Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Nah, what they took away from Witcher 3 was the most superficial thing they could. In some quests you use your Witcher senses scanner to find clues.

I'm also enjoying this dumb game so far, but I would love a game that was this, without an intelligent enemy. Just fly around space, and scan planets, then go down, and rarely be some ancient astronauts to some bronze age aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Palpek posted:

That would be funny because crafting is one of the biggest flaws in TW3.

Clue vision mode existed for years in Batman and AC games though. Even then it's probably the second biggest flaw in TW3 after crafting.

:psyduck:

Wichter 3 crafting was great because you only needed to do it once. YOu didn't need to go get everything every time you needed a potion.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Decius posted:

Oh yeah, that was even worse. I never remember that, because the first thing I did was install a no-weight mod. Don't make a Open World game, that's heavy on crafting and then severely limit what I can carry. Witcher 3, ME:A - same poo poo, different style in this regard. Even HZD and Zelda had too tight a limit, although it generally was far more workable.

I haven't played a lot yet, so I haven't hit a carry limit, but in a game where you have a space ship, I'm not sure why there can't be a personal inventory and an orbital inventory. I don't need three pistols on the planet, so the other two should be in the armory on the ship while I'm shootmans.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Serf posted:

From what I can tell the Heleus Cluster is supposed to be about as big as the multi-system areas you drive the Normandy around in in ME2/3. The fact that it looks like a galaxy is confusing, but its actually pretty small apparently.

The whole thing seems to be orbiting that black hole.

I like looking at the black hole it's purdy :kimchi:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AlternateAccount posted:

That makes zero sense at any level.

Why does it matter? Just fly your spaceship around

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just drive a spaceship and shoot spacemans you sperglords

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Is there a Hard Sci-Fi space game, because you nerds should go play that instead. I never hear anyone arguing about why there are walking mushrooms and fire breathing turtle-mans in Super Mario Brothers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I also got a side quest to kill space whale poachers and I feel like I'm setting myself up for disappointment by expecting to see a space whale after I do the menial task

You can see it if you just look down at the ice when you get that quest SMDH

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arglebargle III posted:

Sounds cool do you think they will ever implement other game modes or just Survival Mode 4eva?

Once in a while I get something different, like Assasination, or Hack, but yeah, those are 2 per game

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh poo poo I've been schooled.

spoilers! I haven't found the water planet yet :whitewater:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dan Didio posted:

The latter. It's very pointless and time consuming.

I dunno, I think the planet scanning is the best part of the game :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Decius posted:

I wouldn't be so sure. Frostbite seems terrible at rendering a large area with many complex objects. There are loading screens everywhere as soon as you have more complex objects than "dunes" and every large space is composed out of simple desert like environments (it's probably no coincidence that the planet that features the most complex outdoor - Havarl - is also very small and the one where you never see farther than a hundred meters and half of the levels is either hidden above you or below you).The superslow doors of Kadara Port and the hangar area of the Tempest as well as the tiny areas on the Nexus aren't exactly a coincidence.

Having a conversation on the observation deck with a complex item in the space outside can drive my framerate from 60+ to the mid-20ies.

I wonder if this is why I keep having issues with loading on Voled

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheCenturion posted:

There's no justification for 'Meet X in Kadara port. Return to Tempest. Read email. Go right back to Kadara port to do the next bit.'

IT's a minor annoyance, but why does the Tempest need to take off every time you go back on it? Sometimes I just want to change my shirt

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rinkles posted:

The Ebon Hawk worked that way.

But I didn't have to land in port, then get a message to go check my email in the Ebon Hawk. I guess email only works in space in the ME universe

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Haledjian posted:

Yeah, it would have been really cool to see Podromos out the window or whatever. I'm guessing it's probably a memory issue--the Tempest interior is pretty heavy, so they can't show it AND a planet surface at the same time.

I think I remember in ME1 you could go inside the Normandy without leaving the planet, but you couldn't see outside, right?

Eh, I figure the front window is just a display screen anyway, and it's not like you need to do a full render, just a flat backdrop with like one thing that is "3D" much like when you're at an asteroid

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

I've got 104 loot boxes for singleplayer now.

How many guns is that going to make

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GenericOverusedName posted:

Those numbers are physical sales, which somehow is still a thing? But who the gently caress knows what the digital numbers are

I impulse bought the thing, and I didn't want to wait until the next day to play, so I ran across the street to Walmart. I still had to wait an hour and a half for it to install :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Android Blues posted:

I can't get over that it's called the Scourge. It's such an intensely, intensely stupid name that I can't believe for a second any future society would look at an unexplained physical phenomenon and be like, "oh no! The Scourge!" instead of calling it like, the Gupta-Biggs Phenomenon or some goofy mass media name like MegaStorm Andromeda.

MAGASTORM!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Android Blues posted:

Yeah but at least someone else from millions of years ago named them, and the name "the Reapers" is specifically mythological. In Mass Effect 1 people have mostly heard about Reapers, but they think they're some made up ancient superstition, like Krampus or the Boogeyman. In that context, their having a grandiose name makes sense.

The Scourge is named by scientists on an exploration mission who see an unexplained energy phenomenon and decide to name it like peasants who don't understand germ theory naming a plague. It's insanely silly.

Now I want a game about fighting a Boogeyman or Boogeymen

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

All the dumbest scientists went to Andromeda.

Dumb scientists need the most attention

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sneakyfrog posted:

i too wouldnt mind a john wick/mass effect crossover

To be honest, I really like the shoot-mans aspect of ME, and I wish that it was part of better games

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GenericOverusedName posted:

The evil space coral had been kicking their asses enough that calling it a damned scourge makes a bit of sense. I'm assuming they didn't name it right after jumping in and going 'wow look at that cloud, let's call it something dumb', but this is a mass effect game so that could have been the case.

They have a list of what to call things, and "Scourge" was next.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Bidness posted:

Another meme fixed.

One more game I will never finish now

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked that part of Fallout 4! I created entire towns, revived a dead wasteland, all for a singular purpose: building me a god drat laser sight.

You are what is wrong with gamers

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheCenturion posted:

"We're fine, just lost. But nobody cares about Quarians, so if we said that, nobody would come. But we know how you hero types work. Hence, vague warnings of ominous mysteries. Anywho, thanks for the directions and can of space gas. See you at the nexus!"

I'm surprised there were no Quarians in this one. I'm pretty sure lots of people had nerd boners for Tali

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lightning Knight posted:

Agreed.

@RBA Starblade like I said, I would've been fine with city management as part of that first DLC or a mod, something you could opt into, but it being a required part of the game that is the only way to engage with settlements is like 90% I haven't brought myself to go back and actually finish the game out. It's just a really, really frustrating system to force on people who don't want to deal with it every play through.

Also if they don't bring Geth back they're actually the worst game dev ever. Geth own and are the best. :colbert:

I'm sure there are people who want to put their dicks in some Geth too

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SgtSteel91 posted:

They're going to get their own dlc

The saddest romance option, you can only hope for a handjob at best out of that one

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

Yeah I'm really disappointed in how boring a lot of these people are. Cora? Boring. Peebee? Boring. Vetra? Sadly boring, but grows on me (but boring). Liam? Boring. Gil? who the gently caress is Gil?

He's so boring they make him hang out in the back of the Tempest

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tooterfish posted:

I know who Gil is!

He's the guy Kello says wants to talk to me every time I step on the Bridge.

Kello always tells me Jaal or Cora want to talk to me, and I'm just like "pssh" whatever

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fojar38 posted:

Nobody ever talks to ol' Gil

I played poker with Gil at the Vortex

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kallo cools off and reconciles with Gil later if you side with Gil.

With his perfect memory issues it was understandably hard for him to see reason.

Yeah, Kallo is like a lizard with aspergers

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Admiral Ray posted:

Gil's the guy that thinks it's a great idea to mention that he's an aimless layabout as his introduction to you.

"Hi I'm your space mechanic and I don't have anything to live for."

I can relate to that though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:same:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ashpanash posted:

I don't believe you. Plain and simple. You've not had poo poo where the on-screen prompt constantly spams "YOU CAN'T SUMMON THE NOMAD HERE" while you're in the Nomad? You haven't had creatures locked in a t-model? You haven't had conversations where the camera decides to focus on the floor instead of the shot/reverse-shot they were going for? You somehow got the only copy of the game without a cornucopia of bugs?

His uncle works for Nintendo, so he gets to play the bug-free versions

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Playing on the PlayStation 4, I've learned to never die on Voeld, your saves never reload

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

You can tell they had so much more planned for biotics and the consequences thereof but it all got tossed in the shitter when EA came in and Mac Walters got his bald hands on everything.

It really is sad that once EA buys up everything, all games will be bad forever

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

Better gameplay, faces are more realistically tired.

Turn your monitor on

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pattonesque posted:

you know I just want them to zoom in on the NPCs in every conversation

if they stick to the game camera you never get a sense of what any of these people look like which means you're less likely to remember anything about them which means you'll care less about the thing they want you to do

like shoot I remember minor NPCs in the original DA and ME games because the camera gave them the cinematic treatment. I don't remember anyone from ME:A and I just finished it

To be honest, they all share the same face

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

remusclaw posted:

I like the armed guards all over the nexus and the human ark who occasionally just feel the need to just pop a Slav squat.

WEll, I imagine a lot of Sov Cits were on the arcs, so it makes sense they wanna play space cowboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

Liam generally doesn't get to leave the ship.

:same: I mean he can't even stay clothed on the ship, why would I want to take someone like that with me?