Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I was gonna wait a few months but whaterr

Markelle Fultz is dope but I don't think he can really shoot so that might be a problem for Philly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

Malik Monk is def going to be a #bucketgetter

He's kinda short and Is Not A Point Guard so that's probably going to be an issue defensively

I like Josh Jackson a lot even though he's stuck in Selfland and his jumper is peepee doodoo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jota posted:

I've seen some places having Frank Ntilikina rising and that's a name of either a star or a bust. No in between.

That's very much a "Never Played in the NBA" footnote type of name

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

They way you all are talking it sounds like monk would fit well with Ben Simmons.

Yeah actually, nominal PG who shooty shoots

Dejan Bimble posted:

Would it be too much Kansas stereotyping to say he's sort of a mirrored Andrew Wiggins, who's pretty good at a lot of stuff and looks like he has potential to be a great defender.

I mean sorta, both of those guys are in the Tracy McGrady mold which is kind of astonishing

MourningView posted:

There is an army of wings in this draft who are amazing prospects aside from the giant caveat that they can't shoot at all

I feel like this is the norm with athletic wings now, especially the ones who can pass

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

everything's coming up philly

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

At 6'3, Monk could be just fine defensively, especially if he's defending point guards. I don't think he has any physical limitations besides a potential wingspan issue

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Being short for the position and having a bad wingspan tends to bode very badly for defense

His wingspan been measured anywhere from 6'3 (yikes) to 6'6 so idk I will keep his defense in my thoughts and prayers

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

Lots of shooters in this lottery

...no? There's Fultz, Monk, Markkannen, and I guess Ball if you think that his trebuchet release is going to hold up

Paul Zuvella posted:

The second you are a consensus first round pick, the intelligent thing is to leave for the NBA. We're talking about pure opportunity cost, the risks greatly outweigh the positives of staying for 1-3 more years of college.

RIP Patric Young

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

How can he shoot 42% on 4 and half threes a game, but only shoot 67% from the line? That's either really weird or really troubling inasmuch as it makes me wonder if that long range shooting is repeatable.

Free throw shooting form tends to be totally separate from a jump shot form, so besides jitters, if he's still working out kinks on one, it might not show up on the other.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

if I don't get too hammered before the game, I'm gonna try and scout Josh Hart when Villanova plays my school. what should I be on the lookout for as an amateur scout?

generally speaking, off the ball stuff will tell you more about a player in terms of bball IQ whereas on the ball stuff is good for assessing skill and talent level. watching fast breaks and off ball cuts will tell you a lot about how athletic someone is

With Hart in particular, watch how he handles inside pressure and how he creates with the ball in his hand, and also watch his shooting from long distance; these are the areas of concern for NBA scouts

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Fox is at least as fast as Wall, if not faster. He's going to get bullied around the rim and can't even kind of maybe sorta shoot a little bit but he's got a lot of promising physical tools and has good ballhandling and passing skills

I like him in the late lottery

Adebayo reminds me of Patric Young

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

Not so sure I agree with this. A year+ from when a guy starts getting promises from scouts to when he'd get his first NBA paycheck is a long time. By this point those guys are also starting to get pressure from family and friends about providing. It's hard to pass up cash or even just favorable treatment when you have your uncle who raised you talking about how tough it is to make ends meet.

I'd also imagine most of these guys are being (correctly) coached not to assume a top pick or even a pick in the NBA draft. There are plenty of guys who were top recruits who flamed out in college and dropped position/out of the first round.

At one point Isaiah Austin was considered a potential #1 draft pick, and Andrew Harrison was considered the top PG prospect for 2014 and a probable top 3 pick. There really isn't any way to tell

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

Every crazy wingspan guy is just one Marfan's diagnosis away from being out of the league.

Rudy Gobert is another guy who dropped after being projected real high

But yeah he and Walter Tavares probably have their hearts working overtime just to get blood into their fingers

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Noel and Barnes for sure would have gone #1 out of high school.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Then again James McAdoo would also likely have gone top 3 and that would have been awful for whoever picked him

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Anthony Bennett was really really athletic in college and looked like he could hit threes and rebound. He was a talented college player and while it was a reach, it wasn't LaRue Martin

e: he put up 16/8 in less than 30 minutes a game and hit 38% of his threes

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Also Smith owns you can't tell me nothin

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I mean his shooting form is bad but he hits a decent clip so no shooting coach is going to want to rebuild it from scratch

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

The good G-League guards are a relatively safe bet for a 12th man. The bigs generally suck.

With Hassan Whiteside being the notable exception

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

If he was a good shooter he probably wouldn't have become god-like at everything else.

He was a good shooter for a few years and mysteriously dropped off

re: jjacks, he's good enough at everything else that you hope he learns how to shoot given actual coaching NBA facilities etc. and if he's not then he still becomes serviceable player ala MKG.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Everyone expects physically dominant players to be bad shooters because they haven't had to shoot. Like, why wouldn't you aggressively throw the ball up in the lane if you could? It'd be more concerning if they were physically dominant and weren't aggressively going inside

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Khagan posted:

Forgot to mention if Jackson's and Fox's %s are bad for their position relative to your average NBA player with a couple years experience. Yeah I know Centers are generally poor at the stripe.

Generally the benchmarks are 30% on 3s and 60% on FTs. Anything lower is A Problem, regardless of position.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

To me the question isn't if Jackson will learn to hit threes, but if he is still going to be able to get to the basket in the NBA.

It's not like there's an abundance of dudes that can match him in frame and footspeed. He's going to get bullied in the paint until he puts on more weight but he's a skilled passer and has a floater and some spin moves at his disposal. If he's aggressive enough he shouldn't have more than the normal adjustment period in the NBA.

DeimosRising posted:

And what, really, is the upper limit of improvement in the pros? I can think of a quite a few cases of guys who went from low 30s 3pt% to being sharpshooters, but only a small handful who dramatically improved at the line (Karl Malone notoriously went from a Shaq esque trash shooter in college and his rookie year to slightly below average, and Chris Webber and Tyson Chandler made big leaps from bad to above average, but not until they'd been in the league for nearly a decade). Really in either case you're talking probably a 10% upper limit realistically, which is a much bigger relative improvement from 3.

Tim Duncan bounced between 59 and 80% for his career but settled around 70% towards the end.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

too handsome

born in 1999 which makes me feel old

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spacebump posted:

When was the last time a potential top 10 pick big man stayed in college and raised his draft stock?

uh Joe Smith I guess?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

Markkanen is maybe the most decisive player in the draft, but I stand by my opinion that he's gonna be one of the three best players in the draft.

But even with that decisiveness he's not going to fall to 11.

iLoveMarkkanen

he will be a good nba mans

Dejan Bimble posted:

Do you think he can play adequate defense at centre againste NBA players

I'm not Rick and I never will be barring some sort of Face/Off scenario but I wouldn't really care if he could defend post players since there are so few of those and he's so versatile offensively that his defense almost doesn't matter, just like that one German blonde guy in his prime

He's not an amazing rebounder but he's pretty agile for his size so I can't imagine switching on pick and rolls will be a huge deal for him, I figure he'll struggle against the Andre Drummonds and DeAndre Jordans of the world but most NBA centers do

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I mean I wouldn't take him higher than late first at this point so if he bounces back next year he could take advantage of a weak draft

He'd probably be better off developing his shooting in the D-League and on a winning team's bench to give him a shot of being J.J. Reddick but hey maybe he won't be the next Jimmer if a team drafts him high

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

He could have been their James McAdoo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Elijah Stewart is going to cure AIDS just to spite Givony

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

So, I can't find this direct quote, but I've seen more than one person reference it, and, if you google search the quote, it hits Ford's mock draft so maybe this was said. Also, maybe this was fake news.

But apparently of the top 4 teams only one that has a "55% of selecting first" has Fultz #1 on their board.

That's so loving stupid unless you really, really like Josh Jackson

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You could have a 55% chance if you held multiple lottery picks and you didn't know how probability works

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Why not just say Philly has him at #1 instead of being mock coy and writing a blind item riddle

Or just say most teams don't have Fultz #1

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

"Which teams are interested in trading up to acquire De'Aaron Fox?"
"The team that resides in the city in which two trains intersect at 11 PM if one train is leaviny Mexico City at 5PM and the other is leaving Denver at 3PM and one train is going 70 MPH and the other train has the rights to swap picks with the Nets."

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Can any of you tell me much about Isaiah Haretnstein? Givony has him going to the Raps.

Going by the videos on his DX page, his jumper is pretty busted. Not great form and he scrunches up at the knees and elbows before he releases it which really diminishes his effective height. Defensively he looks kind of like a mess (overcommits and bites really badly on drive fakes). The good news is that he's 7'1 with long arms which you can't teach and he's pretty coordinated for his size. DX says he can't really finish in traffic but I don't know if I buy that based on what (little) I've seen. Probably an energy guy off the bench

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I wouldn't hate the Celtics grabbing Ball just because he has a better chance of developing successfully off the ball next to Isaiah Thomas

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Celtics make a reach for Collins

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

Collins is a player I wouldn't mind in the abstract but A) I don't know if you can justify spending a top 10 pick on a (non-God tier) big that doesn't shoot threes these days and B) I couldn't root for a team that had him, Cody Zeller, Frank Kaminsky and Miles Plumlee under contract

Serviceable bigs are way harder to find than serviceable guards just because of the distribution of people born in the world who can play PF/C

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

A 5'10" dude with 6'8" wingspan, too. lol

Roddy's Revenge

Adorbs

euphronius posted:

Fox is it terrible if you believe in his jumpshot

I mean the track record of point guards fixing their jumper isn't horrid, especially in the modern NBA

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

World's longest double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Dejan, tell me about Jonah Bolden, can he play SF, and why a couple of posters elsewhere said he could sneak into the lottery

Like ex-UCLA Jonah Bolden?

• Locked thread