Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Dusk settles across the still, silty waters of this gulf-side enclave. The reedbeds catch the harsh orange glare of <<Uth Affa>> in the distance. Not far from the treeline at the bank, neither far from the mouth of the Mississippi River, stands a large, old, multi-story home, built on struts that raise the structure far above encroaching floodwaters. This is known locally as the Cheramie House, occupied since the late 1870s by the isolated Creole family of the same name. To the People, this is the den of <<Nikmekkar Ayhya>>, the oldest <<Meninna>> pack on the Gulf Coast, and now, the last remaining <<Uratha>> stronghold in southern Louisiana.

The sun sets upon the arrival of new People. <<Tur>> is established here, tonight, a neutral ground whose peace is maintained by <<Nikmekkar Ayhya>>'s auxiliary spirits, and young packmates not yet afforded the responsibility of treating with outsiders. These watch along the periphery of the den, within Shadow and Flesh alike. Stories of <<Meninna>> savagery abound, even in remote places such as these. They gave no other warning to would-be trespassers, that a worthy offering might chance upon their <<mus-rah>>. All <<Uratha>> and <<Uragarum>> coming together here know the password, verified by the Gift of the <<Elodoth>>, however. Tonight is too important to make mistakes.

Down a dirt path past the house, leading down close to the bank, a fire pit is maintained by a pair of women, one with thick, long black hair, the other's short grey curls cut close to her scalp. Right now they're just watching the flames catch the fuel, sitting beside one another on a log. They're waiting, knowing that soon, People will arrive at the <<tur>>. The <<uratha>> return to this place, tonight. There is excitement, anticipation in the air. Those who could not leave the Forsaken City behind now answer the Elders' call to return, and set right that place once more.

OOC: Feel free to arrive separately, or together. You'll be checked at the periphery of <<Nikmekkar Ayhya>>'s den by a couple of scary-looking people, and since you all know the password, you'll be allowed through.

Translator's notes:

* Uth Affa - "Elder [contextually, Uncle] Sun"
* Nikmekkar Ayhya - Literally translated, "workplace-marshland"; specific regional meaning indicates a place where duty is fulfilled, by contract of service
* Meninna - literally "crowned-hunter", the First Tongue name for the Hunters in Darkness Tribe
* Uratha - "wolves of the sacred hunt", the name for the combined five Tribes of the Moon
* Uragarum - literally "den of the wolf", the First Tongue term for Wolf-blooded
* Elodoth - the half-moon auspice; detectives, judges, politicians
* tur - specifically-designated neutral ground, enforced by mutual pacts of peace and non-aggression between Uratha and spirits; usually only called for a set length of time, no longer than a few days

plaintiff fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Abraham Lucas

I arrive before the sun has fully set. I'm stopped at the entrance.

Don't lock eyes, that's a challenge. Don't avert your eyes, that's submission. We are a proud People. To be respected, you must have your pride. To be respectful, you must allow them to have theirs.

I approach the bonfire, aware of the many eyes upon me, and address the watchers in the First Tongue.

You cannot show fear. Fear is Weakness. For you, my guileless son, that means you cannot be afraid. Be certain of your purpose, if not your method. That certainty will be your bulwark, with it you can know even death without knowing fear.

"I am Abraham Lucas, first and only born of Sarah Lucas, called Bleeding Ocean. I am of the Uratha, given Luna's blessing on the Cahalith, and a scion of Urfarah. I have returned to my land and our duty."

Formality is a shield, boldness is a sword. Use both.

I reach into the bonfire, refusing to show the pain of the fire, and retrieve a handful of ash. I stain my face with it as warpaint.

"To the home of my ancestors, the home of my blood and spirit. Tomorrow, or in one hundred years, my flesh will nourish it, my bones rest in it. I shall reclaim what is mine, and I will set it right. What was lost will be regained and harmony will be restored. Any who doubt my words, any who would challenge them, come forth and speak so I might know my enemy."

Straight back, chin high

I stand tall, just like my mother taught me. I know I am painfully, obviously young. But I am also strong.

Because the GM dared me I am flaring Glory!

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 11, 2016

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

The young woman was already curious about Abraham, and now she sits up straight on the log, regarding him with one raised eyebrow. She's impressed, certainly.

The old woman is definitely intrigued. She stands up from her perch, and walks around, slowly, to get a view of Abraham in profile. Her own face is lean, leathery with age and care. An old wolf who, clearly, has not yet lost her teeth. "You certainly look like your mother," she says in English, her voice a soft, smoky alto. "She had herself a good looking baby, didn't she, Aurelie?" She chuckles grimly, lending the statement a hint of hollowness, as if pitched to say 'and that doesn't mean poo poo around here'.

Though easily a head shorter than Abraham, her carriage and posture indicate that she is one of the senior Uratha in this place, and commands respect. "You know what you're getting into, baby?" The next statement is spoken in the timeless, otherworldly First Tongue. <<I see no steel in your eyes, child. The enemies of the People are terrible in might. The Forsaken City devours the unprepared among the people. Come out with it, nusuthiki. What gives you the right to speak for the People, and their destiny?>>

The heart of Uratha culture, encapsulated: the challenge. The aspirant steps up, the opponent starts the contest. Then, one succeeds, and the People grow stronger.

* Nusuthiki - "no-blood-covered-face". One who has not been tested in a fight.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Abraham Lucas

Sweetie, you have a strong body, a sweet heart, and a silver tongue. But sometimes I think your brain is made of mush.

I study the old woman in front of me, stilling the flare of anger at her challenge. She isn't lying, many have been devoured, People of strength and experience, wisdom and cunning. Compared to them, who am I? I have no grand plan. No secret to survive after I throw myself into the void. Yet...

I switch to English. This isn't a performance, it's something from the heart, "You speak to me of rights and of might. Of the danger ahead. But I spoke to you of duty. A duty all the People share, from the grandest elder to the weakest pup. All who carry the duty may speak of their burden. This thing is no privilege. This is going to face something that drove out even the People. Something that killed my family. Knowing this, the duty stays the same. Knowing that I am untested, the duty stays the same. If the Forsaken City devours the unprepared, then the only answer is to become prepared, or be devoured. I will not turn away. Will you help me face my duty, elder? Will you prepare me for what lies ahead?

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

These wolf-women see the son of Winter Wolf, and hear his words. They were clearly expecting something else, something far less vindicating. "You'd go even if I said no, wouldn't you? You're the son of Sarah Jones, that's for sure, no doubting it any longer. Good to see she raised you up right. I'm Danielle, Samson Cheramie's wife. This is my grand-daughter, Aurelia." The younger one appears to be a full-grown woman in her own right. A testament to the extended Uratha lifespan, in living generations side-by-side. <<I am Elodoth, a Walker-Between, and my Mother's Child. She is uragarum, and spoken for.>> Mother's Child. So it's true, how the <<Meninna>> call themselves, the Mother's Children.

<<You are welcome company, son of the Steel-Shot Sky,>> Danielle says, in reference to one of Sarah's older monikers, famously tall and physically imposing. <<Come, and sit with us. You have earned a measure of respect amongst us in this tur.>>

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ollie Hark

Ollie hasn't slept. He's not sure what day it is. He can't remember who told him that something was going down out in that god-forsaken shitpile. He thought maybe, it was the slim guy on the bus, the dude picking his buck teeth with a knife. Three arm tats, and steel-toed boots. Maybe it was that old nurse in the ER, when Ollie started trying to claw his eyes out. Maybe it was the giant wolves he's pretty sure he didn't hallucinate. More likely, it was something from -there-. That place, where things' demons live.

He gave himself some me time. A few days of hard drinking, and then some. Still couldn't remember. Didn't matter. All he knew now was he was going to figure out what's happening. Just gotta keep cool.

-

A ride from a bud, two buses, and a long walk later, Ollie arrives. He knows sketch when he sees some. Fuckin' nasty hick swamp. Weird vibe, like there's something out there. He might be crazy, but gotta have faith in oneself. Best to do in Rome, and find out what folks are doing in this particular Rome. He knows he's supposed to say something when he gets there, but can't remember the words. Even if they won't kill him, he's gotta make sure he doesn't gently caress this up. Is there a secret handshake? Better to watch someone else first. He hunkers down with an energy drink and a cigarette near an embankment and tries to figure out where exactly he hosed up to get here.

Stealth Roll to shadow Lucas: 4d10o10h8 2 - Two successes, and at this point I'm questioning if a roll was even necessary/appropriate. Going with it! Assuming Ollie's just being a big ol' dork and Abe spots him.

A little while later, he sees a big guy walk past him. All posture and focus. poo poo. Ollie ducks down behind a shrub. As the man walks down the path, he winces and starts counting. Thirty seconds. Forty-five. One minute, two minutes. And as inconspicuously as possible, Ollie slouches out and trots up the path. He reaches the crest of a small mound, just in time to see the man being greeted by two women. They're gesturing him to sit. poo poo.

No turning back.

Ollie, barely able keep his poo poo together, shakily lurches down the muddy path. He comes to halt before the group, standing as straight as he can. He licks his lips, all nervous tension. "Yo."

Assuming the password is in fancy-wolfspeak so Ollie isn't 100% on saying that yet. I know fish-outta-water characters can be a bit disruptive to a narrative flow, so I plan to play Ollie as a quick learner, sucking up information like a desperate groupie in a new social clique. Let me know if there's anything that would make this character's integration to the story more convenient!

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 11, 2016

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Ollie's first step into an <<Uratha>> den is about as fraught with hidden danger as one could reasonably expect. But then, no one could have possibly warned him about just how quiet these big, huge wolves can be when they set about it. It's uncanny how this creature, as big as a pony or a lion, can trot right up behind Ollie. Its huge maw, filled with cruel, bruising teeth, latches onto his leg, and yanks him onto his chest, face-down in the mud.

A low growl, something no human ever wants to hear in person and not on Nat Geo, rumbles from the core of this impossible creature. An enormous paw reaches out to flip Ollie onto his back, and then tamps down onto his chest, leaving him wheezing to breathe, and unable to rise. The growls continue, rising in intensity with his every squirm of resistance, until the monster is sure that he has at last submitted. Its huge nose then bends down, carefully sniffing the young man, tasting the rank fear and sleep deprivation in his sweat and skin, looking for a deeper, more primal scent.

When at last the creature finds it, Aurelia already has her arms hooked under Ollie's shoulders, to help him rise as the <<Urshul>> relents in its search, its questions answered by the stink of the man at last. <<Blood of my blood, this one bears our marks,>> it tells Aurelia. <<Uragarum, and too confused to be enemy. Let the others feed and cleanse his body, comfort him. Let him rest, then give him answers.>> The creature pads away, sliding out of the gathered line of sight in a way that is both practiced and uncanny.

Aurelia, meanwhile, turns away from Abe and Danielle before letting go of Ollie. "Hey man, it's okay," she says. "They had to check you out, but you're fine, all right? You're here with good people, and we're gonna help you. You just gotta let us, okay?"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The guards hear Violet far before they see her.

“OH WHAT THE gently caress?! I WILL KICK YOUR GODDAMN TEETH OUT ALLIGATOR!!!”

For an Irakka, she is surprisingly un-stealthy. Thighs still burning from the rough off road biking, the mud spattered young woman pushes her equally mud spattered mountain bike over the soft ground. All her belongings are either in the backpack riding her shoulders or the small saddlebags and rear basket on the bike. It doesn't amount to much, but it tells of a wiry, tenacious strength that might not be obvious at first glance.

A glowing blue screen is held in a sheath on her left forearm, a screen that she is violently tapping at.

“LFC, so help me, your digital rear end better be getting me a better GPS lock or I'm gonna find someone to bind you into a thrift store cash register!”

Violet, apparently, is not a country girl.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 11, 2016

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Along the way, a pickup truck parks on the last stretch of tamped-down dirt road. Three twenty-something Latin men, and one Latin woman of about the same age, pile out of the cab. Their youth is evident, despite the wrinkles forming on their face from salty air and unimpeded sunlight. They appear to be a common find, so close to the port: migrant workers, making a living out here despite resentment and hostility from the locals.

They notice Violet, of course. It's hard not to spot the white lady pushing a mountain bike through the sticks at dusk. "Hey, you lost?" the woman calls out to the Irraka. "You don't look lost, but we're close to the Cheramie House, and-" She stops, bolted in place as her nose detects something. She sniffs at the air, looking in Violet's general direction. Then, she grins, her teeth looking entirely too long and sharp to belong to just any average joe human. A second of tasting the air proves it: they all reek of the scent of Uratha. Your People.

The woman opens her mouth, and forms words in the First Tongue. <<I smell a cousin! What up, baby? This is my pack, Imin Ayalu. we come from Pascagoula. We're Farsil Luhal, we've been tracking your GPS to make sure you didn't get blindsided by anyone. Come on, they know our smell up here. Meninna around here are batshit, but at least your welcome won't be as creepy with us tagging along.>>

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ollie Hark

poo poo poo poo oh poo poo. Thank god, thinks Ollie as he freezes up in the jaws of the monster, that he pissed before he walked down. This thing again! Oh god - the thing takes a big wiff of Ollie - its tame!? How the gently caress do you tame a giant wolf! Are there even native wolves in Louisiana!? No, gently caress this, no wolves are that big. That's no wolf.

quote:

"Hey man, it's okay," she says. "They had to check you out, but you're fine, all right? You're here with good people, and we're gonna help you. You just gotta let us, okay?"

Then he's on his feet, nodding to Aurelia, hands shaking like a junkie. Ollie digs in his jeans, pulls out a crumpled pack of Spirits, and begins to puff like a chimney. "Y-yeah, could use some help. Just gonna sit down now." Plopping on a stump, Ollie cradles his head in hands for a moment. Then he reopens his pack and offers Aurelia his last smoke, avoiding her eyes. "T-thanks.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

tokenbrownguy posted:

Ollie Hark
Then he's on his feet, nodding to Aurelia, hands shaking like a junkie. Ollie digs in his jeans, pulls out a crumpled pack of Spirits, and begins to puff like a chimney. "Y-yeah, could use some help. Just gonna sit down now." Plopping on a stump, Ollie cradles his head in hands for a moment. Then he reopens his pack and offers Aurelia his last smoke, avoiding her eyes. "T-thanks.

"American Spirits, black," Aurelia says, then shrugs as she digs out a lighter to sit beside him. "These are a treat, but I couldn't smoke 'em all the time. My lungs would be black as coal." Even so, she lights up, leans back, and takes a drag. "I'm gonna guess this business don't exactly run in the family with you...?" She's expecting a name.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Levi Noatak
and Leon Clayburn

"Where's the drat turn-off?" Levi asked, peering through the trees as he drove his ancient Ford pickup truck along the old dirt road.

"Bout a half-mile up still," Leon said from the passenger seat. "You sure about this, Alaska? I mean, you've told every pack chasing your tail to take a hike fer... poo poo, I can't even remember how long."

"Seven years, give or take," Levi said thoughtfully. He didn't share his friend's strong local accent. "This is different. Not some big established pack, just looking for fresh meat to bring up numbers. It's a new pack, with a purpose I agree with. Setting things right in New Orleans."

"I do miss N'awlins." Leon said, tilting his ancient straw cowboy hat up a bit. "Still can't believe all this spirit poo poo kept us from going back fer so long."

"Me neither. Ah, there it is."

There was already a truck and a few other vehicles parked, and they ditched the Ford there and started walking.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ollie Hark

quote:

"I'm gonna guess this business don't exactly run in the family with you...?" She's expecting a name.

Ollie takes a drag, staring blankly out at the marsh. Takes him a moment to register the question. "Oh uh, nah. Name's Ollie."

Then he looks the woman in the eye for the first time. He extends his hand. "Thanks for uh, telling your wolf to not kill..."

He remembers! But when he opens his mouth, it's not English. <<Nisik-Gislak>> Ollie claps his hands to his mouth in surprise. The cherry from his cig burns his cheek, but he doesn't notice. He looks in panic at Aurelia, eyes wide.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Aurelia smirks. "My wolf? Ollie, that's my-"

tokenbrownguy posted:

Ollie Hark
He remembers! But when he opens his mouth, it's not English. <<Nisik-Gislak>> Ollie claps his hands to his mouth in surprise. The cherry from his cig burns his cheek, but he doesn't notice. He looks in panic at Aurelia, eyes wide.

The smirk widens, but then he burns his own face with the cherry of his cigarette. "Yep, you got the blood bone-deep, now watch what you do with your hands. So, you got the First Tongue. Can't say I've met a wolf-blood with a gift like that since my great-grandma. Chill your rear end out, cousin, you're all right." She looks up, taking a drag from her cigarette as Levi pulls into the path and turns off his headlights. "Oh, looks like we got more folks. They may not be as new as you, but you might wanna stick by 'em. If you want answers, you're gonna get 'em in spades."

Once Levi and Leon are checked out, they're offered a spot at the firepit, as well. Introductions all around between Aurelia, Danielle, and the other newcomers out here!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Violet watches warily until the scents hit her, if she needed any further confirmation, the First Tongue gave it.

<<I can't imagine a swamp wolf being anything other than creepy!>>, she responds, a smile stretching her own face.

“So there really is a gathering happening? I've been following a dream for the last few months, rode down from Chicago, Violet Carawell. Always happy to meet new tribemates, you guys have a twitter?”

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Soonmot posted:

Violet watches warily until the scents hit her, if she needed any further confirmation, the First Tongue gave it.

<<I can't imagine a swamp wolf being anything other than creepy!>>, she responds, a smile stretching her own face.

“So there really is a gathering happening? I've been following a dream for the last few months, rode down from Chicago, Violet Carawell. Always happy to meet new tribemates, you guys have a twitter?”

"We're the Oleastro siblings," the woman says, clapping Violet on the back and offering her a spliff after putting one between her lips and lighting it herself. "I'm Reyes, these three are Odalis, Loreto, and Rosario. Look, here, lemme give you my handle and poo poo, it's written down. You're in the know, so you'll know what to look for." She listens to Violet's story with interest. "Following dreams, eh? Yeah, the Cheramies called a <<tur>> out here." She switches to the unearthly tones of First Tongue to properly articulate the next words. <<The depredations of the shartha based in New Orleans have begun to reach the coastal packs. Some kinda warlord Rat-King's been stirring up the beshilu. I'm thinking it's a now or never kinda situation. Anyway, that's the house up ahead, see it?>>

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Levi Noatak

Levi crossed his arms and fixed the four-legged guardian with a friendly but firm stare as he was sniffed and snuffled. He resisted the urge to ruffle the big fuzzy ears, not wanting to insult his hosts. The wolf paused at the scent coming from his backpack. "A gift," Levi explained.

Leon held his hands up during his examination like he was being frisked by the police. "Don't worry officer we got the password," he said. "Er, what was it again?"

<<Nisik-Gislak>> Levi said, shaking his head.

---

At the clearing, Levi introduced himself to Danielle, while Leon plopped down next to Ollie. "Hey little bro, don't look so nervous!" the older wolf-blood said. He opened his backpack and pulled out two long steel forks, and a white paper wrap that turned out to be full of weenies. Spitting a few on each and gesturing to the fire, he offered one to Ollie. "Relax and have a sausage."

"Plenty to go around," Levi added. "Venison, slaughtered her myself just before we left Texas." He set his bag down and the forks out for anyone who wanted them then sat down in front of the fire himself. He wasn't hungry right now, too excited.

"I've been waiting for something like this for a long time," he said, turning his head left and right to meet each person's eyes. "A mission worth following. I'm very proud to be here, to meet all of you." He tapped a fist over his heart. "Thank you all for coming, and believing in the same dream."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"Thanks, " she nods and takes a hit, holding the smoke down with closed eyes.

Turning her head up to the darkening sky, the irakka lets the smoke out in a strong, steady stream.

"All from the same family? drat, that's gotta be nice. My mother was a rahu, she died during Katrina, but I was an only child."

She follows Reye's gaze and nods, "Yeah, that looks exactly like I thought it should."

There's a pause before Violet continues in a soft voice, almost to herself, "Guess I'm going home."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Abraham Lucas

Abraham smiles stifly at the women's acknowledgment. If anything, the drop in formality makes him more uncomfortable. He's momentarily glad for Ollie's distractionon, but he frowns at the Wolf-blooded from across the fire. Surely he only wandered in, drawn by some primal need to be with the People. Surely, he does not intend to join the pack? Even if he was given the support role traditional of Wolf Blooded, this may be the most dangerous duty a pack has ever faced. But... Yes. Yes he will join, and must. He will be key in the times ahead. Abraham catches himself by surprise at the sudden certainty of that, he can rarely understand the mad dreams that came with Luna's gift. He stands to come over to the Wolf-blooded, but he's interrupted by the new arrival.

mistaya posted:

Levi Noatak

"I've been waiting for something like this for a long time," he said, turning his head left and right to meet each person's eyes. "A mission worth following. I'm very proud to be here, to meet all of you." He tapped a fist over his heart. "Thank you all for coming, and believing in the same dream."

"As am I!" Abraham replies to the older man. More casual than his own greeting, but maybe his own greeting went overboard. This was a man of age, strength, and experience. The kind of man they would need in the times ahead, "I'm Abraham Lucas, my friends call me Ham, and since we will be packmates, we'll be much closer than friends." He takes some meat, chows down, and finds himself in a much lighter mood now that the pack to be is more than him and a whacked out wolf-blood on a suicide mission.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 12, 2016

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ollie Hark

Flicking the cigarette away, Ollie nods silently to the woman. Get a grip on yourself. Even this chick knows you're tripping.

When the big guy offers, Ollie takes the sausage, staring like its a live snake. Some initiation poo poo. Probably three different homeless people in this brat. gently caress. He begins to roast it over the fire, willing it to cook as slowly as possible.

Focus. Sherlock poo poo. Gotta get, or get got. Learn everything. They call themselves wolf-bloods. I'm weird even by their standards. They have giant wolf-monsters as pets. You're not crazy.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 12, 2016

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ollie

After a pause, Ollie leans over to the hick who offered him a hobo-dog. "So uh-" he coughs nervously, staring intently at the fire "-what's uh your name sir?"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Levi Noatak

"I'm Leon Clayburn!" Leon said, thumping Ollie on the back. He leaned in conspiratorially. "You and me are on the edge of this thing, you know? Not all the way in it. But that's enough that we can't get back out of it neither. If you got questions, ask 'em. We've all been there, no shame in it. Ollie, right?"

---

Levi grinned at Ham. He was always glad to see young people stepping up. Though he was a little nervous that he seemed to be the oldest wolf there. (Danielle was only hosting, as far as he knew, and not going to join the new pack.) He'd never been in the middle of a real pack before, always on the fringes, and never for very long. Not that he was a lone wolf- Leon saw to that- but the idea that he might have to lead others hadn't occurred to him before now. It felt natural, in a way, but also frightening.

"If we're to be closer than friends, we should learn a little about each other," he said. "It'll help us find the right spirit to link us to our purpose."

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ollie Hark

Ollie scoots closer to Clayburn. "Okay uh, what exactly are those giant-" he coughs, lowering his voice and looking around "-things. Fuckin' megawolf."

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Soonmot posted:

"Thanks, " she nods and takes a hit, holding the smoke down with closed eyes.

Turning her head up to the darkening sky, the irakka lets the smoke out in a strong, steady stream.

"All from the same family? drat, that's gotta be nice. My mother was a rahu, she died during Katrina, but I was an only child."

She follows Reye's gaze and nods, "Yeah, that looks exactly like I thought it should."

There's a pause before Violet continues in a soft voice, almost to herself, "Guess I'm going home."

The password is given by Reyes, and a curt nod of acknowledgment follows from the scary-looking older dude standing watch near the path up to the house.

Reyes tells Violet, "poo poo, yeah, the entire Gulf got hit hard. Loreto and Rosario are technically my cousins. Our families suffered loss, too. But Odalis is my sister. Well, brother right now. She doesn't like being tied down, ya see." Is she referring to the sexual metamorphosis some <<Uratha>> may learn to undergo?

But then, they're all at the fire. Reyes introduces herself and the other Oleastros, and then says, "This is my tribe-mate, Violet Carawell. Be good to her, Red Wolf's got his eye on this one, I bet you." With that, she heads for a log with her pack, and starts rolling them all some cigarettes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
By the time they get to the fire, Violet feels invigorated. The dreams were real, she knew they were different from normal dreams, but to have confirmation that something this big was really happening and it wasn't just homesickness felt good.

"Hey all, glad to be here," she's still filthy from her trek through the swamp, but her smile is bright and wide. "I've been away from the City since I was girl, before my first change. I'm... I'm looking forward to going back."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Abraham Lucas

"Hey!" Abraham just stares at the new arrival's bicycle and muddy clothes in confusion, "you, ah, you didn't just run here? I'm Abraham Lucas, you can call me Ham. I left young too."

Mechanics thing: since I mentioned I had a dream about Ollie I might as well use my auspice power. So Ollie gets a +2 bonus to one roll that's important for the future of the pack. (if I'm reading the power right).

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Levi and Leon

tokenbrownguy posted:

Ollie scoots closer to Clayburn. "Okay uh, what exactly are those giant-" he coughs, lowering his voice and looking around "-things. Fuckin' megawolf."

Leon snorted into his hand. "Well, my friend, this may come as a surprise, but you see, they actually ARE big fuckin' megawolves. Werewolves got their own names for everything under the goddamn moon. That un's called <<Urshal>>." He made the finger quotes. It sounded off, the way he said it, but Leon's First Tongue (the ten or so words he knew) was downright terrible. "That's how my friend caught the deer we made these sausages outta. But that ain't even the half of it. Them wolves can talk, and understand you too, so don't go treating them like dumb animals. They're a lot of things, but they ain't that."

---

"Red Wolf has his eyes on all the pretty ladies," Levi said with a wide smile when Violet arrived with the others. "But it's the spirits, not the people, who will be the real threat in the days ahead. Death Wolf watches over us, make no mistake. Or at least, over me." He leaned back. <<Long time no see.>> he added, nodding to Reyes.

Levi spent some time with nearby Iron Master tribes before being more... forcefully... recruited into the Bone Shadows.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ollie Hark (Shaken)

Ollie looks at Leon blankly for a while. Unfocused, he asks, "Say, you got a smoke or a chew or something?"

Before Leon can respond, he lets out a big sigh. Running his hands through his crew cut. "<<Urshal>> And one what, bit us? And now we're werewolves?"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Violet

"No, I biked," she replies to Ham, "from Chicago. I got my old girl in the Reyes' pickup back a way, they found me before I had to fight any alligators or poo poo."

She quiets as Leon talks, then, "Oh poo poo! Venison sausage, toss me one of them bad boys."

Ready to eat, she plops down near Ham and Levi, curiously watching Ollie with very intent, green eyes.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

mistaya posted:

Levi and Leon
He leaned back. <<Long time no see.>> he added, nodding to Reyes.

Reyes grins back at Levi. <<I told you we'd meet you again beneath a blood-soaked moon,>> she replies in First Tongue, referring to one of the many ancient High Dudgeon sayings of that language. Her grin disappears after that. <<If the rumors are true, cousin, then you shall wade ankle-deep in blood all the way home. Be ready.>>

Meanwhile, Odalis breaks out some hot dog buns, and a jar of kimchi, offering the gathered some variety (and roughage) to go along with the venison brats. It may not nourish the <<Uratha>> soul, but there's nothing quite like a crabby, constipated werewolf to bring down the party.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Ollie Hark (Shaken)

Ollie looks at Leon blankly for a while. Unfocused, he asks, "Say, you got a smoke or a chew or something?"

Before Leon can respond, he lets out a big sigh. Running his hands through his crew cut. "<<Urshal>> And one what, bit us? And now we're werewolves?"

Reyes hands over a rolled cigarette to the <<uragarum>>. No filter included, and packed neatly. "Your pronunciation is spot-on, I gotta say," she tells him, wryly. "Mostly? This runs in family bloodlines. When normal people see us in a form like what you saw, they usually forget. Sometimes, though, when they see it, they can't un-see it. They change part-way to accomodate it. It ain't completely accurate to say, but... if we're obviously full-blown lycanthropes or whatever, you're like, a carrier. It only manifests in one, maybe two ways. In your case, it's speaking our First Tongue like you were born knowing it. Of course, sometimes the moon just chooses someone, 'cause the moon likes 'em. There ain't an explanation for everything, and that's just something you gotta swallow, my friend."

(consider Ollie's Aspiration "Find out what the hell I am" resolved for one beat! Find another short-term Aspiration, please, and list it in your next pose, tokenbrownguy)

It's at this point that an old, grey-bearded man takes a seat around the fire. The <<Imin-Ayalu>> Iron Master pack takes one look at him, and recognition dawns on their faces. It's clear that this fellow has earned more than just the respect due his long years: his bearing indicates a level of Renown that towers over most everyone else here. He's quite old, that much is certain, but his eyes retain a canny awareness of his surroundings, and the physique beneath heavy clothing and leathery skin is wiry and corded.

"Pass me one of them brats, little brother," the old <<Uratha>> asks Levi. "I am <<Silver-Father>>, <<Meninna>>, <<Elodoth>>. I'm here to go home with you." He gives the gathered each a moment of consideration, his eyes containing enough steel and experience-honed fury to cloud any troubles beneath his face. "The time has come," he continues. "I shall hunt with you, and pass on to you my knowledge, before I lose my fangs and may hunt no more. Listen to me now, and if you are still resolved after this, we shall embark upon <<Zakmur-Dah>>."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Abraham Lucas [Steadfast, Inspired (kick rear end)]

Time for a montage! - Speech backed by music and interlaced with scenes:

"Let's not forget the tale of Bleeding Pelt. He was a Stormlord, as I am. He showed no weakness. When the pure marched on his territory, he did not call for aid to the surrounding packs. That would show weakness. He did not gather his spirit allies. That would show weakness. He did not prepare his territory, did not ready the weapons he would need to fight them off. That would show weakness. When his enemies came, and his pack fell one by one, he did not rethink his strategy, did not retreat. That would show weakness. As he fell, bloody, to the earth, he showed no weakness. As his packmates, his wolf-blooded, his territory, were destroyed and desecrated he showed no weakness. Only drew his last breath, and was still. The truth is he showed the weakness of arrogance and of bullheadedness. And he allowed his enemies to tend to it. Let us not be like Bleeding Pelt. Our allies have asked us to stand and fight with them, and later they will fight with us. Out battle now is just a shadow of the battles to come. We will need the aid of all then. So let us now call on our fellow wolves, on the spirits, on the territory itself to aid us. This is not weakness, this is our strength."

@Abraham: 8d10!>10>=8 = (7 5 5 7 9 6 10 8 7, 3 successes) = 3 - Song in the Heart

Your new inspiration is the story with the lesson: Gathering allies and preparing for a battle is Strength, not Weakness.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ollie

Just a few days later...

On the porch of the swamp-manor, Ollie leans against the cracked bannister. He takes a swig of beer. Turning to [anyone who cares to pontificate/King of the Hill it up], he asks: "So what's the deal with the folks coming down to get all in our biz? The uh-" he concentrates, "-<<b-belthisu>>, or whatever. The hosts."

"I know we roughed up that gator, but are we really gonna throw down?"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Violet

In the midst of a deep cleaning of her bike, just off to the side of the porch, Violet looks up to Ollie, "It's what we do basically. The rat hosts are crazy. All they want to do is tear down the gauntlet and bring the spirit world pouring into the flesh world. The spider hosts are just as bad though, they want to build up the gauntlet so nothing can ever cross over."

She holds her immaculately clean and shining gear chain up the sun and scours it with a critical eye before re-threading it and rummaging for her oil.

"You know, Ollie, I've been meaning to head back into the Shadow to try and round up some spirit allies for us. Sort of an early warning system, spies, things like that. I kind of mentored under another uratha in my Chicago pack doing that."

There's a pause, "That was with people though," she continues quietly.

"What do think? Game?"

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ollie

Time to ball up son. No running away from this now.

Ollie pounds the beer and crushes the can. "Yeah, I'm down. Tell me when you're ready to head out." He starts back inside. "I'll start cleaning my gun."

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ollie

...Ollie and Violet march toward the locus. There's a lot on Ollie's mind. He's survived initiation with a murder cult. He visited a place he never knew existed. He met his evil twin. He shot a gun in anger.

poo poo. A lot firsts. A lot of strange things. But, he hopes, a lot of things he'll get to know before getting too deep to bail. These Wolf-bloods seem to have some control over their <<Uratha>>. They send them to fight. Hunt. Research. Forge. Even made sure they protected him, the new guy on patrol. Ollie wants to know how he can stay, if not on top, alive.

So he turns to Violet, struggling in the muck.. "So, uh. These-" Ollie throws up air-quotes his work-gloves barely convey, "-spirits. What's the best way to get them to be friendly? Shouldn't we be beating down them all as Totems?"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Violet

"I mean, that all depends on the type of spirit and sometimes it's not all that obvious. Everything has things that they really like and things that they really hate, or can't do. Learning that and exploiting it is the key here."

She narrows her eyes as something darts into the underbrush, "Also, this poo poo is so out of my wheelhouse that it's crazy. You just learned the total extent of my spirit knowledge, dude. I'm an Iron Master, we focus on humanity and keeping them from loving things up too hard. I was trained to spot corruption and rally a community to take action to fix that corruption. I'm really hoping my negotiating skills help here. Plus, you got some tricks up your sleeves, so we got that going for us."

Violet kicks a branch out of her path, "I really am a city girl. If there were people here, things would be way easier, but I guess it's good to learn new things, right?"

Soon, they arrive to the tree that serves as the access point to the Shadow, "Okay, thanks to Levi's statues, we are pretty bro'd up with the raccoon spirits. I think we should start there and try to get them to keep an eye on things for us, maybe steal things from our enemies, stuff like that. What do you think?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ollie

As they walk, Ollie studies Violet. Young. Hip. Jacked as hell. 12-foot Murderbeast in disguise. Probably the most relatable of the pack, but that just makes her beating down on a spirit-gator that much weirder. Can he trust her?

When she describes the Iron Masters, Ollie scrunches up his face in surprise. A fuckin' werewolf illuminati. No poo poo. "You're serious-" he asks Violet, "-<<Uratha>> gently caress with humans too?" Setting down a bag containing, among other things, jerky, a broken Bop-it, and a ball-and-cup, he stares at the cedar. "Just how many of you are out there?"

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 19, 2016

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Violet

Hands on her hips, Violet stares at the tree before rummaging through her backpack and slowly pulling out the three foot heavy chain and padlock that serves as both a bike lock and a weapon.

"I'unno, a bunch of us. But yeah, we hunt humans. We hunt, Ollie. It's what we do. We maintain the balance in all things. My tribe hunts humans, but others hunt the hosts, some hunt spirits, some even hunt other werewolves."

Only now does Violet see the slow look of horror drawing itself across the wolfblood's face, "Oh, poo poo, dude! No, not like that. I mean, yeah, some of the Iron Master, especially <<irakka>> like me are straight up serial killers."

This is obviously not making things better.

"Ummm, like... I don't have to kill dudes. I kind of actually feel like I'm failing if I do straight up maul some fucker. I'm trying to affect societal change, you know? Like, if I want to deal with a drug problem on my block, do I just kill a bunch of dealers like the goddamn Punisher? What the gently caress does that solve? I could kill their suppliers, but that can just lead to chaos. But what if I managed to talk some folk into starting a neighborhood watch program? What if I was able to hook them up with some actual goodguy cops? I'll still be around to kick some asses, because asses always need to be kicked, but in order to affect real change, you have to organize. Because even chasing the dealers out still leaves addicts on the streets, but maybe you work with some churches to get a rehab program going, maybe you grease some palms downtown and get a free clinic built on some vacant lot.

"Basically, my hunts don't have to be bloody. Plus, this doesn't even touch on the spiritual manifestations of the corruption and the problems that grow up around it."

Then she smiles. It's large and uncomfortable and hopefully not scary.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

It's about at this point where a crane, larger than life, appears (apparates?) in Ollie and Violet's field of vision. <<Fear not death,>> it says without speaking. <<My beautiful children, as long as you serve the cause of purity and righteousness, you cannot truly die. My blessings shall carry you through the deepest darkness, the thickest filth, the crushing depth. You are my children. No human shall die, but that no other path remains. Be at peace, Ollie, my son, my flower. Let your sister guide you.>>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ollie Hark

Ollie does what comes naturally. "Yeah, uh. Whooping Crane-" he looks at Violet, "-I wanna do right by everyone. I'll help Violet stop the things."

His posture sags a bit, and he lets out a big sigh. "Peace. Yeah. Thanks for the opportunity." He puts on his best interview-face and smiles. "Le'ts get down to business, eh?" He looks at this... Iron Master. Sister.

"How can I help?"

• Locked thread