Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The title sums it up. Trump vowed to do all sorts of things, but those would all happen at the Federal level. So Obama can just blanket pardon her right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
That would require him to know what exactly Hillary will be charged with, and even though I'm sure Trump has an answer for that it will probably go nowhere, leading him to try another talking point, then another, repeat forever

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If Trump has Hillary prosecuted the next Democratic president will do the same to him.

Once that Pandora's box is open, well...

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

If Trump has Hillary prosecuted the next Democratic president will do the same to him.

Once that Pandora's box is open, well...

If that box opens, there will be no Democratic president. That's it. There is no such thing as Republican restraint or MAD anymore. They're a suicide cult that worships at the alters of Ayn Rand and N.B. Forrest.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

DarklyDreaming posted:

That would require him to know what exactly Hillary will be charged with, and even though I'm sure Trump has an answer for that it will probably go nowhere, leading him to try another talking point, then another, repeat forever

Ford issued a blanket pardon for Nixon (and paid for it).

However, I think Obama would not want to do anything like this, and Clinton would not accept it even if offered, because she didn't actually commit a crime. I think Clinton at this point would actually welcome the opportunity of becoming politically martyred by Trump. I think she cares too much about America to use something like a pardon to slink away.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Antti posted:

However, I think Obama would not want to do anything like this, and Clinton would not accept it even if offered, because she didn't actually commit a crime. I think Clinton at this point would actually welcome the opportunity of becoming politically martyred by Trump. I think she cares too much about America to use something like a pardon to slink away.

Considering the demands of his followers, and his choice of Guliani as his AG, this might be more accurate.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

On the other hand, Trump might blanch at following through given what the NY establishment might do to him. It's a pretty forlorn hope to depend on his vanity and ego, but they're the constants here.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Trump will not lock her up any more than we'll see construction on a glorious wall on the Mexican border. It's all hot air.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

935 posted:

Trump will not lock her up any more than we'll see construction on a glorious wall on the Mexican border. It's all hot air.

And if Trump is too stupid to know that?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Obama cares about his legacy. He's come out of this with high approval ratings which will only rise as the Trumpapocalypse progresses and the left eats itself. He's not going to risk being "that guy who pardoned his predecessor" in the history books.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Pardon Hillary for what crime, exactly?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Being a woman in politics.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Obama cares about his legacy. He's come out of this with high approval ratings which will only rise as the Trumpapocalypse progresses and the left eats itself. He's not going to risk being "that guy who pardoned his predecessor" in the history books.

Hillary is not his predecessor.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mozi posted:

Pardon Hillary for what crime, exactly?

Being irresponsible for e-mails which is tantamount to high treason in the minds of Trumps supporters.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Being irresponsible for e-mails which is tantamount to high treason in the minds of Trumps supporters.

They only pretend to care about that and Benghazi. It gives them a convenient excuse to pretend that the reason isn't spite and racism.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

SSNeoman posted:

Yes but she didn't commit a crime, so it's not something Obama could pardon her for.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
He can't pardon her for whatever trumped-up charges Trump is going to throw at her, because he doesn't know what they will be.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Trump won't do poo poo about Hillary just as he won't do poo poo about almost any campaign promise to any real extent. He's a lazy fuckwit regarding anything but showmanship.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
Missing some Fwd: Fwd: Fwd:s and it needs to be in ALL CAPS.

I hesitate to say something like "it's unnecessary because It's not going to happen, he's all talk", but as this year has proven, well...

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The best part about the threat to prosecute Hilary is that when Trump announced he wouldn't do so, he said it was because didn't want her to suffer rather than because he didn't believe she was guilty. He talks like a king granting mercy or delivering punishment at his own discretion rather than an elected official bound by laws.

In fact the next four years are going to bring us a lot of reminders that when Washington, Hamilton, Madison and the rest designed the current constitution they very consciously modeled the office of the presidency on the British monarch, creating what amounted to an elected emperor. Trump is gonna fill that role much more appropriately than some nerd like Obama.

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010

Helsing posted:

The best part about the threat to prosecute Hilary is that when Trump announced he wouldn't do so, he said it was because didn't want her to suffer rather than because he didn't believe she was guilty. He talks like a king granting mercy or delivering punishment at his own discretion rather than an elected official bound by laws.

In fact the next four years are going to bring us a lot of reminders that when Washington, Hamilton, Madison and the rest designed the current constitution they very consciously modeled the office of the presidency on the British monarch, creating what amounted to an elected emperor. Trump is gonna fill that role much more appropriately than some nerd like Obama.

Lol, like that kind of thing doesn't happen in politics all the time. It's just rhetoric and words. Funny you're not critizing Hillary for actually breaking the law as an elected official. That's what this is about. Hillary breaking the law by using a private email server for government emails. But no, you whine about Trump's choice of words concerning her prosecution. Where he is saying he doesn't want her to suffer. That's a lot more sympathetic than what Clinton has been doing to people, like in Libya. But who cares about that, everything Trump says or does is wrong because the media said so.

Stockholm Syndrome fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 24, 2016

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SSNeoman posted:

While being a Democrat. Trump's email server was still publicly accessible and running out of date software last I knew.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

Lol, like that kind of thing doesn't happen in politics all the time. It's just rhetoric and words. Funny you're not critizing Hillary for actually breaking the law as an elected official. That's what this is about. Hillary breaking the law by using a private email server for government emails. But no, you whine about Trump's choice of words concerning her prosecution. Where he is saying he doesn't want her to suffer. That's a lot more sympathetic than what Clinton has been doing to people, like in Libya. But who cares about that, everything Trump says or does is wrong because the media said so.

B- for effort.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

No poo poo it happens all the time, but previous presidents were intelligent and disciplined enough not to shove it in everyone's face because they understood that projecting the right appearance is an important part of exercising power. I've got nothing but contempt for Clinton but that doesn't make Trump's extremely tawdry and low-class attempts at statesmanship any less funny.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
what can hillary do if trump pardons obama

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's only words and rhetoric that have no consequence, like that one time a GDR official accidentally declared East Germany's borders open, and the Berlin Wall fell the next day.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obama won't even go over Congress's head and force through Garner.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Funny you're not critizing Hillary for actually breaking the law as an elected official. That's what this is about. Hillary breaking the law by using a private email server for government emails.

So you also want George the Second and Dick Cheney prosecuted for using the gwb43.com domain for their emails?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Email, Libya, Media. So this is a real trump supporter?

Yes your guy lies too which a whole lot of us knew all along. He dramatically announced he was going to prosecute Hilary in the middle of a debate and was "lying" (an anti-Hilary definition of lying anyways) about it all along. Now we get to watch you repeat the "Hilary is a liar" refrain while justifying Trump's one by one.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Antti posted:

Is there a mechanism for not accepting a pardon?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

you admit guilt, legally speaking, by accepting one

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

United States v. Wilson

The court decided that:

quote:

A pardon is a deed, to the validity of which delivery is essential, and delivery is not complete without acceptance. It may then be rejected by the person to whom it is tendered; and if it is rejected, we have discovered no power in this court to force it upon him.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Antti posted:

The difference is Ford was in office for a while after Nixon got out, Obama basically only has a couple months.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hillary hasn't committed any crimes that can be prosecuted and were Obama to pardon Hillary anyway it wouldn't matter because if she gets prosecuted by Trump it won't be through the legal system

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

Hillary hasn't committed any crimes that can be prosecuted and were Obama to pardon Hillary anyway it wouldn't matter because if she gets prosecuted by Trump it won't be through the legal system

Evading FOIA is a crime.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mugrim posted:

Evading FOIA is a crime.

Which is irrelevant because the FBI investigation concluded she didn't do this.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Kit Walker posted:

Hilary probably did commit crimes and break the rules but it's not that simple. She was the Secretary of State. Anyone who thinks any secretary of state under any administration in any party would go to jail for incompetence related to emails is dumb. Yes a regular guy 5 levels down might have for doing the same thing. Welcome to life.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Which is irrelevant because the FBI investigation concluded she didn't do this.

The FBI investigation concluded she didn't purposefully store classified material on a private server, I never saw anything about evading FOIA, simply classified materials. Feel free to correct me with a source.

Edit: Purposefully.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The "Hillary is a criminal" thing was an astroturfed pile of bullshit propaganda invented by the right wing hate machine to stain her. That's it; that's all it is. I'm pretty sure they knew full well that she would never, ever end up in jail over it but that's exactly what they needed. To the right wing base she was a criminal that should be fought and destroyed at all costs; she is an unperson to them. If she ever did actually get prosecuted/thrown in jail they'd have to pick a new Great Enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

asdf32 posted:

Hilary probably did commit crimes and break the rules but it's not that simple. She was the Secretary of State. Anyone who thinks any secretary of state under any administration in any party would go to jail for incompetence related to emails is dumb. Yes a regular guy 5 levels down might have for doing the same thing. Welcome to life.

Someone further down the food chain wouldn't have gone to jail for doing what she did, either. It's a completely baseless claim. Stuff like that doesn't get prosecuted because it would only lead to people hiding security breaches rather than being forthcoming about it

• Locked thread