Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just met the Angara and currently am stuck on an infinite loading screen. Restarted my PS4 and it's still happening. Was really enjoying the game so far, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh, hey, my fourth reload in between multiplayer matches worked

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God dammit, I was doing the Kett Base on the ice planet and got killed in the hangar. It sent me all the way back to the initial approach. I would have thought it'd auto save after I took out the security terminal or something

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

I feel like Bioware got confused between Biotics and Dragon Age Mages, because it never seemed like a big deal in the first three games. I mean, Kaiden is like, "yeah I'm a biotics and I killed a guy on accident, but I'm still a Lieutenant in the Alliance Military and I get headaches from time to time."

Meanwhile Cora gets biotic powers and it's off to the Asari world for you young lady!

The first one had some side quests with outcast biotic terrorists, didn't it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It's too bad you can't access the codex from the phone app like the grimoire cards from destiny. It'd be nice to be able to catch up on lore dumps on the shitter.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

what weapons should i use as a vanguard charger

I did well with the piranha. Full auto shotgun. That and a pistol still came in light enough for 100 percent recharge speed

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thundercloud posted:

Trying to play the single player campaign and after the cut scene at the Angara rebel HQ where you meet the Angara party member and recruit him the game goes to the loading screen and never leaves it.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Yeah, I had to restart my PS4 twice before it worked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Duder X posted:

I guess I've just repeatedly missed it, but have they explained how the gently caress their ships even made it to Andromeda? Without mass effect relays, they still managed to travel millions of light years in ~600 years, and I can't find how they did it anywhere in the codex. I also don't remember them explaining it with dialogue at any point. Am I just supposed to surmise that they used standard FTL drives? Did the Initiative have access to some sort of super fuel that didn't exist in ME2? Remember, when you'd run out of fuel traveling between two or three solar systems, never mind zipping around an entire galactic cluster? Considering resources are so loving scarce, you'd think fuel would be at a god drat premium. Does the Pathfinder just have a platinum card when it comes to fuel and can use all s/he wants without answering to anyone?

It's mentioned a few times in the game they used Weird FTL drives with capacitors to handle the static discharge, and used ramjet scoops to capture hydrogen atoms to act as fuel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really do think there should be another mass effect game. The first one did a great job of creating a setting that I think has a lot of places to go, they just went and did the whole "galaxy-wide apocalypse" bit too early.

And that's not to poo poo on the reaper plot, because ME3 did a great job of setting a tone, where everything was hosed but you're fighting tooth and nail against it and even ekeing out a few real wins. It just should have been forestalled a bit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Barring global cataclysm, there will be another Mass Effect.

I don't doubt that, I was mostly responding to the "series should have just ended at 3" posts

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm enjoying this game a lot, but whoever decided that instant kills was an acceptable mechanic in a single-player game needs to be cockslapped. loving hell it made the Cardinal fight take way longer than it needed to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

Enemies scale with character level but it doesn't appear to make an huge difference until you get into levels 40+ so I would not worry unless you're gonna do NG+ on Insanity.

Yeah, at least through level 25, where I'm at, it feels like character power grows significantly quicker than enemy power. And you get all sorts of new things in your toolbox to make exploding enemies easier

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

man nurse posted:

My hot take is that this game strongly evokes the first Mass Effect in terms of annoying poo poo, like inventory management and how traveling takes too long. However the combat is fun and the story and characters have grown on me, and there's an overwhelming amount of poo poo to do. Not all of it is good, and the galaxy map makes leapfrogging around doing sidequests more of a pain than it should be, but all in all I'm enjoying myself.

The technical issues have mostly just been funny, but I do have at least one broken quest in my log.

Liam is the Kaidan/Jacob of this game.

Yeah, one of my favorite things about the first game was how much poo poo there was to do. I still remember that "Oh, drat!" feeling the first time the galaxy map panned outwards. ME2 and 3 were tighter, and better games for it, but drat if I didn't want to go exploring some huge galaxy again and see if I can find all the space trash they put in my quest logs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I play as a vanguard and I mostly use tech powers as my primer. The vanguard profile is awesome but I'm having a bitch of a time leveling it up because I'm out of useful passives on the combat tree.

E: and I know that using overload and incinerate as my primers for a vanguard is dumb as gently caress but they're just too much fun to not use.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

At some point you start dumping points into skills you don't even want (maybe in alternate builds?) just to unlock the higher tier passives from the SAM mode switching thing your dad was doing in the opening mission.

I forget what it's called. I just set it to "biotic adept" and left it alone for the rest of the game.

If you go close to all out (I got some complimentary combat stuff to round it out) then you'll reach tier 5 by end of game. Tier 6 will be NG+ unless you want to just grind it out I guess.

Yeah, my vanguard profile is level 3, I just wish I was getting something out of the combat passives I'm leveling up. The biotic ones are awesome. Barriers has made me basically unkillable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also Lex Luthor.

I believe you mean CO Hadley.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Sooo (building off of LOTS OF SPECULATION from a few pages ago) if the Jaardan are humans post-synthesis, does that mean The Scourge, which literally hunts down anything related to their technology, is some kind of variation on Destroy? That would actually be a smart way of doing the "combine all three endings" continuation.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It's more interesting than another "generic precursors who peaced out a while back" plot, so it's fun to think about.

It's kind of like what Fringe did with the "first people". Fringe spoilers: There were no first people, the characters ended up chucking poo poo they'd need into a wormhole to millions of years ago.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BrianWilly posted:

I'm not knocking the actual speculation and guesswork here -- I'd love to hear more thoughts on the whole Jardaan/Opposition thing they set up -- but the page after page of CIA-documentation "Oh god is that really what they're doing??? LOL BIOWARE" freakouts here are super annoying.

I'm just spoilering it because I have no idea what the spoiler policy in this thread is so I'm tossing anything related to an endgame reveal into black bars.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ashpanash posted:

Yeah, I get it, all I'm saying is that this is really a bunch of bullshit magic, not hard sci-fi.

Most "hard" sci fi still works off one or two outlandish concepts, and fills in with well-reasoned and scientific explanations for how things work outside that. Usually looking at how society develops from it (in the good ones) instead of jerking off about science 24/7

ME1 was actually pretty awesome at that. That and The Expanse novels are some of my favorite hard sci-fi settings.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Carebearz posted:

I mean it's literally the same loving thing, but different enemies.

Maybe it's been patched since, but a lot of the guns are pretty anemic compared to ME3 multiplayer. I think. I might just be comparing them to the ones I had after a few years of playing ME3 multiplayer on and off.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JawKnee posted:

I think I remember the ammo you ran over only filling up the gun you had equipped at the time - my point was more that you never had to juggle separate ammo types, ever, in the series. So I don't get the point of bringing up needing universal ammo when all the ammo (with the notable exception of heavy weapons in ME2) is already able to work with every other weapon

There's even justification in universe for this as the 'ammo' isn't, well, ammo - it's a heat sink. The ammo is just bits of metal being shaved off a block that each gun already has in it and that effectively can't run out.

Didn't the early ME2 previews talk about still having an ME1 style heat system, with the ammo pickups being sinks so you could eject the overheated one and reload without having to wait to cool down?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Also Destiny's secret sauce is bungie's top notch gun feel, the way that console aiming and shooting feels in the game is incredible and coming over to mass Effect after playing a lot of destiny, it's embarrassing how bad the guns in MEA feel. There's absolutely no real care taken to adapt the aiming mechanics and enemy behavior to console controllers, and the guy earlier is right that the only thing that feels good to use is powers.

Getting a headshot kill in Destiny still has a nice little rush of "gently caress yeah" even after putting way too many hours in. Aiming and shooting just feel right. And even when I'm dumping an equivalent amount of ammo into a dude in that compared to MEA, it feels less spongy because there's a lot more feedback.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Taear posted:

I absolutely hated the first NWN. I returned it and never played any of the expansions!

Vanilla NWN was terrible. The expansions were a huge step up, and are legit good basically standalone games. Can't imagine going back to them now though, I doubt they aged well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Clawtopsy posted:

i really like cheeseburgers, and reposting this image:

gently caress, man. Maxis, Westwood, and Bullfrog made the best games of my childhood. Forgot EA gutted them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zudgemud posted:

It sure does if you like walking around investing/exploring everything, you simply don't appear to enjoy it. Just because many open world games execute the open world badly does not make the open world aspect I'll fitting for dedicated open world games such as the later Elder Scrolls series, Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn.

Horizon Zero Dawn has hit something in my brain that I haven't seen since playing Ocarina of Time on Christmas break in fourth grade.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really wish they’d remaster the trilogy for current gen consoles. I would love to replay ME1 without the decade old graphics.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Burkion posted:

Upgrade it to ME2 or 3's combat system and we have an ideal scenario

As long as the giant empty planets stay I’m in.

Not being sarcastic, I’m the lunatic that liked the exploration stuff in ME1

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah. I liked it alright while I was playing it but it's just so big and so uncaptivating that there's just no itch to ever do it again.

Also, the freedom to respec your class into any playstyle you want mid-game—a feature which I absolutely appreciate, mind you—also eliminates a lot of the incentive to ever play it again. In 1-3 (well, 2 and 3 at least) you wanted to play it 6 times because you wanted to see what all the classes were like, but in this one there's no reason to. Which is also true of 2 and 3 if you know how to use a save editor I guess

Knowing their isn’t a sequel in the works kind of kicked it in the balls, too. All your choices are made to set up the next game and don’t have effects in this one. Honestly, if they were restarting the setting, they should have gone all Alpha Protocol and made a short game where you can make changes in one 15 hour playthrough

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

I forget if andromeda has an option to filter out the “tasks” missions from appearing on your map, but having something like that would have helped a lot. Just so you could look at the map and quickly see if the closest dot is part of your mission to save the galaxy, or if it’s just the location of the nearest space bear cloaca would help

Yeah, that is a close second to the loading screens in terms of this game stepping on its own dick.

The shooting felt good, I liked going out and exploring, but the game got in its way so often.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

I mostly play it if my neighbors noise wakes me up in the middle of the night, and on weekends. I played Liam's loyalty mission and it was surprisingly silly and fun. Just another sign of what the game could've been if they'd had their poo poo together.

Liam’s was the one with the gravity fuckery, right? That ruled.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
ME3 MP was better than it had any right to be. I remember a lot of people (myself included) expected it to be a cheap cash in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

*division 2 trailer plays* "lol u human being using shock nades 1v1 me 4 real bitch"

That just got announced today and I have no doubt that when it comes out it’ll kill Anthem dead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Burkion posted:

Drack and

I'm not joking when I say this

I forgot the lady Turian's name. I really did. She was even my romance option

I rolled Drack and Vetra for basically the whole drat game, far and away the best party members.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Fallout: New Vegas?

Also Alpha Protocol. Which was also Obsidian, now that I think of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

It still amazes me that people come away from a lovely mission reporting that the skybox was really good, therefore the mission was good.

The game set a solid mood, and things like Palavens moon really worked well with it. poo poo was hosed and you were on the back foot but getting your team together.

The skybox was the icing on the cake.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Her character arc between the end of 2 and 3 was the only good one.

But then you do her mission, get,to the end and it didn't matter in the slightest

GG bioware

Doesn’t her state at the end of ME2 really effect the Grissom academy level in 3?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

who's the salarian. i don't remember any salarians

The pilot of the ship I think

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Do people still play the multiplayer, even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
DA2 was a weird one for me. I was hooked when I got it, played for like six or seven hours straight, and then literally never touched it again. As soon as I quit out, any and all interest died. I ended up following the SA thread and learning about the bonkers plot that way.