Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I hope theres a good tackle available so the panthers can take a fat slow wr or rb. Maybe a linebacker this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

There are like 2 decent tackles this year.

The panthers have like 56 mill in cap space and currently spend under 20million on the offensive line as a unit. There's an undoubted need for them to splash some cash on the position but their guards will both need extensions soon and KK Short is up for money.

Here's a current list of the LT free agents
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/left-tackle/

Whitworth is the best available and he's 35. Will Beaty and Reiff are the only other name guys and Reiff hasn't been healthy and got moved to RT.

They're gonna have to draft someone.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Rams picks is the titans'

I forgot they traded their first so they could get their QB of the futu...hahahahahahaha

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I just want an offensive tackle. Dont give a poo poo where they go after that but they gotta protect cam.

I wouldnt mind seeing a late round h-back type either to give some two tight end set versatility if they can catch worth a poo poo.

What am I thinking... shula is a retard.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Carolina's tackles were bad last year. Gettleman overlooked it during the draft. I think they really need to pick up a linebacker soon as well Davis is old and Luke's brain may not hold out much longer.

Luke will be fine. Shaq will end up taking davis' spot when hes done.

They also have a monster trio of defensive tackles. You could plug any rear end in a top hat in at linebacker and theyd be ok.

They need tackle, safety, defensive end and running back help. In that order.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

Even remmers was mostly serviceable for a lot of the year. Of course he had a few atrocious games but overall he was better than you'd expect him to be.

I think i supress those performances because the obvious issue is shula who we're stuck with forever.

Well until the team implodes again and the big cat fires everyone and we have to rebuild again.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

Cool, thanks. I was just trying to come up with the last tweener I remember being talked up as a 1st round talent who I thought might compare.

The only player I can think of who was drafted high and touted as a top defensive prospect despite being a Tweener was Thomas Davis. He was talked about coming out as "the defensive Braylon Edwards" everyone was jizzing in their pants over Braylon Edwards at that point. There have been a few since who were small linebacker sized safeties who got to free wheel and blitz a lot and gently caress up small lovely schools, but not many of them went on to do much of anything of note.

When he got drafted by Carolina they put him at Strong safety and he got lit the gently caress up in coverage. It wasn't until a year or two later where he gained enough size and learned how to play linebacker that he really put it all together. Drafting another small linebacker who played safety (badly) in College would be the stupidest thing the Panthers could do at this point. The front seven outside of defensive end is fine and the back seven outside of safety is fine. They're holes the team can fill through drafting players at those positions, not trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole. We already have hitters who can't stop a deep shot or run with a WR.

The team needs a deep playing coverage safety, someone who can rush the passer and a tackle. A running back might be nice if the team had some tackles. They've got to realise that Oher is basically done at this point and Remmers is at best a stop gap who needs protection rolled to his side.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

I don't want you guys getting him either. :colbert:

Be careful though, I remember you saying roughly the same thing about Pickles, and.....

If we had a decent set of tackles I'd be keen as gently caress for Fournette.

Just lol if the GM and co look at the roster and go "yep, we definitely need a running back"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

:laffo: The Panthers drafted a LB/S in last years draft. Look up Jeremy Cash.

In tiny hands watch:

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/823905554787696640

You're speaking to my point, the panthers have more than enough athletic thumpers, they need coverage safeties and pass protectors and have done for years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

I was just laughing at the fact that they keep going after linebackers when there is more need at other positions. I'll need to look over their Free Agent history and draft history to get a feel on what their GM likes to do. From outside looking in (and a very generic point of view) it looks like he values 1 Techs, 3 techs, Linebackers, and Guards/Centers. He doesnt put a lot of resources into Wide Receiver or DB and will rely on mid to late draft picks or guys they can pick up on the cheap from free agency (Kurt Coleman, Charles Tillman, Ted Ginn etc.). I'll make a point to look into the team along with the Cowboys and Redskins.

Doltos, have you checked out this Antonio Pipkin guy? I wasnt able to catch much of the senior bowl practices but I was able to see that awesome throw he made to Evan Engram. Outside of that one throw the QB play I saw was pretty terrible.

I think its a little less he values them and more colleges churn out guys pro ready more often at that position. Playing linebacker, guard and defensive tackle doesn't change as much as safety, wr or rb in a weird and wonderful only works in college scheme.

When you get down to it in the scheme of things the team massively outplayed their talent level last year and still had some major flaws. It was easier to add good players who were pro ready and roll with stop gap solutions but its no longer the case where taking the bpa pro ready prospect is the beat strategy.

I know drafting for need is fraught with danger but the team is at that point where they could build a really effective roster or flounder in that in contention for the divison but not much else.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sataere posted:

You do realize that Shula has been there for more than just the past two years. There are plenty of mediocre coordinators that have had a flash in the pan good year. Last year, your offense regressed back to the mean.

Shula is definitely a big part of the problem, most notably he seems to be incapable of changing game plans and adjusting during games, like at all.

The argument can also be made however that several players turning into pumpkins like Tolbert and Ginn and the entire offensive line dying and their replacements sucking hard, Cam playing through injuries etc were also contributing factors.

As bad as Shula is, the team could be competitive if they closed some of the gaping holes in the team at Tackle and improved some pieces in the run game.

There isn't just one issue in Carolina offensively.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Take the guard etc.

Antonio Garcia is going to be really good for who ever picks him up. Dude killed it in the senior bowl.

Oh and poor Pumphrey....

How is that dude so small playing college football and still alive?

You gotta think at weigh ins hed smashed some food and water to try and gain whatever weight he could for the scales too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MrLogan posted:

Eddie Lacy is going to be a Panther next year.

I wouldnt care. He can be fat and do what mike Tolbert used to do. Be fat and . break some tackles on swing passes once or twice a game.

Get a loving tackle you cunts fuuuuuuuu

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

Weird. I swear I remember beat writers saying it wouldn't count because they untagged him.

Nah I'm pretty sure a if a team rescinds the tag it's like it never happened in the first place.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yug posted:

I think you also have to factor in the racial issue with the Mixon scenario.

Would the media and tff white posters be harping on his incident if he was white?

I think anyone honest with themselves knows the answer to that.

So when I see tff posters keep bringing it up to denigrate the young man it just seems well... bigoted.

Lol gently caress off idiot. Theres no corroboration there was racial mitigating circumstances.

Pretty sure all of tff went off their collective spherical tits over a white kicker beating this poo poo out of his missus too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Every year for the last few years we've rehashed the whole safety and guard in the first or top 10 or top 15 and the argument is always raised that its only "once in an era" talents that go high and its usually wrong.

Teams will take bpa according to their boards because they dont have to pay these guys poo poo in the scheme of things for 4+1 years.

Its the same reason people are surprised at the money veteran role players get in free agency and the heavy 1 year deals that are going around.

Financially it used to be stupid at hell to take a guard early because youd end uo having to pay a guard tackle money or a saftey like they were a tier 1 corner.

If a team can take a scheme fit that will start from day 1 they're going to take them regardless of positioning in the draft.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just take Fournette ffs.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

I think the concern is that fournette won't make it to 8.

Than you take cook.

Mccaffery would be good for someone like belichick or reid. Its retarded putting him in Shula's offense.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

howard or adams

Run a two tight end set and find some running back to follow up jonathan stewart, or set up your secondary for the next five years

bing bong so simple

That works for me too.

Or just try like gently caress to trade back.

That two tight end set we had with shockey and olsen when chud ran the offense gets my dick hard just thinking about it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

"He has an ugly girlfriend" has literally been a knock against players before.

I remember it being a thing in moneyball and they had irl scouts at their round table so it doesnt surprise me.

Best way to know if the Panthers are going to draft someone is if something leaks about a prospect theyve been linked with.

The leaks about a possible heart issue with Star - panthers doctor did the eval.
Kelvin being late to a meeting with a team - it was carolina and it was false.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Is there a reason the panthers shouldn't just take Ramczyk or Robinson if Fournette and Adams are off the board. I know pass rush and RB help is needed, but I'd rather Robinson even if he is a mauling retard rather than the "dancing bear" everyone covets than McCaffery.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Demon Of The Fall posted:

The Titans coddled VY like a newborn babe, I have no idea what else they could have done. He didn't study film, he didn't have the desire to get better. He coasted for a couple good years and then washed out like he would have on any other team.

He also had a fantastic offensive line for the early part of his career and CJ2k at the time was loving dunking on people. He had it pretty easy and still hosed it up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

If the Panthers draft McAffery I'm going to have....issues.

I'm pretty secure in my delusion that it's 5 dimensional chess to trade back and still take howard.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'd be interested in seeing ten yard splits for the RBs

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kiimo posted:

I don't know I just watched like fifteen minutes of his highlights and came away thinking nah. Certainly not worth trading up for. If you're going to trade up for a running back he's got to be a destroyer of worlds not a dude who can put up 225 ten times. But maybe his speed is deceiving. His 37" vertical is particularly promising. I don't' know.

On the chiefs or Pats he could be a monster, it's going to be about the right fit though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fake News!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

He'll be like Jason Sehorn. Super good like 20% of the time, useless 30% of the time and injured the other 50%. Giving caste football something to jerk off to.

I like that the view is he should go to carolina to be a runner, receiver and return man when we could probably get the same production from guys on the roster or taken a few rounds later.

Jesus christ just draft a pass rusher or a safety.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

If neither Adams or Fournette are there, just take OJ Howard.

Run a two tight end set.

You draft a physical freak so it checks gettleman's box, he gets to learn from greg olsen, he'll be there for ten years.

It's a loving no brainer.

That idea gets my dick pretty hard.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Maybe, just maybe. A blanket rule for the hardest position in pro sports to develop, produce or predict is dumb.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fsif posted:

None of those players were drafted within the last decade.

Tyrod is probably one of the better more recent examples, but he was drafted in the sixth and the Ravens STILL got no real value from him.

The majority guys coming out today are less pro ready.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I am mildly anxious and massively hype. Sucks im at work but whooooooooooooo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Is QB "ball velocity" really a thing or nah?

For certain things, without a doubt. Check out cams goal line throw to dickson against atlanta for instance. Alex smith isnt making that throw.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Robinson is Oher 2.0. Solid run, iffy pass, way too many penalties. Dude flashes dominance but I can't remember that the last o-linemen that impressed without consistency. I'd rather have Lamp or Morton.

Oher 1.0 was ok for us but has a broken brain, Robinson at the worst can be a RT or a guard, and the Panthers aren't likely to be able to keep both the guards on the roster since both of them are loving amazing. I know it's a poo poo offensive line draft but I wouldn't have thrown my toys outta the pram if we took him at 8. I wouldn't care if we got him in the 2nd. Failing that they still need pass rush and defensive back could be a lot better. I liked the assessment of this DB class when it was said that its very deep, but not exactly elite at the top end. Now the big guns are off the board the panthers can get some good value and depth for safety and CB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Give me your smart unathletic but not that unathletic skill position guys from schools no one has heard of plz.

• Locked thread