Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawlok
Apr 2, 2017

Purchased Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on IOS, and I completely forgot how terrible touch controls are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

exquisite tea posted:

Not to derail too much but I found the ending to NITW more depressing than any other game I've played this year. Nobody has really addressed any of their problems and Possum Springs will continue to wither away and die while it consumes the lives of Mae's generation. Like everybody gets out of it okay but there's no indication that anything is going to get better for the main cast.

I think that's sort of the point. Mae comes into things thinking their should be an easy fix for her friend's problems, but eventually learns that isn't the case. Bea can't just leave her father and the family business. But what's important is she's rekindled the friendships that had withered on the vine, and gotten a reminder that things inevitably do get better, and until then she doesn't have to face things alone.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Breath of the Wild

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The things you can do with the 3DS.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

Not to derail too much but I found the ending to NITW more depressing than any other game I've played this year. Nobody has really addressed any of their problems and Possum Springs will continue to wither away and die while it consumes the lives of Mae's generation. Like everybody gets out of it okay but there's no indication that anything is going to get better for the main cast.

~that's millenials~

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Dark Souls III

I got a new monitor so I've started taking shots at 5760x3240, which a) creates huge files absolutely no image host wants to deal with, and b) causes everything to run at ~2fps

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

The things you can do with the 3DS.

Despite the fact that the switch uploads at potato quality, it still looks better than EDF.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

exquisite tea posted:

near the end of the game, the main character with a lot of issues affirms to herself that her tiny blip of a life being meaningless through the eyes of the universe doesn't make it pointless through the eyes of herself. I can see how the ending would manage to strike some people as optimistic and others as depressing as gently caress at the same time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

brainSnakes posted:

near the end of the game, the main character with a lot of issues affirms to herself that her tiny blip of a life being meaningless through the eyes of the universe doesn't make it pointless through the eyes of herself. I can see how the ending would manage to strike some people as optimistic and others as depressing as gently caress at the same time.

The part that makes it depressing to me is that Mae and Gregg still suffer from severe mental illnesses that haven't been addressed whatsoever, nobody has improved their station in life and Gregg/Angus might be leaving Mae in the near future, Possum Springs is still a failing nowhere town and they may have possibly killed a whole bunch of people. Mae's reconnected with Bea and still has her friends but that's about all she has, and the story ends before she even arrives at a place to begin seriously working through her problems. It has nothing to do with the cosmic insignificance aspect and everything to do with the clear and urgent issues everybody in the main cast still faces at the end of the game. I don't think NITW is intended to leave you all warm and happy, you should be finishing the game with a fist in the air ready to smash the state.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I might make a big effort post about my thoughts on the ending later in the nitw thread just for you, tea. Actually, I've actually been thinking about the ending a lot myself and was considering doing it regardless. But you've possibly motivated me!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The last wave in They Are Billions was a little bit bigger than I anticipated:

:byodood: "They are trying to break through!"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wait, is that game a Helm's Deep simulator?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

double nine posted:

wait, is that game a Helm's Deep simulator?

If you're like me and you want to play every RTS creating an impenetrable base and turtle your rear end off you'll love it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If you're like me and you want to play every RTS creating an impenetrable base and turtle your rear end off you'll love it.

gently caress, gimme

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, it's basically a game designed around turtling.
It's more Tropico than Age of Empires, mostly a relatively straightforward resource management/conversion game with something that you could call tower defense elements.
What really makes it shine though is that you constantly have to balance the need for expansion (building space is possibly the most important resource) with the threat of waves of zombies washing over half your colony. And apart from the occasional announced waves there are zombie hordes starting on the map ready to ruin your poo poo. This goes from straggling zombies slipping through and infecting a building creating more zombies in the process in the early game all the way to your ever expanding settlement brushing up against infected cities full of high level Left 4 Dead rejects later on.

Early access warning: map generator can really gently caress you over right now, balance isn't perfect (some of the units you can build seem pointless), and the UI could be better - everything's sort of where it should be, but there are a lot of unnecessary clicks in there.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 7, 2018

Dosan Yvormes
Jan 6, 2018
EVE Online new sun's.

I think they look really good and they also have pretty good movement as well as in the parts coming off the sun (I can't for the life of me remember what that is called).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dosan Yvormes posted:

EVE Online new sun's.

I think they look really good and they also have pretty good movement as well as in the parts coming off the sun (I can't for the life of me remember what that is called)

They're called prominences I think, and that is a really cool looking sun.

From Total Warhammer

We got "surrounded" by a single orc.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Dosan Yvormes posted:

EVE Online new sun's.

I think they look really good and they also have pretty good movement as well as in the parts coming off the sun (I can't for the life of me remember what that is called).

they're called sparky boys

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Mzbundifund posted:

They're called prominences I think, and that is a really cool looking sun.

From Total Warhammer

We got "surrounded" by a single orc.

Orcs have long arms.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Metal Gear Solid V Nioh

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Mass Effect Andromeda

aka the best mass effect

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dont you mean the bluest?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Is ME:A any good? I hear such mixed things. I liked 1-2, thought three was okay.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Beastie posted:

Is ME:A any good? I hear such mixed things. I liked 1-2, thought three was okay.

It's mediocre to okay. It has a couple of cool moments and it's very pretty but in general it's just... eh.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So worth the $20 to play for 20 some odd hours and never finish, got it.

I'll pick it up over the summer.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I got a copy of MEA on a fairly deep discount from a local place (amusingly, it had codes for the pre-order bonuses in it, guess they had excess stock left over). I also only very recently finished Mass Effect 3 so all the garbage from that (lovely ending, reloading to get out of game breaking bugs, galaxy map travel etc) is still fresh in my mind.

I just don't see the Mass Effect series as some pinnacle of gaming, so MEA didn't ruin the brand, it just continued it's history of mediocrity. Andromeda is a space opera game that looks great, has fun combat and open world type maps to explore, that's enough to get it's hooks in me for a while.

Speaking of mediocre space opera games, have some No Mans Sky shots:

A few exterior shots

And some interior

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Beastie posted:

the environment graphics are incredible, the sound is great, and the controls are miles better than ME3. These are things many people like to forget when writing dissertations on how the andromeda initiative's color scheme being an inversion of the N7 color scheme is clear proof of bioware's creative bankruptcy. Unfortunately everything else legitimately is no good at all. The netcode is just as bad as ME3's, the balance was outright offensive for months, and they doubled down on some of ME3's dumbest poo poo like sync kills and the need to unlock the same thing many times before it's out of the pool while putting too many unlocks in the rare/ultra-rare tier. It's in a vastly better place now than it was at launch, but they pushed away most of the players in the meantime because every weapon that wasn't a sniper rifle and most of the tech/biotic powers were rancid garbage on gold. All of the mass effecty bits of the singleplayer are bad, which means most of the singleplayer.

A lot of the presentation is fantastic and it's no longer an awkward mess to play, but you have to tune out pretty much the entire rest of the game to enjoy that. A GOTY contender came out just about every minute of 2017 so there's too many other games to play that won't be mixed experiences at best.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Beastie posted:

As an alternate opinion to Digirat's, I replayed the OG trilogy like, maybe four times with 100% completion on each title. I haven't been able to get through Andromeda once. It's like... technically fine, but it feels very vanilla. I think your mileage may heavily vary depending on what you want out of it. For me, it just didn't grab me. The storyline just wasn't there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The most damning thing I heard about it was that you go to a new galaxy and everything is basically still the same as the old galaxy.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Scan an Andromeda alien's wrecked ship that has been in orbit for a hundred years before you were in the galaxy and the loot table literally serves up [Milk Way Species] [Tech Bauble].

Like, from a mechanical point of view I get it's probably just one giant list of vendor trash, but c'mon...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ME:A killed the studio it was made at.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

I wonder if anyone there said it was...

ME:A culpa.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Samurai Sanders posted:

The most damning thing I heard about it was that you go to a new galaxy and everything is basically still the same as the old galaxy.

They didn't go to a new galaxy because they had great, unique ideas they could only do in a completely new setting. They went to a new galaxy because ME3 wrote them into a corner and they didn't want to deal with showing the consequences of that game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Synthbuttrange posted:

Mismanagement killed the game and the studio but the internet cared more about dunking on the devs being SJWs or whatever.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I did quite enjoy ME:A while playing it, but had zero desire to play it again after finishing it, unlike with the previous games.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So GTAV Online got really weird over the past few years or so.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I still hate that so many fun toys in GTA V are online only.

Their decision to not support the single player at all after release has made me extremely wary of giving Rockstar any of my future money.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I bet you could mod the online vehicles onto single player but I'm not going to reinstall this whole game for that possibility.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tombot posted:

I bet you could mod the online vehicles onto single player but I'm not going to reinstall this whole game for that possibility.

The ability to do that is why they sent modders a C&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Skyrim (with mods)