Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
Any cautionary tales or suggestions for ways to lighten the mood, topics to avoid, etc...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016
I can't even get the courage together to call my mother, who screamed at me every week for the past year about how awful Trump is BECAUSE HE'S JUST LIKE YOUR FATHER and it's all my fault he won the GOP primary.

tips appreciated tyvm

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
If you celebrate Thanksgiving one thing you could do, at least during dinner, is talk about how good the food is.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I don't think liberals have families

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I think everyone needs to Focus on the Family this holiday season god bless

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
apologize for all the horrible poo poo that's about to happen

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

Pinback posted:

apologize for all the horrible poo poo that's about to happen

Sorry family, we're going to be funding local civil engineering projects rather than just hand our money to armed Jihadi's the next few years. I'm sure we'll pull through.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Im not going home for any of the holidays this year, because my extended family are all rabid Trump fans.

My parents are also bailing on the holidays for the same reason.

Dont think Im going to see any of my aunts and uncles for a few years most likely, and Im not particularly upset about that.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

My father has his own family and is several hundred miles away so I don't have any awkwardness over whether I want to keep chatting with him or stop completely. He voted for Trump because deep down Trump was better for his libertarian/Tea Party politics so in addition to other fun things like molesting my sister and treating my mother like dirt I probably won't miss being on speaking terms with him if I decide it's over. My aunt on my mother's side who lives nearby is easy as long as she doesn't bring it up (which she won't since she was not a fan of Trump in the slightest). Even if she did vote for Trump it was because Clinton was a bad candidate in her eyes, not because Trump was good, and that's enough to forgive even though it would hurt to know. My mother I got to vote for Rubio at least and mostly Dem downballot, not that it did any good, and my paternal uncle is just a bit less liberal than I am so I am pretty solid otherwise!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm super excited for the massive increases in government spending from the party that gives a gently caress about the national debt.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

ScrubLeague posted:

I'm super excited for the massive increases in government spending from the party that gives a gently caress about the national debt.

Don't worry. They'll offset it by gutting education and taking out a few more mortgages on social security.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Mom's side: doesn't exist

Dad's side: Leftists anyway, gonna be great (except Uncle)

In-laws: literally voted for Trump, otherwise apolitical but Bernie supporters. Don't like them anyway. Looking forward to screaming at them while eating their delicious food and drinking all of their beer and liquor.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

politics isnt worth avoiding/destroying your family you dumb spergs

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah you should argue about religion.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Honestly, when I thought Trump was going to lose I was kinda worried about my fire-breathing, 'go back to Africa', Trump-supporting cousin showing up to murder us all ala that dude in the Santa costume a couple years ago. Now I figure he'll just show up to devour some green beans and then just bounce. Which is what everyone was hoping for all along. So I guess it works out?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't have any liberal relatives. I only vote Republican on like 90% of the ballot, so I guess actually I'm the liberal relative.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My immediate family hasn't done Thanksgiving with our extended family for a few years and we're also all going overseas for Christmas so *shrug*

The overseas trip was planned a few months ago but it looks fairly prescient now!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
My dad likes Hillary Clinton. I like Bernie Sanders.

This will be awkward.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ScrubLeague posted:

i'm super excited to get blamed for the debt donald trump causes in 4 years when we take the white house back

i think i'm going to push for a two person thanksgiving at home because i'm not feeling very thankful for the rest of our family this year

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
There are deep and vicious political divides in my family, not to mention religion/lifestyle disagreements. Half the family thinks the other half is literally going to burn in hell for eternity if we don't change our ways.

We're all going to get together for the holidays and have a nice, pleasant time because we love each other and--like functional adults--we focus on the things we agree on and avoid talking about things that cause discord

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

There are deep and vicious political divides in my family, not to mention religion/lifestyle disagreements. Half the family thinks the other half is literally going to burn in hell for eternity if we don't change our ways.

We're all going to get together for the holidays and have a nice, pleasant time because we love each other and--like functional adults--we focus on the things we agree on and avoid talking about things that cause discord

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
Nah, I'm dying my hair orange and using lots of spray tan

I missed out on Halloween, you see

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016
during my ban from placating hillary voters with a troll toxx, i discovered the answer: just remain silent majority.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

My mom's side of the family is republican and my aunts weren't rabid Trump supports but they voted for him because they think he'll stop the baby killing. Thankfully my republican parents felt the Johnson instead.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

CalvinCoolidge posted:

Sorry family, we're going to be funding local civil engineering projects rather than just hand our money to armed Jihadi's the next few years. I'm sure we'll pull through.

high hopes I see

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I think if your family is liberal and conservative it's easier to bridge the gap because the Democratic Party definitely airballed the election on fundamental issues and misread every sign.

The real, get drunk and scream at each other, Thanksgiving is going to centralist liberals and true leftists in the same family. We've gotten along more or less for the last 8 years because Obama was such a charismatic fluke.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.
I'll be from the other side of the aisle and it's strange.

I want to ask a question to Trump supporters here without judging and slinging mud.

I should also say I hated Hillary and only voted for her because having Republicans in control of any branch of government is basically always bad. Most of the worst parts of Democratic control on steroids (Cronyism, corruption, lobbying, throwing workers under the bus), but with the bonus of limiting access to reproductive health/healthcare in general, destroying education, disenfranchising women and PoC, and an even itchier trigger finger for military intervention than the Ds.

I just want to know to honestly know why people supported Trump in bigger numbers than most thought plausible.

He has no religious convictions and has been proven to be a serial sexual assaulter, he bragged about it for fucks sake.

Trump himself is elitist, born rich, and cheated/bungled his way through his entire professional life by avoiding taxes, bribing people, and using daddy's money. He's an opportunist with no qualms about screwing over average joes to enrich himself (doesn't pay contractors, Trump Foundation buying a 50,000 dollar portrait of Trump).

I want to gently caress the establishment as much as the next guy but how is guy buddy buddy with he billionaires that gutted this country going to help average American people?

I honestly want to know what was the motivation. Trolling liberals? Changing up the system? Dislike for cultures that are being co-opted into America?

I'm genuinely curious and do not want a flame war. Half my family are Trump supporters and are not rabid racists or really bad people. I want to know to talk with them on Thanksgiving with understanding of why they voted Trump.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
My family are mostly Tina Feyminists who adored Hillary. We have actually had good conversations and they seem to realize that we goofed so I would love Thanksgiving with them and even if they didn't change their minds I would still love them and have a good time because they are my family and I like my family for the most part.

However, I had long ago decided to spend Thanksgiving with my girlfriend's family. Her immediate family is okay but they have this big family reunion every year the day after Thanksgiving and it's all rural Ohio evangelicals. I'm not really looking forward to it but I'll bring some boardgames and try to not talk politics.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm visiting some Trump supporting relatives next week and it's going to be fine because the entire campaign we've been talking so I understand where they're coming from and they know where I'm coming from. Really the only thing we clash over is whether or not cops should be held accountable for when they shoot unarmed black children and apparently whether or not a thirteen year old counts as a child if they're tall.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I don't have any liberal relatives so it's gonna be bad in other ways

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm wearing a hammer and sickle pin on my jacket to thanksgiving

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

My mom and sister were for trump, while my dad and myself were for hillary, so it is going to get fuckin heated!!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

RasperFat posted:

I'll be from the other side of the aisle and it's strange.

I want to ask a question to Trump supporters here without judging and slinging mud.

I should also say I hated Hillary and only voted for her because having Republicans in control of any branch of government is basically always bad. Most of the worst parts of Democratic control on steroids (Cronyism, corruption, lobbying, throwing workers under the bus), but with the bonus of limiting access to reproductive health/healthcare in general, destroying education, disenfranchising women and PoC, and an even itchier trigger finger for military intervention than the Ds.

I just want to know to honestly know why people supported Trump in bigger numbers than most thought plausible.

He has no religious convictions and has been proven to be a serial sexual assaulter, he bragged about it for fucks sake.

Trump himself is elitist, born rich, and cheated/bungled his way through his entire professional life by avoiding taxes, bribing people, and using daddy's money. He's an opportunist with no qualms about screwing over average joes to enrich himself (doesn't pay contractors, Trump Foundation buying a 50,000 dollar portrait of Trump).

I want to gently caress the establishment as much as the next guy but how is guy buddy buddy with he billionaires that gutted this country going to help average American people?

I honestly want to know what was the motivation. Trolling liberals? Changing up the system? Dislike for cultures that are being co-opted into America?

I'm genuinely curious and do not want a flame war. Half my family are Trump supporters and are not rabid racists or really bad people. I want to know to talk with them on Thanksgiving with understanding of why they voted Trump.

Its a gently caress you vote and people in that position don't think that far ahead. They do not understand how to rationalize or think out a situation or even understand how government works on a basic level, and in desperation grasp at Trump.

And in my area there are a lot of old people, they are not known for their swiftness of thought. The elderly are basically time travellers from the 1950s/60s so you can imagine they have not very progressive world views.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Sylink posted:

Its a gently caress you vote and people in that position don't think that far ahead. They do not understand how to rationalize or think out a situation or even understand how government works on a basic level, and in desperation grasp at Trump.

And in my area there are a lot of old people, they are not known for their swiftness of thought. The elderly are basically time travellers from the 1950s/60s so you can imagine they have not very progressive world views.

I mean yeah I totally understand the gently caress you vote but Trump was transparently an elite rich bastard above the law and basic decency.

I am pessimistic about America's ability to combat the legitimately fascist threat of a Trump presidency. At this point it's still speculation but he has all the trappings of a strongman demagogue, so we'll see.

He won't necessarily do that because the American governmental system is set up to allow obstructionism and slow progress in any direction. This is a fact that a lot of people on the left underplay, so hopefully our fears of poo poo getting out of control very quickly are unfounded.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

You have to remember that Fox news is treated as a reputable outlet and people have consigned themselves to their echo chambers. When you were raised to watch TV and get your news from it, everytime a Hillary is going to eat a baby story comes up, a certain amount of people believe it.

And people are ultimately selfish, they don't care about social/public goods that don't immediately help them, see this interview - http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/12/opinions/van-jones-messy-truth/index.html

The one guy claims to be a businessman ousted several times by regulation. Instead of being a smart person and, I dont know, choosing a different loving business, he hopes the government will solve his problems. This is the typical blame everyone else first mindset for Americans.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sylink posted:

On the other hand, this sort of post, as a representative of the sentiment commonly held among progressives and broadcast nationally in both media commentary and the plots to TV shows and movies, is a large part of why many people voted Trump.

When a party decides to ignore, mock, or outright vilify a large chunk of the population for ~30 years, it shouldn't surprise you that they'll eventually turn to someone else who shows them respect. It's actually quite rational; you vote for someone who you think will represent your interests. When someone says "we despise you and your entire way of life, just go and die," that person is not likely to represent your interests. If you tell coal miners you're going to put them out of work, they will vote against you.

It turns out that the Dems got high off their own supply of "changing demographics ensure we will win everything forever" and nominated a notoriously corrupt party insider whose biggest fanbase was people who have seen "Hamilton" live more than once, only to find that even if the "permanent majority" theory might be true in the long run they badly miscalculated the timeline.

It cannot be overstated just how much the national Democratic party has been kicking the ball into their own goal this election cycle.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Tell them that ruining the holiday gatherings by being unable to shut the gently caress up about the election will definitely convince you to vote for <whatever they think is a good choice> next time around.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
Bookmarking thread for gold and salt.

Want to know why people voted for Trump? Look at how the Hillary supporters are behaving. Want to know why people voted for Hillary? Look at how the Trump supporters are behaving. We live under an insane oligarchy that has no relation whatsoever to proper governance, so the people are quibbling over which they prefer- bread or circus.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
my family thanksgiving will be fuckin depressing, just thousand mile stares as we eat in silence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sylink posted:

Yeah, why would people from flyover states vote against an establishment that has overseen a complete implosion of their long term living standards without even paying them boilerplate lip service? An establishment that gives them the DNC Fight Song and Lena Dunham when they ask to be uplifted economically, to boot.

• Locked thread