Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
WELCOME TO NEGROTOWN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg58d8opQKA

So this is the Black (not Blacks) Culture Thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZHwGnGrm_k

What will be discussed here:

Blackness

More Blackness

Super Blackness

Women of Color

Men of Color

Gay Men of Color

Trans People of Color

Aaaaaand everything in between!

GROUND RULES

Whooo! This is going to be a lot...so:

1. THIS AINT A RACISM OR ANTI-RACISM 101 CLASS!

Seriously, the posters here are not present to hold your hand through the discovery of your white privilege and all that it entails. We have jobs, families, and we won't be your magical negro to impart on you life wisdom on how to be a better person.

If you want a good primer, here's some good places to start.

Read those before you post.

After all, there's a test at the end.

2. SHUT UP AND LISTEN.

You don't know everything. In fact, in the sum totality of human knowledge, you really don't know poo poo. That goes for you, me, everyone. So if someone is posting about their lived experience, a study they read, etc, and you don't actually know (as in, not how you feel about something while lacking any actual context), then shut up and LISTEN. It's how we grow as people to become better people.

3. KILL WHITEY

Ooops, didn't mean to copy that one over from the Secret Black Cabal meeting....

I've said too much.

Moving on...

4. DON'T DOUBLE DOWN

Oh, no, you've stumbled in here on good faith and then said a thing some consider lovely.

DON'T DOUBLE DOWN!

Apologize, recognize what you said was lovely, and keep it moving. It's for the best.

5. DON'T BE THIS PERSON

"Black-on-white crime is proof that black people just hate all whites!"

"Talking about race is racist!"

"BET, Black Girls Rock and Black History Month exclude white people. How racist!!"

“I don’t see race. I only see the human race.”

“Talking about issues in terms of ‘white people’ and ‘white privilege’ is reverse racism.”

“You [person of color] clearly don’t know what racism is. According to Webster’s Dictionary...”

“You [person of color] said something about white people doing racist things, so I demand you explain this to me right now.”

“But my [person of color] friend said it was OK if I did it [racially problematic thing].”

“Stop attacking me for having privileges just because I’m white. It’s racist and hurtful.”

“I’m sick of pretending that [people of color] need special rights and programs just because they aren’t white. We have problems too, you know.”

All that has been addressed before.

6. RELAX

No one is going to jump down your throat if you ask a question, especially if its a nuanced one with no real right answer, like "Do all black people say nigga?" or "Is wearing weave ok?"

We will however, ask you to leave in a not polite manner if you ask "why do black people commit SO MUCH CRIME?"

...because gently caress you.

But seriously, I know you may feel awkward about coming in here and participating, and we as black people totally get it. That's pretty much everywhere for us. So sit back , learn, relax, have fun, and feel free to ask educated and quality questions.

7. RAGE FODDER

'Rage fodder' is oppressive memes or posts that will simply trigger and enrage group members without purpose. These threads are generally not productive, and are not conducive to a safe space. If you *have* to share something like this, please put the image(s) in the comments and explain how it makes you feel and what you need the group's help with when working through those emotions. You can also post the image via tumblr or imgur.

8. IF YOU'RE ALREADY THAT GUY FROM RULE 5, DON'T PARTICIPATE

We have dealt with plenty of unrepentant racists already, so if you feel like this is the place to defend or redeem yourself, or argue about how totally not racist you are and how you're just a poor understood white man 400 lb hacker covered in cheeto dust rear end in a top hat person.

We get it, and also we don't want you here. You know who you are.

The mods know about the creation of this thread, and will be keeping a very watchful eye, so unless you're looking to take a nice long break from SA, I suggest you troll elsewhere.

:siren: TAKE NOTE: :siren:
I’m Not Your Racial Confessor
The black person’s burden of managing white emotions in the age of Trump.

McMillan Cottom posted:

I only owe people as much good faith as they extend to me. Part of that good faith is Googling before you waste my time because you value me and my time.

My momma always said that until people asked the right question, they weren’t ready for the right answer. If you ask me a broad, unspecific, basic-rear end question, then you aren’t ready for a serious answer from a serious person.

Also, if you want the black experience summed up in 2 music videos, here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_AQFnqMY3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8

Now with that out the way, welcome to Negrotown!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

OP PART 2: NEW MOD, NEW RULES:
No saying "the blacks", "blacks" etc. it's dehumanizing. Say "Black people". We are people.

Don't come in here talking about how you don't believe in racism. this thread isn't for you.

If you start acting up, I'm gonna give you one warning. Ignore that and you get bounced.

If the black folks in this thread feel uncomfortable with your posting, or ask you to leave, loving leave. Respect our boundaries.
- You are welcome to come back hat in hand if you realize you were in the wrong. This happens a lot. People grow and we encourage that.

That OP is perfect. I'm in tears.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 11, 2017

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
One of their best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg58d8opQKA

Also, Chiwetel Ejiofor was great as Mordo in Dr. Strange. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

This is perfect. I'm in tears.

I do what I can.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I will try, as a good ally, to not gentrify the gently caress out of this town

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZHwGnGrm_k

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Here's to a successful thread!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
All I ask is that you add a Negrotown gif to the OP.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Let me go on ahead and add this to the first post.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will try, as a good ally, to not gentrify the gently caress out of this town

I see you raising the property values already!

And take down that silly rear end petition to get a Starbucks that serves pumpkin lattes year round!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm down with this becoming a block party thread.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Rick_Hunter posted:

All I ask is that you add a Negrotown gif to the OP.

Done and done.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

gfsincere posted:

The mods know about the creation of this thread, and will be keeping a very watchful eye, so unless you're looking to take a nice long break from SA, I suggest you troll elsewhere.

Heavy police presence in Negrotown? Nothing new there.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Idris Elba is going to own as Roland. Please don't suck, Gunslinger movie!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

gfsincere posted:

Done and done.

That is literally the scene I was thinking of. :stare::respek::black101:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
All jokes aside I am glad you got this thread made gfsincere and I think its gonna be valuable and important

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Heavy police presence in Negrotown? Nothing new there.

Well played.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Next on the negro agenda: John Conyers Reparations bill.

The fact that we can't even get a study into how hosed up poo poo was is telling. Even when it comes to reparations talk, you still get "allies" who don't want even a study being done about that kind of thing. Also, it is hilarious to me the people who criticize "The Case for Reparations" clearly without having even read it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Also, it is hilarious to me the people who criticize "The Case for Reparations" clearly without having even read it.

One of the worst mistakes I ever made in D&D was trying to convince the reparations thread that reparations are justifiable

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Since the misogynoir thread talked about PoC artists a bunch, I'm gonna throw my own hat in the ring here with an (admittedly male) one. Alex Boye does really good music. A lot off it is taking popular music and in his words "Africanizing" it, although he does have a bunch of original work of his own. He also does a lot of work with kid's choirs and churches and just seems like a cool dude in general.

This is probably my favorite song of his if only because of how absolutely giddy he looks during it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMHp7_kPec

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
*reads OP*

Oh! OOOOHHHHH! I have something to a-

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

G-drat, got an Africa tag and everything.

This is dope.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

Next on the negro agenda: John Conyers Reparations bill.

The fact that we can't even get a study into how hosed up poo poo was is telling. Even when it comes to reparations talk, you still get "allies" who don't want even a study being done about that kind of thing. Also, it is hilarious to me the people who criticize "The Case for Reparations" clearly without having even read it.

I mean, it doesn't surprise me, not even on a racism level, but on a personal one.

If someone wanted to launch a study on how much you owed them and you KNOW you owed them bigly, you'd block that poo poo to hell and back.

Rick_Hunter posted:

G-drat, got an Africa tag and everything.

This is dope.

I felt like that was a proper touch.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Relevant

*gif of homer fading into bush*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's a good primer/starting place on the reparations issue? I wasn't even aware it was still a debate, and I'd like to read about it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly can't tell if this is supposed to be a banme or not.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's a good primer/starting place on the reparations issue? I wasn't even aware it was still a debate, and I'd like to read about it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

Basically he wrote it on a dare and ended up actually making it a relevant issue again

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Right here in my bookmarks!

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

edit: beaten by the white man again like its 1853.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ok, upon reflection, I have one criticism..

You should've used this Bey gif, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeonBmeFR8o

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Basically he wrote it on a dare and ended up actually making it a relevant issue again
Thanks.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

Ok, upon reflection, I have one criticism..

You should've used this Bey gif, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeonBmeFR8o

Added.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

justice comes swift in the town

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
gfsincere I wasn't paying attention when you joined and I was largely in the wilderness politically during the formative years of BLM. I literally heard about the Ferguson case during a class I was taking at the time that used it as an example of an issue to write an essay about months after the fact.

So I would like to respectfully ask you, should you have time, to at some point write up a post about your personal experience as a Legit BLM Activist Man (superhero name, patent pending).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

justice comes swift in the town

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Police move quicker in black neighborhoods, didn't you know?

Lightning Knight posted:

gfsincere I wasn't paying attention when you joined and I was largely in the wilderness politically during the formative years of BLM. I literally heard about the Ferguson case during a class I was taking at the time that used it as an example of an issue to write an essay about months after the fact.

So I would like to respectfully ask you, should you have time, to at some point write up a post about your personal experience as a Legit BLM Activist Man (superhero name, patent pending).

Sure! I never really talk about it that much, tbh. There are much more visible people that were there like Deray and Netta, and they've spoken about it at length, but sure, I'll write something up soon.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Question, (one that isn't all that serious, but is also not an attempt to troll) How racist is it that when I think of cool black people, I think of Morgan Freeman, and Cordozar Calvin Broadus, Jr.? Because I'm sure its racist somehow, I just don't know exactly in what way, and how much.

Not saying that other black people aren't cool, just that they are the first to come to mind.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 8, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I hope this isn't a violation of rule 1, but I wanted to ask.

I adore Ta-Nehisi Coates, and have also read and enjoyed Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Jesmyn Ward, Roxanne Gay, and Colson Whitehead.

I guess I was just wondering if there were any other contemporary critics or writers you think deserve more attention, wish more people read. I want to keep expanding my perspective.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

https://youtu.be/2AXm1SOFXY8

How close is this to the actual line dance for Trans-Europe Express?

edit: there were some other good articles about not just the case for reparations but also good companion stuff to what Coates was talking about how too much of this poo poo happens to this very day. I have to try to dig up the links.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 8, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I hope this isn't a violation of rule 1, but I wanted to ask.

I adore Ta-Nehisi Coates, and have also read and enjoyed Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Jesmyn Ward, Roxanne Gay, and Colson Whitehead.

I guess I was just wondering if there were any other contemporary critics or writers you think deserve more attention, wish more people read. I want to keep expanding my perspective.

Not even close to a violation.

Shonda Rhimes has a good book, pretty much anything by bell hooks, and there were tons of suggestions in the last thread.

thechosenone posted:

Question, (one that isn't all that serious, but is also not an attempt to troll) How racist is it that when I think of cool black people, I think of Morgan Freeman, and Cordozar Calvin Broadus, Jr.? Because I'm sure its racist somehow, I just don't know exactly in what way, and how much.

Not saying that other black people aren't cool, just that they are the first to come to mind.

Morgan Freeman fell off my personal cool list when he went on that "racism doesn't exist" rant.

When I think cool black people, I think Billy Dee Williams, personally.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

negromancer posted:

Not even close to a violation.

Shonda Rhimes has a good book, pretty much anything by bell hooks, and there were tons of suggestions in the last thread.

That's a great new name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So, I read this and I get that it's moral stand to talk about reparations, but quite frankly it's never going to happen. We live in a world where Donald Trump has majority white support. If only white men voted, he'd win the election. Does talking about this play into the hands of the people who push the "welfare moms" narrative? I' not saying it's wrong, and perhaps in a more enlightened time it will happen but the chances of it happening even within my lifetime are so small as to be nonexistent.

• Locked thread