Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Eej posted:

Mac Walters is the guy who locked himself in a room huffing his own farts until he came up with the ME3 original ending right.

I believe Mac Walters wrote the beginning, end, and Kai Leng. Guess what the three worst parts of ME3 are!

I was tentatively excited about Andromeda until I heard that Walters was in charge. Now its firmly dropped into "Wait for reviews and probably a sale, if at all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Torrannor posted:

So I'm just hoping that they bring some of the good things from the Dragon Age games over to Andromeda.

If you had told me in 2011 that I would one day be hoping they would bring the good things from Dragon Age over to a Mass Effect game, I would have called you an idiot hell fucker.

And yet here we are. :smith:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cowcaster posted:

utanyan's whole schtick is popping into threads about stuff he has no personal investment in and throwing around negative press to rile up the natives so pay him no mind

Oh thank god you posted this, I didn't check the username and was about to faintly agree with him.

That said, John Walker is a contrarian rear end in a top hat who gets in fights in the comment section so yeah take everything he writes with a grain of salt.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I really wish we lived in the timeline where Karpyshyn stayed with the trilogy to the end instead of leaving for SWTOR.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

You posted the wrong version, let me fix that for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVeNwzpFIak

Comparing ME2's intro to Andromeda isn't wholly fair because a lot of the strength of ME2's opening is that these are characters and a setting that we're already invested in. While it would still be cool and interesting without that element, knowing who Shepard and Joker are and why losing the Normandy is painful makes it that much more impactful. Andromeda doesn't have that advantage due to the soft reboot. But like another poster said, ME1 was in the same boat as Andromeda and still had a really cool and epic feeling opening, despite a lot of the story beats being vaguely similar to Andromeda's first hour or so.

Spikeguy posted:

Hell I would have loved a scene like this to show Shepard just how much of her body wasn't her anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXOhIJg4B7k

I was always disappointed that ME3 never played with the implication that Shepard's body had been partially rebuilt using Reaper tech. Having Harbinger ASSUME CONTROL of her eyes or whatever to cause visual hallucinations like in Overlord or TIM shutting off your abilities at random during his boss fight (lol) would have been neat. Could have had a subplot where people start questioning Shepard's stability as her body keeps betraying her.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Avalerion posted:

I didn't like the mako at all, the plot planets were kind of decent since you had a mostly straight road to travel on but the random planet exploration was the worst. Here all the planets are hand crafted though, right?

That wasn't the Mako's fault, it was Bioware half-baking the sidequest planets.

The Mako is Perfect and Blameless.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fojar38 posted:

thanks for posting a gif with endgame plot details visible at the top of the screen, fucker

Its literally just a name, are you so incredibly sensitive and insanely defensive of this game that the word "Meridian" triggers you?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fojar38 posted:

much like how nobody is using the word "bad" correctly

You don't have the will to take Meridian!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wait gently caress the actual quote is

You lack the will to take Meridian!

MAJOR ENDGAME SPOILERS FOR GOTY MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA GUYS FOJAR38 SAID SO

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Rookersh posted:

even the things they used to further explain the ME3 ending

:lol:

How fuckin mad do you think Mac Walters was when no one liked his piece of poo poo ending

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm gonna be generous and say that the ending is better with context. Cause drat, that was pretty bland.

Better than ME3's ending tho.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

marshmallow creep posted:

As someone who really liked where the Dragon Age story is going, I hope the bad writing we're seeing in this Mass Effect doesn't make the DA team worse.

Patrick Weeks is in charge of DA now, so I have high hopes personally.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i'm just hoping I can wipe out Cerberus and throw Miranda and Jacob into open space before this ends.

You can sorta do all of these things because ME2 is a Good Game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

oh, and sending someone to their death as an incorrect choice for an ending isn't quite "throwing these people who think working for the Illusive Man is a good idea into space."

Murder is only as incorrect as you want it to be, friend

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

poisonpill posted:

No he's joking.

It's from a romance scene.

BLACKED.com presents the Liam romance.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

So if this game does turn out to be undeniably poo poo are you going to try to roll with the punches, use the puppetmaster defense, or just vanish

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

OctaMurk posted:

They're only human, they did what they can. Dont put the blame on them.

Oh gently caress you cracked the code. The launch trailer wasn't them just cramming in a popular song regardless of appropriateness.

Bioware animators, blink three times if you are being coerced.

And "Oh they're new" isn't an excuse. ME1 was Bioware's first attempt at making an action RPG set in a new IP and they made a good game. The Andromeda team doesn't get to use that excuse when they're building off the systems and the setting that came before.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I asked before if I was seeing what happened with DA2, but now I'm wondering if I'm seeing something worse

DA2 got hosed because EA gave them about a year to make it. That doesn't absolve it from being a bad game but it has an excuse.

Unless information comes that EA starved the team of resources or whatever, Andromeda does not have that excuse.

Jesus Christ you babies all the ending spoilers have been behind tags maybe don't roll your mouse over the giant black bars gently caress

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Minrad posted:

it's too much all at once

bioware's trying to kill me with laughter

mmmmm a nice refreshing cup of jam

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i cancelled my mass effect preorder and bought horizon zero dawn last thursday and let me tell you my life is in shambles because it's been nothing but robot dinosaurs for days

Its good that there are studios that still do things that are kind of cool and imaginative, like making a game about robot dinosaurs, instead of just retreading well-worn ground even when it doesn't really make sense.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Arglebargle III posted:

I dunno people endlessly rip on Witcher 3 for its chauvinism when it in fact has probably the most human romantic relationships I've seen in a game so I'm kind of leery of people who've never played a game judging how it handles gender and romance.

I think people are still leery of the series because of how poorly the first game handled those issues. Second game was an improvement, but literally one of the first things you see is titties so it was still a bit ehhhhhhhhhh

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nazzadan posted:

Haha look at this guy, he rejected Triss in the fountain scene and slept with Yen on Skellige.

I backed the gently caress off of Triss on account of the whole manipulating Geralt's amnesia to get him to sleep with her thing.

Like drat girl you got a crackin bod and natural redhead sure but that's pretty hosed up.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

euphronius posted:

I do not have sex in video games

Fair

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

WMain00 posted:

They'll probably rake money from Mass Effect also because the generation before us don't give it a gently caress about reviews, listen to the likes of PewDiePie and are a slave to commerce.

Its probably going to be the same as DA2, where there's a high spike of preorders and day 1 buys from die-hard fans/people who don't pay attention to game news but there's no follow-up from people who didn't pre-order and read reviews.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ash1138 posted:

i chose team triss just for continuity from w2

if you want to see a masterclass in animation and voice acting, turn down yen after the djinn's spell is broken. girl was so crushed that i felt bad

i legit felt bad for rejecting a video game character ffs

It was loving cruel as poo poo for CDPR to let her go first and be all "Oh Geralt I still love you!" Only way to get off Team Yen is to get beat out.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 20, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Two giant Polish people loom over Shorty Ryder, laughing as they toss Ryder's biotic ball back and forth. Ryder strains and jumps to reach it but the nefarious Poles keep it just out of reach of his stubby arms and shorty legs.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

2house2fly posted:

I want to be Ryder, I'm fed up of being a decorated war veteran and ultimate badass right from the start. I want to earn my ultimate badass status over the course of the game.

Friend, let me tell you about a little video game called Dragon Age 2 Rise to Power: King-Queen of poo poo Mountain

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Ahahahaha I just realized why the Codex makes such a big deal of SAM being a "new type" of AI based on human experience and a "symbiotic relationship".

Mac Walters still wants his loving green ending goddammit.

And the first dad memory just makes it more explicit. They're literally attempting to justify the ending of ME3, jfc.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 21, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Milky Moor posted:

who the gently caress cares? the game is fun and that's the only thing that matters, christ

Is this a bit you're doing or have you actually converted to the Good Game camp. I can't keep up with all these plot twists in Days of Our Mass Effects.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's the infected Batarian during Mordin's recruitment mission that you can torture for info then leave to die. The Asari scientist during Grunt's recruitment mission that, if you let her live in ME1, you can fix that mistake. And of course the guy who gets defenstrated and that Blue Suns merc that you can give a break from working too hard.

But gosh guys Ryder can be a rude boi on the rare occasions the game lets you!!!!!!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not even a disguise loading screen, there is nothing to load.

I figure its loading the whole "You can look out the window and see what planet you're orbiting!" thing but A) I didn't realize it took that long to load a .jpg and B) if that's the case, that "feature" should have been cut instead of keeping this staggeringly bad decision.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Cams probation has balanced the scales against Utnayan's unjust probation.

Let's not go too far here. Utnayan said this was going to be a bad game but so did a lot of people and he is also still a crazy person who thinks every triple-A game is sending a legion of shills to SA. He did the same routine with TW3 when it was coming out.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Ignoring any kind of language or cultural barriers is just emblematic of how little imagination the writers of this game actually brought to the table. They could have had a game that was actually about exploring a strange and alien galaxy, trying to learn how to speak with the bizarre inhabitants, figuring out how to fit humanity into a place where we are the newcomers.

Pffffft fuckit rock people and cat people and a mysterious ancient civilization epic storyline about rock people trying to become gods or whatever force the player to be a human again SHIP THAT poo poo

quote:

this is such a standard bioware game with standard bioware characters and plot. there is a [threat]. visit these 4-5 [planets, cities] to secure these [star maps, vaults, allies, crew members, etc.], meet people and do tasks of varying importance along the way. the animation is kinda crappy, but also feels very bioware. there are some real clunkers in the writing, but the series has never really featured an amazing script. i get being disappointed by some of these things, but to pretend it's some massive step down is p disingenuous

Its almost like the bar for RPG's has been substantially raised and Bioware vomiting out the same plot and gameplay structure doesn't cut it any more. Especially when this is easily the worst implementation of it yet.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 22, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Phrosphor posted:

There are some awkward sounding voicefiles from Liara because RyderDad thought she was such a great archeologist everyone on the project needed to read all of her journals before coming out. Bear in mind that they left shortly after the events of ME1 so she is still tjhe junior archeologist who got stuck in a bubble and then killed her mom at this point. Seems pretty chirpy despite that.

Alec mentions in his log that he found her "a few years ago" so she might have sent the datalogs prior to becoming trapped in a bubble and murdering her mom.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ravenfood posted:

Wait why do we have AI again? I thought they were banned.

Because Mac Walters wanted to justify the Synthesis ending to ME3, to hell with everything else.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
My framerate goes to poo poo on Eos for no apparent reason and also randomly crashes to desktop and I have no particular desire to fiddle with settings to get it to work, so I'm glad EA did the whole Origin Access so I could personally confirm that ME:A is indeed a mediocre-to-bad game.

I think my favorite part, other than the whole SAM nonsense, is the Tempest. When I first saw it, I initially grumbled at the visual copy-paste similarity to the Normandy but rationalized that both ships were scout ships so it makes sense they'd look alike.

Then I read the Codex and found that the Tempest has a stealth system. Despite that being a huge hush-hush project at the time the Initiative would have launched. Yeah, the Codex tries to handwave it away (and again heavily implies Cerberus funded the Initiative) but it means the Tempest is literally just the Normandy. I swear to God, there was not a single original thought brought up in the writers' room.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I made a decent Southeast Asian-esque male Ryder with a minimum of fiddling. To me it looks like pretty much all the human faces have too large, too white eyes though.

Its actually impressive that the default faces used in all the marketing are the worst-looking ones I've seen.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I think the main reason the combat in this game is okay is that Vanguard is still the best goddamn thing and there's no other game that replicates that playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Waltzing Along posted:

How long till this is $20?

Seems like the right price because it should be all patched up by then. But still have boring characters and story.

Titanfall 2 has already been pretty steeply discounted in sales. Probably won't take too long, but the smarter money is waiting a year or so for the edition with all the DLC.