Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

apokaladle posted:

I'm going to sign up with my local chapter of the IWW on Sunday. I'm also attending other community meetings in the upcoming weeks. It's certainly possible to stop at catharsis, and it's up to me to maintain the discipline not to do so.

:yeah: that's great man I'm glad to here it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Pajser posted:

im sorry i feel that the examples of the Arab Spring and the Syrian Revolution are not desirable outcomes for me and those close to me.

How is this relevant at all? Peaceful protesting is a bad thing?

Also lol both those examples became what they became is because the governments killed everybody who opposed them.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Guys I appreciate the debate about the futility/importance of protests but I'd like this to be a thread that provides resources to go to protests so if you feel like you're getting into a multi-page argument please consider taking into our fine uspol thread.

This isn't a get-out just a request to be mindful of the content you're contributing. Speaking of which, I'm heading out to the Philly protest by city hall right now, so if anyone sees a guy with a red beard and a bulky leather coat that may be me. Or not, that's kind of a vague description.

Good luck to all protesters tonight, try not to get your head kicked in unless you think it's for a really good cause!

The Kingfish posted:

:yeah: that's great man I'm glad to here it!

Posts like this are great however, so don't shy from arguing if you feel you are being constructive!

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 12, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem with this is that it implies that "regular lovely Republican" poo poo like re-banning gay marriage, building a border wall, cracking down on immigration, more voter ID laws, outright transphobia, and appointing three solidly conservative Supreme Court justices are all things that are okay and that you are perfectly fine with.

I think that stuff is absolutely important as well. But is less directly prevented via protest. different solutions for different problems.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

How is this relevant at all? Peaceful protesting is a bad thing?

Also lol both those examples became what they became is because the governments killed everybody who opposed them.

yes because those governments are filled with psychopaths who were just itching for an excuse. now that an orange manchild has the reigns of the most influential, powerful and possibly the most repressive government on the planet, i should probably think twice about being a smart rear end, because i know i will just lose the little i have and not get it back ever.

and rioting is not peaceful

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

Guys I appreciate the debate about the futility/importance of protests but I'd like this to be a thread that provides resources to go to protests so if you feel like you're getting into a multi-page argument please consider taking into our fine uspol thread.

This isn't a get-out just a request to be mindful of the content you're contributing. Speaking of which, I'm heading out to the Philly protest by city hall right now, so if anyone sees a guy with a red beard and a bulky leather coat that may be me. Or not, that's kind of a vague description.

Good luck to all protesters tonight, try not to get your head kicked in unless you think it's for a really good cause!

Posts like this are great however, so don't shy from arguing if you feel you are being constructive!

right okay sorry. sincerely
it looked like i was trolling

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pajser posted:

yes because those governments are filled with psychopaths who were just itching for an excuse. now that an orange manchild has the reigns of the most influential, powerful and possibly the most repressive government on the planet, i should probably think twice about being a smart rear end, because i know i will just lose the little i have and not get it back ever.

and rioting is not peaceful

Except nobody is saying go riot.

Also the day you should be afraid of a president so much that you don't protest is the day American freedom as a CONCEPT is dead and and buried.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Things start with peaceful protests. It's a sign that a large number of people are unhappy and don't feel like they're being listened to. If their voices are going unheard they raise them; protests are shouting. If you start listening protests die down. If you attack protesters they shut up briefly but always come back before long.

A peaceful protest is also a threat of violence. Disenfranchised people that the system is not listening to or benefiting enough are only going to become louder and more unruly. A few broken windows or a smashed up store front are the political equivalent of grabbing somebody by the collar, spinning them around, and yelling in their face.

We all know that rioting is a bad thing. Few people actually want rioting, violent civil unrest, uprisings, or civil war. However, if you ignore peaceful protests and peaceful resistance long enough that sort of thing becomes guaranteed.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Except nobody is saying go riot.

Also the day you should be afraid of a president so much that you don't protest is the day American freedom as a CONCEPT is dead and and buried.

there is still a robust political process, which anyone can participate (and he proved that) and its completely irresponsible to try to subvert it just because you don't like one(1) election result.

what im trying to say, that being needlessly dismissive is just going to give you an image of being unproductive or even criminal.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Long-time Atlanta community organizer here. Protest, always, constantly IMO. And also hook up with organizations that are committed to the protection of minority rights, especially grassroots organizations, early and often.

I've been doing leftist activism for most of my adult life. It has been oftentimes difficult. It can be awkward. It has also been good. You meet some very kind and very brave people. Pressuring the state and institutional forces with your voice, your body, your money, and a willingness to commit to civil disobedience has absolutely resulted in concrete gains on every level of government, everywhere. US politics have always been a shitshow, and people are clearly in for a load of suffering. And few gains in civil and human rights have ever been won by asking nicely. If you have the resources, the time, and the courage, I would strongly encourage you to commit to taking action, both in the short term while the iron is hot and in the long term as well.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pajser posted:

there is still a robust political process, which anyone can participate (and he proved that) and its completely irresponsible to try to subvert it just because you don't like one(1) election result.

what im trying to say, that being needlessly dismissive is just going to give you an image of being unproductive or even criminal.

Must be nice not being directly threatened and in immediate danger like millions of Americans are. That's nice that you have that luxury.

Except for lots of people they are now faced with a president, senate and congress that's going to work very hard to make their lives a nightmare for years to come.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Pajser posted:

Protesting, activism, and generally making the will of (a portion of) the population known is an integral part of that political system, and doing those things constitutes participation. I guarantee you nobody worth considering is protesting and then immediately deciding "well I protested time to never do anything else including vote."

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Must be nice not being directly threatened and in immediate danger like millions of Americans are. That's nice that you have that luxury.

Except for lots of people they are now faced with a president, senate and congress that's going to work very hard to make their lives a nightmare for years to come.

which has happened twice now in twenty years.

what do you want me to do? you think ill get some appreciation if become another "woke" white guy who is dumb enough to get imprisoned?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pajser posted:

what do you want me to do? you think ill get some appreciation if become another "woke" white guy who is dumb enough to get imprisoned?

Nobody's asking you to do anything, stay at home, scratch your balls, whatever.

Also the whole point of doing the right thing and protecting other people isnt appreciation, it's doing it because you believe in the human rights of others. Appreciation isn't the point.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Pajser posted:

lmao

protesting is not about brownie point you dolt

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

botany posted:

lmao

protesting is not about brownie point you dolt

Al-Saqr posted:

Nobody's asking you to do anything, stay at home, scratch your balls, whatever.

Also the whole point of doing the right thing and protecting other people isnt appreciation, it's doing it because you believe in the human rights of others. Appreciation isn't the point.

quite honestly and you can tell me im an idiot, but i don't see any other outcome for these protests other than being subverted and ending up being a massive scam as soon as it reaches momentum.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

spacetoaster posted:

Where you getting that from? The only thing I could find was this statement from almost 20 years ago: "Resources should be directed toward those institutions which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior."

It seems like you're full of poo poo and hyperbole.

Hey, I know this is the protest thread but I gotta defend my e-honor. Phone posting so no links but you pretty easily Google "Mike Pence gay rights" and find what I'm talking about.

So that statement was made 20 years ago, sure, but Pence has never said anything since to repudiate it. Indeed, even after he was accused of supporting gay conversion therapy (which is basically psychological torture and illegal in five states) on the basis of that statement, he never claimed otherwise. Dude knows who butters his bread and sure enough, evangelicals voted for Trump/Pence in droves.

In addition, Pence has:

-signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which made it legal to refuse services to someone based on their sexual orientation.

-has already declared that he and Trump will remove the executive order banning bathroom discrimination against transgender students.

-stated in a speech that gay marriage would lead to "societal collapse", that homosexuality is a choice, and discrimination against LGBT individuals is following God's will.

So yeah, it's very mildly hyperbolic that he wants to put gays in camps. Not by much though!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Where do I go to get my payout from George Soros? I protested but nothing's shown up in my bank account :confused:

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

Kings taste terrible at best
and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*
Just came back from a protest/march in Metro Detroit. I didn't have any plans tonight, I was just pissed off and wanted to do something and saw on Facebook it was going to start in 20 minutes 20 minutes away from me.

To me it's not about contesting the results of the election, it's about adding my body to a popular movement to resist the Trump/Republican agenda. To the people I saw and spoke to there it was more personal than ideological. There were a lot of LGBT people, and people of color, and Muslims who were genuinely fearful for what the election meant for them and theirs.

It was my first time going to a protest. I wish I knew better how to make a change. I know I'm going to keep going every chance I get and networking and learning better how to organize. Building a popular movement is the only chance we have now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Pajser posted:

quite honestly and you can tell me im an idiot, but i don't see any other outcome for these protests other than being subverted and ending up being a massive scam as soon as it reaches momentum.

wow thanks for your contribution, guess everyone should just give up, go home, and never try to accomplish anything because there's a possibility it might not be perfectly effective.

Pajser posted:

quite honestly and you can tell me im an idiot

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Very important: If you ever find yourself in front of a camera make sure that you're utterly unable to communicate your position beyond a few sophomoric slogans. Should you be pressed by a journalist for details say something vague about the patriarchy and power structures.

Some tips:

- The words "um" "like" "kinda" "y'know" are very powerful persuasive words. USE THEM!

- The average American is very well versed in university third wave intersectionalist feminism. Phrases like cisheteronormative are an excellent shortcut to get your point across for a quick sound bite.

- Obscenity on signs. If you want a national audience to see your slogan include gently caress it in it.

- PIERCINGS PIERCINGS PIERCINGS!!!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Very important: If you ever find yourself in front of a camera make sure that you're utterly unable to communicate your position beyond a few sophomoric slogans. Should you be pressed by a journalist for details say something vague about the patriarchy and power structures.

Some tips:

- The words "um" "like" "kinda" "y'know" are very powerful persuasive words. USE THEM!

- The average American is very well versed in university third wave intersectionalist feminism. Phrases like cisheteronormative are an excellent shortcut to get your point across for a quick sound bite.

- Obscenity on signs. If you want a national audience to see your slogan include gently caress it in it.

- PIERCINGS PIERCINGS PIERCINGS!!!

poo poo, I got interviewed and followed none of these tips. Well RIP my all-too-brief protesting career

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.kgw.com/news/kgw-breaking-live-video-2/5661278

I like the camera guy here only really caring about the production aspects of the news and not the tear gas and concussion things.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
gently caress the naysayers is this thread.

Yah we get that you're too cool for school. Go start a thread promoting nihilistic contrarianism if it is so important for you to waste words on it.

The rest of us in the real world might remember that even law and order conservatives could protest, network, form "The Tea Party", give the establishment one hell of a scare, and steam roll the Obama administration through obstructionism.

Go to the protests. Even if the only message is "gently caress Trump" and it has no hope of undoing the election. Get educated on all the issues. Network. Find like minded groups with concrete goals and competent leadership.

It can work. 40 hour work weeks, votes for women, and the end of Jim Crow all came about from organizing and protesting.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Powershift posted:

http://www.kgw.com/news/kgw-breaking-live-video-2/5661278

I like the camera guy here only really caring about the production aspects of the news and not the tear gas and concussion things.

Just watched him shouldercheck some dipshit out of the way of the camera who was shouting into the mic dropping f bombs everywhere.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Protesting is cool and good and the quality of the people telling you it's bad should tell you something. It shows people that other people are angry and that it's OK to be angry. I saw a clip of of some guy who was most likely just a doofy middle-class office worker like me waving a sign around and shouting and it just so God drat encouraging. The more "normal" people you get out in the streets protesting peacefully but loudly the less this terrible presidency gets normalized.

SlothSpot
Feb 14, 2012

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Protesting is cool and good and the quality of the people telling you it's bad should tell you something. It shows people that other people are angry and that it's OK to be angry. I saw a clip of of some guy who was most likely just a doofy middle-class office worker like me waving a sign around and shouting and it just so God drat encouraging. The more "normal" people you get out in the streets protesting peacefully but loudly the less this terrible presidency gets normalized.
Or maybe it shows that there's incredible fear mongering going on and people are so petulant that they immediately protest a democratically elected President. Do you not understand how that kind of protesting drives people away and doesn't help your cause? At least wait until the guy does something, anything. The reaction to Trump's victory has been absolutely pathetic.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The guys complaining that protesting is bad are exactly the kind of people who wrote notecards to Martin Luther king admonishing him for the protests he lead and self righteously telling him that he was driving people away from his cause and calling him an inciter to violence, telling him that if he was a REAL civil liberties fighter he'd stop protesting.

Pro tip:- those guys were just pretend liberals who hated blacks but were too cowardly to say to outright say it so they looked for excuses to not support MLK any way they can.

Also there's plenty of reasons to fear someone who's directly threatening the lives of millions of people.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Why bother having a campaign if they don't tell you anything about how a candidate is going to govern? We know what Trump said. We know what he promised to do. Let's call that poo poo out before it happens.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Please just ignore the posters who question the usefulness or who are dismissive of protesting. The thread is about protesting so let's focus on strategies and ways to organize and work in solidarity. One component I'm going to suggest that our community is pursuing is to demand that your local city declare itself a sanctuary city. It's a good first step I think, presents a clear demand that can be used to pressure local governance, and addresses the fears of retaliation against immigrants that trump has championed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Go start a thread promoting nihilistic contrarianism if it is so important for you to waste words on it.
Seems redundant, GBS already exists.

SlothSpot
Feb 14, 2012

apropos to nothing posted:

Please just ignore the posters who question the usefulness or who are dismissive of protesting. The thread is about protesting so let's focus on strategies and ways to organize and work in solidarity. One component I'm going to suggest that our community is pursuing is to demand that your local city declare itself a sanctuary city. It's a good first step I think, presents a clear demand that can be used to pressure local governance, and addresses the fears of retaliation against immigrants that trump has championed.
I thought this was a forum for, I dunno.. debate and discussion and not solely for organising protests? Maybe there should be a debate as to whether that protest should be going ahead in the first place. My opinion is it shouldn't be.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

apropos to nothing posted:

One component I'm going to suggest that our community is pursuing is to demand that your local city declare itself a sanctuary city. It's a good first step I think, presents a clear demand that can be used to pressure local governance, and addresses the fears of retaliation against immigrants that trump has championed.

That's a really awesome idea. I'm going to a gathering outside Austin city hall tomorrow morning that is focused on showing solidarity among and with immigrant communities. Travis County's newly elected sheriff, Sally Hernandez, has promised to turn Austin into a sanctuary city. If I have a chance, I'll speak for just a minute about her and that we all need to make sure she keeps her promise.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

SlothSpot posted:

I thought this was a forum for, I dunno.. debate and discussion and not solely for organising protests? Maybe there should be a debate as to whether that protest should be going ahead in the first place. My opinion is it shouldn't be.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

SlothSpot posted:

Take that poo poo to another thread.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SlothSpot posted:

Feel free to constructively contribute to discussion of the protests even ifit is to disagree with them! After all, as I said in the OP,

A big flaming stink posted:

or talk about how the protestors are whiny babies and you are Rudy Giuliani.

So if you are willing to move beyond pithy one-liners Mr. Giuliani, I would be happy to have your perspective in this thread. Specifically, if you think that the protests are an ill-advised choice of action, what would you suggest in their stead?

Also to everyone, I understand the urge to be dismissive or rude to those that come off as shitposting, but please try to be constructive, and if you believe someone is actively threadshitting, report and move on, or take the debate to our lovely uspol thread. Thanks!

Or to steal from Diogenis:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 12, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
^^^ ha ha, sorry

SlothSpot posted:

If you don't like the idea of people protesting, feel free to kiss my rear end.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SlothSpot posted:

Or maybe it shows that there's incredible fear mongering going on and people are so petulant that they immediately protest a democratically elected President. Do you not understand how that kind of protesting drives people away and doesn't help your cause? At least wait until the guy does something, anything. The reaction to Trump's victory has been absolutely pathetic.

He wasn't democratically elected. He literally came in second in the popular vote. He is absolutely not what a majority of Americans wanted.

He promised to ban an entire religion, deport an entire race, and carpet bomb the middle east. He promised to end gay rights, brutalize protesters, and destroy Obamacare.

Despite his message of "bring the jobs back" he's a supporter of trickle-down economics which has been proven to not create jobs repeatedly over the past several decades.

We know what he and the party he ran for stand for. America is loudly screaming "we don't want this. This is not the America we believe in."

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well, from last night we did the standard march for about 5 miles (god I wish I wasnt out of shape) and finished around 11. Smaller crowd than the two previous days and people were definitely peeling off near the end, but it was real loving cold so I suppose that's understandable. The organizers talked about taking the time to contact local reps and attend board meetings for local politics so its enheartening to hear talk about transitioning into grassroot politics already. It's somewhat perplexing to see multiple protests going on the same day and seemingly little effort to coordinate between them, but I'm kind of at a loss how to go about pursuing that (personally speaking).

I got one line in a local article so I guess that places me on the House of Un-American Activities List for next year, lol. On that note, my cousin introduced me to Signal Private Messaging, an app on Android that supposedly encrypts your texts and calls. It's trivial to install so if anyone has the slightest concern about privacy issues, or you are communicating with someone who does, this is a pretty simple quick fix.

Another protest at 6:30 tonight, I feel pretty tired and my voice is gone, but I still want to try and at least show up for the start of it. On the other hand, I spoke to one of the organizers last night and he said one of the goals today was to try and march onto the freeway which...sounds a bit dodgy to me, but I am a wimp at civil disobedience so my opinion probably doesn't count for much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
yeah a big part of all this is making sure you establish a network and organize collectively. Be prepared to bring a clipboard, pens, and paper to get people's contact info at any event if you don't know if anybody else is collecting it. once you have a network established you can mobilize much quicker when something goes down and you need people to show up ASAP. facebook is also great for this obviously so friend everyone you can that you meet at events.

• Locked thread