Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

corn on the cop posted:

Mitch Trubisky is not the name of a good quarterback. It's of a 20-year veteran at Long Snapper.

It is a God-tier Browns QB name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mitch Trubisky is a terrible football name. He belongs in a Wes Anderson movie, not on the field.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Benne posted:

Mitch Trubisky is a terrible football name. He belongs in a Wes Anderson movie, not on the field.

Mitch Trubisky is the name of any generic 4th-stringer.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
OK, let's go over the QBs and find out who has the best football names. I'll just go through the top 10 as ranked here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/QB

Mitch Trubisky -- As mentioned before, garbage-tier name. Worse than Blake Bortles. F

DeShone Kizer -- I like the last name. Rolls off the tongue with force. Lots of potential for "Kaiser" puns if you're a history nerd. A-

Deshaun Watson -- Kinda generic, but perfectly serviceable. It at least sells the idea of an exciting, dynamic athlete. B+

Brad Kayaa -- I should like this more, but the surname is confusing at first glance. Is it pronounced KAY-a? Kay-AA? Either way, the first name ruins it for me. "Brad" is an accountant name, not a QB name. C

Mason Rudolph -- Total goober name, but not as offensive as Mitch Trubisky. D

Chad Kelly -- I have never met a likable person named "Chad." Not the kind of name you want as the face of your franchise. Poor effort IMO. D-

Davis Webb -- This isn't a QB name, it's a name for a fifth-string wide receiver who only plays special teams. D

Nathan Peterman -- Now we're talking. I'm iffy about the first name, but "Peterman" is the kind of weird-but-memorable name you want from your QB. B

C.J. Beathard -- An abbreviated name! We don't see that from QBs often. Then again, the last two abbreviated names (EJ Manuel, AJ McCarron) haven't fared well. Bodes poorly for his NFL career. C

Joshua Dobbs -- I got nothing. This may as well be a Madden-generated name. C-

In short, this QB class is as lacking in good names as it is in talent.

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

I think Kayaa's mediocre name is made up for by the fact that his mother is Felicia from Friday, which is going to be great to hear whenever he throws an interception.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Benne posted:

OK, let's go over the QBs and find out who has the best football names. I'll just go through the top 10 as ranked here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/QB

Mitch Trubisky -- As mentioned before, garbage-tier name. Worse than Blake Bortles. F

DeShone Kizer -- I like the last name. Rolls off the tongue with force. Lots of potential for "Kaiser" puns if you're a history nerd. A-

Deshaun Watson -- Kinda generic, but perfectly serviceable. It at least sells the idea of an exciting, dynamic athlete. B+

Brad Kayaa -- I should like this more, but the surname is confusing at first glance. Is it pronounced KAY-a? Kay-AA? Either way, the first name ruins it for me. "Brad" is an accountant name, not a QB name. C

Mason Rudolph -- Total goober name, but not as offensive as Mitch Trubisky. D

Chad Kelly -- I have never met a likable person named "Chad." Not the kind of name you want as the face of your franchise. Poor effort IMO. D-

Davis Webb -- This isn't a QB name, it's a name for a fifth-string wide receiver who only plays special teams. D

Nathan Peterman -- Now we're talking. I'm iffy about the first name, but "Peterman" is the kind of weird-but-memorable name you want from your QB. B

C.J. Beathard -- An abbreviated name! We don't see that from QBs often. Then again, the last two abbreviated names (EJ Manuel, AJ McCarron) haven't fared well. Bodes poorly for his NFL career. C

Joshua Dobbs -- I got nothing. This may as well be a Madden-generated name. C-

In short, this QB class is as lacking in good names as it is in talent.

Ugh this is why I have to do this every year. You got this all backwards.

The strongest name this year belongs to Bart Houston of Wisconsin. The runner ups are Mason Rudolph, Chad Kelly, Brady Gustafson, and an honorable mention to Brad Kaaya. It's tough having a vowel last name as a QB if you're not Italian but Mariota is bucking the recent trends. Kizer is a Brown's tier name and Watson is completely underwhelming with Deshaun as the pairing.

Edit: I forgot Gunner Kiel but so did most of the nation

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Teva posted:

I think Kayaa's mediocre name is made up for by the fact that his mother is Felicia from Friday, which is going to be great to hear whenever he throws an interception.

Pick 6's shouldn't count unless you yell Bye Felicia as you pass him for the TD.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Doltos posted:

The strongest name this year belongs to Bart Houston of Wisconsin. The runner ups are Mason Rudolph, Chad Kelly, Brady Gustafson, and an honorable mention to Brad Kaaya. It's tough having a vowel last name as a QB if you're not Italian but Mariota is bucking the recent trends. Kizer is a Brown's tier name and Watson is completely underwhelming with Deshaun as the pairing.

Any particular reason why you like Mason Rudolph? That name just does nothing for me at first glance. I'll give you Chad Kelly since that's simple and easy to remember, but the "Chad" name gives me douche chills. We'll have to agree to disagree on Kizer.

At least we can agree that Gunner Kiel is a loving pro-tier QB name.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Rudolph is staying for another year at okst by the way

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Doltos posted:

has Gunner Kiel been playing for 10 seasons?

Also why are people hyping a Tech QB?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Guys, it's Swag Kelly

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PrinceRandom posted:

Eh, Mahomes is quite a bit different from the old Mike Leach spaghetti armed quarterbacks that built that reputation. If we're on name chat Pat Mahomes sounds like some sort joke a kid would make up, but my biggest non-football related problem with him is he looks like he should be fat but he's just kind of tubby.

There's just something about his face that makes me think he should be a young Lorenzen, but he's only 230 instead of 275.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

PrinceRandom posted:

Mahomes' arm is nuts. He throws the most ridiculous off balanced balls that bullet all over the field. He also creates Tony Romoesque plays on the regular

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Too bad she sued for damages before he went pro. Is there a way for her to get more now? She deserves it.

Lawsuit is still pending. They wouldn't have been shy about putting in all the damages they could justify just because he wasn't pro yet when they filed though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

evilweasel posted:

Lawsuit is still pending. They wouldn't have been shy about putting in all the damages they could justify just because he wasn't pro yet when they filed though.

Awesome. I don't know poo poo about this, but I'm glad she's got a way to hit him in his bank account down the line.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doltos posted:

Bart Houston may have the best name, but he's the worst player by far

good lord he sucks

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bart Houston is tragically, hilariously terrible. He's worse than Joel Stave was somehow.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Eh, Mahomes is quite a bit different from the old Mike Leach spaghetti armed quarterbacks that built that reputation. If we're on name chat Pat Mahomes sounds like some sort joke a kid would make up, but my biggest non-football related problem with him is he looks like he should be fat but he's just kind of tubby.

There's just something about his face that makes me think he should be a young Lorenzen, but he's only 230 instead of 275.

It's the closest name to Pogue Mahone that the league has ever seen

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ehud posted:

Watson and/or Trubisky.

I don't trust the guy who drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd round to know if either of those guys are any good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Alaois posted:

Bart Houston is tragically, hilariously terrible. He's worse than Joel Stave was somehow.

It's the curse of the perfect name. Colt McCoy, Colt Brennan, Major Applewhite. You have to be really loving good to overcome your name, like Joe Montana levels of good.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Barkevious Mingo was such an incredible name that he could never have hoped to live up to the potential.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bigass Moth posted:

Barkevious Mingo was such an incredible name that he could never have hoped to live up to the potential.

Well in Mingo's case he was unfortunately a linebacker where the rules are completely backwards. If you have an amazing name the expectations to be great are set at birth. Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Harry Carson, NaVorro Bowman, Brian Urlacher, Peter Boulware, DeMarcus Ware. I mean the list can just keep going on and on. If anything Mingo should have been better than he was.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mister Cobble imo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Bacarri Rambo :rip:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Was Frostee Rucker any good?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

I don't trust the guy who drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd round to know if either of those guys are any good.

I still can't believe that's a thing that happened.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Were there rumors that some other team was going to snatch him before later rounds??

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NFL's draft projection on the guy was round 2 or 3, but the way they build that data is by canvassing some GM's and team scouts, so maybe that's just based off of the Jets?

quote:

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Prototypical size for pocket quarterback. Durable and tough. Willing to hang in and take the hit if he thinks a completion is pending. Took a pounding and never missed a start. Experienced in pro-style attack and played well in Bill O'Brien's scheme as a freshman. Able and willing to work through progressions when protected. Balls comes out of his hand with pro velocity. Can drive hips through his release for extra mustard. Can make all the throws, and has the arm talent to take shots to areas of the field that most quarterbacks can't. Underrated in touch throw department. Can float the ball over top of defenders and deliver it on a pillow. Decent athlete able to climb pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. Recognizes and points out late blitz movement pre-snap. Recognizes danger and able to avoid most baiting attempts. Dropped interception total from 15 in 2014 to just six in 2015. Twice voted team captain and has displayed leadership qualities from time he stepped on campus.
WEAKNESSES Debilitating accuracy issues with atrocious 51.5 percent adjusted completion total (throws beyond line of scrimmage). Turns receivers into goalies. Even simple throws can be coin-flippers in accuracy department. Release point can vary greatly and he is still looking for repeatable footwork, mechanics and release. Will throw a spiral followed by wobbler. Ball patting and wind-up slows release and can obstruct timing. Extra air under deep balls combined with marginal timing allows safeties time to race into the play. Busted internal clock. Allows pressure to overtake him rather than getting catchable throw out a shade early. Sacked 82 times over last two years. Iffy accuracy and ball placement falls off map when defenses send pressure. Completed just 44.2 percent against five rushers and 41.9 percent against six. Pocket feel a work in progress. Will climb pocket into trouble unnecessarily.
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2 or 3
SOURCES TELL US "The tape is just terrible over the last two years, but he has traits and leadership. His freshman tape is good, but how do you discount everything you've seen for two years? That freshman tape is going to lead a team to overdraft him." -- NFC executive
NFL COMPARISON Ryan Mallett

Well, Ryan Mallett was a 3rd round draft pick!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Hack showed a lot of leadership when he blamed Franklin for all his gently caress ups at Penn State

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

SOURCES TELL US "The tape is just terrible over the last two years, but he has traits and leadership

i love that so much

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I don't get how the Jets are already saying he's not in a position to compete for the job next season.

Like, is he throwing with the wrong arm or something? What the hell.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
define "traits"

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

corn on the cop posted:

define "traits"

"qualities"

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Condensed version of that scouting report:

Strengths:
- Can't teach size
- Has an arm
- Processes the play when he has time (like every other quarterback ever?)

Weaknesses:
- Woefully inaccurate
- Gets receivers killed
- Shoddy mechanics
- Poor timing on passes
- Can't handle pressure
- The pocket presence of Blaine Gabbert

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

corn on the cop posted:

Condensed version of that scouting report:

Strengths:
- Can't teach size
- Has an arm
- Processes the play when he has time (like every other quarterback ever?)

Weaknesses:
- Woefully inaccurate
- Gets receivers killed
- Shoddy mechanics
- Poor timing on passes
- Can't handle pressure

also "the jets or the browns are totally going to take this guy way too early"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

i love that so much

tall_white_quarterbacks.txt

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

corn on the cop posted:

To be fair I'm not sure you can really say that about Hack's college tape, Blaine had protection and things like a pocket now and then.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

That scouting report is just incredible, how the gently caress did he got drafted in the second?

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 22, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
He's tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Colts will be taking another Alabama lineman in the first again.

• Locked thread