Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The 2016 election was a study in the consequences of counting your eggs before they're hatched. I say it behooves everyone to stay salty until the very last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Progressive: We need to address issues that affect working class individuals, including white working class individuals.
Liberal: Okay, please stress the "white" part constantly.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Democrats are suicidal. They want to die.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Has sarah silverman apologized for betraying and insulting the bernie bros who were right yet?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Deimus posted:

Hot take: this is how our economy runs in the first place.

Get that class awareness out of here, chief. This is the democrats thread.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Trump will establish the Department of Pre-Crime. Privacy-free police state dystopia follows, but at least we get those cool computers with the motion interfaces.

That movie set interface design back a decade! I'll die before I let myself become a part of this farce!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm a baby idiot who spent the last four years mistaking tweeting and blogging for participation in democracy. What do I need to do to make Keith Ellison DNC chairperson.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The real Hillary Clinton is trapped in the Black Lodge, her soul the tormented plaything of malicious spirits. The Hillary Clinton we saw at November 9, the one who failed to properly concede and has seemingly dissapeared since, is her possessed form, here to dine on the pain and suffering that is coming to America.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Yesterday morning I got up at 3 AM, groggy and desperate to piss. I stumbled over to the toilet and unzipped my trousers. Next thing I knew, I was in some swank new york hotel, very palace-like. Hillary was there, all alone, and appeared to be talking to me, though her eyes looked through me. She glorified in the hellish dilemma of the working class and promised "I will kill again!" When I woke up I was bent over my bathtub covered in piss.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

pokemon go to the polls

that gotv strategy :bernpop:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm not politically or economically savvy. Is it really so hard for democrats to platform on helping minorities and address working class concerns?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

anime

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Imagine having donated to that campaign.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Gringostar posted:

oh poo poo, sanders wants a deportation force

deporting money from the 1% to the 99%

:bernget:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What the fuuuuuuck

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Bernie is calling for the immediate restoration of the bernget emoticon on the somethingawful.com forums

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

Okay I went to the local meeting and started getting involved. It wasn't quite as bad as USPol but, there was definite bernie-hillary antagonism going on. I found out that we basically don't have anyone for local positions coming up in 2017 but, they also weren't thrilled to hear from people who were interested in campaigning for local positions. I get it in my case its the first time they had met me and probably didn't know what to think. However we have a guy that ran for a state level position and did the campaigning themselves, without much support from the local committee, who got the same cold treatment. I'll give it some more time but, if this is what its going to be its time for a new party. There's no way to win if people can't work together in this environment.

You should form a coalition with the other guy.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Serf posted:

I feel like a lot of this narrative of "economic justice at the expense of social justice" is mostly fake bullshit meant to keep us at each other's throats. There' no reason why you can't push for economic change that will appeal to white voters while at the same time advocating for robust social reforms to benefit the marginalized. In fact, I'd say that social justice is predicated upon economic justice. What's the point of having rights if you have no support structures or money to exercise those rights?

You're right, it absolutely is an artificial division. We can, and should, fight for both. It aggravates me that there are so many democrats, some close to me, that continue to say otherwise.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

All I know is I don't think Goldman Sachs hanging a trans pride flag outside their office is gonna cut it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Al! posted:

basically i dont think the left is going to make any progress until they bury this pathological need to be Correct about everything. fishmech is basically the elemental representation of this concept

Well we could operate on being Incorrect about everything but that didn't work so hot in the 2016 election.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Serf posted:

Actually, given how pretty much everyone was incorrect during the election, we ought to have at least a few people working on backup plans just in case everything we think turns out to be a wrong again

The democrats should assign groups to address various issues and domains of American concern, whose jobs it is to accurately report with accurate and thorough analysis rather than just ride the YAS QUEEN train. Like some sort of Democratic party dialectic organization.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

We need every Democratic presidential candidate, from here to the end of time, to promise that they will close Gitmo.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

holy crap this thread is bipolar

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Full communism mao

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm happy for any effort to resist Trump's presidency, but yeah I'll let other people fight the recount battle.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

I'm probably risking sounding tinfoil hatish, but I would definitely not be surprised if there was/will be an active astroturfing campaign to try and discredit Sanders and economic populism using a false dichotomy of class vs _____ (race, gender, etc.). There's a lot of people invested in the DNC who don't want to see fair wages, real corporate tax reform etc.

I don't think astroturf will be necessary. My twitter feed is a daily serving of people seemingly-purposefully misconstruing Bernie Sanders' statements as a form of hatred for minorities.

He kind of plays into it, sadly by merely speaking the truth. When he said it wasn't good enough to be a woman, that you need to be someone who resists corruption and fights for the interests of the working class, I knew when I got home I'd see a bunch of people whinging about how he's moving the goalposts and holding minorities to a higher standard than other politicians and that's exactly what I saw.

These people would rather die holding on to their misplaced sense of righteous contempt than even admit that there might be more than one problem facing America today, and they'll kill the rest of us doing it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I swear, it's almost enough to drive me to accelerationism. I can't do anything about these self-destructive assholes and I'd almost rather lean in to the whole mess.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

Just do what you can, especially on the local level. This price of progress is our time.

You're right. I'm just tired and frustrated, and it's still so early. Thank you. :patriot:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I think I should probably delete my twitter account and I don't know live in a cave or something.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

One thing to take solace in is that faux-cial justice liberals don't really get out and vote, apparently.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Grondoth posted:

Well, yeah. People read or hear the things that people they think are smart are saying and repeat them, cause they think they're smart. Politics is hard enough to follow with people guiding you, it's really hard without people guiding you. I donno how else to challenge it aside from this election proving them all wrong.

I mean people were unironically quoting Y-San from DC prefecture's piece about how Hillary is actually a very good politician. I hope now they look at that and go "gently caress, maybe he doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about." It's the case with all crisis situations, they show that the reality you were operating under was false or maladaptive. If someone thinks their drinking isn't an issue, it's hard for them to argue that when they crashed their car into a tree and are in the hospital after driving home drunk. The Very Serious Coastal Liberals really can't argue their triangulation and demographics-based strategies are working anymore, cause for gently caress's sake Trump won. So hopefully, people won't listen to them anymore.

I dunno like, I feel that they were proven wrong, but it doesn't appear to have made a dent in their minds. They're literally blaming Bernie Sanders for losing the primary and driving a wedge between "Bernie Bros" and some imaginary portion of Clinton supporters that actually care about minority rights.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Is ANYONE seriously blaming the Green Party for this one? It worked in 2000 because it was one state and the margin was like 500 votes, but not this time.

Every day I see people lecturing into the void about how third-party voters are selfish privileged pricks who killed their friends and family by not voting for Hillary Clinton.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Grondoth posted:

Very Serious People who refuse to understand what happened cannot be saved. But people can stop goddamn listening to them, especially since there's an animating, positive, and courageous alternative narrative that offers solace through action. "The electorate sucks and it was all the fault of the primary" is catharsis, but it leaves you nowhere to turn.

Goddamn, you're right.

I guess today is my day to be the bipolar dem thread poster.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

If she had been a contender, I bet Jill Stein would have conceded way better than Clinton did.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

In fact, Stein in no way endorsed Donald Trump or opined that "Donald Trump is better" — rather, she said she wouldn't "sleep well at night" if either Trump or Clinton were elected, asserted that both candidates were "promoting lethal policies," and averred it was "fortunate [that] we have another choice other than these two candidates." The most positive thing Stein said about Donald Trump was that she found Hillary Clinton's foreign policy to be "scarier" than his:

Jill Stein was right

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I bet Jill Stein is the kind of stoner that gets distracted and holds onto the bong while going on long rants.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

bump_fn posted:

remember that politics is v local

Locally you may or may not need a witch hunt. If you don't , don't alienate people

If you do please do it with compassion because you might be able to flip some of them

good post imo

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

If Hillary Clinton had promised to be at one random voting site to meet voters, that probably would have gotten the dem vote out.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

delving into uspol is fun sometimes

liberal voters, ladies and gentlemen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

Seriously though I am perplexed by the "progressive" stance on power generation, even Bernie was pushing the anti-natural gas, anti-nuclear line. I don't think Bernie is dumb but that stance amounts to basically being pro-blackouts.

The only people I know in-person that share this stance pretty much are pro-blackouts. They never get directly to saying as much, but it's evident they regard an unspecified loss of human life to be acceptable collateral, if not an outright benefit.

• Locked thread