Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

Lonzo Ball does not have the look

His first college basketball moment was ending someone's life with a massive alley oop and he plays like a NBA Jam character, so i strongly disagreee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ty1990 posted:

I thought he was the best shooter out of the Fultz/Smith/Fox bunch?

That's not saying a ton but yeah. He's not a great shooter yet but I don't think it's a huge weakness

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's a really bad year for doofy looking Euros, sadly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

Still better than MKG's.

His goes in so yeah

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's a deep draft but there's a pretty healthy gap between Fultz and everyone else based on what I've seen so far, even though I would like to legally adopt Lonzo Ball

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Malik Monk is def going to be a #bucketgetter

Yeah I really like him, although there's a chance he measures at like 6'2" which is still kinda iffy for a SG unless he goes somewhere with a PG who can cover for him defensively

Declan MacManus posted:

He's kinda short and Is Not A Point Guard so that's probably going to be an issue defensively

I like Josh Jackson a lot even though he's stuck in Selfland and his jumper is peepee doodoo

There is an army of wings in this draft who are amazing prospects aside from the giant caveat that they can't shoot at all

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 30, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I dunno it's hosed up but if it works I guess it works. His percentages weren't that great in high school but his crazy rear end dad had he and his brothers taking pull-ups from like practically half court so who the hell knows. He's skilled enough that he still has a lot of value even if it drops off a bit.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

i thought his brothers have normal form iirc and lonzo ball is like the devils son and the worst of them?

e: LaVar named them like pokemon evolutions (Lonzo, LiAngelo, LaMelo), so I'm going to take this as canon.

They all have goofy looking shots but Lonzo's is definitely the weirdest.

The middle one is the worst player. Lonzo's the worst shooter but the best overall player of the 3, but the youngest might pass him if he keeps growing.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 4, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Taking Ball and asking him to play off ball with Simmons as the functional point guard seems like a tremendous waste

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

then it shouldn't be a mock and they should just rank the prospects (I agree)

Doing a mock this far out is kinda dumb since the order is still really in flux and presumably they call it that mostly so they'll pop up when people google "NBA mock draft"

Their actual mock once they start doing it for real tends to be pretty solid

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

At 6'3, Monk could be just fine defensively, especially if he's defending point guards. I don't think he has any physical limitations besides a potential wingspan issue

Being short for the position and having a bad wingspan tends to bode very badly for defense

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's one game. His form is hosed up though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

aBagorn posted:

I have to guess that the Celtics, should they luck into #1 via the Nets pick, would take Jackson in a heartbeat

He'd be really hard to play with jaylen brown. I also don't think you could sell me on taking anyone over Fultz right now, regardless of the team

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Probs want to make sure Giles has working knees first

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He says he won't but he could. He'll be 19 and a year removed from high school

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I genuinely do not understand how there is a debate over who the top pick is right now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

Free throw shooting form tends to be totally separate from a jump shot form, so besides jitters, if he's still working out kinks on one, it might not show up on the other.

They tend to correlate really well outside of very rare cases like Bruce Bowen. Low FT% but high 3 pt% is a pretty good sign that someone's 3 pt% might be a sample size fluke that won't carry over (good recent example is Justise Winslow). I think college FT% actually has a higher corellation with NBA 3 pt% just because the sample is larger

E: the best formula people have found for projecting NBA shooting is some combination of college FT% and 3 point attempts as far I know, but maybe there's been a recent breakthrough there I missed

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 20, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

I hope you appreciate how much more of a nerd you sound like these days.

I willing served as a unpaid internet janitor for an increasingly obscure website for like almost a decade I was never very cool

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The thing is he's really really good at everything else, so even if he has to rework his shot you can still get value out of him. He's super athletic and by far the best passer in the draft.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nerlens might have gone #1 if he hadn't gotten hurt. Although the Cavs were picking so who knows.

He probably would have but no one was especially thrilled with it. Everyone hated that draft.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

I remember seeing Bennett play hard for like 4 minutes in summer league once and he looked good . Then he started walking down the court.

I was at that game, he had like two dunks and a three and he Internet inexplicably decided that he was good, it was really weird.

I think Issac is fine, but I LOVE Smith

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ball was loving terrible in that first half. Lack of speed is really noticeable. Holiday came in and was able to immediately split Oregon's half press for easy looks.

e: now it's the second half and he's getting put in jail by lovely white backup PGs. really don't see it with this guy. Looked downright bad in the two games I've seen him play against teams with equal or greater athleticism.

e2: pretty great at the end here though!

Lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

oh my god The Ringer just ran a draft big board column where they couldn't recognize man from zone re: Fultz defense

Was it Tjarks? He legit might be the dumbest person covering the draft for a relatively high profile outlet.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Jazz getting to roll the dice on Giles at the end of the first would be amazing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pubic works project posted:

Who the gently caress is Justin Jackson?

Wing for UNC. He was a top 5-10 guy coming out of high school, but then wasn't very good his first two years. He's shooting like 10% better from 3 this year and having a really good season. I am skeptical

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 14, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Justin Jackson is on the McAdoo program. Tank your stock then revitalize it as an upperclassman

McAdoo was able to revitalize his stock all the way back up to "literally not even drafted" it was very impressive

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
pretty dumb yeah

Also re: the 3 point shooting

MourningView posted:

They tend to correlate really well outside of very rare cases like Bruce Bowen. Low FT% but high 3 pt% is a pretty good sign that someone's 3 pt% might be a sample size fluke that won't carry over (good recent example is Justise Winslow). I think college FT% actually has a higher corellation with NBA 3 pt% just because the sample is larger

E: the best formula people have found for projecting NBA shooting is some combination of college FT% and 3 point attempts as far I know, but maybe there's been a recent breakthrough there I missed

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I don't see the Williams similarity at all

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The list of guys who were terrible ft shooters but good 3 point shooters is not a very long one. You'll occasionally get a Bruce Bowen who trains himself to just hit corner 3s but there tends to be a strong correlation.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 2, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Winslow was also ungodly awful on 2 point jumpers in college, which was another thing pointing to his 3 pt% being a fluke. Not sure how Jackson is on those

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Is LiAngelo Ball even considered a real NBA prospect? I didn't realize he was in college next year.

No, he's the bad one

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean "bad" is speaking relatively. He's a pretty good shooter and a legit DI prospect, but he's really slow and not a great athlete. He'd probably be a mid major player if he didn't have two brothers that UCLA really wanted

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Their offense is literally "let the coach's kids take a million terrible shots"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

IANA Scout or a GM, but watching Swanigan against Iowa State last night really soured me on him. He looked slow, useless on D more than three feet away from the basket, his O was all rudimentary moves by the basket that won't fly in the pros save a couple decent long shots, and his rebounding didn't seem to be anything special. He looked to be a below the rim big who might have a game suited for Big Ten play but I don't think it translates to NBA play at all. He might need to lose another 25lbs or so and see if he can translate to a wing since I think he's what, 6'8" 250lbs now? But his lack of speed would hurt him even more there.

He could always come out and start making that D-League/Europe money, but he might as well stay four years at Purdue at this point. I don't know if I just saw a bad game or something, but I'd be shocked if he played a minute in the NBA.

e - I wasn't watching Purdue's other big that closely but I was more impressed with him from what little I saw, seemed to be far more explosive. Would need more than a sideways glance, of course.

There is a lot to pick apart with him but "unimpressive rebounder?" Come on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Duncan. And if he somehow stays, I guess John Collins.

Duncan would have probably gone 1st any year after his like sophomore season, he didn't really raise his stock

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As I said earlier, your feeling on the UNC Jackson is going to depend on whether or not you buy him suddenly shooting 10% better from 3 being sustainable. The biggest reason he fell in the first place was that he never developed as a shooter the way people hoped he would out of high school. He is now but generally it's right to be suspicious of sudden dramatic improvement late in your college career when you're older than most of the people you're playing against

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Man more and more mocks putting Fox ahead of Dennis Smith. That's nuts.

Fox is gonna be one of those Elfrid Payton type guys who is good enough sporadically to start for way to long and kill his team

Criminal Minded posted:

How do you guys like the Iguodala comp for Jackson? I've seen it a lot and I know comps are really reductive and lazy but it does seem on point. Of course, I am a terrible scout.

It's pretty good I think. Dunno if I like him quite as much defensively but they have really similar offensive games and playmaking abilities.

I don't really get the Tatum/Jackson debate I've seen pop up, I like Jackson a lot more. They have similar weaknesses but Jacksons an elite athlete and Tatum isn't

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 24, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's gonna have to bulk up a lot before he can guard 4s

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think I like Leaf more than I like Fox but he won't go as high

The other games have guys who will get a look and could go late first/second round but no real huge prospects

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ball has goofy mechanics but he can still reliably knock down shots if he's open which is still valuable. Rubio is a really bizarre comparison.

Fox has looked a lot better for the last month or so but he's still the worst shooter of any guard in the draft and that's hard to work with unless you think he's Westbrook or Wall level athletic. I've probably been under rating him a bit but he's going to come out of the tournament overrated, I think

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 25, 2017

• Locked thread