Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Glad this series is still getting attention, it was always better than it had any right to be. They made some wise choices about what the show would and wouldn't be capable of, hit the cast jackpot many times, and even survived the writers' strike (more or less).

I also wanted to see the high school plot continue and Cameron go to the prom.

Milky Moor posted:

-we cut to another image of Halo 2. Specifically, of the Master Chief's flying-through-the-air-dead-flailing animation. I'm still trying to puzzle out the usage of Halo 2 in this series. Was it simple marketing? The Master Chief is a cyborg character who slowly comes to grips with his humanity - is that what they're trying to link to? A brief Internet search doesn't give me anything except Halo and Terminator crossover fan fiction, so, if anyone has any thoughts on it, feel free to comment!

On the one hand, simple Xbox product placement is a big part of season 2- I can remember Gears of War and Small Arms (a weird indie game about animals shooting each other) and maybe some Call of Duty. So it probably was marketing that forced them to choose an Xbox game to use there.

On the other hand, the opening segments of Halo 2 are concerned with aliens invading Earth and causing the same sort of death-from-the-skies apocalypse that happens in Terminator, so maybe they thought it meshed thematically. I wish I could find a video of the episode to try to recognize where in the game it's taken from, but I only have season 2 on hand.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Milky Moor posted:

Glau nails a glitchy, confused Cameron.

Their idea of how a damaged killing machine would beg for its life is perfect. It moves from phrase to phrase, trying different ways to impact John, retrying or discarding them as it monitors his feedback, while smoothly ramping up the facial and vocal emotion like someone's turning a dial. It's not at all how a human would act in that situation but at the same time it really is, just more efficiently.

I still listen to the cover of Samson and Delilah.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 25, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, they pulled off a good open ending which is more than most abruptly canceled shows get. John and Sarah permanently separated feels natural as the last possible thing that could happen in this story. It's enough to show that because of the events of the series, the future is a vastly different place, which was their goal all along.

You also forgot to include the execrable video game trash talk, but that's OK because no one should ever be subjected to it again. Man up, noob.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 16, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Milky Moor posted:

But doesn't that plot feel a bit weird given that most of Season 2 has demonstrated that John doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with Cameron? Like, sure, he has a certain attraction to her but he's not exactly giving in to it at any point. I can appreciate the nihilism of Jesse using Riley to execute a plot that isn't particularly necessary in the first place, but - similar to what I said about Sherman's death - the series doesn't strike me as a particularly nihilistic series and therefore it feels out of place, like things weren't written as neatly as they could have been.

I've always blamed that on the show's time travel model. We only got to see the love triangle situation where Riley is present as a distraction, not the previous timeline that must be somewhere out in the TSCC multiverse, where John had only Cameron as an outlet and confidant and maybe things went very differently during the corresponding portion of his life. To the extent that there is a triangle at all, Jesse's plan worked, and John is now going to turn out otherwise- just not necessarily in the way she hoped for.

They're trying to portray a chaotic system where characters have incomplete and conflicting information without ever using a detached omniscient perspective where it can all be laid out for the audience's benefit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Strange things happen at the one-two point :tinfoil:

Go has always been a sort of holy grail of AI research because it's a much more complicated game than chess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CPColin posted:

Somewhere in this bad stretch is where FOX did a huge promotional campaign. Maybe there was a long teaser during the Super Bowl or something? All that and then they toss up a pile of turkeys.

The midseason break was also somewhere in the past couple of episodes, so we got a good long while to think about them and build anticipation and then... this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The whole Weaver house scene is amazingly tense and I loved the gimmick of the Bluetooth headset being both her lifeline and leash. At this point it's hard to do something really new with Terminator hunt-and-chase but they pulled it off.

quote:

The understated humor of 'human talking to a monster' never really gets old in TSCC.

This is why I always missed the high school aspect of season 1 a little bit, all those moments were funny as hell. "Your sister's dark, bro..."

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 28, 2017

• Locked thread