Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

both of these decisions seem really weird.
I assumed the mission would be to flee the reapers but i guess even that much of a mention is too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

8one6 posted:

What I never got was why Casey Hudson & Mac Walters were so intent in blowing up the IP they had spent a decade building. There's an interview I remember where one of them said that was a benefit of working on original IP instead of another Star Wars game. Like, literally any other ending than the one we got would have left the series with enough good will to be a perpetual money printing franchise for the next 20 years. It could have been Bioware'sr space-based elder scrolls, Even the exact Me:A we got would have just been seen as "well, they can't all be ME2" but we would have all laughed at the memes and played Andromeda 2 in 3-5 years time but no, they had to "artistic vision" all over it and now it's a joke.
I don't thing they had any intention of ending the franchise, they just went in a room during final crunch and wanked out a 'deep' ending that stomped all over the things people actually enjoyed about their games (including the agency the player thought they had over the story). In their arrogance they pissed off the players, it wasn't deliberate, it was hubris and poor judgement.

And while it's clear there were a lot of problems with Andromeda, I think one of the reasons this Bold New Galaxy was so underwhelming was because it was clearly chosen to sidestep the end of me3, as much as it was for other reasons.

As people have commented, there's so much potential in that premise, but when you get there it's just more. . mass effect. A crime planet, no first contact, all the old races already established, ect, ect, ect, points me to the idea that they saw the premise primarily as a way to do mass effect again, but free of the implications- and attached drama- of the end of me3.

Sure, there are also logistical reasons- a first contact scenario would be more work than more of the same. And they were clearly absurdly under resourced. But there's a lot they could have done that they just didn't.

Milky Moor posted:

When I was younger, I used to be really annoyed that the Babylon 5 TV series ended with the destruction of the titular space station. I wanted more stories set in that world! Later, as I grew older, I realised that I was wrong and I respected that the writer of Babylon 5 was so willing to say, that's it, the story is over.
They did a bunch of crappy spinoffs and telemovies (one of which was good). Also that sendoff was originally filmed for the end of season 4, then they got renewed and had to stretch a bunch of stuff over a whole other season.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 2, 2017

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
They coulda just had them be 'the Rebels' or Cerebrus if the issue was having council races as foes. They could have their own Arc or whatever, their settlements could have been brand new and built on the smoldering remains of alien homes.
No doubt their limited resources played a huge role, and an actual first contact ect game would have been more challenging, but not impossible.

They might even have come up with a smaller, tighter, more viable game if it was about, for instance, surviving the trip, fighting off a rebel faction, fighting some ancient robots sure, all while having the very first first contact in the new galaxy. People might have still bitched about it, but probably not nearly as much.

(edit) and I don't think it was built initially to match the lack of resources, from the sound of it they partially restarted several times, and got caught in some serious over-reach. The story that resulted was the result of that sure, but that was later on.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 2, 2017