Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

So far, just got to my ship. This game feels like I'm playing through the studio's animatic of a very sloppy first draft script. It's pretty rough going.

Definitely feeling like they needed to kill some darlings, here. It's really half-baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Drifter posted:

How dare you criticize them, they've worked so hard on this game, for years and years.

I want to like it, but...

Where's the polish? Any of it?

I just played what could have been a complete turd, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and it was actually really good, because it was polished as hell and it knew that its core mechanic was a lot of fun, so it really pushed it.

Right now, it feels like they just kept slapping poo poo on this and then hit a deadline and had to ship before anyone had a chance to edit or fix the sloppy interactions or animations, much less getting someone to punch up the dialog. It's really early but it so far the story beats, like your father's 'secret', feel really heavy-handed and amateurish. I can forgive Horizon for some of its excesses in storytelling - it's harder, based on history, for me to forgive a Mass Effect game.

It'd be like if Valve released Portal 3 and it was sloppy and full of juvenile humor, but it was three times as long. I love the mechanic as much as anyone, but that would be a real insult to the game's legacy and their reputations.

I hope this gets better.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Lucid Dream posted:

Even if it is a disappointing Mass Effect game, its still better than most games. If Horizon, Zelda and Nier are getting 90+ then Andromeda getting ~78 feels right to me.

I guess I can see that, but then again, I paid the ~$69 because I thought I was getting a 90+ game based on the pedigree. If this stays a 78 game, I'll just wait for the next one to be down to $30 on sale - I certainly won't have a reason to look forward to it. They may have lost half of my money, and a lot of other people's money - for some of them, all of it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Apparently his wife, who he claims to love deeply, dispassionately telling him she's going to die made him break all the rules.

That's as far as I've seen.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

And hey, what happened to the radio announcer guy who used to read the codex to me? Sometimes it was a little much, yes, but getting rid of it entirely? That's over correcting.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

This whole thing really makes the ME3 ending excuse of "artistic vision" somehow retroactively seem even more false and shallow.

Did John Romero have anything to do with this game? Because I feel like this game, and Bioware, tricked me - made me its bitch. And also, I can't leave without my buddy Superfly.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

So I'm on to the second big planet where you are fighting with the alien resistance and for some reason a thought popped into my head about what the terraforming stuff is and how it probably relates to the story. I've been careful to avoid spoilers for the story, but I just randomly thought my way into a concept that I realized was just cheeseball enough to be plausible for a Mass Effect story. I'm putting this in spoilers because I don't know whether it's right or not, but...

It's your Mom, right? The cheesy scene where your dad gets informed that your mom will die and says he can fix it - he made her into an AI, sent her to colonize a new galaxy because AIs were illegal in the Milky Way - but something happened and she/it got messed up and started to consume worlds, right? I'm guessing Dad promised those golden worlds because the Mom AI was supposed to deliver...I don't know what the kett or anyone else have to do with this, but it fits with the idea that a) your family history is somehow important and b) this scourge poo poo seems like it just started happening here relatively recently.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Decius posted:

No. MEA is pretty on the nose, but not that much. It is a bit more complicated, inventive and also simpler at the same time. Alec Ryder and his wife built SAM/the implant tech together.

Thanks. I'm kind of relieved by this answer.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Game Report – 30 hours in. Everything here is my opinion. I’m not stating that this is how everyone has to see the game.

Things have improved. The game experience has proven to be compelling. I wouldn’t say it’s fun, though. It has too many things that hold it back from being truly fun.
On the good side:

There’s a suitably epic feel to restoring planets. You really do feel as if you are accomplishing something. A real exploration vibe starts to sink in after a planet or two. The incidental conversations you have with aliens are not as jarring as the main plot conversations. There are some interesting story elements that I have grown curious about – what is the scourge? Where did it come from? Do the Remnant have anything to do with it? What’s the Kett’s deal, man?

But the bad…Oh, the bad.

The dialog itself ranges from simply adequate to almost childishly bad. If you have subtitles on, you can see that there is some nuance in the dialog that the director never got out of the actors. The meaningful conversations you have with your crewmates, which should have received most of the animation attention, are just as barebones and poorly done as any other conversation.

The combat is not fun. It feels like every jump skips a few frames, so it just feels clunky and rough. When I compare it to the last game I played, Horizon, I’m shocked at how bad it is. In Horizon, the core mechanic was a lot of fun, and the movement was so smooth that evading and dodging had a pleasing dance-like effect, while giving you lots of options for tactics. In ME:A, jumping around doesn’t feel freeing. It would seem like it would present a faster way to move, particularly when not in combat, but you come to a stop after every jump. It would be much better for the feel of the movement if you kept moving.

The game is riddled with bugs. Sometimes they are just overwhelming. Objects \ enemies end up inside pillars and can’t be killed – which means you can’t save. Allies and enemies get stuck in a single frame of an animation. Conversations end up staring at the sky. Pop-in is everywhere.

Everything about the interface gets in the way of the game. The menu system is atrocious. It is hard to navigate, has way too many areas to try to deal with, and doesn’t properly update its already-read status. Not being able to equip items is very silly. You have to be standing in correct positions to loot \ interact, which causes you to circle your target over and over again. Sometimes the menu seems to act differently than you expect for no reason. Sometimes you can skip a conversation without an issue, other times it starts off on conversations that you didn’t want to have, or skips an entire line of dialog. As cheesy as the dialog is, we should at least see it. The craft system is a joke.

The large worlds actually end up making the game feel smaller, rather than larger. I think part of the problem is that there are some 15-30 activities to do on each world, and much of it involves either backtracking or searching multiple sites for one hit. It incentivizes you to get all the forward stations as soon as you can, then fast travel from place to place. Unlike in other map games, your fast travel only applies to your immediate location. I can’t, for instance, fast-travel from one planet to another, making the journey feel like an unnecessary chore. In Skyrim or Horizon I could go across the map – the non-fast travel in ME:A is pretty but very boring.

That’s where I am now, four planets in. I’m still playing, though. That’s something - it’s compelling enough to keep me playing. But it’s really clear that this needed 6 months of polish and at least 3 months of testing and bugfixing. They should be ashamed at releasing what seems to amount to an alpha build of the game. There’s nothing here that I couldn’t have been fine waiting a year for them to polish. As it stands, when I’m done, I don’t see myself replaying it, like I have every other ME game. The opening is too painfully bad and I don’t feel interested in the road not taken with regards to some of my choices. I also won’t be pre-ordering the second game – I’ll play it, sure, but I’ll wait till it either gets good reviews or gets down to half price.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Oh, also, all the interesting sci-fi has been stripped from the game. The weird way the mass effect drives worked, the differences between species and what they had to eat, the interesting information about systems and cultures that you could scroll through and take your time exploring the world? Gone. Somehow you're fine just traveling through systems without mass relays that were supposedly required in the previous games. It's like I'm playing a game that actually takes place in a different universe with different rules, but some fans slapped a Mass Effect mod onto it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm starting to feel like people just ignore information presented in the game and treat it like screw ups on ME:A's part because they've heard ME:A is lazy about the writing.

ME:A *is* lazy about writing - particularly with regards to the dialog, though clearly I'm wrong in what I'm remembering with regards to the mass effect relays and poo poo from the other games. And in my defense, I haven't seen anything about the dextro stuff yet.

I still miss the mass relays.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

idk about any of that but the first ten hours of this game does not "really suck"

It's the worst part of the game experience by far. I'm not done yet, though, so maybe that will change.

Once the game opens up and you start to find your comfort zone, the game stops trying to actively make you hate it. But those first few hours are rough as hell.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The absolute worst thing about this game is that I apparently like it so much.

I find myself willing to play through a whole bunch of really janky, terribly put together systems in order to have access to a very wide variety of games and playstyles. The lack of polish and depth to any of the individual systems, though, make them all feel like minigames. As if they were all almost afterthoughts.

The exploration\map opening game? Stuffed to the brim with quests, but overloaded with uninvolving fetch quests.

The space exploration game? Very pretty, but slow - which makes it a question of why it is used instead of a more simple fast travel mechanic that the rest of the game already supports.

Combat? Fast and frenetic, but the models slide on the floor and the environments are full of bugs. I can't tell if the items are important or not important. More likely, there's a major lack of consistency in what works and what doesn't work.

The dialog and voice and tone of the story, which the original games, if not winning any awards for it, at least set up as consistency across three games (ignoring the ending)? All over the map, here. Sometimes it will shock you into respecting it, but most of the time you're cringing at how stale and stiff it is.

It all feels kind of like a beta test for a future game, not a $60 AAA experience that we are used to. I might have been more inclined to praise it if that's how they had sold it to me.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

Since we agree that fiction isn't real, surely you must then conclude that issues of consent are implicitly irrelevant in any heroic narrative.

Some people find that when their escapist entertainment they were enjoying suddenly turns into a hamfisted jesus allegory out of nowhere they are left with a bad taste in their mouth. Nothing stops an interesting story quite like preaching.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Triggered??

Troubled??

Perturbed???

Now you're just trolling.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Is there a spoiler thread? Because there were hints elsewhere in the thread about another lovecraftian menace, but after finishing the game I don't see it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

So, my final verdict, for the no one who care:

When I first started playing the game, it was a 50%, at best. At best. It was (and remains) super buggy, lacks almost any polish, and the first 5-10 hours are an interminable slog filled with bad dialog and, to be fair, a major dose of dashed expectations on my part.

About midway through, it started turning around. It still is a game full of problems that never should have been released, but you begin to forgive it a bit. The dialog is horrible, except when it isn't, which is actually a lot of the game once you get past the beginning. Really, the beginning features some of the worst shovelware crap dialog and needs a complete rewrite. The game opens up and you have a LOT of stuff you can do. It all feels very sloppy but still fulfilling, like a garbage plate. Inching about 70%, but the bugs hurt it.

As I was getting to the end, my opinion of the game started to drop again. Part of it was this constant feeling that the game was actively trying to make things difficult for me. For instance, I get using the ship interface to go somewhere, and I get that they needed it for load screens. But there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to automate me going from, say, Eos to the Nexus. You can even show all the screens along the way, just do the traveling parts for me. Don't force me to stop at *every* point along the way. Let me go to a planet directly, once I've found it, instead of putting me down in some city where I have to fast travel two times to get to the planet part. And for gods sake stop making me travel from the planet, to the ship, to another planet, then back to the ship for a loving quest. Or, if you're going to do that, do it once, not twenty times.

The loyalty missions and story missions show that yeah, this game really could have been great, if they gave it another year of polish, QA'd the gently caress out of it, and got rid of or massaged over all the rough edges - but as it is, those edges aren't just rough, they're sharp. I never got to do the movie night or even get the colony on Kadara because of bugs. I have lots of screenshots of poo poo bugging out, which I'll maybe share if I figure out how to get them off of my ps4 - if you managed to play this game without bugs, congratulations on being among the apparently 3% who claim this game is flawless. I wish I had your copy, the copy they gave me sucks.

Also the ending was pretty underwhelming. I had a better story in my head. Which is typical for Mass Effect games, but still. It could have impressed me with the ending, but it didn't.

So it's back to 50% as my final score for this edition of the game. A patched up, less buggy and just a bit more cohesive version might get a 70%. Change the dialog, fix the models during presentation, and make things easier to navigate and it would be an 80% game easily. Do all that and make less busywork quests and just 5-10 more involving and interesting quests, and it's probably a 95% game. It really needs that year of extra work. I won't be replaying it until it's patched significantly - and I won't be pre-ordering ME:A 2.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 3, 2017

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

There are some pretty awesome experiences in ME:A, where for a period of time all the shittiness you've been subjected to melts away and you find yourself in a very enjoyable stretch of gaming, and everything seems to click.

These moments tend to be separated by 2-6 hours of busywork and a buggy as poo poo implementation of a bunch of half-cocked ideas. I understand that those good gaming moments exist - I definitely respect the game for what it's doing when it's clicking - but I can't agree with those who say that ME:A is a good game because of those experiences, which are few and far between.

I also understand the people who say "I haven't had any bugs," but really, what you're saying is, "I haven't had any game-breaking bugs." The game is buggy as gently caress and anyone who denies that is lying to themselves. Driving up to encounters only to have all the enemies in one blob ten feet above the ground, where you shoot them one by one and they fall, dead. Come on guys. This is supposed to be a AAA game, this poo poo shouldn't happen.

I've been replaying Horizon, and man, it's so well done in comparison to this game. It's night and day. They even have moments where, if you do something unexpected, it's accounted for in the dialog. It's not like the narrative dissonance of everyone on my team in ME:A suddenly knowing what an architect is and how to defeat it while the quest text insists that no one has encountered this before.

I'll keep monitoring the thread I guess, because maybe this game will get patched into something playable and I'll be interested in going back and doing a replay - maybe they fix the busywork poo poo or someone makes a nice chart of *good quests* vs. *bad quests* and I can do a less painful run where I feel like the game isn't punishing me for trying to play it. But that day ain't today.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

I think part of this is the setting they chose and the new races/characters they chose. It's hard to have a living universe when arguably the most successful and well-connected civilization in Heleus is cast offs from your own Nexus group and the other civilizations are a newcomer race, a race that has undergone 2 apocalypses in ~600 years, and a dead civilization.

It's such an odd narrative choice, when you think about it. They have established that everywhere you go, there are remnant caches, and indeed giant machines that can change an entire planet's atmosphere with the push of a button.

Why not have some sort of smaller remnant cache situations where exile groups were able to take over and create geth-like robots to fight for them? It would explain the loads of exiles and poo poo that you kill with killing their robots instead, and it would fit with the broader narrative of this advanced race leaving behind a bunch of crazy poo poo.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

No, not really; I've had two bugs; one where Cora didn't get off the ground when killed that fixed itself when I fast traveled and one time a dino spawned inside a rock on Elaaden.

I don't believe you. Plain and simple. You've not had poo poo where the on-screen prompt constantly spams "YOU CAN'T SUMMON THE NOMAD HERE" while you're in the Nomad? You haven't had creatures locked in a t-model? You haven't had conversations where the camera decides to focus on the floor instead of the shot/reverse-shot they were going for? You somehow got the only copy of the game without a cornucopia of bugs?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I'm playing on the ps4 so I don't know how I can have unclean saves.

It may be the case that the PC version isn't as buggy as the PS4 version - woe to EA, then, because the ps4 would certainly have been their most popular platform.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

Does the PS4 make a new save every time you save, or does it overwrite stuff?

It lets you do both.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Since it was the second, everyone is talking like they know what this thing is. If I'd played it in order, would they have given some more detail on wtf it is?

Nope.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've had a handful of bugs so far (about halfway through) but none of those.

They were just examples. I could go on and on about the various bugs I've encountered. Not a single one of them is, on its own, a deal breaker. That they kept coming, though...

Charles Get-Out posted:

Could be clean saves do nothing though and I've just gotten lucky/haven't died in the bad spots people report.

I did a mix of both, I guess - but I can't speak to the effectiveness of such a system, really.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

I wish I lived in the magical fantasy land you do where every single major western RPG release of the last 15 years was bug free and ran smooth as butter. From Bioware to Troika to Obsidian to Bethesda to CDPR, the one unifying thing they all have in common is that you'll invariably find a laundry list of crazy loving bugs on release. Doesn't make it right, it's just the way it is.

If you're playing ME:A and felt, "Yeah, that's the normal amount of bugs I expect to see" then I really think you've been getting stuck with some lovely rear end brand new games for 15 years and that sucks, man, because you deserve better.

I also want to repeat: The bugs by *themselves* aren't dealbreakers. The bad dialog by *itself* isn't a dealbreaker. The poorly implemented travel system *by itself* isn't a dealbreaker. Etc. etc. etc. And yes, the game has some sparkling jewel moments that make you stand up and take notice, absolutely.

None of that excuses releasing what amounts to a super-buggy beta with almost no polish that feels as if they spent the last 6 weeks patching it together with the code equivilant of duct tape just so it wouldn't crash everywhere. You can practically feel it chugging as it switches from one system to another, imagining the core engine pushing out tons of virtual black smoke as it tries to switch between its overdone and underbaked space exploration minigame and its open-world scanning minigame that can get interrupted by its combat minigame.

And none of the minigames were really designed for the dialog minigame, which received almost no polish and attention - except for the few missions where it got a *ton* of attention and it really shows. It's so schizophrenic.

Also, with regards to people saying the writing here is on par or better than the original Mass Effect - come on. Mass Effect is never going to win any awards for dialog, and yes, there has always been a cheese factor, absolutely - but there had been a consistency of tone through the original games that is all over the map in this one.

For instance, they have this weird branch/back-to-trunk dialog system that wouldn't be a huge issue, but for the fact that they wanted it to make it seem like you could gently caress everyone. That means that you get weird jarring dialog where your 'bro out' dialog sounds weirdly like your 'you my bae' option because they had to keep that particular line ambiguous. It's weird that they touted so much new dialog in this one, but it doesn't actually reflect your actual relationships that you think you have with the characters - just a sort of catch-all 'they could be loving, so keep it ambiguous' generalized interaction. I didn't romance anyone and yet everyone comes off like they're half flirting with me all the time.

That's just *one* area where the dialog is pretty poo poo. And again - the dialog does have some really stellar moments in this game - but those moments are spaced out with a bunch of b-movie grade, first-draft nonsense. Oh boy, especially in the opening parts. Those are rough as hell.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Dexo posted:

I mean I have been playing ME:A and have ran into 2 bugs.

But you realize that your experience is not the same as others, right? I mean, we're not lying about all the bugs we're encountering. You can watch hours and hours of it on youtube if you want. If you managed to have a nearly bug-free experience - that's nice, sure, but for everyone out there (like me) that had a buggy as hell experience, shouldn't the developer have to deal with the criticism?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

But that's Reaper narrative and Shep only remains ignorant of that distinction for the intro and roughly part of the first planet you decide to go to. The more you find out about the "Geth" in ME1, the more they appear to just be robot mooks & the less interesting and distinct they are.

That's just a function of the main narrative opening up and the initial struggle paling in comparison to the revealed struggle. Raising the stakes. Storytelling 101. That it also gives you a reasonable-enough justification for having a bunch of faceless mooks to fight is just a bonus, gameplay wise.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Also is there any point to upgrading the Nomad ever? The only thing I can think of is maybe to upgrade the jump so you can collect that random loot crate that's on top of a giant rock on Eos.

YES. Upgrade the Nomad as much as you can. It makes the sequences on planets considerably less painful (though not entirely unpainful).

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

I disagree because the motivations are never the Geth's to being with, you aren't in conflict with the Geth beyond them being a function of your antagonist Saren and/or the reapers, & they have no agency in the story. All of the narrative about raising the stakes surrounds and deals with Reaper motivations.

That's...exactly what I said? The Geth ARE just mooks for the Reapers. The Reapers were always the real threat. It's like Luke Skywalker thinks he has to rescue the princess from some stormtroopers at some base, but really the princess is kind of a bit player in what the real threat turns out to be - the stormtroopers are just stooges compared to what the base itself can do!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

Maybe we're talking crossways, but I'm just trying to assert that the Geth don't have a lot going for them in ME1. All of the interesting questions are raised by what the hell Saren is doing and why the hell he is commanding Geth. Also what is that non-Geth ship that gets introduced before you even see the Geth doing??

To bring it back to Star Wars, the Geth are the stormtroopers. They appear to be very powerful, controlling the starport, making Obi-wan all antsy and forcing him to use some shady tricks (even though he easily dealt with the sand people) and killing Luke's psuedo-parents. The conflict still seems to be with this Darth Vader / general guy, his batallion of storm troopers, and while there's something going on with these droids, it's less immediately important than trying to rescue the princess from the clutches of these stormtroopers and their base.

Well, eventually it turns out that these motherfuckers *let* Luke grab the princess and escape, and the story shifts, the stakes rise, and the stormtroopers turn into faceless, easily shot down mooks in lieu of the Galactic Empire's gigantic superweapon. Stormtroopers certainly become a lot less interesting when you find out there's a giant ball that can shoot green lasers that makes planets go kablooie. Just as Geth become a lot less interesting when there's an ancient demi-god bent on destroying all of civilization who is using the Geth like marionettes.

And that's ok, because the story has shifted focus to the bigger problem.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 10, 2017

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Even though the loyalty missions were fun and by far the best part of the game, they're all kind of a blur to me. Whose mission was for who? I don't remember.

I did feel that the mission where you are on the ship that kept changing gravity? That one? Was lazy as hell. Because while it's a fun concept/gimmick to change up the gravity, they never actually did it *in game* - they went to a video of some bomb then loaded you up in a new map with the gravity already shifted. I totally get having to load up a new map under a video screen, but at least let us *witness the transition* from one gravity to another from our perspective, having us fall from the wall to the ceiling, watching as physics objects get knocked all around us.

I mean, it's 2017, and this is supposed to be the main gameplay mechanic in a AAA game.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Moola posted:

is game good or bad?

getting different opinions and its v confusing to me

The only real answer here is yes.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

precision posted:

At least Shepard wasn't "the Shepard", though I bet that idea was tossed around before someone said "Let's not get too Biblical here".

He was at the very end when buzz aldrin-bot talked to his 'sweet'.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Aloy, despite the Nora.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Moola posted:

they should let you name yourself and when anyone says your name the game just uses Microsoft Sam to voice it

I would play again right now if everyone referred to me as "Cocksquirt McGee"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Protip: always name Link "Fart" in every zelda game. Then pretend everyone who talks to you has a flatulence problem.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

plz. note that it's also pretty bad.

it can be both

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

More than half of this game is clearly the developers taking the laziest possible route to completing something. It does get to be pretty infuriating.

Especially when you see something done right and you feel like screaming "YOU COULD HAVE DONE THIS FOR THE WHOLE GAME!"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Android Blues posted:

Some of the writing is really pretty awful no matter how you slice it, and it's not like getting that right is a budget concern.

Sure it is. It's standard practice, particularly for a AAA game, to run your script through a few passes, and an extra dialog pass to punch it up. Don't send a first draft to the editing booth. It's either laziness or a deliberate lack of attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

There are only two options that make sense to me:

1. ME:A developers were dicking around for way too long and were managed by an incompetent. All of the modules were designed separately and no one was willing to kill their darlings, and they probably spent a good deal of last few months patching everything together with duct tape just so the drat thing wouldn't crash all the time. The seams where different things were stitched together are ragged and rough.

2. There was so much interference from the higher-ups that the team was forced to make a ton of changes constantly, and were never going to be ready for the ambitious launch date that was imposed upon them. They probably tried to push back and EA refused, forcing them to put out a game they were not at all ready to put out and dooming them to 6 months of round-the-clock development to try to bring the game up to snuff.

I'll note that these options aren't mutually exclusive.