Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Then again everyone thought that in asoiaf dark star was a parody. When it was brought up to GRRM he was confused and thought darkstar was a badass.

Thane specifically calls Leng out as a wannabe.

I'd put down cash that part of the writing team was thinking "Oh, man. Kai Leng is going to be so cool and badass and the player's going to be all 'Whoa. This guy's cool. How am I going to beat him?", and the rest being "This is a joke, right?"

You see it reasonably frequently in writing projects with more than one person involved, with mainstream comic books being an especially relevant case study. You frequently see characters built up to be badasses in their own book show up somewhere else just so the writer of the other title can take a dump on them, or build up their pet character at the other guy's expense. Garth Ennis provides some of the most obvious examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kai Leng would have been fine if he didn't look so loving stupid.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Then again everyone thought that in asoiaf dark star was a parody. When it was brought up to GRRM he was confused and thought darkstar was a badass.

I don't remember this character, even after looking it up.

Hmm, maybe the books are getting bad

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Kai Leng would have been fine if he didn't look so loving stupid.

Also, after two games of saving the universe, killing two machine deities, a single augmented human is one of the least threatening options they couldve chosen.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nasgate posted:

Also, after two games of saving the universe, killing two machine deities, a single augmented human is one of the least threatening options they couldve chosen.

One idea I always had was to steal what they did in Citadel and make it TIM making another Shepard clone that actually follows his orders, but that might also be stupid.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feels Villeneuve posted:

One idea I always had was to steal what they did in Citadel and make it TIM making another Shepard clone that actually follows his orders, but that might also be stupid.

I...should go?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like it, but I think how it should go with that is the clone Shepard being the opposite alignment of your own. Playing Paragon? CloneShep's slaughtering their way through civilians to get you. Renegade? They're methodical and careful in their approach to stopping you.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It worked in Citadel but I don't think it would've worked so well in the core story.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like it, but I think how it should go with that is the clone Shepard being the opposite alignment of your own. Playing Paragon? CloneShep's slaughtering their way through civilians to get you. Renegade? They're methodical and careful in their approach to stopping you.

Neutral and they just stop for a light hearted chat with each other.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For anyone curious: game not great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

Neutral and they just stop for a light hearted chat with each other.

"I have no strong feelings one way or the other."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

See all of my posts for someone to agree with you at length.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It has its moments, it has some okay ideas, it can be quite pretty, but all that's sunk in a clunky, unpolished sea of dull derivative pap. And it very much feels less than the sum of its parts; every element is considerably flawed. Pity, because every (not) so often it manages to elicit nostalgic feelings of Mass Effect, and I don't mean just when it's a pale imitation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's okay as brain-unwinding "fill out the world map" entertainment for burning time, if you're in need of that sort of thing for some reason.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rinkles posted:

It's okay as brain-unwinding "fill out the world map" entertainment for burning time, if you're in need of that sort of thing for some reason.

I think your brain has been broken by Andromeda.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I think your brain has been broken by Andromeda.

It was already broken.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rinkles posted:

It was already broken.

IT's beyond repair now

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Is pillars of eternity any good? I see it's available for the bonx now.

I liked POE's gameplay, but the last half of the game feels like it was rushed, particularly as the game starts telling you how your character feels and getting angry at you for choosing options other than the ones you apparently promised to take before you got control over the character.

Tyranny has the same combat system more or less, with fixes, and a much better story.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If your main complaint about Pillars is that its last couple acts felt rushed, then I don't think you can really recommend Tyranny...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rinkles posted:

It has its moments, it has some okay ideas, it can be quite pretty, but all that's sunk in a clunky, unpolished sea of dull derivative pap. And it very much feels less than the sum of its parts; every element is considerably flawed. Pity, because every (not) so often it manages to elicit nostalgic feelings of Mass Effect, and I don't mean just when it's a pale imitation.

I'm thinking of playing it first when doing my next ME series run, just because I don't want "God I have to play Andromeda at the end" hanging over it, and also ME1 is my least favorite so getting those out of the way would be nice

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My complaint about PoE is mostly the last act consisting of a dungeon where Your sister pops up out of nowhere, plot dumps at you for an hour, then chews you out for not picking the objectively worst decision out of a giant pile of bad decisions.

Tyranny's last act basically being a series of boss fights, some of which you can actually talk your way out of. Felt more like the victory lap as you see how all your decisions play out and which party members actually stick with you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm thinking of playing it first when doing my next ME series run, just because I don't want "God I have to play Andromeda at the end" hanging over it, and also ME1 is my least favorite so getting those out of the way would be nice

Or, revolutionary idea, don't play Andromeda.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chiasaur11 posted:

don't play Andromeda.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

chiasaur11 posted:

Or, revolutionary idea, don't play Andromeda.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Even More Video Games

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

in the time it takes to play mass effect andromeda, you could play mass effect 2 at least 4 times

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lol this game has the weirdest bugs. Just randomly didn't give me skill points at level up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

They could have used some (any?) variety, but I enjoy the architect fights.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

They could have used some (any?) variety, but I enjoy the architect fights.

Here's the secret to the Architect fights

Or rather the only way to enjoy a real challenge in the game.

Find the desert one *WAY* before you ever should, when you're massively under leveled, before you're even supposed to know they're out there. Have only a shotgun and a sword as your weapons. Biotic charge and drones are your only real powers.

That right there is the true final boss of the game.

It was a lot of fun and took me goddamn forever but I killed the fucker.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Burkion posted:

Here's the secret to the Architect fights

Or rather the only way to enjoy a real challenge in the game.

Find the desert one *WAY* before you ever should, when you're massively under leveled, before you're even supposed to know they're out there. Have only a shotgun and a sword as your weapons. Biotic charge and drones are your only real powers.

That right there is the true final boss of the game.

It was a lot of fun and took me goddamn forever but I killed the fucker.

I had a similar experience. The few times the game poses a challenge it's usually fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Game sure does occasionally manage to wow with its vistas and lighting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
A lot of Stockholm Syndrome up in here

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Uninspired though they may be, the planetary landscapes are gorgeous.

e:well, most of the time. Eos, the trial planet, is near the bottom of the list.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 20, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So now two lead writers and their lead animator have left Anthem and Bioware.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Anthem is going to be such a great trashfire to gawk at.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe Casey's taking out the trash?

E: that's meaner than I intended the joke to be

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

The good thing is Bungo set the bar really low with Destiny 2 so even without lead writers and animators EA might sell Anthem a bunch :haw:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

orcane posted:

The good thing is Bungo set the bar really low with Destiny 2 so even without lead writers and animators EA might sell Anthem a bunch :haw:

Yeah, honestly, this is going to be interesting. Destiny 2 is basically burning on PC and I doubt it'll recover (tell them all about it, ABGD!)

So, I could see Anthem doing well just because Destiny 2 sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

More like Requiem.