Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I can't believe you've done this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Would a Sanders Warren ticket have won this?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chump Farts posted:

Unknown, counterfactuals are hard to prove. However, I suspect that Trump did not prevail due to a lack of hectoring speeches, which - as wonderful as both of those people are - seemed to be their primary strength.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Chump Farts posted:

tbh I don't think so. Trump won because of depressed minority turnout and racist hicks voting in droves. Bernie sucked at exciting minorities and whites will always go for the negative populist option over the positive one, 100% of the time

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

I assume with the latter part you mean he's going to appease a section of the country as it falls into secession? I think the big problem here in a way, is that there is not geographic continuity between the homes of what I guess you could call, in a very generic way, 'blue state people.' While there is a little state identity and regional identity, I don't think it veers into "nationalism."

So I don't think the South is gonna secede unless they actually do reinstate for-real, original-recipe slavery (which seems implausible) or find some other distinguishing underlying economic bullshit.

I meant states rights, as in for us lefties they only matter when we're out of power and the conservatives try to tell states they can't be decent to their own populations.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Chump Farts posted:

Probably not, polling severely underestimated the white turnout and their enthusiasm for Trump. Best case scenario the would have picked up all of Jill Stein's voters.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
This is the worst day of my life, and I've attempted suicide on three separate occasions. Just sent this email to my father:

quote:

Dad,

Anne told me that you wrote in yourself for president and bragged about it on Facebook.

I saw this on a web forum that I frequent: "I can't bring myself to vote for Hillary. Writing in Dickbutt or something and voting on local poo poo here in Georgia."

This is why no one should ever throw away their vote. You didn't affect the outcome in NY by writing in yourself for president, but plenty of other people in swing states and likely Democrat states thought like you, and now we have a racist sexist xenophobic white nationalist sociopathic sexual predator president-elect whose party will control all 3 branches of government.

They are going to make abortion illegal again, repeal marriage equality, ignore our treaty obligations, gut social welfare programs, cause a global economic depression, and actively deny that climate change is even happening while the world goes to Hell. Every single hard-fought progressive victory of the last 40 years is now on the chopping block.

You should NEVER throw your vote away. The correct way to deal with a flawed two-party system is to engage in the process and then in the final moment vote for the best (or the least objectionable) candidate. The protest votes, disdain, and apathy of millions of people who, like you, treated our most fundamental right as a joke may have just doomed our republic.

I will not be attending Thanksgiving dinner this year. I have little to be thankful for, and many things to mourn.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

plushpuffin posted:

This is the worst day of my life, and I've attempted suicide on three separate occasions. Just sent this email to my father:

Hey do you have someone to talk to?

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
I think one of the more interesting things to come out of this election is how many people in DnD would dismiss polls showing that Clinton was behind by saying they over sampled white people. Now that we've got the election results it seems the opposite is true.

Which should be really concerning going forward. White rage is still a hot commodity in US politics.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
haha remember when dems owned both houses and the presidency and couldnt even pass a health care bill without gutting it

and then they passed a weird limp-wristed insurance reform and didnt do anything they promised and lost the entirety of progressive reform for the last fifty years in an election

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Nessus posted:

Unknown, counterfactuals are hard to prove.

Especially in a campaign that was so ruled by random events. If the 'grab them by the pussy' tape came out a few weeks later, Hillary could have won easily.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Man I don't even know what to think anymore.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

entire island of cuba to be turned into supergitmo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gay murder ruled legal in a 7-2 decision

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please
I cannot believe he loving won

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

corn in the bible posted:

im thinking we should organize a bet on how far back the scotus deletion is gonna go. gay marriage is obvious, roe v wade is obvious, letting gays organize on campus is obvious, etc. but will they go back on brown v board? who knows! maybe even further!

first, Sullivan v. Nytimes, followed by marbury v. madison

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

haha remember when dems owned both houses and the presidency and couldnt even pass a health care bill without gutting it

Dems never really had both houses, they had 51 (Lieberman counting) with Ted Kennedy dying while the vote was being taken. His replacement voted yes on the Senate bill, got removed in the special election by a Republican. So they basically had to run with the already voted Senate version in the House as there was zero chance in getting it through otherwise.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh gently caress. :( I literally had nightmares about this last night. Please tell me I'm still dreaming.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chump Farts posted:

As far as I can tell a swing of a couple of tens of thousands of votes in a few rust belt states (specifically WI, MI and PA) would have swung the election, and those would seem to be fertile ground for some Bernie-style economic populism, so it's at least probable.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cythereal posted:

Oh gently caress. :( I literally had nightmares about this last night. Please tell me I'm still dreaming.

I'll tell you you're dreaming, because a lie is better than the waking nightmare.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Seriously though, shook nate was right

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please
Guys, the Supreme Court.

Fuuuuuuuck

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

plushpuffin posted:

Are you for real? The internet has turned my sense for genuine human emotion into a big callus, so I legitimately can't tell if you're for real or just mocking someone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Reaganomicon posted:

Guys, the Supreme Court.

Fuuuuuuuck

If you're not a wealthy, straight, white, politically conservative man the next four to eight years and possibly beyond are going to be goddamn awful. Probably beyond given the Supreme Court and Congress.

Rest of the world, I am so freaking sorry. :( I have no idea how we let this happen.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Why did this happen? Please someone explain :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Moved this from the election thread:

Scent of Worf posted:

Black people being murdered by police? ... The unfair sentencing biases that put black men away for many more years compared to white men.
You understand that these are the same problem, right? All you have to do is read the Ferguson report to realize that the same power dynamics that cause the police to target black people in greater numbers for socioeconomic reasons also results in more violent encounters, right? Also - even if your statistic about the per-capita rates of shootings being the same are true, which I doubt - when black men are shot there are far fewer consequences for the shooters, whether they are police or otherwise, and this is very, very consistent.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I seriously almost had a panic attack last night. I have no idea what this rear end in a top hat is going to do.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Turns out America was poo poo all along.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Reaganomicon posted:

Guys, the Supreme Court.

Fuuuuuuuck

:suicide:

gently caress you, America.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bates posted:

I seriously almost had a panic attack last night. I have no idea what this rear end in a top hat is going to do.

Get impeached.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
What really pisses me off is the total cowardice of it. Trump didn't win off the backs of his rabid rally supporters, he won because of all the spineless fucks who stayed silent all year long, even in anonymous polling, and then quietly pulled the lever for Trump. It feels like the end of an Outer Limits episode, where you realize that what you thought was reality was just a cruel lie the whole time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lawman 0 posted:

Turns out America was poo poo all along.

The more reason to make it great.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Gridlocked posted:

People losing their jobs, seeing their neighbourhoods changed, uncertain future. Racism will undoubtedly have been a factor, and the media as well.

Hillary being the most unpopular candidate ever didn't help either. And did she even have a campaign slogan?

My takeaway: people are afraid, poor, and a bunch of them are racist. We've seen what the result of ignoring this was in 1940, and we're seeing it again now.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gridlocked posted:

Because America is a country full of idiot manchildren?

Seriously, though, it's a combination of racism and Hillary being a garbage candidate.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

John_A_Tallon posted:

Are you for real? The internet has turned my sense for genuine human emotion into a big callus, so I legitimately can't tell if you're for real or just mocking someone.

I am not mocking anyone. I am severely depressed and terrified for the future of humanity.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Gridlocked posted:

globalism is over

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
My wife wept for most of the night. I couldn't sleep. I have so many LGBT friends and family and they are in so much trouble right now. Some of my now former friends have been attacking her saying they voted for trump to prevent war with Russia, Bernouts for Stein/Johnson, or Wikileaks.

I am so scared for my country right now... I have never been this scared

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Bates posted:

Presidential elections happen. lovely candidates get in. Donald Trump isn't the first, and he won't be the last. Time has a way of erasing problems of the day. In 10 years we're gonna look back on this day and find things are pretty wildly different. I hope SA is still around in that time, because I hope this post gets archived.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 9, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Presidential elections happen. lovely candidates get in. Donald Trump isn't the first, and he won't be the last. Time has a way of erasing problems of the day.

yeah but 50 years for all the scotus peeps to die sure sucks a lot to wait through!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dreylad posted:

Sorry man, but

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/796222773970567171

This kind of narrative needs to change, because while white people caused a lot of trouble, they were not the Democrats only problem.

This is disingenuous as gently caress. If you remove white women from that whole "54% of his support was PoC and women" it drops to like 7 something percent. White women overwhelmingly helped Trump win this, not PoC, so yes, Americas problem is what it's always been: white people.

• Locked thread