Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Milky Moor posted:

Tomorrow, I'll be running through What He Beheld, the final episode of Season 1 and maybe one of the best episodes of the series. We'll see!

I'd love to see your take on that episode. In my opinion it's good enough to pay off all the flaws and missed chances in S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Thank you !

Man, I'd forgotten how much I wanted to see Cameron at prom.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

It's a nice song and some elements of it are nice (it flat out tells you who killed Sarkissian, for example) but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny, I find. From what I've seen around the net, the musical scene in What He Beheld was very well-recieved, so, maybe the production team wanted to capture that lightning again. If so, they didn't quite succeed.

Of course, doesn't Cromartie also exhibit a certain sort of faith, with his belief that Ellison will lead him to the Connors?

The "What He Beheld" scene was absolute gold, it's no surprise they might try again. But, I don't think you can carry a show with significant events told solely in montages with a soundtrack. The producers get a lot of credit for the genius in that scene. Think how much the scene cost the way they did it. Then think about how much actually showing the whole firefight would cost. A movie can do it ("Don't worry lady, there's 30 cops in this building." "29 !... 28, 27 !... 26 !...", they have the budget. That scene is sitting pretty in the producer's reel.

Cromartie obviously has his learning chip enabled, unlike Arnie in T2.Cameron gets all the attention because of, y'know, Summer Glau, but they managed to make real chaacters out of several Terminators; Vick, Weaver, Cromartie, Cameron, and Depression-era Entrepreneur Terminator all showed personality and some personal growth. And John Henry of course. Mind you, Depression-era Terminator is on the list mostly as a joke.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

The fact that Derek is, as you say "a temporal oddity from a future that no longer exists" means that there can't be a loop, so if the new Derek also goes back in time he won't replace the original Derek, he'll be there as well.

The Derek who gets sent back after things have changed, lands in a different timeline than the one where we watched the future get changed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

It's amazing, really, that Derek Reese - perhaps the most fanfictiony of all the characters, at first glance, Kyle Reese's hardcore unknown older brother - seems to be the most well-regarded, and that's probably because Green nails the hardened killer vibe.

Naturally I was hyped for this show, not least because the ARG promo material used a nuked-out San Francisco. But when I first saw the full cast list my reaction was "Bryan Austin Green.... sounds familiar... <IMDB visit>... oh god no." And then they introduced his character and he was good; giving him the line "I won't be the guy who brings metal down on the Connors" really, really helped. And then a show which seemed a little rough in the first handful of episodes just snapped into focus.

All because of Uncle Derek.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

But, at the same time, it feels like an episode that arose from 'What if a Terminator got sent back into the 1920s' as opposed to 'What is it like being Cameron for a night?'

I agree with that. Cameron's stuff seemed like B plot stuff, less well-developed and not the thematic core of the episode. That, unfortunately, belonged to John and Riley. The 1920s Terminator stuff was good, it builds the menace of the metal in subtle ways. "...and it will not ever stop." takes on a new meaning when you see a T-888 use its learning chip to adapt to a situation it was not prepared for and had to actual create the preconditions for its original mission.

I wish they'd focused on Cameron's life away from the Connors. Use the 1920s stuff as what Cameron is actually working on, other than her own development as a person. Then bring in the Riley thing as John's life away from home, also learning to manage social situations wholly independently. End with John beating down the jock and Cameron handling the 1920s Terminator to get to the juicy questions about why they resort to violence. John has a nobility about him where he'll fight to protect others, and Cameron is developing something similar where she can eschew violence in a situation where it was an option.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Reading that late at night left me with a really bizarre dream based on SCC. Thanks for posting !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

As far as I'm concerned, Desert Cantos exists solely for the Savannah scene with Weaver. That poor kid, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

The show is at its best with anything to do with the robots, really. And Weaver's creepy but earnest attempts at being a family is one of them. You have to wonder what'd happen to Savannah, if she'd ever find out what happened to her mother.

I am absolutely positive that Savannah knows that Weaver isn't really Mommy anymore. But it looks like Mommy, does... some of what Mommy did, and she knows no one would believe her if she said anything. So she goes along with the masquerade and plays along that that's Mommy. It helps her that Weaver is trying to live up to the responsibility she inherited when she took over the Weaver's lives, but it can only help so much. How can a child grieve for a parent that's standing right there ?

It's the creepiest part of the show and I wish there were more of it.

• Locked thread