Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Duckworth, I believe, wasn't born in the United States...not sure if she's eligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

dad natural born, she's good
they'd make a shitload of noise though

It'd be Obama all over again. That said, what better way to refresh in everyone's mind that Donald Trump is, indeed, a racist bigot.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Helps to not have 30 years of baggage and an email "scandal" hanging over your head your opponent can use to beat you with.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
What about Kirsten Gillibrand? I heard that she might run if Hillary hadn't in 2016.

I expect O'Malley will try again, and Tim Kaine might too, since he was the more popular half of the ticket and has none of Hillary's baggage. I could see myself voting for him. He oozes earnestness and trustworthiness, and despite the fact that he's not a super-engaging public speaker, against Trump in 2020 that won't be a huge problem. He's like America's goofy dad.

Fritz Coldcockin has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Nov 10, 2016

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

I know she won't stand up for our veterans.

I would laugh, but I remember what Saxby Chambliss did to Max Cleland in the GA Senate race--a man who lost both his legs and an arm diving on a grenade to save his squadmates. I would not put it past Trump to turn Tammy Duckworth into a military-hating coward.

And is Ellison official? I thought that was just a Bernie "sign this petition" thing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FCKGW posted:

What's wrong with President Franken?

Franken 2020: Maybe There's, Uh...Some Pretzels In The--In The Bar Car.

(Disclaimer: I love this movie and I love Al Franken, but I cannot see him on television without thinking of that line.)

Fritz Coldcockin has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Nov 17, 2016

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
No one seems to agree on the real reason for what happened this cycle.

Only thing I can see is that no one loving showed up. 54% participation in a Presidential year is abysmal. That still doesn't explain the multitude of state polling in places like Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Florida that consistently showed Hillary ahead.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Well What Now posted:

All she needs to do in response is wave her prosthetics at the cameras and say "How do you think I got these, you orange motherfucker?"

Obviously she cut them off herself in anticipation of a Presidential run in 2020, where she would position herself as a war hero.*

*a thing that many people will believe without question

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FCKGW posted:

As far as the polls, I think people were just embarrassed to admit they were voting Trump.

Was it this or was it just that his people turned out and Hillary's didn't? Again, 54% turnout is loving godawful, and low turnout pretty much ensures Republicans win every time. It would be more comforting, somehow, to know that "bigger turnout = better for Democrats" still holds true.

If it is the other thing, then how does this not render state polling useless from here on out? No one will trust it, period.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Of course, I'd hope we wouldn't have another election where people were ashamed to say they supported their candidate.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

LGD posted:

It's kind of crazy to claim it wasn't a turnout thing because one area that you already had locked up voted for you even more overwhelmingly than they did in the past, while you lost regions that were formerly safe because the number of people willing to vote for you demonstrably fell. That's 100% a turnout thing, and all that running up the score in California accomplishes is giving lazy pundits fuel for quadrennial "abolish the electoral college" thinkpieces and making your base on the coast look out of touch with the parts of the country where support has collapsed.

Yeah. It gives me hope that maybe a candidate not named Hillary Clinton who runs even a semi-competent campaign could beat Trump in 2020.

Seriously, for the entire political season, I kept thinking "We nominated the ONE person in the world who could gently caress this up somehow."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

loquacius posted:

I never liked Clinton either but this is still a dumb idea to me

Like, I'm trying hard to imagine a Martin O'Malley candidacy inspiring the Rust Belt left to go out and vote instead of staying home, and it's not working

also: remember that Lincoln Chafee was a thing. Imagine the Chafee/Trump debates. Trump would have somehow given Chafee a swirlie on stage.

No, Martin O'Malley had issues with minority communities from his time as Baltimore's mayor.

My point is that Democrats can't despair just because we don't get an Obama every election cycle. He was the exception, not the rule.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
My fear is that Andrew Cuomo will jump in and just like with Hillary, the field will be cleared for him.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Haha is there seriously like anyone not on Trump's State shortlist

I'm fairly sure I'm on it somewhere

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Jesus Christ, if this doesn't disqualify her in the minds of any sane liberal for 2020...

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
In all seriousness I don't think we'll see Hillary in 2020. I think she knows just how badly she blew this and her abrupt disappearance from the public eye lends credence to my theory, and losing to Donald loving Trump in a Presidential election when you were the heavy favorite for like 6 goddamn months is not something you come back from.

NOTE: This is in no way a defense of Hillary Clinton's campaign or Hillary herself. It's merely my reason for why there won't be a Hillary III: This Time We Mean It.

Fritz Coldcockin has issued a correction as of 20:12 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

logikv9 posted:

tulsi liked the sound of perpetual middle Eastern wars

Why was Tulsi Gabbard considered a viable standard bearer for anything again?

• Locked thread