Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
All these Odyssey screenshots really make me want to play the game just to walk around in the world, even if I'm not sure I'd actually like the game part of it.

I've been messing around with the photo editor in Forza Horizon 4 but it's tough getting settings that look good. It's really easy to devolve the picture into a blurry mess with too much shutter speed/aperture. Too little exposes the weaker non-car parts of the game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Your second last one with the VW looks pretty realistic. The Forza series gave up pretty quickly though on making hyper realistic looking visuals compared to that of say the GT series.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
AC Odyssey, so pretty

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
More AC: Odyssey, big surprise!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Now I have a fire mace, ho ho ho.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Totally loving FH4!!!

Built a Porsche 959 Group B rally car and because of what the 959 is actually classed as in the game I was mud track racing Ferraris and Jaguars. They did not do well.

I call this one the "Cranky British Nationalist-mobile"

I also have an AM Vulcan with a plate that reads "VBOMBER" that I'll get a shot of tonight

Is that on F150 Raptor because those are pretty much the only thing capable of beating my 7.2l twin turbo V8 Land Rover Defender and I see their rear end end all the time

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 13, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
You bet it is. It was my go to car in FH3 for offroad, and it's seeing similar use in this one.

What are your photo mode settings on that first picture? That looks really good.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

CascadeBeta posted:

You bet it is. It was my go to car in FH3 for offroad, and it's seeing similar use in this one.

What are your photo mode settings on that first picture? That looks really good.

Yeah the "NERF THIS" on the back of the F150 is genius.

As for the photo settings I have no clue because I just play with and tweak them till it looks good then I snap the pic. On the first pic I did try and position the camera so it was more or less like someone with an actual camera leaning over the wall to get a good shot. I would suggest playing with the exposure settings. too high and it will look washed out no matter what other settings you have set.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 13, 2018

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm not really into cars/racing game but man Forza looks sweet.

I finished AC: Odyssey last night, it makes me want to go back and finish Origins for more photo mode time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

More AC Odyssey! Why not!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does Odyssey have that 100% CPU usage thing Origins supposedly had?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It honestly seems just as CPU heady as Origins, but nobody seems to care?

Edit: Maybe more people finally upgraded their 2700Ks?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 14, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

exquisite tea posted:

More AC Odyssey! Why not!

Some pretty heavy rasterization on those sails. Is that as visible in-game as in this screen shot?
The game looks marvellously good, but that effect looks a lot back in the 90's when graphics cards didn't have enough colors to represent a picture so they used raster patterns to do their Goraud shading. Tie-Fighter springs to mind. Wouldn't have expected it on a modern GPU. Did you use any particular graphics settings?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 14, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Some pretty heavy rasterization on those sails. Is that as visible in-game as in this screen shot?
The game looks marvellously good, but that effect looks a lot back in the 90's when graphics cards didn't have enough colors to represent a picture so they used raster patterns to do their Goraud shading. Tie-Fighter springs to mind.

Do you mean dithering? Every pixel in the screenshot is rasterized, that’s how it got there.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

The game looks marvellously good, but that effect looks a lot back in the 90's when graphics cards didn't have enough colors to represent a picture so they used raster patterns to do their Goraud shading. Tie-Fighter springs to mind. Wouldn't have expected it on a modern GPU. Did you use any particular graphics settings?

that rasterization is because of the camera angle making it translucent so the player can see through it; it's too close to the screen.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean dithering? Every pixel in the screenshot is rasterized, that’s how it got there.

Right, I got my terminology mixed up there.

I though dithering had gone the way of the dodo with 32-bit color.

Lunethex posted:

that rasterization is because of the camera angle making it translucent so the player can see through it; it's too close to the screen.

Ah, that seems right. The wheat field one is also dithered right near the camera.
So it's in order to avoid sharp edges where objects are "behind" camera.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 14, 2018

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Dithering things instead of fading them to avoid blocking the camera seems to be becoming a standard for some reason ; I know Mario Odyssey does it and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it elsewhere. I like the effect so that’s good for me

e: I googled a lil and found this
https://twitter.com/chriswade__/status/924071608976924673

big deal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 14, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shameless cross-post.

Lobok posted:

I also tried to do some of the shots from the opening of the 60s cartoon.

In the chill of night, at the scene of a crime

Like a streak of light, he arrives, just in time!

Take a look, overhead

I'm realizing only now I used the ESB and not the Chrysler Building. Oh well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

b_d posted:

Dithering things instead of fading them to avoid blocking the camera seems to be becoming a standard for some reason ; I know Mario Odyssey does it and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it elsewhere. I like the effect so that’s good for me

e: I googled a lil and found this
https://twitter.com/chriswade__/status/924071608976924673

dithering is cheaper processing-wise vs straight transparency. 'But we used to do transparency all the time' I hear, and yes that's true. But modern day graphics use multiple levels of texture maps and at higher resolutions for AAA graphics. Throwing transparency on that would be costly. When dithering is acceptable, its' a very good cheap alternative.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

"Steve the Low-Poly Bull sure is a dope, isn't he? Did you hear he got laid off last week? What an idiot!"

"What? Why are you looking at me like that? ...oh god, he's right behind me, isn't he?"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Synthbuttrange posted:

dithering is cheaper processing-wise vs straight transparency. 'But we used to do transparency all the time' I hear, and yes that's true. But modern day graphics use multiple levels of texture maps and at higher resolutions for AAA graphics. Throwing transparency on that would be costly. When dithering is acceptable, its' a very good cheap alternative.

Also because deferred shading cannot handle transparency at all and has to do it through a variety of secondary techniques, of which dithering* is one possibility.

*I first heard this called "stipple alpha" back in the fixed-function OpenGL days.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

AC:Odyssey again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He really misunderstood his fellows when they said pot would make him paranoid

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
One more Odyssey batch. Sorry if it's getting a bit much AC in here, I just didn't get that much into a photo mode before.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GhostDog posted:

One more Odyssey batch. Sorry if it's getting a bit much AC in here, I just didn't get that much into a photo mode before.

Hey, these are good. Not just something-interesting-in-a-game good but actual photography good.

Also I like the one I left quoted form your post because I forgot about the painted statues for a second and it looked like a giant NPC.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skyrim Special Edition can look pretty nice with just a couple of mods. Maybe not the highest fidelity, but it's pretty atmospheric wandering through these misty pine forests.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 16, 2018

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Some shots I took from our Gran Turismo Sport Goon League

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Spider-Shenanigans!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Looks like Mario does the same as AC here, using dithering only when objects in the foreground might obscure the player or other important objects. I haven't seen transparency used for that in any game I can remember. I suppose the alternative to dithering would be applying a clipping plane just in front of the camera position. I must say the dithering looks better than sharply clipped polygons.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Hitman is in the Humble Monthly this month and absolutely worth it; a bunch of reasonably large levels to play around in and a lot of space for experimentation. I'm finding it slightly difficult to make it look pretty, however

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Lobok posted:

Hey, these are good.

I'll take that as an encouragement to post more :3:

The AC Odyssey continues...

Edit: Can't stop won't stop

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 16, 2018

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

AC: Odyssey

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Since I finished the game these will be the last of my AC: Odyssey pics for a while! (I don't think I've posted any of these yet, my bad if so.) I am tempted to go back to Origins, after a AC break, to finish it and get more shots.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Grave Screenshots Thread: Now With 100% More Assassin's Creed

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The virtual tourism is only getting stronger in the series, showing off your travel photos seems like a natural extension of the gameplay at this point :)

It's a weirdly compelling and differently engaging type of play too, I might have found a new minor hobby inside another hobby.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It wasn't really a complaint, I've taken screenshots of games for years now so I definitely get it. So many timg'd images of the same game in a row just kind of start blurring together for me is all.

So I'll break it up with some Yakuza! 0!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kanfy posted:

It wasn't really a complaint, I've taken screenshots of games for years now so I definitely get it. So many timg'd images of the same game in a row just kind of start blurring together for me is all.

So I'll break it up with some Yakuza! 0!

Most of these are situations that wouldn't benefit from it, but if this is on PC do you know about the keyboard shortcut to hide the UI when you're wandering around (Alt+U)? It was really put in there for screenshots but I can't remember if we even surface it in the released game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Akuma posted:

Most of these are situations that wouldn't benefit from it, but if this is on PC do you know about the keyboard shortcut to hide the UI when you're wandering around (Alt+U)? It was really put in there for screenshots but I can't remember if we even surface it in the released game.

Hmm, doesn't sound familiar. I've played with the minimap off anyway so there isn't any UI to hide while wandering in the first place, except I guess the occasional marker and the crosshair thing in first person view. Hiding it in combat for gif/screenshot purposes would be neat though, if that shortcut doesn't work then I can probably grab a mod from somewhere. Thanks for mentioning it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
What's the current go-to solution to make animated gifs? Specifically make gifs from small portions of large video files. I'm still using an old version of gooncam/gifcam...

Kanfy posted:

It wasn't really a complaint

I didn't really take it as such :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

GhostDog posted:

The virtual tourism is only getting stronger in the series, showing off your travel photos seems like a natural extension of the gameplay at this point :)

It's a weirdly compelling and differently engaging type of play too, I might have found a new minor hobby inside another hobby.

I 100% agree with this - I think it's really fun in game, but it's also fun to come here and see what others are doing and try to learn/improve from it.

For me it's also that regular photography is a hobby is like to pursue in the future and this is a fun stand in for the time being.