Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blazing Ownager posted:

That said anyone reading this thread and not watching Westworld needs to get on that poo poo. A LOT of the better parts of the sci-fi from TSCC are present in that show, and I can see very, very few TSCC fans who'd dislike Westworld.

I watched the first episode of Westworld and it just seemed incredibly dumb. Like, everything fromt he premise up is just stupid and makes no sense. My biggest issue: They've got those magic guns that only kill robots, right? But then that guy murders a bunch of robots with a knife. Is the knife magic too? And clearly there are people there to rape and torture and murder gruesomely. How are they not accidentally hurting or killing other players all the time?

Oh, and you've got this wild west simulation, but you can't have a bar brawl where you smash chairs on people or throw them through windows because real humans could get hurt by that. What's even the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Astroman posted:

Let's also get a little love in here for Shirley Manson's creepy evil(?) terminator. She was really great in her role as well.

Best part of the show, IMO.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

CAMERON: The tortoise.

JOHN: What tortoise?

CAMERON: It was on its back by the side of the road in Mexico. Your mother turned it over.

JOHN: She was helping it.

CAMERON: I know. But why?

JOHN: 'cause that's what we do. When we, uh... When we see something that's, uh, in pain, or in trouble, or whatever, we try and help it.

CAMERON: Empathy.

JOHN: Something like that.

CAMERON: But not everyone would turn the tortoise over.

JOHN: No. Some would just leave it there.

CAMERON: Some would probably drive over it and crush it.

JOHN: Yeah, I guess they would. Is that what you'd do?

CAMERON: It didn't seem like much of a threat. We're not built to be cruel.

That seems inconsistent with her apparent desire to kill the bird in the chimney.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Unfortunately, if you follow the train of logic, every time something changes, a different version of the same time traveller should be arriving in the past. The version of time travel from the movies (or the first three, anyway, I haven't seen the later ones) prevents this by requiring a stable loop - Kyle coming back causes John to exist, causing Kyle to be sent back, etc. In the show, the answer to "why aren't there dozens of Dereks running around?" is "don't think about it".

See, if Derek comes back and changes something then he's created different future, so the new future's Derek should now be sent back, so there should have been two Dereks all along, so the two Dereks change the future even more so a third Derek now exists, etc. until they change the future enough that Derek never gets sent back in time and the number of Dereks stops increasing.

The only way to prevent it is intentionally, by being very careful not to send known time travellers back in time. If John knows that Derek came back in time to help him then he must, under no circumstances, send Derek back in time, unless he wants there to be multiple Dereks. But even if John wants to avoid duplicating people, I can't see any reason for Skynet to not keep sending the same terminators back in order to create cost-free armies of terminators in the past.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

In TSCC, there is one timeline. There are no branching timelines. There are not alternate futures. There is one timeline with one future, only the future is constantly in flux based on actions in the past. The future exists at the same time that the past/present exists.

At first, the TSCC timeline is relatively simple: Andy Goode creates the Turk which becomes 'afraid' and destroys the world. Derek comes back in time, kills Goode, and changes the future.

So, the future changes. Our Derek is no longer there, because he went back in time. But there is another Derek, because the younger Derek we saw in the park still grows up, but this Derek has no reason to come back because Goode is dead (and he never invents Skynet in this timeline) and learning about Goode's complicity was what led Derek to go back in time.
That's exactly the problem. What happens if the thing Derek changed wasn't enough to stop him from coming back in time? What if the thing he changed created a different situation that caused him to go back in time? In the show it works out because it's narratively convenient, but there's no reason the new Derek couldn't also go back in time, and then you've got two Dereks in the past causing even more changes, which could themselves lead to a third Derek going back, etc.

The fact that Derek is, as you say "a temporal oddity from a future that no longer exists" means that there can't be a loop, so if the new Derek also goes back in time he won't replace the original Derek, he'll be there as well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

The Derek who gets sent back after things have changed, lands in a different timeline than the one where we watched the future get changed.

Sort of, but that timeline replaces the existing one. We know this because of Jesse and Derek having different memories of the future. There are no parallel timelines, only one that's constantly in flux.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

But it doesn't.

The situation that brings Derek back in time is knowing who built Skynet. We see in the future that, despite everything, Derek is a soldier who follows orders and believes in John Connor. He wouldn't so easily abandon the fight against Skynet, and only did so because he thought he could fix everything by ending the war before it begun. If that meeting with Goode never happens, Derek never gets the idea to 'fix everything', never takes the idea to John, never goes back in time. Sure, there are other reasons that could send Derek back in time, but that speculation starts taking things in a direction that is hard to talk about because there's a million things that could happen, but don't.

The problem is, for no one to be duplicated, everyone has to have similarly contrived reasons for travelling/not travelling. Let's move on from Derek and just use a hypothetical other resistance member. They travel back with some goal which they fail to achieve. The future plays out essentially unaltered, meaning that they now have the exact same reason for travelling back, and do so. But this doesn't erase the original time traveller, it creates a new one. We know this doesn't happen with Derek, but for each additional time traveller the chance of it happening increases. Especially if they were chosen for the mission rather than going for their own reasons, because what makes someone a good candidate for one time travel mission will likely make them a good candidate for another. So even if they succeed, unless they actually change the future enough that Skynet is defeated or they're unavailable, they'll also be chosen for whatever version of the time travel mission exists in the new timeline.

And if you look at Skynet's time travel missions it becomes an even bigger problem. A terminator is sent back to kill Sarah Connor and fails. We know that Skynet had the ability to send more terminators because we've seen several of them, so why not send another one to help the original? Why not send the original again, and again, and again, until there are enough terminators in the past to get the job done? Why was there not an army of Arnies chasing Sarah around in 1984?

It works in the film because you can't change things. John only exists because Kyle goes back in time and Kyle only goes back in time because John exists. It's a loop. But that's explicitly not the case in the show, so if Skynet sent a terminator back in time and the terminator failed in its mission, Skynet should be able to just send another one as backup in order to change the past. It doesn't even cost anything, because from Skynet's perspective it's just one terminator, the same one it would have sent anyway, but the time travel process duplicates it at the destination.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Skynet's definitely the odd duck. Cold machine logic would necessitate more Terminators being sent. But, as best as we can determine, Skynet never has more than the Terminators it ever has and none of them survive from the past to end up giving it x+1. It only ever has the T-800 on hand to send after Sarah, the T-1000 to send to John. It always sends them and they always fail but the timeline never changes enough to make not sending them an option.
That's the whole point - it doesn't need more, because time travel itself creates as many as you want.

In the movies, there's a loop, so Terminator is created at point C, travels back in time from point D to point A, is destroyed at point B. It's the same terminator the entire way through.

A -> B -> C -> D -> A

But on TV it's more complicated. Now when the terminator travels from point D to point A, points B, C and D are overwritten, so in effect time goes:

A -> B -> C -> D -> A¹ -> B¹ -> C¹ -> D¹ -> A²

Now at point B¹ the original terminator is destroyed and at C¹ a new terminator is created. This terminator then travels back in time to point A² where the terminator from point D is already waiting. And you can repeat this process as many times as you like, creating new "time remnant" terminators from futures that no longer exist each time you do. Skynet can create an army out of a single terminator for the cost of a single trip through time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

TSCC follows the same time travel rules as 12 Monkeys (both movie and show), where it doesn't create duplicates of time travelers when the future changes. There's probably a name for it.

It's been ages since I saw it, but I thought 12 Monkeys (the movie) followed the same rules as The Terminator, ie. everything he does to change the future just causes it to happen exactly the same as it had always been going to anyway?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Back when he dropped out, it was basically over his creative view that the T2 Director's Cut is legitimate, and that John Connor successfully stopped Judgement day after T2 and (some how) even becomes a Senator somehow.
What happens in the director's cut? I'm pretty sure it's the only version I've seen (because it has the scene of them setting the terminator to learning mode that the original version omits, right?) but I don't remember anything that definitively showed they'd changed the timeline. Sarah's monologue at the end tells us that she believes she's changed the future, but whether she's right or not is left up to interpretation.

Milky Moor posted:

Cromartie's actor is really great, which is something that becomes obvious in the scenes he has as John Henry if people thought Cromartie was a fluke. Of course, I think Season 2's strongest stuff is, really, a lot of the John Henry content, and a lot of that is because of how well Garret Dillahunt plays the role of a terrifyingly innocent supercomputer. Who else could have sold a Terminator playing with and obsessing over Bionicles as unsettling as opposed to laughable?
The stuff the Connors are doing is fine, but it's the stuff with Weaver and John Henry that really makes this show worth remembering. Without the John Henry plot, it would have been just an OK TV show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Not having watched it recently, and based on your comments, I'm wondering if maybe this episode could have fitted better before the previous one rather than after?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

And the sad part is it got canned for a 2nd season of Dollhouse, which took an interesting premise at the end of the 1st season and then screwed it completely up for the most part because the lead star was just awful. loving awful.
FTFY.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When I was watching this show, I assumed the third faction was John Henry. We've already seen that Skynet will eventually exist because if you stop one potential AI then someone else will just invent it instead, so it would make sense that some rival team also created another AI at the same time. Knowing Skynet's fondness for sending agents back in time to kill its enemies before they can become a threat, Skynet would probably have tried the same thing with John Henry, which would have prompted JH to send his own agent (Weaver) back to secure his own existence. This leads to the situation where Weaver ends up creating John Henry, just as Kyle Reese was sent back in time by John Connor to create John Connor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

SARAH: We need to get out. They're trying to kill my son.

WEAVER: No, they're trying to kill my son. Just like you are.

SARAH: I'm sure she's done it.

WEAVER: You better hope not. Your John may save the world, but he can't do it without mine.
This dialogue alone is almost definitive proof to me that John Henry created himself in the same way John Connor did. John Connor sent Reese back in time to become his father and John Henry sent "Weaver" back in time to become his "mother".

• Locked thread