Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

There are some stellar and some terrible episodes, but it ends in an incredibly strong way. Garret Dillahunt and Brian Austin Green deliver some surprisingly great performances.

Also, never forget:

I hope that doesn't count as a spoiler.

My review of the series:

- The Pilot: Constipated Terminator makes a lovely remake of T1/T2.
- Shortly after: They ice the gently caress out of that actor and replace him with an awesome actor
- Series gets lame
- Derek Reese shows up, series gets awesome
- Things remain awesome until season 2's sweep week
- We get stuck 3 episodes with Sarah being dull as poo poo and hallucinating
- Series goes back to being awesome
- Series has one of the most badass main character deaths
- Series ends awesome

Overall: It was a great show when it didn't try to be terminator, and it's worst when it tried to be the movies. But when it ignored the action aspect and focused on the sci-fi aspect, it was really exceptional and had a lot more to give.

Also I will note that I thought Lena Heady was the weakest part of the show but in hindsight I realize without even a slight doubt that her version of Sarah Connor was the worst only because of the writers, she's utterly kicked rear end in everything she's been in since. Still, Derek Reese was the biggest surprise as the best part of the show, esp. since on paper it sounds like a terrible idea.

ED: Oh yeah, one of the best moments was when John Connor flipped everyone thinking he was a naive rear end in a top hat on it's head and was playing his future girlfriend to find out more the whole time before calling her on that poo poo. It was nice to see that after such a frustrating build-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

And I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that Genisys was :airquote:inspired by:airquote: TSCC, like it was from the rest of the franchise as well.

It might sound like a nitpick, but the minute they miscast Kyle Reese so badly I went "WHAT THE gently caress!?" repeatedly it summed up the tone of the whole movie.

Anton Yelchin was a good choice in another lovely Terminator movie though (RIP). I don't even have a problem with Jai Courtney (SP?) like some people.. he wasn't really bad in the movie, he was just really very wrong for the part. It'd be like casting Ed Norton as John Rambo; Norton's fine and I'm sure would put in an effort, but just -come the gently caress on-, really. Kyle was supposed to be a dirty scrapper type, not a hulking clean-cut marine that's as big as the Terminator. It ruins the whole aesthetic.

Milky Moor posted:

Ultimately, I feel that this show is an underappreciated gem, flaws and all, and the more people who learn about it and appreciate it, the better!

It absolutely is. I might have mentioned a few lame parts in my earlier post, and there were some bad episodes, but overall the good episodes were REALLY, REALLY GOOD. I was in an odd spot on this one: Fox really did give it a bunch of chances (and sadly renewed Dollhouse instead of TSCC, something even Whedon actually vocally said was a bad idea, hilariously), and it was one of my favorite shows, but it just never found it's footing because of a few bad eps. and a lackluster pilot.

Once the show got into gear it was really good.

That said anyone reading this thread and not watching Westworld needs to get on that poo poo. A LOT of the better parts of the sci-fi from TSCC are present in that show, and I can see very, very few TSCC fans who'd dislike Westworld.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 12, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sticklefifer posted:

This series legit has my favorite TV character death of all time.

Major spoiler: When Derek bites it, it's not lingered on, it's not a big production, it just happens. The Terminator doesn't even break his stride while trying to get to John and Sarah. It was the perfect way of displaying that all it takes is ONE human error, which the machines don't make. It's so abrupt you're not even sure you just saw it, and you ask yourself "Did they really just do that?"

Without adding more to the spoiler tag, I will say, it was absolutely perfect and I agree with all those points. You almost never see it like that, ever.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

I watched the first episode of Westworld and it just seemed incredibly dumb. Like, everything fromt he premise up is just stupid and makes no sense. My biggest issue: They've got those magic guns that only kill robots, right? But then that guy murders a bunch of robots with a knife. Is the knife magic too? And clearly there are people there to rape and torture and murder gruesomely. How are they not accidentally hurting or killing other players all the time?

Oh, and you've got this wild west simulation, but you can't have a bar brawl where you smash chairs on people or throw them through windows because real humans could get hurt by that. What's even the point?

I'd strongly encourage you to give it another shot. Anyone who enjoyed the Cromartie arc is almost guaranteed to like the show, though things are a bit confusing for the first episodes.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
After Salvation, I'm pretty convinced we're never getting another good Terminator anything until they inevitably reboot it in like 2050. It's very sad.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Jai 'Stop trying to make Jai Courtney happen' Courtney and Emily '2nd best Sarah Connor to come out of Game of Thrones' Clarke, presumably.

I don't even hate Jai Courtney but holy poo poo was that miscasting for Kyle Reese. Like, holy poo poo. I could name like a hundred actors I'd pick for the role and literally not one of them is a Terminator-looking guy. Kyle's a scrapper drat it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For those interested in this thread, which I'm guessing is most of you, James Cameron recently re-aquired the entire Terminator franchise and is going to be executive producing them under his own production company, with the first installment to be helmed by the Deadpool director of all things.

It sounds like he really just wants to make the Terminator 3 he almost made before negotiations fell through and we got.. what we got.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

What was the Terminator 3 he almost made? I can't recall if it was covered in the Terminator Vault when I read through that, and I don't have access to it at the moment.

Back when he dropped out, it was basically over his creative view that the T2 Director's Cut is legitimate, and that John Connor successfully stopped Judgement day after T2 and (some how) even becomes a Senator somehow.

Thus, Terminator 3 was going to be set entirely in the Terminator future and cover John Connor's entire campaign against the machines, leading to him sending Kyle Reese back and fixing the timeline.

So basically instead of an awesome full future war movie that doesn't involve time travel until the very, very end, we got .. "Haha just kidding, there's totally fate we don't make" Terminator 3.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

That future is Cromartie, seated in a little chair, a cable running from his CPU port into the mass of machinery that makes up the Turk.

I so want his actor to show up on Westworld, given his HBO ties of playing TWO characters on Deadwood and his amazing way of playing artificial intelligence. I'm sad he's not a bigger name actor, dude is really good.

Ironically I think I hated Leany Heady the most on Terminator and felt she was really miscast, which is in hindsight, really not her doing because she's one of the most badass actress out there right now. They played her too meek and soft, when Heady is super good at playing 100% ruthless badass (See: Dredd)

Also I'm disappointed I've never seen Derek Reese's actor in more stuff. Derek Reese is what saved the show for me during it's rocky start, an idea I hated on paper but dug in execution. He was hands down the best part of the show for me.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

That's the whole point - it doesn't need more, because time travel itself creates as many as you want.

In the movies, there's a loop, so Terminator is created at point C, travels back in time from point D to point A, is destroyed at point B. It's the same terminator the entire way through.

A -> B -> C -> D -> A

But on TV it's more complicated. Now when the terminator travels from point D to point A, points B, C and D are overwritten, so in effect time goes:

A -> B -> C -> D -> A¹ -> B¹ -> C¹ -> D¹ -> A²

Now at point B¹ the original terminator is destroyed and at C¹ a new terminator is created. This terminator then travels back in time to point A² where the terminator from point D is already waiting. And you can repeat this process as many times as you like, creating new "time remnant" terminators from futures that no longer exist each time you do. Skynet can create an army out of a single terminator for the cost of a single trip through time.

On the show I loved the idea they were literally smashing timelines with every change, so that there were a machines running around from timelines that no longer existed, perhaps even with completely incompatible orders. The biggest way to mess up the predestination stuff is to send a Terminator back, have it survive into the future to fill Skynet in on what it learned, thus completely changing the next loop's mindset, and repeat indefinitely.

It's a shame they never got to expand on it more. They had some really interesting ideas for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

As I said, this episode is the worst in TSCC's whole lineup. Luckily, it is the last 'bad' episode before things start to get moving again. Unfortunately, six straight weeks of bad episodes -- Self Made Man until now -- are going to be a blight on any show.

For those who weren't here during the live airing, I should note that this string of bad episodes happened right during sweeps. It's like the show tried to kill itself before immediately returning to being awesome after it's fate was sealed.

And the sad part is it got canned for a 2nd season of Dollhouse, which took an interesting premise at the end of the 1st season and then screwed it completely up for the most part because the lead star was just awful. loving awful.

I know I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I do find it funny that Westworld in many ways feels partly inspired by both TSCC and Dollhouse (and a lot of GTA Online; really, Nolan had all the writers play at minimum of like 40 hours of GTA before starting writing). Which is almost certainly what lead them to wanting Trevor to cameo.

• Locked thread