Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Help. I can't live in this reality.

Hello, fellow black people. I'm loving shook right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

LunarShadow posted:

Me loving either. I am absolutely terrified

I can't believe we live in a country that's willing to elect a racist, sexist, alleged sexual assaulter. I can't believe that something like this could happen after Obama. My grandparents literally got dogs sicced on them and we're possibly heading back in that direction.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I really hate this new narrative of "Maybe you uppity minorities shouldn't have hurt white people's feelings so this is what you get." My (also) black Republican cousin told me this on Facebook and I had to go sit in quiet rage for a few minutes instead of responding.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Rush Limbo posted:

India is racist against everyone in general. My father was Indian, and his family literally disowned him because he went against their wishes and married my mother (a Roma woman)

As in, even when he was dying of cancer they refused to acknowledge him. I've got an entire branch of my family who refuses to acknowledge my and my siblings existence.

Despite all of that he was very keen on teaching me about Indian culture and poo poo. I got a first hand tour of a lot of Indian temples and explanations of what the art depicted and why it was important.

Speaking of something kinda similar, my father is mixed race (Black and Chinese-Hawaiian) and he cut me, my mom and my brother out of his life because his mother and that side of my family didn't want to deal with "more blacks." To this day, they refuse to have any sort of dealings with us simply because we exist. Finding that out was the first time I ever felt spurned just for being Black.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

The Superpredator thing could be cleared up with ten minutes of research, too. I was a kid throughout most of the 90s and had no idea what the real context of that quote was until I looked into it. Given what my mom and many of my family members went through in Chicago, it made a good amount of sense.

I hate that people take things at such face value but then again that explains American politics in a sentence.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Rexicon1 posted:

Tell me more about my white savior complex. I didn't know I could have one as poc but sure. Go for it.

e: You ignorant loving twits are actually telling me that my voice doesn't matter. Actual loving racism from the negrotown thread. I thought Racism 101 wasn't being taught here? Weird! I guess you guys need to go to the remedial class then.

You could call this tone policing but dude, you've been going in hard at people in this thread. There's nothing wrong with playing devil's advocate to foster a constructive dialogue or conversation on a topic but you're going for the jugular with every single post and I'm sure you're aware that belaboring people with inflammatory remarks isn't going to bring others to your side.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Lobster God posted:

A couple of recent BBC documentaries may be of interest to those asking about minority experiences in the UK

Black and British: A Forgotten History, by David Olusoga has just started. The first episode covers Ancient and Medieval Black British communities, and touches on Georgian stuff, heading into the slave trade next week. It's a very thoughtful and well researched show that aims to de-whitewash British history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b082w9p9/black-and-british-a-forgotten-history-1-first-encounters

Black is the new Black- haven't see this yet but it looks lke a good exploration of the experiences of Black Britons in the post war period.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b082m5tp/black-is-the-new-black-episode-1#group=p02q33dg

I know this was from a few pages back but thank you so much for these links. These are both super interesting and were great watches.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can you expand a little on being black and Native American sometime? That seems like a very interesting experience. I have native friends, but the rest of their family is white.

I can't really speak to her experiences (obviously) but my grandpa on my mom's side was Black and Native American and grew up on a reservation. He never talked about his childhood all that often but the place he grew up in was/is horrifically poor and he experienced a great deal of racism from the community.

Similar to my situation with my own dad's family, my mom's frequently told me about how her great-grandmother seemingly disliked her and my grandfather's family. Whenever my mom and uncles would visit her, she'd hide them away whenever she had visitors. One story my mom mentioned before is about when my great-grandmother's boss showed up to pick up his laundry from her. Her boss had his daughter with him and she went to the side of the house where my then five-ish year old mother was playing with her doll. She and my mom played for a few minutes and when it was time for them to go, the boss's daughter ran off with my mom's doll. My mom ran over to grab the doll and according to both my mom and uncles, my great-grandmother smacked her across the mouth and apologized to her boss on my mom's behalf.

My mom's in her early 60s now and to this day she still tears up when she talks about that story. Things like that happening to her when she was younger is why I feel like Trump's election barely registered with her and my uncles.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

negromancer posted:

The crazy thing about it is, I'm born and raised in Chicago, and people have known about it FOREVER, especially our parent's generation, and they did fuckall. Like, the dude used to be parked in front of my high school, trying to talk to teenage girls, and no one did poo poo. It was "OH R. KELLY IS HERE!". Like, everyone knew what he was there for. IF we knew it at 13, how the hell did the parents and administration not, and just turn a blind rear end eye to it?

Even today, with everyone knowing right now, its a club in Chicago playing R. Kelly and people getting excited, and that's just abhorrent to me.

I have a bunch of extended relatives from Chicago and Calumet and boy loving howdy do they have some hot takes when it comes to anyone that comes from Chicago. My cousin's husband has shot off tirades at me about having the temerity of criticizing Kanye's erratic behavior and he's gone to bat for R. Kelly by saying 'If he were white, they wouldn't have say nothing about that.' There's some crazy loving Chicagoland Omerta that's bonkers af to me as a person from the Kansas City area.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Koalas March posted:

Viola Davis is a national treasure.

She is. This gif gets me through so many Discord conversations:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Dexo posted:

Of all things this year a Video game managed to capture this poo poo perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnrePfqalRw&t=567s

I...actually want to play Watch Dogs 2 now. Boy fuckin' howdy is it hurtful when you get called "well-spoken" and you're expected to take it as a compliment.

I appreciate that they seemingly tried to move past the silly "angry white dad uncle out to get revenge" plot of the first game to try something new. The Bay Area must be a loving nightmare town to live in if you aren't deeply entrenched in the tech industry.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Between a friend that lived in San Fran for years and a family friend that's originally from Daly City, I don't want to go to San Francisco because I think I'd be sharpening a guillotine the very night of my arrival. Our family friend's husband grew up in Oakland and went to Berkeley for his comp sci degree and Master's and the amount of poo poo he went through as a black programmer in the 80s trying to prove himself is enough to fill a series of novels.

I haven't spoken with him in a few years but I remember him telling us how when he was looking for other jobs in the Bay Area after being laid off from Cisco, several of his interviews immediately went south because they would see he's black and would then hyper-scrutinize his resume as if they were vetting him to protect the POTUS.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Dwayne McDuffie was a gem and the world is worse without him in it.

Mods please rename me to DARK WHEELIE. Thanks in advance.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Code Switch and Bodega Boys were already posted but if you're interested in sometimes light-and-airy and sometimes serious podcast about black pop culture and life as a black person in a major urban center, I recommend The Read.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Squashing Machine posted:

That seems like a tremendously narrow way to view this concept, and frankly, one designed to prop up your own idea of how these things work.

Edit: Sorry, let me explain myself. In effect, this is dodging the question. The implicit idea of my argument is to ask why is it not a racially deterministic thing to say "white people are terrible."

You're contributing to the problem a lot of non-white people have with discussing race and privilege in general: as soon as the concept of Whiteness is touched upon, someone immediately takes it as a personal affront and goes "not all white people." This isn't germane or conducive to the conversation. It's an attempt to invalidate the experiences of a marginalized populace.

Imagine if you were bleeding profusely while stumbling into a hospital. Imagine that, in your desperation, you ask for help from the staff but you're only met with apathetic "oh dears" and the occasional "I never got stabbed so this must be a problem with your kind." I'm a bit frazzled at the moment but this is the best analogy I can think of at this late hour. I imagine you're a member of the ingroup attempting to discredit the outgroup's problems via concern trolling and tone policing and that's messed up.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Koalas March posted:

This is real loving ironic coming from the rear end in a top hat that lead to several black posters posting pics of their hands against literal paper bags.

I, uh, ain't trying to take sides here but when did this happen?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

OmanyteJackson posted:

Okay I just need to vent. Today I was literally stuck in the middle of two white people arguing about white privilege and it seemed like the most fitting end to 2016. Best part, nothing was gained! highlights include " I was descriminated against" and the person on my side shutting me out of the conversation. I'm still shaking dude. gently caress. I hate this.

Cannon Busters is looking pretty good though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CVxE-fXCFA

I had no idea LeSean Thomas was making his own show. That's super cool and that guy is an inspiration to any PoC kid interested in art.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Fluffdaddy posted:

Neither have I. I see too many white people holding it up as "the realest" for me to trust it.

I'm a black dude that really enjoyed The Wire as a piece of fiction. I really dislike the ridiculous reaction white people have towards it though. They seem to hold it up as some sort of realistic depiction of all black people and it's really loving gross. There are depictions of middle class, non-criminal black people in the show but they're few and far between.

Another thing that bugs me is when they go "I enjoyed Season 2 the most" out of the show. Season 2 is the season that focuses more on white characters, so that always sets off alarms for me, too.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 24, 2016

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

negromancer posted:

And yet when you talk to white people about reparations, it was SUCH A LONG TIME AGO GOSH WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR STUFF I WASNT THERE FOR.

Meanwhile a lot of black folks still have living relatives that were the first freeborn black people in their family, like my grandfather and great grandmother.

My great-granddad was born on a sugar plantation and while my grandma and her family never talked much about the terrible things their parents had to endure, it still makes happy knowing that my grandma and her siblings, the first freeborn people in her family, got to live in the United States.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

This Perry Bible Fellowship edit rings true yet again

Also lo-loving-l at Neuroliminal's handwringing white moderate-isms. You're literally the example MLK was talking about in his letters.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

negromancer posted:

lol really?

Yeah, Mastgrr is a goon. I played TF2 with him back in the day.

Gringostar posted:

gently caress yeah, John Lewis rules.

I've had the pleasure of meeting John Lewis a couple of times and he's a national loving treasure. He talked to me and my family for a good twenty minutes when we were having lunch at Mary Mac's here in Atlanta and I was pretty much starstruck.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

drat, you go take a nap and poo poo blows up. Grats Koalas!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Holy poo poo, this might just be one of the primest examples of White fragility I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE8nQZPfYpY

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Fluffdaddy posted:

In black people news, Steve Harvey has decided that riding funnier comedians coattails wasn't enough and is now engaged in some coonery.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/01/13/steve-harvey-meets-donald-trump-may-get-involved-with-urban-renewal.html

When these conservatives are talking about Hollywood elites and poo poo, do they not notice this smiling rear end in a top hat?

I've never liked Steve Harvey but between this and the racist poo poo he said about women not liking Asian men, I think he should take a long walk off of a short pier. gently caress him. I hope Cedric the Entertainer and D.L. Hughley put his rear end on blast eventually.

blackguy32 posted:

Rip Bernie Mac :(

For real. :negative:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Koalas March posted:

Oh man, this reminds me of this one time I got into it in The Flash thread because an old white man told a teenage black kid to "use his natural athleticism" on the show.

I'm real loving glad I dipped out of that show. Poor Jesse L. Martin deserves better, even if he was in Rent.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Pollyanna posted:

Uh, is it just me or is this kinda...horrifying?

Dexo posted:

This was probably the intention all along, but whatever. Should be interesting

Agreed on both points. I'm not trying to be conspiratorial but it seems like this is something meant to drown the thread out with the louder voices from around the forums. I hope everything works out for the best because this thread and Misogynoir are educational and this unfortunate blacklash further illustrates how dire things are around here.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

SealHammer posted:

The way you deal with shitheads in a debate is by out-debating them. I thought this was a given. Making an echo chamber because you don't know how to handle conflict is antithetical to the spirit of a discussion forum. If you don't take the bad with the good, your ideas trend in one direction and become incestuous rather quickly (see: US Democrat Primaries thread)

Debating only works when the other party is actually willing to listen and be educated. Many people in this thread have tried just that only to get concern trolled, tone policed or drive-by poo poo posted.

And again, this situation didn't happen because of the black posters surreptitiously organizing a "safe space" in D&D. We got sequestered to Negrotown after being told that black experiences aren't germane to x, y or z.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Rakosi posted:

Teaching is tonally different from debating. Teaching has the premise that you know more than your "student". If you go into every debate (and most people in these forums do) with that same premise then the people you're talking too shut down pretty quick.

If a person is unwilling to listen to the experiences of black people in a designated black people thread then I'm going to assume they're just here to stir up some trouble. The posters in the thread run the gamut of black people in America and some abroad, so it's not like we're some sort of monolithic organization attempting to shut down outside influence either.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

SealHammer posted:

But nobody forced posters to only post in the "blackness" thread when they wanted to discuss identity politics.

My dude, they did. This has been said a thousand times over in this thread; this thread was created because blackness was deemed in-sympatico with the topics in USPOL. The black American experience, something ultimately shaped by politics and politicians, was pushed out of the American politics thread. As Morby said, this entire situation was handled as poorly as could be.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

temple posted:

African Americans are undertreated for pain.This happened in my family. My nephew had some weird stuff going on his foot and he woke up one Sunday unable to walk and in a lot of pain. So my my sister took him to the ER and the surgeon said, to the effect of, "couldn't this have waited til Monday?"

I've gone through this a hell of a lot. I was suffering through the on-set of an autoimmune disease and in a ton of pain but out of the myriad of ER visits I had, I only received pain medication from three visits. I was told to take ibuprofen when there were periods where I was literally throwing up blood.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

temple posted:

No the wiz isn't an exploitation play/film. I rewatched the film version maybe a year or two ago just see if the critics were fair in panning it. And yep, its horribly shot and outside of MJ and Evillene (I'm a sucker for Pryor as well), its not good. The director tried to capture the stage view and it doesn't look well. Plus, I half remember seeing it as a kid and it terrified me.

Here's a good example of evillene's performance and not so great blocking imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQT-QFy5Nig

Speaking of critics and black film, critics kinda panned or called Coming to America and Harlem Nights mediocre. I completely disagree. Those films and I'd say Boomrang and later Life were classic as gently caress. I can quote all those films pretty much word for word.

I don't know if it's every black family but it's a shame how much me and my family quote those movies, too.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Earlier either in here or in Misogynoir I talked a little bit about what being mixed means to me. This weekend I learned something new, and after some thinking I wanted to share it to see how it lines up with other peoples' experiences.

I was talking to my wife about how painful it is to feel like I have on connection to my roots (more complicated than just race, I have a ridiculous family history I won't go into). But one aspect of that is that I've never met my father, from whom my black and native American heritage comes. Growing up, whenever I pressed my mom on wanting to know about him, she'd dismiss me with statements like "he's not worth knowing, trust me." I didn't actually learn I was mixed race until I was in junior high school. Before that my mom always explained my hair as a "jewish afro" despite the fact that my jewish heritage is 3 generations removed.

Anyway, my wife revealed to me a story my mom told her when they were on a trip together. When my mom was in the hospital having me, she called my father to come help her/see me. Instead, a couple hours later, his father showed up, gave my mom money to pay for the hospital, and told her that she should tell people I am white and not to try to get me involved with them. Then he left with no further explanation and my mom's just been quietly carrying that around ever since, trying to protect me from it.

It makes me feel really conflicted. On the one hand, I want to know what their story is. What did they live through that pushed them to this decision, to just obliterate that side of my history? But on the other hand, the story makes it clear they wanted nothing to do with me. It kinda closes off any naive thought I might have had to reach out one day and try to learn about where I come from.

Most days I feel like a person with no history, no roots, no inheritance. Nothing has been passed down to me, not from any branch of my family. It's painful, sometimes, to feel like you have to build your entire identity for yourself. It can feel like you're making yourself up as you go along. Growing up with no traditions, no stories, no artifacts of who my family and people are was painful. Now I live a life where necessarily my entire identity is defined by and enforced by myself. It's simultaneously a joy, that I carry no burden from my forebears, and a pain as everything I have to pass down is "new", from me. I'll never be able to tell my kids what their great grandparents did, or how we got to this country.

I dunno, I don't really have a conclusion to any of that. That's just what's been rattling around in my head this weekend and I needed to share it somewhere.

I went through a similar experience actually. I had no idea my dad was mixed race since he and my mom got divorced when I was really young and my mom adamantly refuses to talk about him or his family. I didn't find out until I was in my early 20s that it was due to his family getting pissed off that he decided to marry a black woman.

I imagine stories like this aren't that uncommon, which is depressing as gently caress. :smith:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Chilichimp posted:

God drat man

Yeah, it answered a lot of questions I had never thought to ask. :smith: I have a couple of cool cousins on that side of my family that I talk to occasionally but my Chinese grandmother very nearly got disowned by her family for having a child with her black boyfriend. To say that it puts a strain on establishing a relationship is a goddamned understatement.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

blackguy32 posted:

Guess what? We're getting a series about Dear White People!

http://huff.to/2lsmXfn

Can't say I loved the movie, I had some problems with it in fact but I am somewhat excited for this.

Of course, white people were mad about the title despite them never even seeing the actual movie and realizing that it is about more than simply racist white people.

I was just coming here to post this. The YouTube video has over 77k dislikes and an endless comments section railing against Netflix for alienating their customers and catering to SJWs. loving hell, how the hell can these idiots be this fragile now of all times? You voted an Idiot King into office. You won.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

This is so great. Everybody post more things like this. I love other countries' memes.

I've always enjoyed this video for Just A Band's Ha He which features a Kenyan internet meme Makmende. It's almost the video's seventh anniversary (!), too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mG1vIeETHc

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I already got a name for it..

Vatoville. You're welcome.

I was going to suggest "The Mestizone" but Vatoville is good too.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I don't know where to post this but it angered and disgusted me so much that I feel like I have to share it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/miami-dade-prison-darren-rainey-no-charge-guards-hot-shower-boiled-burns-schizophrenic-a7637051.html

I loving hate this country sometimes.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

blackguy32 posted:

I think I asked about it somewhere else before and someone just told me that, "oh, they were all exterminated by the Nazis before the show started." Then I thought to myself, "How convenient." Maybe I will give the show a watch if I have free time.

There's a black supporting character in the Resistance but I understand where you're coming from. Though "they were all exterminated" might be a convenient out for not casting more people of color, one of the major points of the show is that the Greater Nazi Reich (everything east of the Rockies) killed every single "undesirable" that didn't make it to the Neutral Zone or the Japanese-controlled Pacific States. There are people of color in the Pacific States portions of the show thankfully.

It's mentioned in Season 1 and elaborated upon more in Season 2 that the Nazis and their allied nations are leading straight up genocide campaigns in Africa and the Middle East. They do make a point to show that even white people who aren't sufficiently Aryan enough are denied entry and likely killed. While it's secondary to the main plot, the horrible poo poo that's happened to non-whites and non-Japanese people is remarked upon quite a bit.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Yeah remarked upon, by white people. It's a story about a horrific genocide told by the people least affected by it.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's another white as gently caress prestige drama. I was just saying that at least the horrible racist poo poo isn't glossed over like in The Handmaid's Tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Condiv posted:

the main character's design kinda reminds me of loran cehack

not that that's a bad thing cause i love loran cehack, he's the best gundam protag

I love Turn A Gundam and I always loved the apocryphal information that Tomino wanted Loran to be a brown/black woman protagonist (something I found interesting since a brown/black lady character was one of the few survivors from his kill-happy phase during Victory Gundam) but Sunrise told him no. What did he do? He made Loran cross-dressing as "Laura Rolla" a major plot point in the series. It's not treated as gay panicky or anything; dude just looks really good as a woman and is comfortable with it.

• Locked thread