Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

zegermans posted:

A 30 year old filmmaker, truly the insiderist of nepotism candidates

any man who brags about studying under Madelyn "starve those kids to death" Albright is not a good person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

i wish i had an effigy to burn every time i was mildly backed into a corner

I wish 'pragmatism' wasn't used as shorthand for "shut up and don't criticize bad candidates for being bad" but we play the hands we're dealt

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

altho as an accelerationist, it's good that children have been orphaned by ICE because it's more likely to radicalize them

Obama was certainly your guy then :discourse:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
:discoure:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Death to pragmatism

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Condiv posted:

and when said spokeperson starts speaking out publicly against singlepayer, is that pragmatic? cause it seems to me like it would cloud bauman's pro-singlepayer message to have his spokesman tooling around telling everyone that singlepayer isn't achievable.

i mean, maybe i'm not familiar enough with this spokesperson thing, but i thought the idea as the public face of the party was to espouse the party's ideals in public, not your own.

The only goal that is achievable for bad dems is taking more campaign contributions from the most loathsome special interests.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Originally I used :chef:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

but that still leaves them torpedoing mello's election cause bernie endorsed him. and perez going along with it. no matter how you slice it, it was a dumb move even if you try to remove the "attack bernie" angle from what happened. but attacking bernie was the whole point

besides, it wasn't naral that initiated the attacks, it was the WSJ

http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/...8bc68ea31e.html

basically naral stuck their nose in after dems bought wholesale lies from the WSJ about one of their own candidates. and the reason dems didn't bother to take a jaundiced look at WSJ sourced claims was cause they made a guy bernie supported look bad

they torpedoed mello's election because the DNC publicly endorsed him, and they wanted to stage a big public confrontation with the DNC to make clear that they'd fight back if the party tried to throw them under the bus like the Dems did with unions, progressives, anti-war groups, and minorities

since mayor of Omaha has absolutely no impact whatsoever on abortion rights, it was a far safer bet for them than kicking up a fuss over Kaine would have been. they backed Hillary/Kaine in November for the same reason Bernie supporters did - because Trump was even worse. there's no such risk in a mayoral race

sure, some figures who were involved in the Dem civil war did take the opportunity to insult each other over it, but that's true of literally anything that happens in the Dem party right now, and lol if you think a moderate idiot losing a local-government race against an incumbent is the result of a national anti-Bernie conspiracy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I wish 'pragmatism' wasn't used as shorthand for "shut up and don't criticize bad candidates for being bad" but we play the hands we're dealt

i wish people's real problems and struggles weren't constantly being ignored in favor of "but hillary bad!!!!!" but as trump proved u cant always get what u want

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think people are expressing frustration that hillary was so bad because maybe if she wasn't so bad people's real problems and struggles could've been addressed

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

lol you ain't worked for Her for months and you still using her lines.

as a reminder, a lot of people (as in the ones who straight up didn't vote) saw that they were bound for a bad deal either way and said gently caress it.

how many more of these "pragmatic" votes do we have to make before we will truly start the process of forming a committee to explore the possibility of future generations of Democrats maybe thinking about pushing for things other than market-based solutions and trickle-down economics?

I don't think she ever mentioned accelerationism. You don't need to remind me hillary is bad

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

it's cool that he says he's a lifelong supporter of singlepayer and then his lackeys constantly make tweets undermining it:

https://twitter.com/stevenmaviglio/status/866713338817921024

that question is a very important question to ask if you want to actually implement a single-payer system, rather than just pass a feel-good law saying someone should totally do it sometime later

in another state, the answer to that question would be "just raise taxes, dummy" but raising taxes is essentially unconstitutional in California

maybe the guy is actually against single-payer but you're doing a real piss-poor job of showing it

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

i wish people's real problems and struggles weren't constantly being ignored in favor of "but hillary bad!!!!!" but as trump proved u cant always get what u want

but, hillary bad

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Karl Barks posted:

here are my thoughts on the government folks, you ever been to a DMV??? nuff said!!!

The DMV isn't even that bad.

Terror Sweat posted:

any man who brags about studying under Madelyn "starve those kids to death" Albright is not a good person

Huh?

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 23:06 on May 30, 2017

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

it's cool that he says he's a lifelong supporter of singlepayer and then his lackeys constantly make tweets undermining it:

https://twitter.com/stevenmaviglio/status/866713338817921024

Jerry Maguire quotes: The fresh new face of the Democratic Party.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Main Paineframe posted:

they torpedoed mello's election because the DNC publicly endorsed him, and they wanted to stage a big public confrontation with the DNC to make clear that they'd fight back if the party tried to throw them under the bus like the Dems did with unions, progressives, anti-war groups, and minorities

since mayor of Omaha has absolutely no impact whatsoever on abortion rights, it was a far safer bet for them than kicking up a fuss over Kaine would have been. they backed Hillary/Kaine in November for the same reason Bernie supporters did - because Trump was even worse. there's no such risk in a mayoral race

sure, some figures who were involved in the Dem civil war did take the opportunity to insult each other over it, but that's true of literally anything that happens in the Dem party right now, and lol if you think a moderate idiot losing a local-government race against an incumbent is the result of a national anti-Bernie conspiracy

it's kinda hard to see it otherwise when naral jumped in and backed up false claims made by rightwingers. why was NARAL so quick to listen to newscorp when it came to a democrat? the answer is fairly obvious if you followed it as it happened. it was a sanders attack from start to finish (hell, it even ended with complaints that bernie endorsed ossoff too late, costing him the election!)

it started out as a right wing attack (notice that WSJ is the source of both the false claims about mello AND the paper that asked that gotcha question about whether ossoff was a progressive to bernie). newscorp tried to attack both ossoff and mello, splitting centrists off mello with "BERNIE LIKES HIM PLUS ABORTION ULTRASOUNDS!" and trying to split progressives off ossoff with "BERNIE REFUSES TO CALL OSSOFF PROGRESSIVE!!". notice that only one of those attacks worked, the one where centrists bought into newscorp lies and turned away from mello.

the dem establishment was all too happy to embrace that rightwing wedge though, which is why perez rushed to help a loving republican beat a democrat by declaring peeps like mello don't belong in the party

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

"tronk is bad" doesn't suddenly make a bad dem good, merely the lesser of two evils.

and if we did more as a party than simply wave away criticisms of establishment darlings, we could end up with candidates who are actually... good?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Main Paineframe posted:

that question is a very important question to ask if you want to actually implement a single-payer system, rather than just pass a feel-good law saying someone should totally do it sometime later

in another state, the answer to that question would be "just raise taxes, dummy" but raising taxes is essentially unconstitutional in California

maybe the guy is actually against single-payer but you're doing a real piss-poor job of showing it

yes i'm sure that was not a rhetorical question and steve maviglio was actually asking for input on how to pay for single payer

because if there's one thing twitter is known for, it's deep discussion of complex problems

:chloe:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

"tronk is bad" doesn't suddenly make a bad dem good, merely the lesser of two evils.

and if we did more as a party than simply wave away criticisms of establishment darlings, we could end up with candidates who are actually... good?

hillary bad isn't the same as both parties are the same tho

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Venom Snake posted:

I don't think she ever mentioned accelerationism. You don't need to remind me hillary is bad

https://twitter.com/hillaryclinton/status/715217490368827396

apparently you forget from time to time

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Al! posted:

according to the voting theory of value,

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
president reuben studdard

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

@stevemaviglio: tell me how to pay for singlepayer in 3 emojis or less!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Condiv posted:

@stevemaviglio: tell me how to pay for singlepayer in 3 emojis or less!

✈️🏢🏢

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

implementation details are for the weak

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

mormonpartyboat posted:

president reuben studdard

*libs rehabilitating W's legacy*

im sorry for 2004

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

where the cucks come to suck

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Turdfuzz posted:

*bzzzt*

what is this thread?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mormonpartyboat posted:

✈️🏢🏢

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Turdfuzz posted:

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

✈️🏢🏢

only 90s kidz will get this!!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Turdfuzz posted:

only 90s kidz will get this!!

🏢💥🚚

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

yea 90s kidz def got it in that one believe me

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

it's kinda hard to see it otherwise when naral jumped in and backed up false claims made by rightwingers. why was NARAL so quick to listen to newscorp when it came to a democrat?

because Perez, in his speech endorsing Mello, explicitly rejected purity tests and pointed to abortion rights specifically as something the Dems needed to open to compromise on

Tom Perez posted:

If you demand fealty on every single issue, then it’s a challenge. The Democratic Party platform acknowledges that we’re pro-choice, but there are communities, like some in Kansas, where people have a different position.

that is what got naral mad, and the president of naral specifically cites it as the reason for naral picking a fight

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

it's kinda hard to see it otherwise when naral jumped in and backed up false claims made by rightwingers. why was NARAL so quick to listen to newscorp when it came to a democrat? the answer is fairly obvious if you followed it as it happened. it was a sanders attack from start to finish (hell, it even ended with complaints that bernie endorsed ossoff too late, costing him the election!)

it started out as a right wing attack (notice that WSJ is the source of both the false claims about mello AND the paper that asked that gotcha question about whether ossoff was a progressive to bernie). newscorp tried to attack both ossoff and mello, splitting centrists off mello with "BERNIE LIKES HIM PLUS ABORTION ULTRASOUNDS!" and trying to split progressives off ossoff with "BERNIE REFUSES TO CALL OSSOFF PROGRESSIVE!!". notice that only one of those attacks worked, the one where centrists bought into newscorp lies and turned away from mello.

the dem establishment was all too happy to embrace that rightwing wedge though, which is why perez rushed to help a loving republican beat a democrat by declaring peeps like mello don't belong in the party

first, this wasn't a "false wsj claim," mello really did make lovely loving votes. the ban on telemedicine vote was a direct attack on poor, rural women without the means to drive to a city and get to an abortion clinic. and he voted to ban insurance from covering abortion in the state of nebraska. so stop calling it "lies," these are actual things he did. he LATER, *after* the controversy, promised he wouldn't do anything to restrict abortion in omaha. it's great that he shifted on this but let's not make excuses for his lovely votes solely based on bernie's blessing. i would rather he had won but i would imagine many people itt wouldn't be so big on mello if he had cast votes against, say, minimum wage instead.

second, it's not all about bernie. ilyse's tweetstorm even calls out tom perez directly. this was not about bernie sanders, it was about naral demanding the dem party push pro-choice candidates.

here is the tweetstorm:

https://twitter.com/ilyseh/status/854861723857076224

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 23:22 on May 30, 2017

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

To elaborate: after Hillary lost my life fell apart and I went through a fairly major depressive period. I really don't like her. I don't want her to run again and I don't agree with her on anything. I don't need to be reminded that Hillary Is Bad.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

both abuela and tronk boasted of friendships with kissinger. both have actually deported minors (but in hillary's case they were from honduras so I guess that wasn't serious enough to give the dnc pause). both advocated military intervention in syria. both had experience on corporate boards (walmart in abuela's case). both believe that the private sector will solve the problems in this country.

but don't think I'm saying is in direct opposition to your statement, I did vote for her after all (for all the gently caress all it did in TN). but dismissing someone who doesn't see the differences that you do doesn't make their claims invalid. especially when the task ahead of us is to give them a reason worth coming out to vote in the midterms.

(and you really are correct, tho -- both parties are not the same, because Republicans act like they want to win elections.)

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Concerned Citizen posted:

first, this wasn't a "false wsj claim," mello really did make lovely loving votes. the ban on telemedicine vote was a direct attack on poor, rural women without the means to drive to a city and get to an abortion clinic. and he voted to ban insurance from covering abortion in the state of nebraska. so stop calling it "lies," these are actual things he did. he LATER, *after* the controversy, promised he wouldn't do anything to restrict abortion in omaha. it's great that he shifted on this but let's not make excuses for his lovely votes solely based on bernie's blessing. i would rather he had won but i would imagine many people itt wouldn't be so big on mello if he had cast votes against, say, minimum wage instead.

second, it's not all about bernie. ilyse's tweetstorm even calls out tom perez directly. this was not about bernie sanders, it was about naral demanding the dem party push pro-choice candidates.

here is the tweetstorm:

https://twitter.com/ilyseh/status/854861723857076224

fake news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

beirut?

• Locked thread