Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I loved this show, and I'm glad you've brought this thread back. I can't wait to read your take on the relationship between John and Cameron at the end of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I certainly don't think that a third season of this show would have had anywhere near the budget needed to do justice to the scenario the finale left us with.

You can see even in this episode that the budget was strained: we see literally nothing in the future scenes except the orangey interior of an underground bunker.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Stephanie Jacobsen's not very physically intimidating, but I think she does a great job selling a mix of desperation, frustration, and confusion throughout this episode. It's a recurring thing for Jesse that even though she's competent and decisive, she just barely falls short on all her goals because she can't command people's respect.

I actually think that in Season 2, Jesse's story is the single most interesting plot line, both in concept and in execution. The character introduces a nice wrinkle into the time travel element by having future knowledge that doesn't match everyone else's, which makes her a sometime ally who nonetheless won't ever get along with the main characters. And I like the way her arc plays out. She slowly becomes more and more unhinged, but we see later on that the inciting incident that pushed her along this path wasn't even really her fault; we in the audience don't agree with her conclusions or her methods, but we can certainly sympathize with her.

But there's much more to say about Jesse later on, so I'll look forward to you discussing "Today is the Day."

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never watched this series but I enjoy the first three Terminator movies at least (didn't like Salvation; haven't bothered with Genisys); I have heard it has a big cliffhanger at the end. Is it still worth watching?

I was very disappointed by the non-ending of Alphas.

I wouldn't say the series has a non-ending; the finale of TSCC is a reasonable culmination of what's happened in the series so far. However, it also radically changes the status quo and introduces all sorts of new possibilities, none of which get followed up on. So I think it's a little annoying, but not unsatisfactory, if that makes sense.

I do think the series as a whole is very good and worth watching.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

One neat bit I'll point out is that P-Skynet has the T-888 schematics, and it sends them to its henchman when he's trying to remove Cameron's chip. But she isn't a triple-eight—something we found out all the way back in "Gnothi Seauton," when the Vick-Terminator couldn't identify her model.

If Cameron was one of the terminators who was torturing Derek, Billy Wisher, and company, would she have necessarily had the Allison disguise yet? He and his friends might have been interrogated to find out who's closest to John Connor, or whom he might be attracted to, or something like that.

That doesn't explain why Derek found himself mysteriously freed, though. One possibility is that Cameron wasn't under the control of Skynet at all; instead, she was part of an early effort by a nascent machine resistance to observe John Connor and determine whether to seek an alliance with him. Murdering Allison and taking her identity might have been their (very extreme) way of inserting one of their own. Go back and watch the Allison/Cameron interrogation scenes:

https://youtu.be/NpqSC0f17M0

At first watch I think everyone assumes Cameron is lying here in order to trick Allison. But maybe she was just telling the truth all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

"An 18-something woman to be the new centerpiece of the new story."

Hmm.

HMMMMMM.

• Locked thread