Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's a bit sad. The Keep is a grest replacement for savegame imports, and now it won't even be needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Bringing in the Dragon Age guys might at least do the characters a lot of good, and gives me a bit of hope for Peebee. Remember in the Inquisition announcements where they said that Cassandra was a romantic at heart? Turns out that was true, but she is still an amazing character. ("Nothing should happen to her! She was falsely accused!") Same deal with Dorian, who was described as "dashing", but was actually pretty good as well. Not to mention that the overarching antagonist of Inquisition and Trespasser might just be the best antagonist that Bioware ever created (even before the Arishok, Jade Empire's villain, and Sovereign). So I'm just hoping that they bring some of the good things from the Dragon Age games over to Andromeda.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Milky Moor posted:

Partially that and I also don't think it tells us or shows us anything we don't already know.

When you compare it to the first few ME2 trailers, which showed all sorts of things - the Normandy attack, the Shepard was dead thing, the guy going out the window, heavy weapons, the derelict reaper, and even some stuff like Tali being a party member that they tried to keep secret...

This is just imagery we've already seen (ship explodes, guy breathing), a villain that feels like Saren, an Asari squad member, and a whole bunch of lines that feel like typical trailer talk.

Comparing it to the ME2 trailers that built on the very solid foundation and the mystery of the Reapers is hardly fair. Due to the "reset", there are no real unresolved mysteries that they can hint at being covered in Andromeda.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Skellybones posted:

Okay so we're going to get boning down with:

- The wacky and fun PeeBee blue space waifu
- Your bisexual second in command, very unprofessional
- Let's say, your science or medical officer
- Someone from an as-yet unseen species which has hot waifus
- A Turian or other less-humanlike species
- An AI in a sexy waifu body
- A DLC-added alien character who is weird and gross, like Zaeed

These are my predictions.

You forgot the hunky gay Krogan!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marshmallow creep posted:

Rumor going around is that Liam is the guy in the middle of this picture:

with the assumption that the other two are the Ryder twins.

If that's the case, this is also probably him:

My Ryder would do him.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Humerus posted:

Sort of speaking-of, how are we traveling within the Andromeda galaxy? Are there Mass Relays there, and if so, wouldn't that point directly to Reaper interference?

It's mentioned a few times in the Codex, but most players probably overlook it: There is faster-than-light travel without Mass Relays. It's just a lot slower than said relays. So we will probably only travel through a small part of Andromeda, using conventional hyper drives. But it won't have a real gameplay effect, apart from leaving much more of Andromeda unexplored for ME5, ME6, etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The Reapers have supposedly been around for about a billion years. That's more than enough time for them to have a presence in a lot of nearby galaxies. It would be weird if their primary directive was "preserve all intelligent life...only in this galaxy though."

It was a flawed AI built by a Milky Way empire. It's not inconceivable that there's a directive like "safeguard against organics-AI wars in this galaxy",or "in our (Leviathan's) sphere of influence" (which means the Milky Way again).

And Bioware would be extremely dumb if there were Reapers in Andromeda, beyond an Easter Egg or something like that. What's the point of a soft reset if you end up where you started before the reset?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Thor-Stryker posted:

No, really, it's a bad game:
(1)-Optional sidequest stuff contributes jack poo poo to the story.
(2)-2-3 relic hunting mechanics they have in the game to pad hours.
(3)-Respawning locational monster groups that provide zero challenge after you've already cleared a zone.
(4)-lovely camera mechanics in a 21st-century game.
(5)-Retarded AI that outputs at half the DPS compared to the player,
(6)-Time-locked war-table content unless you cheat.
(7)-Vanilla-WoW style quest mechanics ("Fetch me 3 boar hides from three randomly spawning boars 20 feet from my door!")
(8)-Grand Environments where you plod around for ten minutes just to find the next quest.
(9)-Tactless Combat outside of Dragonfights. Just zerg poo poo and press buttanss!!

So far, DA:O has probably been the best balance of all the requirements for a good game with all its sequels failing in major ways.

You are right, the combat in Inquisition is not very interesting. The combat in ME2 and ME3 is so much better. But there's no reason to believe that Andromeda will inherit anything from bad DA combat, they will instead build on the successful ME games, so points 3, 4, 5 and 9 are already out. And as others have said, Bioware built a pretty good single player game in the shell of an MMO. Because they originally planned to make it an MMO! Before SWTOR and the like didn't fare as well as they thought. Just like Sims4 was planned to be an MMO. They scrapped the plans but had to work with at least some of the things they made so far. Which leads to lovely things like points 1, 2, 7, 8 and 9. They will likely/hopefully not make the same mistakes in Andromeda. The war table could have been a cool feature if it was a bit more meaningful and a lot more accessible (if not at will, then at least in all the Inquisition camps that you unlocked in the regions).

Apart from that, it had mostly great to okay characters (except for Sera), and the main story was good (main game) to amazing (Trespasser). ME3 character's lived from being good in ME1 or ME2, the new characters were a mixed bag. Javik was good, James was okay, and EDI would have been much better with another body. And it's antagonists were a lot more lame than Inquisition's antagonist. And of course, the overarching story was much better crafted than the giant fail of the ME3 story. So I hope they take the successful parts of Inquisition (mainly characters and narration) and combine them with the good parts of the previous ME games (combat, sci-fi setting, characters again), to make Andromeda great (again).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zzulu posted:

My number one hope for Mass Effect 4 is getting to gently caress all the alien species this time

All of them.

At the same time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Moola posted:

hes a big hunky man so no

:wrong:

Blizzard's Night Elves are pretty hunky.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zzulu posted:

It can not possibly get more generic than that guy

Random white man with buzzed hair, no distinct features

That's true, but you can make your own Ryder anyway.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drifter posted:

Nah man, you've got stockholm syndrome or whatever. DA2 was SO loving POORLY DONE that anything in that game that's not literally poo poo dribbling down your leg will seem fun or even enjoyable by comparison.

And looking back, you only THINK you remember liking it.

The rivalry thing was the best companion mechanic, because now you didn't need to suck a character's dick to get the most out of them/prevent them from betraying or abandoning you/etc.

It's also nice that Hawke just wanted to survive and wasn't the big prophesied or destined hero.

Other than that, the game was one of the most poorly done major games I've ever played, and despite the few good ideas, I never replayed it.

Alain Post posted:

It's clearly the best Bioware game ever, and is the best game in the series by virtually every metric except for Mass Effect 3 having more + cooler guns in it.

ME:A is going to be trash so I'm just going to buy it as a dating simulator.

Baldur's Gate 2 is still better than ME2. :colbert:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nevets posted:

Turians are of avian descent, right? Does that make them subject to Bird Law?

What's a Bird Law?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Alain Post posted:

remember when the bad guy said that his motives were beyond mere mortal comprehension, that was incredible and extremely interesting

This can never work out. Either it won't be explained, with leaves fans bitching for getting no resolution. Or it will be explained, but since writers are simple humans the explanation will never fulfill the criteria of being beyond mortal comprehension. Which leaves to fans complaining about it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drifter posted:

Huh, I could have sworn they were part of the main story branch but I guess I only thought that because who in their right mind would ever not do additional story quests?

Cool. I guess in Inquisition they were also optional? I suppose I always thought it was just the sex that was optional, and the character building story stuff was requisite. :shrug:

I take back my previous concerns, thanks guys.

They were optional in Inquisition, yes. Most were pretty good, and could have some serious consequences later. But you could beat the game without ever doing them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Thor-Stryker posted:

I don't even remember Inquisition side-character quests, Varric's was about destroying X Red Lyrium veins and getting something. And Blackwall's was about finding X lost armor pieces.

Seriously lovely quests all around in DAI.

At least DA2 had the unreliable narrator quest for Varric's stuff.

No, that's not true. Those were the optional-optional quests just to improve their opinion of your Inquisitor. Varric's companion mission was dealing with Bianca (his girlfriend, not his crossbow), while Blackwall's mission was him vanishing and getting into the Tom Rainier business. Iron Bull's mission was the choice between the Qun and the Chargers, Cassandra's mission was to investigate the Lord Seeker, Dorian's mission was dealing with his father, etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I do appreciate the Freespace love, because it was a very good game, in both gameplay and story.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So, anyone else never noticing bad animation? I was watching the trailers and it didn't bother me at all, but now that it was pointed out, it's easy to see. The comparison with the Witcher is especially damning. But I just never notice this. When I was younger and watched the Naruto anime and afterwards went to the forums to discuss an episode, people would point out bad animation, and I always wonder why it never registered for me.

Anyway, I'm much more concerned with stupid elfroot gathering 2.0! That poo poo needs to go, I can't believe that they would bring over this lovely mechanic from Inquisition.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

thrilla in vanilla posted:

REALLY bad animation, like that gun grab thing, registers fast but honestly I don't notice that kind of thing for the most part. ME1 had some dumb and bad animations but they were almost charming in their own stilted sort of way. Like the haymaker

Oh no, the gun grab thing bothered me a bit. Probably because it was a dumb move that shouldn't have succeeded in the first place. I was more speaking about the facial animation in this particular instance.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Even Tyranny has terrible facial hair. The game is really great otherwise, but I don't get why it's so difficult to make decent beards!

(Tyranny is also one of the games that profits immensely from having quite a lot of dialogue not voice acted.)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Chomp8645 posted:

I haven't played Tyranny yet but isn't that basically the premise?

Pretty much. There are four main paths you can do, in one you can basically be lawful evil/lawful neutral, two paths are for chaotic evil/neutral evil, and one is for some variations of good. I like the game a lot, but it's more or less an Infinity Engine game, not comparable to Mass Effect or even the newer Dragon Age.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

exquisite tea posted:

It's even stranger than labeling Mass Effect as "pulp" sci fi when it's the most mainstream, we really liked Star Trek you guys sci fi video game of all time. Even more than any Star Trek games.

It was the most Babylon 5 video game of all time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zzulu posted:

it would actually be really cool if you could romance the villain

You could in Inquisition.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zzulu posted:

Well I have no memory of that at all, shows how much i pay attention to games

I just remember Solas being some elfgod or whatever near the end of the game and he did something to Flemeth

You probably didn't play the Trespasser DLC, which is basically the true ending of Inquisition.

Anyway, Solas is the real villain and DA4 will probably be us trying to stop him from causing an apocalypse.

I really hope that Bioware don't pull anything like Trespasser again. I loved the DLC, but letting your game end halfway through the climax and selling the real ending in a DLC is super lovely.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lycus posted:

That happens in DAI? I thought that's only a DA2 thing. But they all meld together in my memory anyway.

This can happen, but it's very rare. It's absolutely not like DA2, where this was the norm. In at least 95% of all fights you will only fight the enemies you see in the beginning. Except for the rifts, where respawning is part of the encounter design.

nerdz posted:

Wow, I was fighting some random mobs and the respawn is just so distracting, feels like a bad Korean MMO. Nothing like fighting a giant spider and having three more spawning on top of you.

Yep, uninstalling.

It's a shame. If you like the Dragon Age world, then Inquisition is a pretty good game. Just don't make the mistake to get too much into the useless MMO-like sidequests.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pattonesque posted:

Release date is March 21

http://x.ea.com/28373

quote:

I’m excited to announce that Mass EffectTM: Andromeda will be launching in North America on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 and beginning Thursday, March 23, 2017 in Europe.

gently caress you, Bioware. There's no reason that we have to wait 2 days before getting this game, too! I can understand releasing it in North America first and then in Europe the next day, because fail US gamers would otherwise cry like little bitches when Europeans inevitably finish the game before them. But tacking on an extra day? Why??

It's progress in that we had to wait 3 days for Inquisition, but it's still poo poo.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

nerdz posted:

I'm actually surprised at how much poo poo is impossible to you in ME3 if you didn't load a previous save. Almost all of the best possible ends for some missions so far can't be done if you don't load a previous save with the perfect decisions.

I hope andromeda is a self contained game, meant to have no further sequels.

This is no longer a problem. With the success of the Dragon Age Keep, I bet you will never have to import a save again.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Milky Moor posted:

Sounds like emergency testing.

Or one could take them at their word and believe that it's a long tradition? :shrug:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Linx posted:

Taking home your work over the holidays isn't a cool perk though

If you are an animator and spent the whole development process animating butts, you might want to actually play the game sometimes. So it just may be a cool perk after all.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

wouldn't that make her Sera, though? The absolute worst case scenario?

Krem was wholly inoffensive, he had nothing to do with Sera.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drifter posted:

I'm sure they'll have mroe things as side candy. It's hard to say there'll be more or less at the moment.

So I've modded Dragon Age Inq to make it waste my time less, and one time all my team died except for Cassandra. I was fighting a couple bad dudes with her sword and board and it was just so loving boring. Doing damage 100 HP at a time against like four baddudes took forever. My archer inquisitor is much more fun to play as.

Is combat with a sword just that boring? She'd pretty much maxed out her sword skills. Good lord. Playing that way for ten minutes was enough to make sure that I never die again.

I take it you did not take combat roll and the talents that improve it? If so, you are doing it wrong. Both from a DPS perspective and from a fun perspective.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nah, that was Unreal.

The character creator in Andromeda would probably be comparable to Inquisition.

As long as there is normal lighting, I am okay with that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The only bad thing about Andromeda marketing is that it leads to this thread being made up of meta discussions of said marketing and ME3 ending discussions.

If they don't increase their Andromeda advertising before the release, it would be a worrying sign. But there's still time, and you shouldn't preorder video games anyway. And you can bet that they will release more info to the gaming press later. There's already a slow but steady stream to them, like Andromeda having the most lines of dialogue, having more fuckable crewmembers, etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So Andromeda will have "moderate impact nudity" and "strong impact sex", while Witcher 3 had "strong impact nudity" and "high impact sex", a step up in both categories. At least that means Bioware won't try to score points with the audience for having the most graphic sex ever. Hopefully they rather used the graphic design time to improve the facial animations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Waltzing Along posted:

Because it doesn't make sense to send people 600 years away when you have 99% of a galaxy left to explore. That's why.

If you open a new relay to explore more of the milky way, then you might get Rachni 2.0 coming out and launching a huge war. If you send people to another galaxy, then you are much less likely to be invaded by aliens in return.

And even if we accept your premise that it would make more sense to explore the close neighborhood, people often act irrational. Please remember that people told Columbus that he would starve on his way to India, because they knew the rough size of the Earth. He insead decided to believe in older, wrong estimates of a smaller Earth, and was only saved by the Americas being on his route. A privately funded initiative may have people in charge who want to reach Andromeda just for braghing rights.

There's nothing wrong with going to Andromeda. The only thing that's wrong is that the devs have to go with this plot since the dumb ME3 ending burned the milky way setting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

isk posted:

THE ARCHON is a lovely Halo retread name for a villain, but at least it isn't Corypheus. It's easy to shorten that to Cory, which is, like, the least threatening name ever.

Archon is Greek and means ruler, it's not an invention of Halo.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Bioware can be weird about arms. I remember that the best armor in DA2 suddenly gave your character super muscular arms for no reason.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm excited to play a character who is not a freakish giant but is actually as tall (short) as I am.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

It's Bioware. It's a save-the-universe deal.

Counterpoint: DA2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Happy Valentine's Day, from EA

So BroRyder is not unusually short after all.