Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

People have been hyping this kid up a lot lately. Hope he makes it to Seattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Chichevache posted:

Fant looked like our second best lineman all year long. :shepicide: I think he might be able to develop into something eventually.

I disagree, but even if you're right and Fant's the second best lineman for Seattle, that is still god awful. Like "probably doesn't even make it as depth on a different team" level of poo poo. The seahawks aren't the talent powerhouse they were in 2013, but every unit is at least average except for OL, which is the worst in the league. This should be easy to solve because drafted OL have a smaller bust rate and can transition to the NFL faster than other positions.

Take OL at 26 and trade up to draft another in the late first/early second.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Second best OL on Seahawks. JFC talk about Damning with Faint Praise.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The last time they did that was... very recently, and to great effect.

What's up with Luke? He back to 100%? What are the procedures in the future for his health?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

swickles posted:

Hey guys, I was thinking about how we try to do a mock draft every year and how we usually only get through two or three rounds and that takes almost the whole off season. I have a team based idea in mind. Basically instead of each person picking one team and drafting for them, everyone picks between 2 and 4 teams that they follow. No picking a rival just to take a punter in the first, at least take this a little serious or else it won't be interesting or fun. So for instance, I would take the Steelers, the Dolphins, and Jags. My man Ehud, living in the Carolinas and loving all things Henne takes the Dolphins, Panthers, and Jags. Febreeze takes the Giants and Seahawks. Basically, you pick a team that you root for and a team or two or three that you follow either because of geography or you have to draw them every drat week. Each "team" chats about overall strat, develops a big board, whatever. If the pick is up and you get to the computer, you make it and we move on. Instead of waiting 24-48 hours for a single guy to make a pick, you have hopefully 3 or 4 people all on the same plane of thinking who has the power to make the pick. Sound good?

I thought about something similar to this.

1. Goons form into squads for each team.
2. Goons on the team collaborate on a google spreadsheet, ranking the likely available prospects.
3. There is a deadline where the google spreadsheet must be shared with a non-partisan commissioner.
4. Commish makes an effort post detailing the results.

It loses the ~magic~ of the thread updating over weeks, but I think it's a decent strategy.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm getting a vibe on fournette like with peterson and calvin where they just blew the combine to pieces and teams drafted them regardless of what they had or needed.

Yeah, same.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How has Peppers looked? Can't wait for him to bust.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Doltos is really bad at scouting and predictions, but so is basically everyone and at least it fosters discussion.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Intruder posted:

The Ringer has a new mock up

https://theringer.com/ringer-nfl-mock-draft-version-2-6917921551d6

Texans take Kizer at 25. Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Spends a 1st for a Seattle backup.

Great draft The Ringer more like The Dingus!!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

wandler20 posted:

I don't like dogs.

jfc mods?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Say all the terrible poo poo in the world, but not liking dogs is crossing the line.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

John Brown posted:

I'll one up ya. I don't give a flying gently caress about dogs.

Fight me :colbert:

1v1 3-stock no items final destination

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

FizFashizzle posted:

Lots of smoke the Panthers are trying to trade up with San Fran, ostensibly to draft Soloman Thomas of all loving people.

Kill me.

This doesn't make any sense.

e: actually I guess this draft class has a relatively flat talent distribution at the very top, so trading up might not cost as much as 8->2 would normally cost. It's still confusing and dumb though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

FizFashizzle posted:

the more confusing bit would the Panthers would have four stud DTs (assuming they see Thomas as a DT) they've spent 3 firsts and a 2nd on.

Surely they'd have to trade either Star or KK if they pulled that off because you couldn't use them all.

Right, positionally it doesn't make any loving sense especially with such dire needs at OL and I'd argue the secondary. Given the talent value and distribution of those two positions this is the ideal draft for Carolina to trade down.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Cavauro posted:

The 2017 NFL Draft begins on April 27. Whoever becomes forced to play for my team, I'll like them for one to three years and then admit that the bad ones are not good. Talk About a full schedule. Until then, let's keep On saying goodbye to each other ironically [because we aren't parting ways]

gently caress, still so far away.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I think the Titans are poised to make a really big leap this year. Youngsters have been developing for a bit, they have decent talent at positions, and their record was artificially lowered due to injuries (just a bit but still). And Mariota is the real deal, he improved to a 95 QB Rating last year and could hit high 90's low 100's this year assuming they get some WR help. It's kind of "duh" because they have 2 first rounders but this draft is perfect to address their needs at WR and CB.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Gadzooks I stand corrected

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It still blows my mind how much Julius Peppers produced with such disregard to technique.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Vince Young could have been great on a better organization.

I don't know about great but certainly going to a non-Jeff Fisher team would have been better.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Kalli posted:

That's how I feel.

Carr, Wilson, Cousins, Dalton, Dak and even Kaepernick/Bridgewater all show that you can build a competent team and plug in 2nd-4th round QB's now and find success.

That seems better then the talent dry teams grabbing QB's top 10 which has given us over that timeframe:

Hits: Cam, Luck, Stafford, Tannehill
Misses: Sanchez, Bradford, Gabbert, Locker, RG3

Not sure, trending positive: Mariota, Winston, Wentz
Not sure, trending negative: Bortles, Goff

Of course plenty (most) round 2-4 QB's loving fail, but at least that only costs you a later pick and not like Eric Berry or Kalil Mack. And QB's in better situations tend to have way higher hit rates for some mysterious loving reason.

I generally agree with your position, but that specific argument has several flawed components. Most egregious is that even among your examples of slected-top-10 qb's, there is an enormously higher success rate than the later round qb's. Further, let's look at the quality of players in the "hit/not sure trending positive" categories. Cam, Luck, Mariota, Winston, and Stafford are significantly better than all the late round QBs except Wilson and Carr.

To your point, Dak and Carr have the 1st and 2nd best OL in the league. Which demonstrates that investing in OL makes the QB much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
*sweating profusely in tattered 2010 Okung jersey*

Come to daddy Forrest.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 28, 2017

• Locked thread