Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She's being imprisoned by the government for committing treason. Leaking poo poo to wiki leaks isn't whistleblowing. There's actually a process for whisteblowing in the military. If Manning went to her congressman or the Inspector General or the Office of Special Counsel with her issues she wouldn't be in prison. It's that simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

America Is Already Great.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

thethreeman posted:

Sherrod Brown finishes his 2nd term in 2018, has populist cred, super popular in ohio, will be a bit old at 68 in 2020, but still in the game. He might have just won a OH Gov race in 2018 too

Yeah why aren't people talking about Sherrod Brown, he's a populist, a friend of Bernie (though he endorsed Clinton in the primary), and seems like an ideal candidate to patch over Clinton's weakest areas, ie. the rust belt.

Yinlock posted:

Punished Bernie

Politics has changed...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I want to meet Zach and I want to hug him, and tell him that somehow we're going to find a way through this bullshit.

Together.:911:

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

She's being imprisoned by the government for committing treason. Leaking poo poo to wiki leaks isn't whistleblowing. There's actually a process for whisteblowing in the military. If Manning went to her congressman or the Inspector General or the Office of Special Counsel with her issues she wouldn't be in prison. It's that simple.

That's horse poo poo. Article 3 of the U.S. Constitution states:

quote:

Treason against the United States shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

Hmmm no. She was convicted of Violating the Espionage Act, stealing government property, violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and multiple counts of disobeying orders. She was specifically found not guilty of more serious offences like aiding the enemy. Whistle-blowing doesn't exist in the military outside of proper military channels. Its the way the law is written unfortunately.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jon Stewart

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Larry Parrish posted:

Do you believe that if Chelsea had followed those protocols, changes would have been made? That the people who were gleefully murdering civilians from a gunship would have faced serious public repercussions*, say?

*Keeping in mind that the military did nothing to them even after everyone found out, lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i have a hard time giving a poo poo about however damaging chelsea manning's actions might have been while the americans who literally tortured prisoners to death are still free because "we mustn't be too sanctimonious"

we all know it's embarrassment that's the real crime in the government's eyes here

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Freemason Rush Week posted:

America Is Already Great.

I heard that is because America is Good. confirm/deny?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

SirPhoebos posted:

Jon Stewart

holy poo poo yes

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

SirPhoebos posted:

Jon Stewart

oh holy poo poo no

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

SirPhoebos posted:

Jon Stewart

:whitewater:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

We need a Bernie Sanders type but younger and with a history of sexual assault.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pity Party Animal posted:

Hmmm no. She was convicted of Violating the Espionage Act, stealing government property, violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and multiple counts of disobeying orders. She was specifically found not guilty of more serious offences like aiding the enemy. Whistle-blowing doesn't exist in the military outside of proper military channels. Its the way the law is written unfortunately.

She was not literally convicted of treason but uhh are you retarded dude. 'Whistle-blowing doesn't exist outside the proper military channels' that's for a reason you loving idiot. Is the Pentagon insanely backwards and retarded? Yes, but that's the fault of the Democrats and Republicans allowing generals to become mouthpieces for defense contractors and politicizing the strategy of the DoD. It serves both parties interests to give big fat welfare bucks to DoD contractors so, like literally every other problem in the nation it's a symptom of the sheltered capitalist elite being deaf to what the nation needs and wants.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

FrensaGeran posted:

So Nate Parker then?

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

quote:

Bernie Sanders
+
Tulsi Gabbard VP

this plz, need tulsi as vp for if bernie croaks before his term ends

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FrensaGeran posted:

Anthony Weiner isn't quite there yet but four years is a long time

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bernie/Warren or Bernie/Gabbard or something

unless Warren or somebody becomes more popular than Bernie in the next four years, but I dunno if that'll hapoen

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Guys I know I made both threads, but the Wikipedia thread is over there ------->

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Bernie/Warren or Bernie/Gabbard

The sexual tension alone assures us the white vote.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Chuck Schumer endorsed Keith Ellison for DNC chair, the progressive wing is about to take over the DNC

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FrensaGeran posted:

The sexual tension alone assures us the white vote.

Bernie/Warren is my OTP (optimal ticket population) :syoon:

No but seriously Warren is too valuable of a senator to waste on the vice presidency, gabbard or bust

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

Chuck Schumer endorsed Keith Ellison for DNC chair, the progressive wing is about to take over the DNC

I really hope this but I'm worried we're getting all excited over a brief blip before the clintonites uncoup the coup :ohdear:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

loquacius posted:

Bernie/Warren is my OTP (optimal ticket population) :syoon:

No but seriously Warren is too valuable of a senator to waste on the vice presidency, gabbard or bust

The thing is that if Bernie actually runs in 2020 there's a fairly large chance he'd die in office.

This is important in two ways. 1. If he won the VP might be President soon, and 2. People would say this during the campaign and would want the VP to be somebody they'd vote for for Pres.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

loquacius posted:

I really hope this but I'm worried we're getting all excited over a brief blip before the clintonites uncoup the coup :ohdear:

The Clintonites are done and Tim Kaine has signaled the support of his NOVA dems will go to which ever leader emerges from the Left. Chuck Schumer has already Agreed to back Bernie's pick for DNC chair. That's two of the biggest political machines on the east coast ready to admit nobody wants to vote for third way candidates anymore.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Chuck Schumer is also set to be Senate minority leader in January, which would make him the highest "authority" in the Democratic party.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

I know everyone has fond memories of Warren from all the finger-wagging she's done at bankers, but did you ever notice she doesn't actually... do anything? She won't stick her neck out unless she knows it'll go over well, and she has some pretty bad positions (e.g. Israel/Palestine) that will not fly with millennials.

This is not the time for cautious politicians.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm all in for Keith Ellison and what convinced me was this perfect tweet.

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/797120114042793984

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I know everyone has fond memories of Warren from all the finger-wagging she's done at bankers, but did you ever notice she doesn't actually... do anything? She won't stick her neck out unless she knows it'll go over well, and she has some pretty bad positions (e.g. Israel/Palestine) that will not fly with millennials.

Bernie has a similar position, unfortunately. But I'm not one for ideological purity, so he is fine with me.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

She can probably be convinced to go a fair bit harder with Cheeto Benito and the Tea Party Krew in power

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

The only Chelsea Democrats should be talking about right now is Manning.

obama's final action as president should consist of simultaneously pardoning manning while zero dark thirtying assange

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

devtesla posted:

I'm all in for Keith Ellison and what convinced me was this perfect tweet.

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/797120114042793984

that guy is high up at the NYT? :eyepop:

they're all just completely clueless aren't they? they're loving incompetents masquerading as technocrats

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I was more of the school of thought that we needed someone a little more middle of the road like Hillary before the election, but after this I'm fully on board with going all the way in the progressive direction. The party needs a shakeup, and I think Ellison could be the one to do it. I'm officially feeling the bern.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

they're all just completely clueless aren't they? they're loving incompetents masquerading as technocrats

His apology was incredibly stupid too

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/797177951733317632

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gabbard/Sanders 2020

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
I don't know a ton about Gabbard - looks like the Hawaii senate/governorship aren't really possibilities before 2020 given the dem incumbents that have more terms available. Is she in line to be a committee chairperson in the house or something? Wonder if she'll be able to build up leadership stories before 2020

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Tbh as long as a candidate isnt majorly flawed and as long as Bernie directly attaches himself to a candidate it won't matter if they have a ton of experience, I mean Donald Trump had literally 0 experience.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Condiv posted:

They literally only understand identity politics. The idea that a black man named Obama might appeal to rural folks in the rust belt is beyond them, despite the past 8 years actually happening. In their current state of pain and confusion, they are incapable of processing data and are relying on their mess of preconceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ace of Baes posted:

Tbh as long as a candidate isnt majorly flawed and as long as Bernie directly attaches himself to a candidate it won't matter if they have a ton of experience, I mean Donald Trump had literally 0 experience.

Agreed. Experience is an advantage, but it can't make up for a deeply flawed candidate.

• Locked thread