Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

A white guy with deceptive speed, toughness, a high football iq who can create matchup problems all over the field.

yes this is what "scrappy" auto replaces with on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the bears drafting peppers after firing fangio, and having some poo poo DC just put him at strong safety and call it a day seems like exactly what they'll do

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

FizFashizzle posted:

A white guy with deceptive speed, toughness, a high football iq who can create matchup problems all over the field.

But who did he vote for?

haha as if there's any question

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

But who did he vote for?

He's a white millennial from Stanford so he probably just posted some pro hillary hash tags on twitter and didn't get out of bed.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Browns taking two defensive players and no QB? Too good to be true.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lol somehow they're going to trade one of their firsts to move up to first overall to draft trubisky.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Alright, it's been a little while since I posted a breakdown. Here's a look at the top 3 in this RB class. I'm still watching tape on a few others that I'll comment on later, notably Nick Chubb and Elijah Hood.

Leonard Fournette - LSU
What's there to say about a back whose been hyped as the next Peterson since he was 16? You can watch his film and see every possible thing the NFL could ask of him whether that's running power blocking with a hard first step or waiting in zone then cutting immediately into a hole. It's always DEs that get their first steps talked about since it often describes how fast you get over the line, but RBs really need it even moreso considering it dictates whether or not they're getting to a block in progress or after a lineman can disengage. His top-end speed for a back playing around 225-230 is impressive. Realistically, you don't need more top-end speed out of him, since the only guys catching him at that point are giving up 30 pounds to him. and might be out of position from the start depending on how his receivers block. I also love his power which really just seems to be a product of him always being the low man at contact and will probably keep him from any crazy upper-body injuries at the next level. When he gets up to speed, you do not want to be the one man in his way because he can go both through you and around you. He's shown pretty solid hands out of the backfield, though he rounds routes off a lot since LBs just don't cover him well. That'll have to get some work at the next level, but the thought of him running a wheel route at speed with precision is jaw dropping. The one thing I really don't like right now is his blocking ability. LSU didn't ask him to do it a lot, but he got by in those situations on pure physicality rather than any good technique. As a result, he's going to limit your play-action ability and be an initial tell as to whether you're willing to run in certain situations. His durability will be a concern too since he's had nagging leg injuries that are a bit concerning for a young RB. He didn't pick up quite the burn expected this year as a result, but his physicals will be extremely important. If I were a team in the top 7-8 with an established or recently drafted QB, I pick him every time. He'll draw the Peterson comparisons in terms of his potential as a prospect, but I think his actual playing style and likely projection is a bit closer to Steven Jackson who was a similar back in terms of physical ability but ran at a much lower pad level and was much more useful as a receiving threat at the expense of below average blocking.

Dalvin Cook - FSU
Ostensibly the lightning to Fournette's thunder, Cook is extremely versatile, almost to a fault. You want him running between the tackles, countering to the edge, picking a hole in zone, running a wheel route, and catching a screen all in sequence? He can do all of it and may even break any one of those. He'll fight for extra yards and doesn't get stopped for a loss frequently because he gets to the line quickly and moves well through contact to fluidly extend the ball. Most of his running is based on elusiveness and minimizing points of contact to keep momentum, meaning he isn't likely to bowl over someone on third and short so much as beat them to the edge. Ideally though, you're putting him in a scheme where he can threaten the edge on any play because his best attribute is his ability to break away from anyone in space. Because of that, and the fact that he's playing at probably 200 right now, I'm not sure you can or should use him consistently as an every down back outside of a zone scheme that lets him pick his spots or a counter-heavy system that misdirects traffic. He could be a monstrous 3rd down back with his receiving ability though. Durability is a concern that further makes me question his inside running ability, since he's had the same types of nagging injuries Fournette has, but lasting for frankly almost all of the last two seasons. His blocking is hindered by his size, as he really seeks mainly to slow down rather than outright stop rushers, which could be partially mitigated by higher playing weight. I think he can get it down because his fundamentals are good but just lack the same acceleration/force his running shows. Projecting him as a player is tough, because he really reminds me of LeSean McCoy on his strengths, but McCoy looked a bit more comfortable running between the hashes. I think a lot that has to do with McCoy not having quite the nagging injuries Cook did in college though, so I think the comparison is fair.

Christian McCaffrey - Stanford
So, McCaffrey bears a lot of similarities to Cook in terms of being extremely nimble and slippery and might even have a better first step when it comes to decisively moving into the play. He has a good, if not great top-end speed and works his best beating people to the edge or picking his spots in zone blocking. However, McCaffrey doesn't have quite the same level of body control Cook does through contact and ability to move forward while falling, meaning he is more likely to give you 3 yards than 4 in a lot of situations where that's not going to work. He makes up for this by having the best receiving skills in the class in terms of catching ability and the ability to sharply turn routes and keep LBs 2-3 yards behind him in coverage when given the chance to match up. As a result, some team that operates a lot of spread concepts or motion will love what he can do in terms of manipulating defenders to figure plays out pre-snap. That said, he looks even smaller than Cook and probably should not be running up the middle for you on a consistent basis if you want to keep him healthy. His blocking technique is fantastic but looks like he's a slot receiver trying to stop LBs/DEs most of the time. He's been sterling in terms of his injury history but has a metric ton of touches and may take until year 2 to be fully recovered and ready considering he's coming off two grueling Stanford seasons directly into the NFL. The McCoy comparison would be lazy for him, and I think Giovani Bernard is more accurate. McCaffrey can theoretically do everything well or at least passably if you're talking in between the tackles, but you shouldn't be making him do it with any consistency.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If tabor is available at the titans second first they better pull the trigger on him

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

FizFashizzle posted:

Lol somehow they're going to trade one of their firsts to move up to first overall to draft trubisky.

Oh they definitely need to draft a QB and by the time of the draft at least one of them will be hyped as a high pick. But to ignore the position completely again would be So Browns.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

But who did he vote for?

You mean the guy that said people overlook him as a football player because he's white?

Open Sorceror
Jul 1, 2006

three leaves are running wild!
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

Oh they definitely need to draft a QB and by the time of the draft at least one of them will be hyped as a high pick. But to ignore the position completely again would be So Browns.

Picking another garbage qb in the 1st would be So Browns. Quinn, Weeden, JFF. I hate all of the "big name" prospects this year and I would be happy if they stuck to positions of need: edge rusher, OT, OLB. No qb can succeed with the Browns' OL.

The only QB i think stands a chance of being more than a career backup is Kizer, and he still looked really raw last year.

I hope they go defense and O line the first 3 rounds, maybe pick up another WR, and overpay for some missing pieces in FA.

Unfortunately I think we won't find an answer at QB this year, but Kessler looked decent. Get another veteran for when the first two QBs get injured.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Whatever decision the Browns make is automatically the wrong one

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Open Sorceror posted:

Picking another garbage qb in the 1st would be So Browns. Quinn, Weeden, JFF. I hate all of the "big name" prospects this year and I would be happy if they stuck to positions of need: edge rusher, OT, OLB. No qb can succeed with the Browns' OL.

The only QB i think stands a chance of being more than a career backup is Kizer, and he still looked really raw last year.

I hope they go defense and O line the first 3 rounds, maybe pick up another WR, and overpay for some missing pieces in FA.

Unfortunately I think we won't find an answer at QB this year, but Kessler looked decent. Get another veteran for when the first two QBs get injured.

THe problem is the Browns need every position, and especially quarterback. If we go 0-16, do you really think the front office will feel comfortable next year not drafting a QB who at the very least will buy them another year or two?

I expect them to fill holes with overpriced marginal or old free agents and then waste all their draft picks as usual.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Metapod posted:

If tabor is available at the titans second first they better pull the trigger on him

What do you think our most pressing needs are? For me its CB, ILB, WR.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Someone tell me where Donnell Pumphrey is going to go

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

korrandark posted:

19.) Houston Texans

Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn*

Not many pass-rushers in this class can match Lawson's combination of production, upside and intangibles. He's a film junkie who posted an astounding 24 QB hurries and nine sacks this season. Plus, he's an elite run defender. Lawson's medical reports will be critical; he endured back-to-back injury-plagued seasons in 2014 and 2015.

Why the gently caress does he have us taking a lb, The position we literally need the least. I don't think these big draft guys watch any football at either the college or NFL level.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

a neat cape posted:

Someone tell me where Donnell Pumphrey is going to go

A later round and then in two years everyone will be saying his talent came from nowhere and how all 32 teams passed him up and what a steal he was for the London Jaguars

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

What do you think our most pressing needs are? For me its CB, ILB, WR.

CB CB CB ILB deep threat wr

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

yep

quote:

The New York Daily News reports the Jets are "all over" North Carolina QB Mitch Trubisky, who is expected to declare for the 2017 NFL draft.

A fourth-year junior who started only one year for the Tar Heels, Trubisky threw for 28 touchdowns and only four interceptions in the 2016 regular season, leading UNC to a December 30 Sun Bowl date with Stanford. "The Jets are all over this kid," said a rival scout. "All over him. They'll probably deny it if you ask, but they love that kid. That's their guy. They're not going to get him though, because I think that kid is going to get over-drafted." The Jets are expected to have a top-six pick, but not in the top three, where Trubisky may ultimately go if he shines in the Sun Bowl and when NFL coaches begin grinding college tape.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Well, at least this one looks like a quarterback.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The report's source is "a rival scout" aka bullshit. Not saying it can't happen, just that the article is even more worthless than most draft speculation news.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Giving up on Hackenberg so soon? C'mon Jets

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

korrandark posted:

16.) Miami Dolphins

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Lucky for teams like the Dolphins who have a need at the position, this is a loaded class with tight ends at the top. Howard, Michigan's Jake Butt and Virginia Tech's Bucky Hodges all look like top-40 picks. Howard's size-speed combination gives him a lot of upside, but his production has been streaky in Alabama's run-heavy offense.

I think that O.J. Howard is gonna be a guy that the Dolphins are gonna like a lot. He comes really remarkably well-prepared at pretty much all the nuances of the position that the coaching staff is going to want and it's a pretty important part of the offense in general, down to like types of blocks, common routes, etc.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

sirtommygunn posted:

The report's source is "a rival scout" aka bullshit. Not saying it can't happen, just that the article is even more worthless than most draft speculation news.

Scouts share a lot of poo poo together FYI

Open Sorceror
Jul 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

THe problem is the Browns need every position, and especially quarterback. If we go 0-16, do you really think the front office will feel comfortable next year not drafting a QB who at the very least will buy them another year or two?

I expect them to fill holes with overpriced marginal or old free agents and then waste all their draft picks as usual.

Qb is a huge need, but like you said they have holes everywhere. If they pick qb with the #1 and don't address the O line, he'll get Colt Mccoy'd just like all our qbs this year.

Maybe the FO feels like they have no choice but to pick a QB. If so, I'd want them to go with Garrett with their 1st, Kizer with the eagles 1st, then pick a guard and center in the 2-3 rounds. I think the priority has to be solidifying the oline, and it's not a bad draft for interior oline.

If they want another qb I'd rather them use a midround pick on the guy from Montana or another underlooked prospect and use the early picks for bpa and oline.

Other Browns fans have any ideas about what offseason plans the team should have?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Reminder that the Lions had two first-round picks after going 0-16 and the fans wanted Aaron Curry at number one. If you think a franchise quarterback is available you take him.

Though Stafford got "lucky" in sitting his first two seasons with injuries that wouldn't linger.

Open Sorceror
Jul 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shangri-Law School posted:

Reminder that the Lions had two first-round picks after going 0-16 and the fans wanted Aaron Curry at number one. If you think a franchise quarterback is available you take him.

Though Stafford got "lucky" in sitting his first two seasons with injuries that wouldn't linger.

I understand this mentality, but for instance if the Browns had drafted Dak last year I doubt he would have looked any better than Kessler and fans would still be clamoring for another qb this draft. On a team this bad it's impossible to evaluate qb play (but it's obvious RG3 sucks).

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
My dream for the Browns is that they sign Tyrod Taylor and then draft an o-lineman along with Fournette or Dalvin Cook and then proceed to have Hue develop the dopest run based offense in the league.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

sirtommygunn posted:

Pre-draft speculation last year was that the Jets were all over Hack and that ended up happening. In this case I think Trubisky goes top 3 and the Jets wont have a high enough pick.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Pre-draft speculation last year was that the Jets were all over Hack and that ended up happening. In this case I think Trubisky goes top 3 and the Jets wont have a high enough pick.

If they think he's actually a franchise QB they should trade up for him.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Well yes but it will be cost prohibitive when the top 3 spots will likely be held by QB needy teams. I'd rather give up two 1sts and a large contract for Kirk Cousins than another lottery ball.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Well yes but it will be cost prohibitive when the top 3 spots will likely be held by QB needy teams. I'd rather give up two 1sts and a large contract for Kirk Cousins than another lottery ball.

I would do that too but I don't think it's going to be an option.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Cutler.

Do it New York

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Cutler.

Do it New York

I'd rather have Glennon.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

My dream for the Browns is that they sign Tyrod Taylor and then draft an o-lineman along with Fournette or Dalvin Cook and then proceed to have Hue develop the dopest run based offense in the league.

nah sorry you're going to be seeing Fournette in carolina blue in your nightmares for the next four years.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Welp, the Mixon video is out and now we get to see what happens to a guy with a Ray Rice tape but is still valuable as a football player.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

nah sorry you're going to be seeing Fournette in carolina blue in your nightmares for the next four years.

You'll just waste him on your garbage unimaginative offense.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kalli posted:

Welp, the Mixon video is out and now we get to see what happens to a guy with a Ray Rice tape but is still valuable as a football player.

Is there a new one or something?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oh poo poo

he's lucky she didn't die hitting that table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Metapod posted:

Is there a new one or something?

It was released within the last hour. It's the one from when he punched a lady at a restaurant in 2014.

Go one minute in: http://www.tulsaworldtv.com/Graphic...tesection=tulsa

• Locked thread