Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fruit on the bottom posted:

They have GOG.com. Even though it's not nearly as big as Steam I'm sure it helps when you have your own delivery platform.

And the fact that they are THE gaming company in Poland certainly helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Kotor2 was an ambitious mess and while it was fun and good, lol at everyone trying to defend it by pointing out the fan patch that came out a decade later to finish the game.

Mass Effect Andromeda is a critically underrated timeless classic with an amazing plot, extensive base building and dozens of worlds to explore along with 600 hours of dialogue. Uh, that's with a 500 GB fan patch though.

-Someone in 20 years time on this forum, maybe

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

DancingShade posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda is a critically underrated timeless classic with an amazing plot, extensive base building and dozens of worlds to explore along with 600 hours of dialogue. Uh, that's with a 500 GB fan patch though.

lol this is such a bad post

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

They have GOG.com. Even though it's not nearly as big as Steam I'm sure it helps when you have your own delivery platform.

Gog.com is (unfortunately) chump change for them. They're a large games distributer and publisher in Eastern/Central Europe. Although their dev work probably eclipses that business at this point.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

lol this is such a bad post

Once you imagine all the hissy fit mod author drama and infighting during such an endeavour you'll see the value in it.
(not to play the game obviously gawd)

Oh wait this is Frostbite isn't it? Guess it's going to suck for all time then :toot:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
The story of video games has proven time and time over that just because an engine isn't opened for modding doesn't mean you can't mod it. There are mods for DAO, for instance, or XCOM1 or KotOR2 we literally just talked about. Some people are shitposting a bit itt.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CD Projeckt making Alpha Protocol 2 would be the best.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
witcher 3 is pretty cool IMO

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

hard counter posted:

i've read neither the novel nor played kotor 2 but if kotor 2 was such a drastic thematic 'from my point of view the jedi are evil' shift then other materials retconning it makes sense, especially if bioware was left to try and make something coherent out of a project that had a different outsider vision from their own

In KoToR2, they didn't make the Jedi evil or the Sith good, they just acknowledged you can commit atrocities in the name of the greater good or commit acts of evil for all the right reasons, basically adding a small element of grey to the otherwise black and white universe of Star Wars.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It's simple, we kill the Force.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Furism posted:

The story of video games has proven time and time over that just because an engine isn't opened for modding doesn't mean you can't mod it. There are mods for DAO, for instance, or XCOM1 or KotOR2 we literally just talked about. Some people are shitposting a bit itt.

Frostbite is a special case of hell. That being said, you also need a dedicated super-nerd to fix everything that's wrong without making things worse.
See: the Unofficial Patch for Bloodlines.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Could be. Who knows?

Back Hack posted:

In KoToR2, they didn't make the Jedi evil or the Sith good, they just acknowledged you can commit atrocities in the name of the greater good or commit acts of evil for all the right reasons, basically adding a small element of grey to the otherwise black and white universe of Star Wars.

Stop it. You're being reasonable.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Alchenar posted:

CD Projeckt making Alpha Protocol 2 would be the best.

A dialogue driven spy rpg is such a cool idea.

I still like Alpha protocol

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eastbound Spider posted:

I'd suggest Tell Tale but then you'd have "Conrad will remember that :argh:" and then he'd die in the next scene no matter what.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I wonder how the Mass Effect Series being on hold will affect that movie that they mentioned years ago and hoped everyone would forget they announced

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

it's my understanding that splitting the rights on comic book movies led to legendary and warner studios parting ways in 2013 and mass effect was going to be a joint venture between them due to the way the production/distribution rights were optioned between them, it's been stuck in development hell since 2008 and seems to be dead in the water since the one film those studios are doing together isn't a mass effect

fans still holding out for a movie were literally counting on andromeda to revive interest and prove the franchise's marketability

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well at least we can all thank Andromeda for also killing the Mass Effect movie.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Eastbound Spider posted:

Remember what I said before about Obsidian being the most inconsistent dev? Alpha Protocol is the perfect example. The things that work really work; I don't think I've seen a game since that is as reactive from a narrative standpoint.

On the other hand, the things that don't work… really don't work, and so a lot of the really neat stuff is buried in a game that a lot of people didn't bother playing through to find.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Furism posted:

Obsidian is the best.

Their only problem is their games are always too ambitious. They try to cram all their good ideas but always end up having to rush the end of development because the publisher tells them they have to release NOW. Always had a fondness for them because they have good ideas and they really try their best until the evil publisher comes along.

I'm not stupid ; I realize they should know better and not do that, but I can't hold anything against a company that does it best to make the best possible games and always gives it an honest try. Also, they are the last independent developer and that must count for something.

Yes, I'm kind of an Obsidian fanboy.

Dungeon Siege 3 is a goddamn mess.

Still finished it though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Dungeon Siege 3 had maybe the least bad combat system of any Obsidian game I've played. It was even pretty entertaining, especially on higher difficulties. The story though, who remembers any of it except JAYNE KASSINDER.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 had maybe the least bad combat system of any Obsidian game I've played. It was even pretty entertaining, especially on higher difficulties. The story though, who remembers any of it except JAYNE KASSINDER.

I remember giving the goth lady the house and letting all the bad guys go whenever possible but that's really it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Not sure if anyone posted this a couple months back or not. I just came across it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlK0-l5ZvNs

This guy works for EA, has a YouTube channel and basically tears ME:A apart.

Beating a dead horse sure but he's entertaining IMO.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Remember what I said before about Obsidian being the most inconsistent dev? Alpha Protocol is the perfect example. The things that work really work; I don't think I've seen a game since that is as reactive from a narrative standpoint.

On the other hand, the things that don't work… really don't work, and so a lot of the really neat stuff is buried in a game that a lot of people didn't bother playing through to find.

The game had some real quality dark side banter that was Archer before Archer.

"I'm going out on a mission. Don't touch my stuff."

"I hope you get shot."

"Bitch"

"rear end in a top hat"

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

DancingShade posted:

Not sure if anyone posted this a couple months back or not. I just came across it.

Its 4 hours long you gonna give us some high light here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

He's really really angry that you can't choose a pure white skintone.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BexGu posted:

Its 4 hours long you gonna give us some high light here.

It's all good from the start my fellow goon.

I think some of the EA comments are roughly around the 20+ minute mark but I wasn't paying attention to the timer. It's during the early into anyway.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

He's really really angry that you can't choose a pure white skintone.

same

but because im a skeleton

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Thundercracker posted:

The game had some real quality dark side banter that was Archer before Archer.

"I'm going out on a mission. Don't touch my stuff."

"I hope you get shot."

"Bitch"

"rear end in a top hat"

I looked up the timing, because I was sure Archer was first. It was, but not by nearly as much as I thought: Archer first aired in March 2010, Alpha Protocol dropped in May.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

DancingShade posted:

lmao, hes on the verge of tears because the skin tone is tan

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
i can already imagine the amount of quiet rage from women & minorities if this fuccboy is in any position of authority at ea as he speaks his bro politic rhetoric at meetings and they have to sit there and listen to him

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DancingShade posted:

so uh, is there something after the dude has an emotional breakdown because a character in dragon age had her tits reduced and now he can't make a 100% white looking character because so far this guy seems like an idiot

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 27, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
scrolling up to the end he seems to spend a good five minutes angrily staring at the class screen as if he doesn't understand what numbers do so I'm gonna assume the filling of this dude's sandwich isn't of any worth either.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I finished the game last night,

I liked the idea of the story but it had some issues with the execution. Obviously there's some giant missing holes in the story about the Kett and the Scourge but that's supposed to leave it open for ME:A2, ME:A3 basically.

I get why people are bitching, they wanted the game to be better than ME2 & ME3 delivered but honestly, it was fun to play and I enjoyed it.

Something I didn't like: I wish they had a better weapon test system, like a target range or something. My very last mission, since I had the weight because I invested in those weight reduction combat points since my level was high enough outside of biotic, I brought along a hesh shotgun, first time using it.

Ended up using it the entire time and wondering why I didn't try it earlier.. Had an absolute blast with it, Semi-auto 13 clip powerhouse shotgun.. charge/nova/annihilation floats them and SHOTGUN FINISH!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Imagine being such a garbage person that you can't dunk on Andromeda

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I get why people are bitching, they wanted the game to be better than ME2 & ME3 delivered but honestly, it was fun to play and I enjoyed it.

The problem is people wanted Bioware to deliver what was promised on the box.

Exploring new worlds? You're months late for that.

First Contact with new races? We brought our own Citadel, and the locals have already met the people we Exiled.

Exploring alien ruins? Well they're all intact and fully active. You think maybe we should examine these neat artificial and self-contained biomes with alien plants? No? We're just gonna push the button and run, never coming back to any of these facilities again? Okay, I guess... :effort:. What about the bigass mostly-intact ship crashed on a planet? We're just gonna run through it, deal with the stolen power core and never ever go back to explore it properly? Okay, alright... :sigh:.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I think it's just the paradox of expectations. I wouldn't have bought the game if it wasn't named Mass Effect, but I also wouldn't have cared if it was a mediocre failure if it wasn't Mass Effect.

Story aside the gameplay, set pieces, and visuals took a huge step back from even Mass Effect 2, which is a shocking self-own.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

First Contact with new races? We brought our own Citadel, and the locals have already met the people we Exiled.

Exploring alien ruins? Well they're all intact and fully active. You think maybe we should examine these neat artificial and self-contained biomes with alien plants? No? We're just gonna push the button and run, never coming back to any of these facilities again? Okay, I guess... :effort:. What about the bigass mostly-intact ship crashed on a planet? We're just gonna run through it, deal with the stolen power core and never ever go back to explore it properly? Okay, alright... :sigh:.

What would have been cool is if ME:A was really like Planet of the Apes, and it turns out that the Arcs went back and this is what's left of the Milky Way. They could even find the Citadel at the end. Too bad aping Planet of the Apes was too difficult for Bioware

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yea I'd argue the first 2 points can be more fluid but boy was I bummed to see that the total extent we gently caress around with this cool mysterious machine ruin bullshit is 'find glowies to hit, jump some platforms, shoot some robots, run from the big ol smoke thing that did look really cool the first time you did it but became just kinda meh the fifth'.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
MEA is an inexcusable piece of poo poo that killed the franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Moola posted:

MEA is an inexcusable piece of poo poo that killed the franchise

Stop trying to make me like Andromeda.