Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
This game should have full-on metroidvania elements where you need the varia suit to go to the lava planet or the double jump to reach high-up cave entrances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I recently beat Witcher 3 and all its DLC for the first time and all in all it's probably my favorite existing RPG period. It's also an incredibly unabashed and lovingly detailed masculine power fantasy.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Lt. Danger posted:

Witcher 3 is good but I think I like Witcher 2 better.

Really? Why?

For my money each Witcher game is better than the last. 2 probably has sharper and better-balanced mechanics than 3 but I found 3's story and characters a lot more compelling on the whole. (Also, for my money, 2 probably treats women the worst)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

hampig posted:

2 would have a lot better pacing if you literally can't help yourself and must visit every unexplored icon on the map. I'm with you in enjoying 3 more otherwise. I used to think that Witcher 3 not being a 'true' open-world game was a weakness, now I think of it as a mission and quest focused game that happens to mostly take place on the same map and it's a strength.

I can't help myself, and I liked visiting all the ?s on the map except for the ones in the waters of Skellige. Because, holy gently caress, sirens is to Witcher 3 as wraiths is to Pillars of Eternity.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Drifter posted:

Did you guys think the Dragon Fighting(tm) in Dragon Age INquisition was particularly strategic, or did you think it was just a long drawn out war of attrition between you and a damage sponge that hopped around and spat fire?

They kind of approached being strategic, but I just couldn't trust my party members to do the things I told them to do enough to make it really click. If DA:I played like DA:O, or like Dark Souls, or like a modern MMO (with party members you just couldn't ever control in the last two cases), then there would've been room for really challenging encounters, but as is the controls were just janky enough that a greater emphasis on dodging aoes or timing cooldowns would've just been frustrating.

That was my number 1 complaint with DA: I (which I liked, and beat completely) in general - the actual gameplay contained juuuust enough instances of unreliable party control, buggy animation, and skill antisynergy that I couldn't unreservedly enjoy the challenge presented by the only-heal-via-potions combat system. I literally would've preferred DA2's control scheme; at least in that miserable pile, my party members would immediately follow any orders I issued to them.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It's not that companion AI was bad (although you did get cases of e.g. Iron Bull refusing to loving use his self-heal unless you leapt into his body and used it for him manually) but that you couldn't count on any orders you gave in tactics mode being followed immediately or consistently whether or not you turned the AI off. I honestly would've loved pausing and assigning individual orders for every last combat encounter in an effort to perfectly manage enemies and never, ever take HP damage but I just couldn't count on my guys to do the things.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

Just realized Sheppard commits tons of sexual harassment and should be sued into oblivion

My understanding is that the Jacob romance is such textbook workplace harassment that it could show up in a training video.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Alain Post posted:

remember when the bad guy said that his motives were beyond mere mortal comprehension, that was incredible and extremely interesting

That's because the Reapers' motivation was that they wanted to gently caress and he was going to tell you when you were older.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Since it has explorable environments and separate cooldowns, Andromeda will be either the best or second best Mass Effect game.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It was the best because it had separate cooldowns and explorable environments. Unfortunately, it never received the copious quality of life improvements MEs 2 and 3 enjoyed... until now.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Alain Post posted:

I also thought the separate cooldowns were poorly balanced in ME1 because at some point you could pretty much just keep cycling powers constantly and have basically every enemy be disabled by some biotic/tech power forever.

Yeah, it ruled. And eventually you had enough newtons or whatever on your Lift power that you could even pick up those geth tanks with it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

All the stuff about synthetic uprisings is post-hoc rationalization for the Reaper desire to reproduce.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Honestly, as an ending for a sprawling sci fi epic in which the fate of galaxy is at stake, humanity building an experimental superweapon using salvaged plans that turns out to give them a direct line to the central intelligence controlling all the reapers, and humans proceeding to either kill it to destroy all the reapers, exploit it to take psychic command of the reapers, or secure its cooperation in augmenting all existing life with biocybernetics such that humans and the reapers are forever after the same species, is pretty good.

The problem ME3 had was that it couldn't be assed to foreshadow this even a little bit. If you've got the Leviathan DLC it goes a little bit smoother (I did not have that DLC, but I saw my friend play through with it recently), but really you should've gotten to visit the Catalyst at multiple points throughout the game, listened to scientists speculate that its function was sending some kind of signal or energy blast through the mass relay network, maybe even gotten to speak with the ai living inside the catalyst repeatedly and used dialogue options to either torture information out of it or ultimately persuade it to cooperate with/uplift you.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Actually, my secret hope is that the green ending of ME3 is canon, and after a game or two in which you bring peace and prosperity throughout Andromeda you must deal with the latest and greatest threat: the machine-men from your original galaxy have come to forcibly assimilate Andromeda into their glittering utopia.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah it's almost as if they left the resolution of a major 3 arc and game storyline to 2 retards in a broom closet the night before pressing it.

Oh for sure. You really get the feeling that the Catalyst stuff was thought up a week prior to release and just jammed in there.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

So wait, can you only slot three active skills at a time?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Yep. Looks like there's three passives per tree this time though.

This is horseshit! Even DAI's eight actives felt constrictive towards the middle or end of the game.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

You also have your squadmates, and it appears that you can respec the active slots at any time.

It looks like they're making it so you can change your class/skills to suit your needs for encounters or to just mix up the gameplay.

This also isn't Dragon Age combat, where you have to rely on skills. It's a shooter, and your skills work alongside that.

Okay but I'm gonna need like six active slots minimum, come on. I'm sure they could just use what they've got but add an alt-mode that pops up when you hold RT or something.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Zore posted:

Not if you're a space-wizard.

Throw, pull, Warp, Singularity, Barrier, shockwave were all used in basically every combat in ME3. Paring it down makes a lot of cooler situational powers idiotic to take. It also makes mixing and matching restrictive as gently caress.

Man this is the worst loving news. Hell I like ME3 a lot and Im going to be waiting on this game now because seriously fuuuuuuuck that.

I've always thought that, properly speaking, it's the engineer that's the space wizard (they get fireball, chain lightning, summon familiar...) while the adept is the space psion, but I feel the exact same way. It's just plain cruel to finally give us powers with separate cooldowns and then drastically cut down how many can be used together.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Android Blues posted:

I thought the eight ability limit in DAI was actually good for focusing you towards unique builds and limiting bloat. I remember in DA2 and DAO I ended up with bunches of skills that were on my bar but were functionally useless. You have to make some tough choices sometimes, but it ends up feeling as though your character has a sort of combat theme and is good at specific things, which I liked.

It helps that almost all of the available abilities are powerful, viable choices that have various points of synergy with other abilities, so you can make cool builds built around several weird powers that work well together.

Eight is a lot different from three, though.

My main gripe with DAI's eight slot limit was that you had to spend one of them to get access to your focus bar. The new special ability/button combo they introduced in Trespasser is how stuff like Mark of the Rift should've worked all along.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

You should be able to just give up your grenade or your weapon or whatever and use those buttons for more active powers.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ME1's codex looked like "hard sci fi" to me because of all the attention paid to charge buildup and heat management, but this never came up in game.