Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

seiferguy posted:

Kind of on the topic of stealing black culture: Elvis. What's the opinion on him? My mixed gf has mentioned that her entire family hates the guy because he stole black music and claimed it as his own, especially Hound Dog (being stolen from Mama Rae). I've heard others claim that he brought black music more mainstream, and always claimed that he had influences from black musicians.

I mean, the problem was that "race music" was already mainstream because white teenagers kept buying it. Promoting white artists and calling it "rock-n-roll" was a way to legitimize the music from being something that crossed the color line in dangerous and unpredictable ways into something safe. Elvis came along a bit after this was already beginning and rockabilly was becoming a distinct musical form, but he was certainly still part of this process of appropriation which has left Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper as the image of rock-n-roll's early days instead of Howlin' Wolf and Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fados posted:

Music and art is pretty much a bunch of artists copying each other all of the time and adding their own little twist, you cant literally 'steal' culture, that's dumb.

Do you know who Leadbelly and Robert Johnson are? Why don't you? Consider that for a moment.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zas posted:

lol everyone knows who leadbelly and robert johnson are

Everyone who knows a single thing about music, yes. But I am not confident that Fados does.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Cultural appropriation is commonly divided by the sort of dusty academics who think about it a lot into appropriation and misappropriation, and the fundamental difference is based on power structures.

To put it simply, someone from the next village over putting their hair in a particular style without understanding the meaning of the hairstyle is something that, while not necessarily innocent, is harmful on an individual level because there are no structures of power involved.

The whitening of rock does involve the power structures of racism, and so the history of a genre, the cultural and economic values associated with it, they are all ripped from the hands of the people they belong to. This is what academics term "misappropriation", and what normal conversations call appropriation.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fados posted:

Tbh cultural appropriation when relating to art just sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch with an identity politics twist.

Sir, this is a Sbarro's.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

This is what she was probated for and remember that a mod here is running around spreading this conspiracy theory which is encouraging people to try and doxx her.

Here's a great post by the guy who she was arguing with:

baquerd posted:

No one's saying slaveowners were better than that, just that slaveowners that didn't take care of their slaves got sub-par returns over the long run. If you look at the most successful slave-owners, you would expect to see a general pattern of excellent treatment of well-behaved slaves.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gringostar posted:

Yeah, go visit the democrat thread in CSPAM and watch in horror how much they let all manner of causal racism just pass on by without a thought.

Actually don't go there.

You should never visit CSPAM without a Virgil to guide your way and a Beatrice to pick you up at the end after you pass by Satan.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

He was supporting conspiracy theories about SA's CC information being unsafe. It isn't surprising in the least that he got banned.

Don't you have a cross to burn somewhere?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Noyemi K posted:

With posts like this it's no loving wonder:

Shouldn't you be snarling about how other trans women don't pass and are ugly? Or did they finally throw your pathetic rear end out of that thread?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Noyemi K posted:

Lol, there isn't a singular person in existence that can deal with the torrent of poo poo that thread makes.

I hope all your chiptunes get formatted, or that you figure out how to pretend to be functional for more than five minutes.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Noyemi K posted:

which salty uggo are you

I'm the guy who made you break down sobbing in the GBS Nite Crew thread about how come people don't like you, and my greatest regret is that I didn't push it any further.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Domestic Amuse posted:

Jesus, where's the slapboxing smiley when you need it?

:regd07: is what I use.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

I'm sorry but I have never once asked or looked into our questioned the ethnicity of anybody on the forums, either mod or admin or user. I do not see how skin color is more important that personal views or qualifications regarding the forums.

But there are a number of people who feel that moderation is not handled fairly when it comes to race, and they would prefer to have some reassurance that it is, and providing some reassurance that the mods have diverse experiences is one way they can see to improve that situation that doesn't involve major disruptions to the forums.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Don't you know that criticizing blackface just alienates people who like blackface :colbert:

Sounds like a win-win to me.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There is an interesting pathology on who "really" counts as working class, not just on racial grounds but also in terms of sex, age, and (to a more limited extent) sexual orientation. "Black" jobs like the Post Office or other low-level government jobs, farm workers, housekeepers, pink-collar retail jobs, food service jobs- none of these "count" as being working class in mainstream politics, it seems.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Octatonic posted:

That's what he was saying, using sarcasm, so we all agree. Socially dominant viewpoints have a nasty habit of considering themselves universal, which is the problem.

I got into a brief fight about this back after the election, and as I argued that catering to white/male identity harmed working class solidarity as a whole, the "get identity politics out of the activism" positioned shifted to "why can't we have both identity politics and class politics" by the end of it, and I kind of balked. I think it's clear where the priorities lie for a lot of these folks.

It's such obvious bullshit and I have no idea how to make headway against that attitude, or even how to outflank it.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

So that's a yes; in spite of active efforts by racist leaders and racist citizens in a racist era, fiscally left action still benefitted black americans in the long run, by way of both fiscally left activism and socially left activism. Imagine how much more powerful both could be today, with a party unified in their opposition to racism and racial exclusion. The progress that could be made in a time where compromise is dead, and black americans are not excluded from the start.

Good God.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

The lesson isn't "its ok to pursue fiscal leftism because blacks will just have another Civil Rights", if that's what left you speechless. It's that in spite of the best efforts at every level of those involved, fiscal leftism still displayed its crucial ties to social leftism. And that both are tied down by each other, so that to run they must both be lifted.

Can you please stop using the phrase "fiscal leftism" because every time I read it a coyote physically manifests in my house and howls.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

And because of those unions there existed protections to fight for, just as it was because of black workers that the unions held the power to improve the workers' lot. Racism and classism are inexcusable.

I do not expect you to respect the dead racists who attempted to delay social progress. I only ask that you respect the living leaders who will fight on your behalf irregardless of your skin color.

There is no perfect man, and this is passed down to mans creations. Just as you can spend the day highlighting imperfections of the left of the past, one can spend a day highlighting of imperfections of the neoliberal of present. Or of Sanders, or of Lewis, or of Hillary, or of Shumer, or of any man group or product. We cannot expect perfection, only strive towards it and refuse to settle. This is not to excuse past mistakes, but a plea for hope for future endeavors.

The fiscal leftists of today do not seek an end to a party that pushed for social progress. They seek an end to an old generation of imperfections so that they may strive for a more perfect tomorrow.

So where did you plagiarize this from?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Even though the UAW integrated officially in the 30s, actual integration didn't happen until the 60s, because black people would only be hired for segregated jobs, and it wasn't the UAW national that was responsible for Ford desegregating.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

If any of the leaders of todays unions were also the leaders of those unions in the 60's, then I'm 100% okay with condemning them.

The point just did an Immelmann Turn over your head.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

We are to forget the sins of our fathers, not our fathers. If they refused to integrate in the past, then you cannot rely on them to integrate in the future unless they've proven themselves allies; if they had proven themselves allies Effectronic would not have brought them up.

What is this horseshit?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like most of the candidates for Detroit's school superintendent are coming out against charter schools. A good sign, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's extremely telling how quickly the label of "populism" came to outweigh any other left-wing labeling among white self-proclaimed leftists, and how blind self-proclaimed "populists" are to what the popular will has been for minorities in the past and in the present. Certainly, "populism" (in the sense of doing what is popular) in 2013 would have opposed gay marriage as much as in 1963 it opposed the Civil Rights Movement.

• Locked thread