Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah me too. I'll shamefully (not shamefully) read most any drat old sci fi with an interesting setting :shobon:

So I forget how ME3 single player goes, is Adept or Vanguard more of the funhaver class and also how do Paragon/Renegade work in that one WRT the endgame? I remember in ME1 and 2 you had to hardcore blue/red to get all the scenes and such

Also is there a good 'backstory' generator for saves somewhere
vanguard vanguard vanguard

masseffectsaves.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

Thank you kindly :tipshat:

I'll have to look up when I get home if there's a way to play with controller on PC. I remember wanting that.
Most likely. It was pretty clear DAI was meant to be played with a gamepad on PC and it sounds like they're pulling a lot from that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zore posted:

I'm guess ship 4 is Turians, or something off the wall like Hanar, and then there are Krogan hangers on because having an ark ship of Krogan would make zero loving sense.

It also gives them an easy way not to have to model Geth, Quarians, Hanar, Elcor, Volus etc.
One of the trailers had obviously Turian legs in it. But Talimancers will flip their loving poo poo so my guess is a Team Dextro ship since they could share food.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

marshmallow creep posted:

Technically, it's not, since that's just her nickname, but I have yet to see anything that clarifies what her actual name is.

Filling out the application for the multiplayer beta forced me to look up my N7 rating, which suggested that I'm... in the top 13% of multiplayer players for ME3? I always though I was solidly middling.
I'm in the top 5% for N7 score and the top 1% for achievements :shepicide:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

I played ME3 again some last night and this morning, and I found myself getting bored again as soon as I got to the Citadel for the first time.

At this point I should just accept I'm never actually going to finish the game and go watchvideos for all the DLC or something. I don't know what it is about that game that fails to attach to me, in theory it's everything I want, and I totally devoured ME and ME2.
If you haven't at least made it through Tuchanka, try and suffer enough to get there. It's pretty good and has a nice :black101: moment. Also a very :cry: moment too. And yeah, Citadel is awesome. But if you just can't stomach it I'm sure all the relevant stuff is on YT somewhere.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

the good fax machine posted:

I just realied that I never even completed the Citadel DLC way back when. I remember doing the part in the apartment, but I was pretty burnt out with the game by that point and never picked it back up again. I should probably get on that.
Just getting the apartment and not doing all the crazy poo poo that comes afterwards? Yeah, do get on that because it starts getting real fun real quick.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Majestic posted:

Banshees would only sync kill in one of two modes though. They had their warping mode and their shooting mode, and only one had sync kills enabled. Once you knew that it wasn't so bad.
Or abusing the ramp/stairs thing. I loved repeatedly face tanking a banshee on some stairs, only to have a pubbie try it on flat ground and get murdered :laugh:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The only things I have heard her say are so painfully generic I feel like sera would be an improvement just for having an actual personality. Then again, we know incredibly little.
I'm thinking blue Sera without the accent. However I'm one of the loving weirdos that actually likes Sera so I may not be horribly put off!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Hank Morgan posted:

I make a point of running away from him in the dream sequences. Eventually the game gives up and advances the cutscene.
Well I know what I'm doing my next playthrough!

Tirranek posted:

Sure. I really enjoyed that briefing trailer and am really keen on the series having a chance to start from scratch. A lot of what made ME1 so good was the sense of getting to know the world and the space around you, and if Andromeda can bring that feeling back with mechanics and aesthetics that aren't bland, then :neckbeard:
I'm excited to drive the new, more mobile Mako up some cliffs. I hope you can still run enemies over with it, that was the best in ME1. Ramming geth armatures into the lava never got old.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xad posted:

Whenever people say mass effect 2 is pretty much perfect, I always have to wonder if I missed something when fighting the giant terminator final boss thing. Because as a vanguard, you can't charge him, you can't really shotgun him either, so you get this lovely climactic flight where you gradually pistol the final boss to death. :geno:
Have you met our lord and savior, Jesus Christ the Cain?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

Right but why are they making a giant skeleman rather than another cuttlefish. It also illuminates the problem with their philosophy since they're all robots made out of organics but the idea of an organic with a robot arm never occurred to them in any fashion.
They make the "core" of the ship look like whatever race they've slurpeed and then build the cuttlefish around it.

...yeah

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Seemlar posted:

They got to the point where they had to remove holstering a gun from the game because their shambling zombie of an engine was choking, moving to all kinds of different character model animations probably wouldn't have gone nicely
They're using a new engine now at least.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zzulu posted:

they'd have A.I V.I. mass effect field propulsion wheelchairs in teh future
FTFY

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

homullus posted:

It also allows for "Reapers? What are those??" questions in dialogue to make it "accessible" to "newcomers."
:10bux: The Reapers are never mentioned in ME:A because they don't want to touch that poo poo with a 10ft pole ever again.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

homullus posted:

Maybe I should have said an oversleeping Ryder gives them an opportunity to do "[Thing from ME 1-3]? What's that??" dialogue to make the game "accessible" to "newcomers."
It's the first in a new series, we're all newcomers technically. Again, if they're smart the words reapers, reaping, or indoctrination will never appear anywhere in the game because that's a huge pile of poo poo they don't want to be stepping in.

e: ok, I know this is Bioware but I think they (and EA especially) have learned at least some lessons

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Drifter posted:

He was their big flagship gay character, too. It was sad. He had a super small head, like, wtf?

You explained it well. Thanks.
She DID look really greasy, though, didn't she?

I will say that DAInq's styalized art on their cards or whatever was shockingly cool.

Counterpoint: ME1's Crisco Kaiden

And yes, the tarot cards were really cool, they made an entire deck but it costs an obscene amount of money since they were super-ultra collectible.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Skippy McPants posted:

I remember the poo poo-fit people pitched when they learned they wouldn't be able to customize Hawke.
But you can :confused:

And to throw in my .02 DA2 isn't the worst game ever made, not by a long shot. It did some things right (rivalry system, faster combat, good characters) and some things wrong (pretty much everything else). I can see where people who read reviews and bought it at launch for full price would feel really ripped off - I got it used at GS for $10 and the guy working the counter threw in some kind of special edition because "nobody buys this anyway." However Bioware seemed to learn some lessons from this, and hopefully Mac Walters has also learned about his fuckups and will learn that collaborating and bouncing ideas off of other people isn't a bad thing.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Blastedhellscape posted:

If we don't see any elcor, volus, hanar, or batarians and vorcha (I'm sure the Andromeda galaxy will have its own version of space orc and space goblins) it'll be no big loss. Would be a little tragic if the next game has no krogans, though.
Krogans were already mentioned as being in the game. Some of the first leaked stuff showed a Krogan squadmate.

CottonWolf posted:

Volus were woefully underused in the initial trilogy. It really disappoints me that they probably won't appear in this one at all.
Hopefully at the least Volus pinball is an option in MP.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

My perspective has always been that despite the enormously hacky way it got there, Control was a legitimately interesting endstate for the galaxy at the end of the Mass Effect series and I would have preferred to see them attempt to deal with that setting rather than this slavish, uninspired, and most likely meme-filled rendition we're about to see in Andromeda.

BexGu posted:

I'm afraid the current batch of writers would have pulled a Blizzard and "corrupted" a control Shepard.

I mean it COULD be interesting if the plot was trying save a techno-demigod that was slowly loosing its humanity/growing indifferent to organic species either from within/outside sources but after ME3 I don't see that turning out well.
Yeah, some kind of God Emperor of Dune the Milky Way storyline could be really neat. I understand them wanting to focus on things other than Shepard, but that could be done by making the first game post ME3 be about the remainder of your crew trying to fix the hosed up galaxy left behind. Entire systems of government are in shambles, populations are starving, and there will always be groups taking advantage of such a situation to enrich/empower themselves at the expense of others. The Reap-ards would be running around but they're really only good on a macro scale, not getting food to a colony outpost or taking out a local warlord. Make it so you can switch between major characters (you could make this the coop part - you and your BFF as Garrus/Wrex fixing the galaxy by shooting and headbutting your way through opposition) and tell the story that way.

Then you've got seriously PTSD'd Shepard now adjusting to being a machine god and she could start going off the rails. At some point the crew decides this poo poo ain't working and they plan to pull Shep back out. We've got clone Shepard as a thing, so maybe Cerberus has a few more stashed around. With TIM gone an already morally defunct group with apparently unlimited assets and a bunch of semi husked soldiers really goes off the rails so now you have to locate a new clone and somehow download Shep's consciousness back into a body (sure it's nutty but not out of place in the ME universe). After a whole bunch of poo poo you're successful and there you go, that gets you a living human Shep back, more adventures with the gang, and the opportunity to fix the dumb poo poo that's happened.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

Unfortunately with the changes to war assets I think it's literally impossible to have so few that you can get Liara killed, which is like the golden standard of "theoretically possible, but extremely difficult" crew kill fuckups.
Can't you have really lovely assets and run her to the beam?

e: I'm one of those saps who has enough assets from MP that I get the best ending even if I did nothing else :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pattonesque posted:

much like getting Shepard killed in the Suicide Mission you basically have to get the folks at the beam killed on purpose.

if you do anything extra at all in the base game they'll survive.
Where's Magimix when you need him for silly challenge runs?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pattonesque posted:

Hundreds of upset gamers protest Andromeda due to inexclusion of "EDDI" Tempest ship AI
ftfy

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mymla posted:

The best thing about preordering video games is that it makes nerds on the internet really mad.
I preordered the Deluxe Edition!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zzulu posted:

if I remember the monstrously gargantuan Mass Effect thread during ME3 launch, a lot of people were upset about the ending because it didn't give them a proper farewell to the characters (their waifus) and because it seemed really gloomy with the mass effect relays blowing up and splitting up the entire galactic community
What they should have done is make it so if you only played the 3rd game you get pretty much what we had pre-EC, but if you took the time to play all the games it increased your war score so that Shep survived (more detailed than "Shep takes a breath" you only got with Destroy/8k+ assets). Give long time players a payoff and encourage those who just picked up the series to do the whole trilogy. The EC turned it from an abrupt nonsensical ending to at least sort of a proper epilogue. Still kind of dumb and unsatisfying, but if you'd spent 100+ hours playing through all 3 games I don't think people were being overly entitled to feel like they deserved something better than what they got.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

thorsilver posted:

Should I just give up and get the PS3 version? That has all the DLC doesn't it? Would that still work on a used copy or is it download code bullshit?
Yeah, PS3 version has all the DLC except Arrival and the extra skins on it. It's on the disc so you don't need to download anything. I bought the trilogy for a friend in EU and it was retardedly expensive on the EU store and impossible to find a physical copy - might wanna create a US account and buy some gift cards on Amazon to pay for it and get it from the PS store. Ended up saving something ridiculous like $90 for buying him the trilogy that way.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

You can choose to destroy the Reapers once and for all, Commander Shepard, but know this: All memes, even the ones you think are really funny + share with your friends on Facebook all the time, will be destroyed as well.
A fair trade.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Moola posted:

she looked like a 14 year olds idea of a sexy robot lady and it was dumb as hell

Joker constantly perving on her made it even worse
Don't forget the modeled camel toe :gonk:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Crustashio posted:

Is any of the ME3 DLC actually worth it? About to start my replay of that but I haven't touched it since release.
It depends on what you're looking for. Citadel is considered the best by almost everyone as a nice goodbye letter to all the people you've picked up along the way. It also has the combat simulator, which is basically a SP version of MP. Leviathan is interesting and adds backstory to the reapers. Omega is almost all combat and Aria is the star of it so if you hate her it's completely skippable.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

Did you also know she plays Athyeta aka the Asari bartender aka Liara's other mom.
:aaa:

Though now that you say it I don't see how I didn't notice before.

DrNutt posted:

I love her absolutely crucial character in Destiny, the Premium Currency vendor. Truly a wise use of her acting talents.
Every now and then I play Destiny, and the first time I did after they added that I was running by and she said something. Cue my brain sort of short circuiting because it couldn't figure out what the gently caress Morrigan was doing there.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Vichan posted:

I'm pretty sure they force a romance on to you in one of the DLCs if you didn't romance anyone.
Nope, not at all. I did a no-romance run for my LP. However, if you flirt with a person/people who are romanceable (my lady elf was completely shameless in her pursuit of Cass and Dorian but for some reason they didn't go for it :downs: ) even a couple of times it can poo poo the bed and try to hard track you into one. That might have been patched though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

I always do Shadow Broker after returning to Ilium for Miranda's loyalty mission, so like about 2/3rds of the way through the game. Though it's amusing how you can just initiate it right away even without completing Liara's little sidequests, "Shepard help me track down the Shadow Broker whom I've been stalking for y-- actually nvm let's just go now."
I'm wondering if this is kind of a callback to 1 where you can recruit Liara after killing her mother and all that. "Yeah, the Protheans vanished due to ancient robots, your mom is dead and you missed everything" or just oversight. SB is known from 1 as being incredibly secretive, nobody knows who he/she is etc and then Cerberus, one of the most incompetent organizations in the galaxy somehow finds this big secret that STG/Spectres couldn't figure out?

Although the "This will take years to figure out" "No actually I have the info right here ps good to see you after 2 years" is funny either way.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ainsley McTree posted:

I will buy this on day 1 no matter how retarded it is tbqh

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

I'd get this on PC but all my friends who I played multiplayer with have Bones and never use PC so I guess I'll get the dumb bone edition and wait until the ultimate edition comes out on PC so I can play the version people have modded to hell and back.
Isn't Frostbite lovely for modding? I remember some issues in the DA:I thread about it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jeza posted:

Maybe, but black smear over eyes has been around as a thing in RPG character designers for ages.
Not just RPGs. Pris would like a word with y'all.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Drifter posted:

Mass Effect 3 keeps giving me loading screens about shooting swords out of people's hands and maybe their legs so they fall, but my Vanguard dash doesn't have anywhere near that kind of precision. Lame.
Well yeah, if you have to use a gun as a vanguard you're Doing It Wrong

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

Solas gave the mageguy the evil mcguffin at Flemeth's command so yes.

I don't blame you for not remembering it's like in a post credits stinger or something ridiculous like that.
Nah, Flemythal told him in the stinger "you done hosed up, son" and then he maybe killed her.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought that was because he hosed up her plan but I never played the DLC.
Doesn't come up in the DLC, she just tells him "you shouldn't have given Corypheus your orb." There's no mention of her having a plan. Then he possibly murders her.

At the end of Trespasser he tells you what his plan is, but doesn't say poo poo about Mythal, possibly because he possibly murdered her and nobody except you as the player, him, and a (possibly) dead Mythal know what happened at the end of the main game.

Lobok posted:

That sounds more fun...
I wish the Templar storyline had been better, and that the Venatori weren't such lovely enemies. Mages seem to fit the storyline more in an "oh gently caress" sort of way. Calpurnia is a better rival than Samson and Ser Barris is cool but beyond that they don't offer much. Also if you're running into Red Templars constantly you can get red lyrium drops to craft good runes. Venatori don't drop poo poo.

e: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Mass Effect: Andromeda - Let's talk about Inquisition

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 20, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jack2142 posted:

Jesus Christ, ME:A is probably going to have every other member of the human expedition be a secret Cerberus Agent just like loving Hydra infiltrating Shield.
Joke's on them, TIM shot himself in the head and it's 600 years later!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Reclaimer posted:

You know who is a good companion to run alongside Cassandra and Dorian? Sera
I wholeheartedly, unironically agree with this. Between the awkward hitting on Cass and the increasing bonding/snarkiness with Dorian you get some hilarious poo poo going on.

I wouldn't mind the 3+PC system DAI uses, but I imagine they'll use the same system from 2/3 so you can bind 1 power and give the follow/take cover/attack target for each squaddie which makes for smoother combat than ME1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Crummelhorn posted:

They should have made one of the lategame guns in 2 run off the overheat system, just to shut people up.
Well, they did get around to it in 3 finally.