Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Next on the negro agenda: John Conyers Reparations bill.

The fact that we can't even get a study into how hosed up poo poo was is telling. Even when it comes to reparations talk, you still get "allies" who don't want even a study being done about that kind of thing. Also, it is hilarious to me the people who criticize "The Case for Reparations" clearly without having even read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

negromancer posted:

When I think cool black people, I think Billy Dee Williams, personally.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

So, I read this and I get that it's moral stand to talk about reparations, but quite frankly it's never going to happen. We live in a world where Donald Trump has majority white support. If only white men voted, he'd win the election. Does talking about this play into the hands of the people who push the "welfare moms" narrative? I' not saying it's wrong, and perhaps in a more enlightened time it will happen but the chances of it happening even within my lifetime are so small as to be nonexistent.

The point isn't even about reparations. It is the one thing that I can count on white liberals to lose their poo poo over. But you often hear people do want to support reparations, but it's totally reparations in the way "we" like. There never is any conversation about going forward with the study over the damage that these institutions caused or what a good jumping off point is. It's always about, let me just guess how to absolve our legacy of slavery and it is always "rising tide lifts all boats" bullshit.

Who What Now posted:

The show Steven Universe has black UK singer Estelle as a main character, and although the character she voices, Garnet, isn't literally a black woman, you'd have to be a moron to say she isn't coded as such. She's generally portrayed as cool, confident, and as an emotional and intellectual rock for the other characters to cling to and bounce off of.

From what little I have seen of it, it is a great show. I would watch more of it if Cartoon Network was any good about releasing dvd seasons. But Garnet is easily the most well adjusted out of all the gems.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 8, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

Yep. What alternatives to Congressional sanction exist to discovering the realistic beginnings of reparations? Is that bill that gets ritually shot down every year really our only avenue to real reparations talk seeing the light of day?

I mean to go forward with something like this, I think it would be smart at least to launch a government study on it, even if you don't go through with reparations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

new name huh?

I just noticed that as well. I like it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I was just going to say to leave all that white poo poo back where you came from. Not really something you can do, but usually when people gentrify, they bring all the poo poo that they like instead of actually investing in the neighborhood stuff.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Can you put a rough dollar value on this in today's dollars?

I think this is putting the cart before the horse.

negromancer posted:

The "some reason" is the export of American culture, and one of the things we export is only allowing black people to play criminals and thugs, and our news which paints us all as such. They think that when they get here they can be "separate" from us and ingratiate themselves with the white power structure as "not one of those American blacks", but find out eventually that they are just another friend of the family to them just like us, just a friend of the family with an accent.

Also, a lot of people that immigrate here are pretty well off compared to American born black people.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I would just like to say, gently caress the Harambe meme. People think they are so hilarious whenever its brought up but it was never really all that funny.

On a positive note, I love the movie Dope. A movie about a black nerd character getting himself into a predicament and trying to figure his way out of it. The world needs more black nerd characters. We do exist.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

PT6A posted:

Wait, the kid that got into the enclosure was black? I don't remember that being mentioned in literally any of the news stories about it.

Yeah, I can see how that would turn the whole story pretty toxic.

Not only that but there is the whole thing about how America was willing to be outraged at the death of the gorilla, but when innocent black people are shot and killed, they don't make a loving sound.

Then you have the whole gorilla=black people thing where people compared Leslie Jones to Harambe

Then you just have the frequent "ironic" usage of the stupid loving meme, and it isn't hard to see that the meme is definitely coming from a very racial place that people love to feign ignorance about.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It got to the point where a university had to ask people to stop literally waving their exposed dicks at the "Harambe Hall" dormitory, which was an exclusively black dorm that had had that name for 20+ years.

Harambe has been around for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_rLRP709zU

drat, I miss the Boondocks, but not the last season because that season was trash.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I've had black women comment on me dating Hispanic women. But yeah, it can be a complex issue. I know black men who get upset when black women date white men and I know black women who get upset when black men date non-black women. poo poo's complicated, sometimes I feel much better about being single.

I still find it really creepy that Asian women are so sought after when it comes to interracial dating.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Talmonis posted:

My general assumption was that most people were terrible that way. If it's mostly just men, that's...better? Not really I guess. I mean hell it doesn't even matter, as I'm happily married and all, but sometimes the mind wanders in strange ways.

I was worried about that. But in particular I meant the stereotype and dealing with that in itself socially, not any particular person's actual genitalia. Which, yeah...

Basically I'm just :goonsay: as gently caress.

I am going to humor you because I think you are legitimately curious. But its such a bad loving stereotype. It leads to people expecting things of you when you may not have it and if I am not mistaken, most black men are of average size anyhow. IT also ties into the stereotype of how black people are hypersexual.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I would just like to say that following Jesse Williams twitter is a pro-tip. He had a fantastic critique of Django Unchained, speaks out about racial issues, and is one of my favorite celebrities to read.

http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-..._pos=2&at_tot=4

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

...How bad is Song of the South? My grandmother has mentioned it before as being one of her favorite Disney movies but I know literally nothing about it other than that one annoying song.

She's horrendously racist though, so I suppose that speaks for itself.

It's pretty bad. But the cool thing about Song of the South is the story about Br'er rabbit because he is the perfect stand in for how smart the slaves had to be during their resistance in slavery.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dexo posted:

I'm tempted to set up a twitter bot that responds to every tweet I have in a twitter list with this image.

I agree with the negromancer. Why wouldn't you?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

People melting down like that is hilarious at times. But I also think it can be a very slippery slope of an issue to the point where if you let one person post stuff like that then you will eventually get into worse and worse poo poo and then its too late.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

This election is terrifying. Some people joke about this stuff and want to gloat at liberals but this poo poo is no joke.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think 66% of white women voted for Trump. So much for the whole solidarity thing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I guess the new narrative is going to be that if Bernie Sanders were nominated, then Trump would have lost which is a pretty dumb narrative, especially since we aren't even sure that people of color would have turned out for him.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The thing people are saying is that "identity politics" and lack of focus on "economic" as well as Hillary Clinton were the reasons that she lost.

The first is true only because people are retaliating against what they perceive as minorities getting special perks, basically equality.

The second is bullshit because Trump didn't really have a economic plan to bring anything back to appease those voters. I mean he won the union vote which reminds me of the awful racist past of unions.

I hate the third argument that Hillary Clinton was the reason for the loss as well, because it's usually coming from salty Bernie Sanders supporters and you can say this about any election where a candidate loses because there really is no way to disprove it. But I will say this, Hillary Clinton had one of the most fleshed out platforms for a candidate that I have seen that is rivaled only by Obama in recent memory.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I... guess? Like I can entirely accept that is a thing but I have difficulty seeing that as the primary motivation of a POC voting Trump. Especially when he's been going after lots of different POC as his scapegoat.

Like I don't see how you hear "I'm going to build a big wall to keep all the mexicans out" as a latinx person and thing "yes if I vote for this guy I will finally be accepted as white" but "I'm poor and the last 8 years have done nothing for me so gently caress it I'm voting for the guy who's going to do something even if he hates me" I at least can. And I think that probably applies to some of the white vote too.

By design, yes, I concur. But the point I guess I am trying to make is that the motivations that all of those individual groups and people are experiencing are surely different? Like I don't think that everything that supports white supremacy is done so out of the conscious motivation of "gently caress everyone else let's give everything to whitey!"

And so to attack the entire edifice of white supremacy it would be necessary to knock out all the pillars supporting it, and finding actual real solutions to the problems that the rich, powerful, and white have convinced otherwise natural allies that they are caused by each other, or at the very least convincing people of what the actual cause of those problems is.

Look up the Caucasian race resolution of 1943.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

there wolf posted:

But I do have a question for TB, Koalas, Negromancer, and the other black posters. Do you want to have these sort of "how to I address/fix people's racism" discussions in this space?

All I know is that it sure as hell beats posters giving recommendations on how to fix racism because it almost always boils down to "you need to coddle and be friendly to the people that secretly hate you or see you as undeserving of true equality" in the hopes that they change their mind.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Someone tweeted this out, and from my experience it is spot on. No matter how many times I try to be friendly to awful people.

quote:

Beware of people demanding you educate them - the do not truly wish to learn.

Beware of those who declare themselves your ally - they have not earned that title.

Beware of those who value their fun over your safety and peace of mind - they are not your friends.

Beware of those who dismiss your passion as over sensitivity - they seek to gaslight and diminish you.

Beware of the “if I offended” apology - they do not understand, nor care to understand, how they hurt you.

Beware of those whose support is conditional on your pain being expressed in a tone they find pleasing - their support does not exist and they will let you fall.

Beware of those who seek to make you question your own pain and oppression because it is simpler than acknowledging their own privilege and lack of empathy - your doubt will always benefit them.

You are not over-reacting, you are not a bully, you are not mean, you are not “just as bad” as the people who oppress you - but you also don’t need to keep fighting if it hurts you. You’re allowed to have peace, when and if you can find it.

Whether you fight or whether you fall back, it does not make them right, and it does not make you any less strong. Take care of yourself, because your oppressors never will.

May you never doubt your strength, your truth, your value, or your right to peace and happiness.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Geostomp posted:

They really seem to think that they can change these people into something decent if we make them financially secure and give them more patience. That if we just took time to pay more attention, they'd learn to act like adults and reject their beliefs. We're all painfully aware at how well that works by now.

I'm sure some can be salvaged if removed from their toxic environments, but we simply cannot cure the racism of this country by giving the rural whites even more power. They will simply not allow themselves to change.

They think that their hatred is economically driven, but no. It goes a bit deeper than that. These are the same people the segregated themselves from African Americans and that is far from economical reasons. It's like gentrification, white people move in, all the black people and black stuff have to move out. It can never be as simple as white and black people coexisting in the game neighborhood.

I think it's also because they have no other options on what to do, so they turn to coddling as if that is going to make racists see the error of their ways by being friendly to them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Also gently caress Gfsincere for running away and leaving me here :(

Uh.....

OwlFancier posted:

You might be able to salvage enough to win an election which is a better position to effect actual change from than having control of none of the branches of government, however.

As much as I enjoy the thought of punishing the deserving, it doesn't really do anyone much good to lose on that platform.

I really don't buy this. Economics be damned, the moment you entertain anything about minorities, people are going to be upset. This is that coddling thing I was talking about. There wasn't poo poo that was concrete in Trump's economic plan. NOTHING.

I guess you can just ignore minorities and their issues but that stirs up other problems.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 10, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ill be damned if I leave. This is my country too and I am not giving it up without a fight. gently caress that. Even if it is just supporting my friends and family, I am going to fight.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Gaunab posted:

You guys should defend yourselves in GBS.

This is a good way to lose your sanity.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

doverhog posted:

Humble question to noble thread, does a Trump presidency frighten you? Not in a vague cultural sense, but as a real world threat.

Yes. I may be pretty ok. But I know people that probably won't be. Plus there is still the very real fear of getting killed with no one caring about your death.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Im just getting a bunch of Bernouts in my facebook feed saying that this is all the DNC's fault and if Bernie had just been elected, this wouldn't have happened.

I mean, the people that were his primary demographic didn't even vote for him when it really mattered. How the hell would he have won in the general? Like the whole thing reeks of "I told you so" bullshit and reads off as whiny as gently caress because the DNC didn't listen to them and put Bernie in as the candidate.

It reeks of "elect my white candidate with white issues" so we can win, while ignoring that Hillary Clinton did consistently better with most minorities. So basically racism by another name.

Also, I severed ties with my Republican black uncle today and my aunt (his sister) is trying to tell me not to do that. But gently caress that. This poo poo is important to me and him being black and voting for a piece of poo poo like that just so he can save some tax money is telling.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

What the hell is the deal? Dexo just provided proof about all economic white classes supporting Trump and people are getting upset?

I know it's tough but realize that these people basically voted for white supremacy and it's not surprising at all.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Boyz n the hood is a classic. But man did radio ruin his career that much or was it something else?

Dope is a great film as well that I don't hear people talk about much and features a black nerd character.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Morby posted:

Slate is pissing me off.

http://slate.me/2fKuJz3

It's really loving stupid and really shows a stark divide between this thread and much of the liberal space. This thread is playing up white supremacy as a very strong reason that Trump won, meanwhile much of everything else just seems to be saying that Democrats wouldn't have lost if they had picked someone else other than Hillary.

A lot of it is hand wringing about young people. But young people still didn't even loving vote when their dream candidate was running and I would say that this was far from a conventional election so all of this "conventional wisdom" just sounds like a bunch of hot air from people that can't accept that maybe the racism in this country is stronger than they think.

Because at the end of the day, it wasn't about if white people wanted to enact racist policies, it mattered that they simply didn't care about minorities enough to vote against them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Morby posted:

And not only did they not care enough to vote against them, but they get angry at you when you take issue with it. My Christmas list was cut by more than half by this election alone. Why in the hell would I do something nice for you when you clearly do not give a poo poo about my basic survival? And then they have the nerve to call me unreasonable when I am in fear for my life? Sometimes it's just too much.

Gonna repost this:

quote:

Beware of people demanding you educate them - the do not truly wish to learn.

Beware of those who declare themselves your ally - they have not earned that title.

Beware of those who value their fun over your safety and peace of mind - they are not your friends.

Beware of those who dismiss your passion as over sensitivity - they seek to gaslight and diminish you.

Beware of the “if I offended” apology - they do not understand, nor care to understand, how they hurt you.

Beware of those whose support is conditional on your pain being expressed in a tone they find pleasing - their support does not exist and they will let you fall.

Beware of those who seek to make you question your own pain and oppression because it is simpler than acknowledging their own privilege and lack of empathy - your doubt will always benefit them.

You are not over-reacting, you are not a bully, you are not mean, you are not “just as bad” as the people who oppress you - but you also don’t need to keep fighting if it hurts you. You’re allowed to have peace, when and if you can find it.

Whether you fight or whether you fall back, it does not make them right, and it does not make you any less strong. Take care of yourself, because your oppressors never will.

May you never doubt your strength, your truth, your value, or your right to peace and happiness.

Edit: That 2nd article on that page is rich.

quote:

There’s a lot to ponder right now. An economic collapse, international shunning, the mainstreaming of the alt-right and ethno-nationalism. I did not vote for Hillary Clinton, but I am scared about those things too. Don’t blame me. Work with me.

No, gently caress you. I do blame you because at the end of the day, your so-called "conscience" didn't give a poo poo about those things. Other people would say that she could be turned into an ally, but I am skeptical as gently caress because as soon as the stars don't align, she is going to dump us for whatever is convenient.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 12, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Speaking of Comic book movies, Black Panther may be the only comic book movie I watch outside of the Captain America ones.

To me, they have mostly been boring poo poo, but hopefully a new perspective can change that. I guess the whole connected universe thing for me falls flat when the movies that they lead up to turn out to be boring as hell.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

All I know is that there are a lot of comic book fans that are horribly racist. See: anytime you change a comic book character to a black person.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

Speaking of comic books, the new young black woman who is going to be Iron Man's replacement had her first issue come out.

I was excited for this until I got to the middle of the comic and:

Her seemingly middle class family was having a picnic in the park when suddenly a random drive-by comes and kills her step dad and her best friend

Why do white writers think the only two black backgrounds is hood violence or the Huxtables?

Media portrayals. Anyone who thinks that they aren't important is ignorant as gently caress. I mean even if not for how society views people, think about how kids feel when they have no heroes that look like them. It's part of the reason that I was hoping that the new Ghostbusters movie would succeed. We all need our heroes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Necroskowitz posted:

I keep seeing this comic making the rounds around the internet. While this is explicitly focused on Islamophobic bigotry it seems like it could be applied to anti-black harassment.

This just seems like a variation of the old "Just ignore the bullies and they'll go away" advice certain parents give their kids in school that never works. It seems like it'd be really jarring for someone being harassed to suddenly get engaged by a random lady asking about the weather. Has anyone who has been in a scenario like this found this to be an effective strategy?

This would freak me the gently caress out because how do you know the person asking the questions aren't in on the harassment?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

He lost by like 3 million votes. People are just looking for excuses to double down on economic issues while ignoring other stuff.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Lt. Danger posted:

Why are you assuming that racists are rational actors, though?

They aren't. If they were rational actors, they wouldn't be racist in the first place.

But you can see the pushback from a lot of stuff in terms of identity politics. Gamergate was a large part of that kind of pushback which was very poorly hidden behind the flimsiest of excuses with "ethics in games journalism". People are just so drat upset that gaming publications have the nerve to comment on social issues such as representation in games.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

People are responsible for their beliefs and actions. If their rationale informs their actions then they are rational actors. Just because their reasons are stupid doesn't exonerate them from being reasoning people.

Just because they are irrational doesn't excuse them from being responsible for it. There is nothing rational about racism. But just because they are irrational, doesn't mean they are stupid either. They know all about dogwhistles and all that poo poo and when your end goal is simply white supremacy, you will sacrifice a bunch of other poo poo to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

No, what the hell is wrong with you people that you can't have a civil discussion about something. Stop channeling loving CSPAM.

What the hell do you mean, "You people"? Also, Koalas March is black. Please leave.

Rexicon1 posted:

I just think that letting people off the hook for racism by saying "oh they don't come to their conclusions from their beliefs and thoughts" is incorrect.

No one is letting anyone off the hook for anything.

• Locked thread