared Trump DOA in Nevada. Without Nevada his paths are very narrow, and might include moonshot-poo poo like Minnesota. It was posted on the last page:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/794905326642302976

:bisonyes:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Bloops Crusts posted:

Evan Bayh's still got a shot! I'm signed up to canvass for him Monday and Tuesday. Don't lose hope -- bring any Dem friends you have down to the polls!

Ugh...I have a lot of respect for those of you stumping for Bayh. I hope he wins, because, you know, Dem majority and all that, but still. I'd have a hard time selling him.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

computer parts posted:

Cali will, NV probably will, AZ maybe, probably not, I doubt anything farther east will.

Actually the polls over the last ~2 months were showing that all of the measures in all 5 states would pass with anywhere from very very small to landslide margins. The closest race is in AZ where in mid October the polling was showing ~50% support, 40% against, and 10% undecided. A poll discussed on the radio just yesterday put the numbers at 48/47/5. Still a win for YES, but extremely close.

That shows also that apparently ~70% of undecideds broke in the last week for NO while 4% of the YES supporters actually switched back to undecided. Not a great trendline, but the numbers also show that up to election day the YES campaign only needs to grab at most 40% of the remaining undecideds to absolutely secure victory, assuming that everyone left actually votes, and I wouldn't think that would be particularly hard considering 40% of the remaining undecided voters on this subject were already recently supporting the measure.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'd be unable to sell Bayh to anyone who wasn't content with "he'll vote the right way" and those people are already voting for him.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

On the note of The Onion it is really quite sad that this joke from after the 2000 election is less outlandish now.

http://www.theonion.com/article/nation-plunges-into-chaos-187

quote:

Nation Plunges Into Chaos

WASHINGTON, DC–Presidential-election-related violence continued to spread across the nation Tuesday, with Day Seven of the battle for the White House claiming another 1,200 lives.

In Bush-controlled Tennessee, news of Gore's call for a sixth recount in the disputed territory of Florida sparked full-scale rioting, with Republican militiamen setting fire to Gore's heavily fortified Nashville compound. It is believed Gore running mate Joseph Lieberman was trapped in the blaze, though his whereabouts and status were unknown as of press time.

In Austin, Democrats continued to clash with armed Bush troops outside the Texas capitol. Inside, the Bush family waited for news on the welfare and whereabouts of Dick Cheney, who was carried off by a band of NARAL Reproductive-Freedom Fighters.

Washington sources reported via short-wave radio that the city is littered with burning and abandoned National Guard tanks. The last D.C. television transmissions, which were broadcast at 11:22 p.m. EST Monday, showed the drowned bodies of more than 200 Young Republicans in the National Mall's cyanide-laced reflecting pool. It is unknown whether the deaths are a mass suicide or the work of a Democratic guerrilla group operating out of the Gore-controlled territory of Maryland.
[...]

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Majorian posted:

I'm not even sure we'll be seeing much of Rudy for the next couple days. He really hosed up in admitting that, uh, the FBI leaked investigation details to him and the campaign.

But that seems like a non issue to the base. Granted, they really need college educated whites to come home

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Gorau posted:

Not capture 30% of undecided. Win the undecided vote by 30%. Ie he needs to win the vote 65-35.

So about triple the margin Romney unaffiliated voters with, and there's a chance a ton of those unaffiliated this year are new Latino voters.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Y'know who's awesome? Joy Reid.

https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/794937708489637888

lovely Green Party Prez Candidate posted:

#AMJoy is the height of corrupt cronyism in media. Partisan @JoyAnnReid has lied repeatedly about our campaign & refused to run corrections.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Are those early voting ballots being counted (and results published) already, or are they just exit polls?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

uXs posted:

Are those early voting ballots being counted (and results published) already, or are they just exit polls?

The latter, plus also at least some states have official tallies of party registration of early voters, just not actual vote counting

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

But that seems like a non issue to the base. Granted, they really need college educated whites to come home

Well, yeah, and having Rudy out there when he's admitted to being involved in something so blatantly illegal probably wouldn't be too conducive to that.

I really hope he goes to jail. I'm not holding my breath, but boy, that would make this election cycle perfect.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Updated Nevada early voting numbers suggest that it's a lock for Hillary:

quote:

----The Democrats won Clark County by more than 11,000 votes Friday (final mail count not posted yet), a record margin on a record-setting turnout day of 57,000 voters. The Dems now have a firewall -- approaching 73,000 ballots -- greater than 2012 when Barack Obama won the state by nearly 7 points. The 71,000 of 2012 was slightly higher in percentage terms, but raw votes matter. The lead is 14 percentage points -- right at registration. You know what else matters? Registration advantages (142,000 in Clark). Reminder: When the Clark votes were counted from early/mail voting in 2012, Obama had a 69,000 vote lead in Clark County. Game over.

----The statewide lead (some rurals not posted) will be above 45,000 -- slightly under the 48,000 of 2012, but still robust. That's 6 percentage points, or right about at registration. The GOP turnout advantage was under a percent, worse than 2012 when it was 1.1 percent.

----The Dems eked out a 200-vote win in Washoe and lead there by 1,000 votes. It was even in 2012. The rural lead, before the stragglers come in, is 27,500. It probably will get above 28,000.

----Total turnout without those rurals: 768,000, or 52.5 percent. If overall turnout ends up being 80 percent, that means two thirds of the vote is in -- close to 2012. Republicans would have to not only win Election Day by close to double digits to turn around the lead Hillary Clinton almost surely has in early voting, but they would have to astronomically boost turnout. The goal for the Dems during early voting was to bank votes and to boost turnout as high as possible to minimize the number of votes left on Election Day to affect races. Folks, the Reid Machine went out with a bang.

As an exclamation point to a historic night in Nevada, in which Clinton essentially locked up the state and Hispanics, insulted all cycle by Trump, streamed into the market, here is what the final Cardenas numbers showed (tallied by an on-the-ground activist):

1,904 voted
1,258: Ds, 66%
165: Rs, 9%
481: NPs, 25%

So Cardenas was responsible for adding 1,000 to the Democratic lead.

Trump has almost no path to the presidency without Nevada. He can say whatever he wants in Reno on Saturday and boost rural turnout a lot, but he made his own bed when he announced his candidacy.

I'll dive deeper into the numbers later to show just how deep the wave could be Tuesday.
http://www.ktnv.com/news/ralston/the-nevada-early-voting-blog

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Any enterprising statisticians doing any conversion rate analysis of Nevada's voters (registrations which have converted to early votes) and comparing that to other states with similar support?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

berserker posted:

Actually the polls over the last ~2 months were showing that all of the measures in all 5 states would pass with anywhere from very very small to landslide margins. The closest race is in AZ where in mid October the polling was showing ~50% support, 40% against, and 10% undecided. A poll discussed on the radio just yesterday put the numbers at 48/47/5. Still a win for YES, but extremely close.

That shows also that apparently ~70% of undecideds broke in the last week for NO while 4% of the YES supporters actually switched back to undecided. Not a great trendline, but the numbers also show that up to election day the YES campaign only needs to grab at most 40% of the remaining undecideds to absolutely secure victory, assuming that everyone left actually votes, and I wouldn't think that would be particularly hard considering 40% of the remaining undecided voters on this subject were already recently supporting the measure.

Didn't AZ's get yanked from the ballot by a judge declaring some signatures getting it on there invalid or something?

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Voted by mail for the first time today and it was awesome. In Chicago we have to pick like 400 individual judges and I don't know anything about any of them. Being able to leisurely Google for bios as well as understand what the confusingly-worded amendments were asking for was a small revelation, too.

Chicago doesn't have a strong Republican presence so I wouldn't have had to worry about dirty tricks and voter intimidation, but it was still nice to avoid lines.

Unrelated: part of me hopes Nate Silver's gloomy prognosticating is intended to get Democrats to actually vote. As impartial as he insists he is, I can't imagine he'd want Trump to win. I mean I doubt this is the case but please dear Jesus be true.

Mandals fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 5, 2016

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

NV looking like a lock but is FLA still up in the air?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

rscott posted:

Amazed the HRC campaign hasn't hired out a bunch of taco trucks decked out in Hillary Clinton ads and parked them a legal distance away from the polling stations to hand out free tacos to people who voted

Welp

https://twitter.com/JMBorchardt/status/794943762636165120

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Dork457 posted:

NV looking like a lock but is FLA still up in the air?

I'm also interested in this. Is there a twitter account or anything regarding florida's early voting and polling and stuff?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chelb posted:

I'm also interested in this. Is there a twitter account or anything regarding florida's early voting and polling and stuff?

https://twitter.com/steveschale?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

steve schale is pretty good! Think he was Obama's FL guy in the past, posts a bunch about FL EV right now.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Didn't AZ's get yanked from the ballot by a judge declaring some signatures getting it on there invalid or something?

No. There was a competing ballot initiative, 203, that didn't get enough signatures to get on the ballot, period. Some people who were a part of that campaign got tremendously butthurt because 205 is somewhat more restrictive than 203 would have been and so have actually been campaigning against 205. A majority of the 13+ pages of "against" opinions in the ballot information packet were submitted by them. They're basically acting like children, considering what the real consequences for people would be if 205 does not pass.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Chelb posted:

Steve Schale, a Dem strategist in Florida, has a few things up:

https://twitter.com/steveschale/status/794891734664839169

e: Son of a bitch, beaten on Steve Schale!!!:argh:

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

I know Michigan's did, but I didn't hear that about AZ

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/medical-cannabis-act-removed-from-ar-ballot

Looks like I was thinking of AR, not AZ, whoops! :v:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

On Thursday I tried to submit my absentee letter so that I could vote early, and I arrived at the Town Council Building 15 minutes after the final deadline! :livintrope:

On a separate note is it too close to call for Hilary to get Arizona?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 5, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FadedReality posted:

I just saw this posted this morning. Dunno how reputable UNF Public Opinion Research Lab is, but they say 73% support for Amendment 2 from their polling.

We had a majority vote in favor of medical in 2014 with 58%, but thanks to JEB! our Amendments have to hit 60% to pass.

JEB!'s 2006 amendment to make any further amendment require 60% to pass itself passed with 58% support. :shepicide:

e: beaten

Wow, that poll is far more optimistic than I expected. The current initiative is more limited in medical scope than the last one, but even so there are vast numbers of Floridians who will benefit from medical marijuana.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Periodiko posted:

That's such a good point I hadn't even considered. Trump has no former Republican Presidents, all of his primary rivals hate his guts and are only working with him reluctantly except Chris Christie, who can't appear in public because of Bridgegate. Swing state congresscreatures are trying to walk a tight rope of not appearing too close to him. He has no surrogates. What a mess.

Or, as you could say, :sad:.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

TheScott2K posted:

Seriously, this poo poo isn't just forum arguments and awkward Thanksgivings for the people Trump's been talking about this whole time. A lot of people who aren't part of marginalized groups tend to lose sight of that really easily.

When you're a minority, you often see democracy as something that is done to you.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hollybdc/status/794960998079852544

:psyduck:

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
The Deplorables are really going hard on the FBI story, desperately running around insisting that Giuliani did nothing wrong and at worst he mispoke and now ay could any FBI agent have done anything wrong and anyway Hillary's the real story.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Hey might as well, if he can flip Minnesota he'd be flipping every other blue state in the nation for the yugest win ever, right? It fits the Trump psyche.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Maxwell Lord posted:

Just to note- on the one hand early in-person voting (as opposed to absentee ballots) favors Democrats, so the numbers may not reflect the state as a whole, but it also means people are voting that may not have had early voting not been available and that again will be to HRC's benefit. So fingers crossed.

Nevada Democrats aren't crossing over to vote for a Republican.

The only number that matters is Clark County, as even if the entire state turned out 100% (which never happens) and voted against Hillary, they still won't make up for Clark County voters for Hillary.

It's not even close in Nevada.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The word from the Trump's camp is that, while they still want to / hope to win, their goal is to get more EV than Romney.

E: and Ingraham takes the bait:

https://twitter.com/IngrahamAngle/status/794951345627430912

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Trump posted his map.

https://twitter.com/realKentron/status/794948260830085120

That is probably the only feasible path to victory, although it's still quite a longshot.

Edit: It still gives no explanation whatsoever on why he'd be going to Minnesota and not, say, Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I just got door knocked by the Iowa Democratic party. :3:

The GOTV machine is strong, even in small town rural Iowa. I gave them a couple gatorades and wished them luck.

• Locked thread